• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:52

As an update to my previous thread:

http://forums.autosp...threadid=101109

It now appears that the motorcycle manufacturers are considering a breakaway series in the US.

http://moto-racing.s...eakaway-series/

I think that this can all be summed up in one word: ARGH!!!! :rolleyes:

While I don't agree at all with the plans that DMG have for the current AMA SBK series, there is plenty of evidence that having split series DOESN'T WORK and that having the manufacturers running the show DOESN'T WORK.

There's not enough decent tracks, decent riders, manufacturers, TV audience, and just general interest for one series. I can't see this working at all.

So far, in the US alone, we've had splits in open-wheel, winged sprint cars, and sports car racing. The only one that has continued is the sports car split. The "Outlaw" sprint cars were smart enough to quickly realize that they made a big mistake and got back together after 1 year. The open-wheel split just managed to nearly kill the sport, created the monster that is NASCAR, and cost a lot of people a huge amount of money.

Advertisement

#2 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 15:21

i never understood what the ama wants todo:/

#3 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 17:58

Originally posted by pingu666
i never understood what the ama wants todo:/

Become Grand Am of bikes. Run bikes that are as equal as possbile to create close, artifical racing.

Nasbike is what is essentially will become.

If the AMA does become Nasbike, I see all the factories leaving and adding to there WSBK and British SBK programs. SBK is dead in the US.

Next American WC's will come from GP feeder classes.

#4 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 18:07

but its not needed? last time i checked its only Kawasaki who are off the pace, only guy with more than the odd bit of success on em is ryan farquar :)

and a tuned 600cc vs a 1000 streetish bike would probably be very close in terms of laptimes, so seems pointless to me :

#5 IOU 16

IOU 16

• 328 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 18:13

Originally posted by pingu666
but its not needed? last time i checked its only Kawasaki who are off the pace, only guy with more than the odd bit of success on em is ryan farquar :)

and a tuned 600cc vs a 1000 streetish bike would probably be very close in terms of laptimes, so seems pointless to me :

It's not the 600-1000 deal. It is that they want to make the racing equal. Suzuki would not win every race, but you'd have a Honda win one race, then a Yamaha, then a Buell (which beings more issues).

I mentioned above, Buell. This DMG so far has a Buell, KTM, and a few Japanese naked bikes listed as bikes eligible to run in the 600Daytona Superbike class next year.

It will be like Nascar. More about the show than the on track product.

The break-away series is not needed and most likely will not happen as either DMG will not go ahead with their plans (odds are against them doing that), or they leave North America all together and bike racing suffers a slow death, as many club riders and privateers use the contingency money of the factories to race.