Jump to content


Photo

British Grand Prix - Early Discussion Thread! **Rain Alert**


  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

  • 7,202 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:18

So, here we are six days away from the British Grand Prix, which takes place at the Silverstone Circuit in Northamptonshire. The Drivers' Championship looks sweet for both Ferrari's, with Felipe Massa currently leading the way. Lewis Hamilton in the McLaren will be looking to rebound after two disappointing races in Canada and Magny Cours.

In what may give him some luck, the 1988 and 1998 races were both wet, and 10 and 20 years on respectively, 2008 is set to be another soggy time in Northamptonshire, with all major outlets predicting rain to dominate the weekend!

http://weather.msn.c...ons=wc:UKXX1916
http://uk.weather.co...rstone-UKXX1916

Discuss!! :clap:

Advertisement

#2 Owen

Owen
  • Member

  • 10,506 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:20

Rain and high speed corners. yikes.

#3 halr

halr
  • Member

  • 36 posts
  • Joined: June 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:27

rain would definitely make the race more interesting it was more or less a procession last year

#4 craftverk

craftverk
  • Member

  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:33

Don't believe forecasts this early from the actual race. Wait until Friday before you get too excited.

#5 RSNS

RSNS
  • Member

  • 1,494 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:53

Yes, forecasts like this are meaningless. As is usual in the British Isles, it may rain, and then perhaps not. :)

#6 genespleen

genespleen
  • Member

  • 343 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:05

Hard to say about Sunday. It looks like Lewis' recent form is still a bit shaky !

(har har har)

#7 president evil

president evil
  • Member

  • 173 posts
  • Joined: April 07

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:05

Have they finished building the new pit wall yet ?

#8 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,315 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:07

Originally posted by president evil
Have they finished building the new pit wall yet ?


Don't think they could race if they havent.

#9 Suzy

Suzy
  • Member

  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:09

New pitwall has been ready for ages and it's in use every time there's something on at the Circuit (during the week and most weekends). It looks very smart too and no drivers have managed to knock it down yet (although a few of the clubbies have had a damn good go!).

#10 postajegenye

postajegenye
  • Member

  • 1,139 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:30

It doesn't mean much if it says "showers".
It might rain at 5am and then be shiny all day or it can start raining at 9pm.

#11 Perigee

Perigee
  • Member

  • 895 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:39

Originally posted by postajegenye
It doesn't mean much if it says "showers".
It might rain at 5am and then be shiny all day or it can start raining at 9pm.

Agree...not worth getting excited about the prospect of rain just yet.

I hope it does rain though, usually adds to a bit of excitement, from a fan's POV.

#12 Mila

Mila
  • Member

  • 5,710 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:46

Originally posted by D.M.N.
. . . the 1988 and 1998 races were both wet, and 10 and 20 years on respectively, 2008 is set to be another soggy time in Northamptonshire, with all major outlets predicting rain to dominate the weekend!


the 1978 non-Championship F1 race at Silverstone had a downpour as well.

1988 worked out ok, but 1998 was ridiculous, with cars parked all over the place when the rain really hit.

#13 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,315 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:53

Originally posted by Perigee

Agree...not worth getting excited about the prospect of rain just yet.

I hope it does rain though, usually adds to a bit of excitement, from a fan's POV.


True, but the desire for rain rather depends on whether your sitting at home or at the track.

#14 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,315 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 30 June 2008 - 13:54

Suzy,

What or rather where is the "Royal Oak Public House Garden Open" that's on the entertainment timetable?

#15 craftverk

craftverk
  • Member

  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 14:02

We need a large weather system rather than the afternoon downpour, that way there won't be anyone making the wrong tyre choices due to the track being constantly wet - that way it'll all be down to pure skill.

#16 Youichi

Youichi
  • Member

  • 2,999 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 30 June 2008 - 14:56

Originally posted by craftverk
We need a large weather system rather than the afternoon downpour, that way there won't be anyone making the wrong tyre choices due to the track being constantly wet - that way it'll all be down to pure skill.


The Met-office forecast for the East Midland area has this to say for Saturday and Sunday:-

Starting off mainly dry with some sunshine across northern and eastern Britain on Saturday, before wet and quite windy weather spreads northeastwards to all parts by Sunday.



Obviously things will develop as we near the weekend.

#17 craftverk

craftverk
  • Member

  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:07

Originally posted by Youichi


The Met-office forecast for the East Midland area has this to say for Saturday and Sunday:-



Obviously things will develop as we near the weekend.

Ahh.. so we have a chance then. :cool:

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak
  • Member

  • 13,270 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:27

Official Weather Thread ..NOW OPEN.
http://live.autospor...ntary.php/id/24

Jp

#19 Garagiste

Garagiste
  • Member

  • 3,795 posts
  • Joined: January 00

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:27

Absolutely no way of telling just yet, but the weather form book has been ripped up.
Wimbledon fortnight and not a single drop so far - must be some kind of record!

Advertisement

#20 Owen

Owen
  • Member

  • 10,506 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:39

Originally posted by craftverk

Ahh.. so we have a chance then. :cool:


McLaren would have a chance wet or dry I reckon. :up:

#21 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,686 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:39

Jenson Button FTW!!!!!!!

#22 Owen

Owen
  • Member

  • 10,506 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:40

Originally posted by Buttoneer
Jenson Button FTW!!!!!!!


steady on there.

#23 rookie

rookie
  • Member

  • 416 posts
  • Joined: November 04

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:45

Hmm....rain.

Webber might be paying decent odds. Time for a wager I think.

#24 craftverk

craftverk
  • Member

  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:00

Originally posted by Owen


McLaren would have a chance wet or dry I reckon. :up:

Definitely, McLaren's development this year has been aggressive. Rain even better. I cannot wait.

#25 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,307 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:02

Originally posted by craftverk

Definitely, McLaren's development this year has been aggressive. Rain even better. I cannot wait.


I'm hoping for rain. Silverstone is a terminal bore without it.

#26 primer

primer
  • Member

  • 6,664 posts
  • Joined: April 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:06

Here's hoping Lewis does not have an early DNF and gets a good result, otherwise the crowd might get bored and walk out early.

#27 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,307 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:19

Originally posted by primer
Here's hoping Lewis does not have an early DNF and gets a good result, otherwise the crowd might get bored and walk out early.


Would make getting home easier since there will be less traffic :-)

#28 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,686 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:33

Good luck getting out of the car parks chaps.

#29 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,307 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 16:35

Bit of a tip might be parking in Northampton and just getting the shuttle bus from Northampton station to and from the circuit.

#30 Youichi

Youichi
  • Member

  • 2,999 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 30 June 2008 - 17:08

Originally posted by Buttoneer
Good luck getting out of the car parks chaps.


People always say things like this about Silverstone, but in '06 I drove straight in, parked about 400m from Stowe, in time for the GP2 race (Lewis won) and drove straight out afterwards, and didn't stop in traffic until I was half way down the M40 near High Wycombe, and this isn't the only occasion I've done this.

#31 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,315 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 30 June 2008 - 17:34

Originally posted by Youichi


People always say things like this about Silverstone, but in '06 I drove straight in, parked about 400m from Stowe, in time for the GP2 race (Lewis won) and drove straight out afterwards, and didn't stop in traffic until I was half way down the M40 near High Wycombe, and this isn't the only occasion I've done this.


It's the best comment some can make, and usually made by someone who has never even been there. I've always found Silverstone a doddle to get in and out of.

#32 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet
  • Member

  • 5,985 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 30 June 2008 - 21:51

Originally posted by Clatter
Suzy,

What or rather where is the "Royal Oak Public House Garden Open" that's on the entertainment timetable?


The Royal Oak is a very nice pub on the main road in Silverstone village, they usually have something or other going on on GP weekend ;)

The White Horse is nice too :)

#33 IOU 16

IOU 16
  • Member

  • 328 posts
  • Joined: July 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 21:53

Should be fun then. Seeing them tip toe through the esses should be real fun.

First true race without driver aids as well.

#34 karlth

karlth
  • Member

  • 16,248 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:53

Originally posted by IOU 16
Should be fun then. Seeing them tip toe through the esses should be real fun.

First true race without driver aids as well.


Monaco in the rain without TC probably wasn't easy either.

#35 black magic

black magic
  • Member

  • 3,860 posts
  • Joined: June 00

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:08

well will also be impt whether it is steady rain or changeing conditions.

kimi seems to struggle if changeing but is quick when settled. fred seems very quick as it changes. massa ?hmmm

will also be good to see lewis if hes not at the front and get another look at his wet weather abilities

#36 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,686 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:31

Originally posted by Clatter


It's the best comment some can make, and usually made by someone who has never even been there. I've always found Silverstone a doddle to get in and out of.

Not in this case. In this case the comment is made by someone who watched AA and RAC vans pulling cars out of the field behind maggots last year that had sunk to the sump in mud.

#37 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,315 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:58

Originally posted by Buttoneer
Not in this case. In this case the comment is made by someone who watched AA and RAC vans pulling cars out of the field behind maggots last year that had sunk to the sump in mud.


Must admit it was wet round that side. We were in the grass park behind club on the Friday and had no problems there. Don't think this year should present the same problems as we havent had the really bad weather leading up to the GP that we had last year.

#38 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,315 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:00

Originally posted by BuzzingHornet


The Royal Oak is a very nice pub on the main road in Silverstone village, they usually have something or other going on on GP weekend ;)

The White Horse is nice too :)


Suzy told me that it has been closed for a few years and looks like they are reopening this weekend. I was surprised to see it on the entertainment list.

#39 halr

halr
  • Member

  • 36 posts
  • Joined: June 08

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:05

it was very wet in the lead up last year - when I arrived on Thursday a number of campsites had been shut to to waterlogging.
the last two weeks of sunshine should hopefully mean this is avoided this year but I dont fancy it so much if there is heavy rain over the weekend!

Advertisement

#40 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,686 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:26

Originally posted by Clatter


Must admit it was wet round that side. We were in the grass park behind club on the Friday and had no problems there. Don't think this year should present the same problems as we havent had the really bad weather leading up to the GP that we had last year.

If a wet weekend is expected I can imagine the ground becoming quickly waterlogged, but no, the country as a whole is a lot dryer than the same time last year. Funny that we had a dry race last year then...

#41 Beej

Beej
  • Member

  • 409 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:32

Great Abbey Chicane in the wet, I can see them keeping me busy :-) I am glad I am going in my 4x4

#42 Andy35

Andy35
  • Member

  • 3,407 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:00

There's a huge low over the country that weekend, so it will be wet and windy. Might not be too windy if the centre of the depression goes over the midlands, but curently it is to the north

Here's the rain forecast

http://www.meteociel...ations/132h.htm

Not even band, but constant rain. Expect some high jinks from Lewis behind the safety car as they go around behind it for at least 50 laps :D

regards

Andy

#43 craftverk

craftverk
  • Member

  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:14

Originally posted by AndyW35
Might not be too windy if the centre of the depression goes over the midlands

Hmm... how does that compute?

#44 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,315 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:19

Originally posted by Buttoneer
If a wet weekend is expected I can imagine the ground becoming quickly waterlogged, but no, the country as a whole is a lot dryer than the same time last year. Funny that we had a dry race last year then...


Yep it was a blazing hot day, but the forecasts during the week were for rain.

#45 Andy35

Andy35
  • Member

  • 3,407 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:18

Originally posted by craftverk

Hmm... how does that compute?


Similar to the winds at the centre of a hurricane are less, but obviously not as much difference here.

The wind speeds are shown here

http://www.meteociel...925hpa/132h.htm

Regards

Andy

#46 craftverk

craftverk
  • Member

  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:23

Originally posted by AndyW35


Similar to the winds at the centre of a hurricane are less, but obviously not as much difference here.

The wind speeds are shown here

http://www.meteociel...925hpa/132h.htm

Regards

Andy

But the strongest winds are always around the centre, so asuming this system went over the midlands, the strongest winds would pass first, then the calmness of the centre, and then strong winds once again.

#47 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

  • 7,202 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:28

Sunday at the moment is set to be wet. Some reports have said AM Showers for Saturday, which could mean an interesting qualifying.

#48 Andy35

Andy35
  • Member

  • 3,407 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:52

Originally posted by craftverk

But the strongest winds are always around the centre, so asuming this system went over the midlands, the strongest winds would pass first, then the calmness of the centre, and then strong winds once again.


Yes, but it takes time to pass over and it would be calm then.. If the track of the centre is to the north then it will always be windy no matter what time the race starts. Currently it is predicted to the north.

Regards

Andy

#49 David M. Kane

David M. Kane
  • Member

  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:52

In the US is the race on FOX?

#50 FLB

FLB
  • Member

  • 1,925 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:56

I believe so, David. The GP2 race is on SpeedTV at 5:30PM.