Photo

Donington Park

• Please log in to reply
1567 replies to this topic

#1401 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 20:18

Who was driving the Benetton B192 and the Footwork Arrows? I assume Lorina was driving the B193?

According to the prog Eddie Mclurg in Footwork and Lorina McLaughlin in B192.

Advertisement

#1402 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:48

This was the first time that I recall taking photos from under a brolly since I started in '69!

Posted Image

#1403 Thundersport

Thundersport

• 468 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 22:41

Double doh yes Lorina is a B192 and old Eddie has changed his skid lid! So who drove the other Benetton?

Edited by Thundersport, 05 October 2010 - 22:43.

#1404 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:21

Double doh yes Lorina is a B192 and old Eddie has changed his skid lid! So who drove the other Benetton?

This is where you have the advantage of me, because I know nothing about those modern cars, however, the programme lists John Reaks in a B190 and Barry Walker in a B193. I have no idea if all three ran, it was a bit like modern F1 "race": only one car visible at any time and they all look the same to me.

The old man from the age of the Lotus 25. :rotfl:

Edited by elansprint72, 06 October 2010 - 07:49.

#1405 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,897 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:42

I know very little, but I thought Lorina's helmet was pink.

#1406 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,847 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:35

This was the first time that I recall taking photos from under a brolly since I started in '69!

Posted Image

You obviously don't get out enough! :rotfl:

#1407 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,766 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:57

I know very little, but I thought Lorina's helmet was pink.

It certainly was at this year's FoS:

Posted Image

#1408 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 22:23

Dropped into the Collection today- three things you might like to know:

1. You guys have sunk your last pint in Redgate Lodge.
2. If you are interested in World Touring Cars you might like to pencil in the week-end after the Grand Prix.
3. The Old Nail has a flat tyre.

;)

Posted Image

#1409 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 23:04

Ta for that Pete! I was there between 2 and 2.30 for a cuppa. The Redgate was supposed to be getting `moved` somewhere else because of the reprofiling required by the gravel trap etc. WTC would be a real coup for DP, but I am led to believe it is in the long term plans for Donington to get an Hotel onsite with full leisure facilities. Nothing concrete yet, but be ready for one of the middle weekends in August to crop up on the calendar aswell. I am working on that one right now so here`s hoping! BTW - great piccy of Abba`s Matra!!

Edited by Pink Snail, 07 October 2010 - 23:05.

#1410 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,755 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:14

Dropped into the Collection today- three things you might like to know:
1. You guys have sunk your last pint in Redgate Lodge.

You heard it here first......Some of you were a little sceptical at the time

....while the Redgate Lodge is to be demolished.

#1411 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:54

3. The Old Nail has a flat tyre.

But at least they are the original tyres!!

#1412 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:22

You heard it here first......Some of you were a little sceptical at the time

Note sceptical - just horrified in disbelief :down:

#1413 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,141 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:33

Note sceptical - just horrified in disbelief :down:

On Sunday it was only selling Tetleys and some fizzy yellow stuff on draught - so I actually had my last pint there over a year ago. Definitely had that 'winding down' feeling about it, though the people behind the bar were as friendly as ever.

#1414 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:53

Until somewhere more permanent becomes available, the on-site catering company are intending to use the big green `bus-bar` that was parked outside the paddock suite at the `Donington Revived` event last month. There were some good remarks about the `merchandise` on offer, so all is not lost people! There was also a whisper that the Redgate lodge may have been listed so could be rebuilt close by...hmmmm :confused:

#1415 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:35

Until somewhere more permanent becomes available, the on-site catering company are intending to use the big green `bus-bar` that was parked outside the paddock suite at the `Donington Revived` event last month. There were some good remarks about the `merchandise` on offer, so all is not lost people! There was also a whisper that the Redgate lodge may have been listed so could be rebuilt close by...hmmmm :confused:

Best not to rush into listing a building if you want to move it, as I understand it (and I'm usually wrong) if you list it, you can make very few changes, let alone move it! One for the lawyers out there?

#1416 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 18:11

Like I say, it was a whisper or rumour. The Redgate looks a lot younger than the other buildings round and about (I could be wrong :rolleyes: ). If it is a listed building and the Redgate kitty litter has to be changed for safety concerns, then something will have to give. Whilst there last week I took a look at just how close it is to the track. There isn`t much room for a car to go wide at the end of the straight into Redgate so maybe it would be in everyone`s interest to shift the lodge and leave the corner as it is.
I remember seeing a picture (Imay have a copy somewhere) of an F3 car mid flight going backwards over the 5 bar gate at the corner there :eek: , which is now where you get the first look of the circuit as you come past the Lodge.

#1417 mikeC

mikeC

• 602 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 19:59

Coppice Lodge and Starkeys Bridge are the only two structures on the Register of Listed Buildings

#1418 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 17:14

Ta for that Mike. Glad to know that someone is prepared to update us on such matters. I hate having to assume or presume such things. I only try to relay what I learn from my regular pop-ins at the collection cafe. I am sure that whatever happens in the regeneration project from now on, it will all be positive steps in the right direction in the best interests of us all, spectators and competitors alike. :up:

#1419 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:04

I thought that this was just fabulous; and only the third time it has ever raced too!

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1420 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:14

Posted Image

:smoking:

#1421 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 18:48

Does anyone know for certain what the current state of the Exhibition hall is (not the Collection)?

#1422 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 20:46

Last I heard Pete, was that the contractors a year ago decided to strip the centre of it`s valuable scrap and left it in a right mess. Funny thing is though, the Autojumble people used it on the Save Donington day back in March :| . The gardening needs doing (or did last time I looked) and with a bit of smartening up it could once again thrive as a function location :cool: .
By the way, it has been written in this week`s Autosport that Donington Park looks to have secured the 2011 round of the WTCC meeting here in England :clap: :clap: , taking over from Brands Hatch. If all goes to plan and it is confirmed soon, things are already starting to look good and Kevin looks like being rewarded for his efforts of the last few months!! :up:

#1423 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:25

Some good news for next year :) :)

http://www.newspress...amp;pr_ref=2569

PAR

#1424 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 19:31

... and a bit more good news: the Club Lotus Show and Festival looks like being back at Donington next year; provisional date is 20-21 August, there might be a Lotus-only track day on Friday 19th and there will be some Elise racing over the same week-end.

#1425 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 14:38

VSCC See Red 2010.
It was all going so well for Brian Arculus in the Elite, romping away from the field.

Posted Image

Then, coming up to lap a couple of Astons...
Charlie Bell suddenly snapped sideways...

Posted Image

And the rest is history...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1426 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 121 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 18:21

Pete,
Thank you for posting and for remembering my previous request ! What an unlikely sequence of events. As a previous racer in Mark Campbell's wonderful series, I sympathise with both drivers.
Nick

#1427 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 19:59

Finally looking good for DP one year on from all `that bother` :rolleyes: ....2011 already shapes up well : initial `Historic Event` (early May Bank Holiday), WTCC, BTCC, WSBK, Masters weekend to include Group C/GTP, all the domestic usuals and maybe a few more returning once things look better...who would have thought it? :love:

#1428 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 20:02

Pete,
Thank you for posting and for remembering my previous request ! What an unlikely sequence of events. As a previous racer in Mark Campbell's wonderful series, I sympathise with both drivers.
Nick

Nick,
Sorry it took so long; reasons beyond my control!

Mr Snail,
Just shows what can happen if a bunch of determined folks really want something. Congratulations to all involved; I can think of one "old bugger" who is looking down and smiling! :clap:

#1429 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,803 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 21:13

Speaking of Donington, I just recently ordered this from MOTORGRAPHS
http://www.motorgrap...fromsearch=true

#1430 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 21:16

There are some cracking pre-war pictures in the shop at the collection at present. Some are a few quid but collectable and then there are some postcard sized pictures in the cheaper racks...well worth a look!

#1431 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 750 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:01

Morning! :wave:

Just to give a heads up for a forthcoming programme that may be of interest to those living in the East Midlands.

The BBC's "Inside Out" regional opt-out programme for the East Midlands on Monday 13th December will have a story on (hush) Simon Gillett. The traler states that "they've caught up with the man who nearly destroyed Donington". The programme is due to be aired at 1930 on BBC1 in the East Midlands only.

Just thought you should know!

Edited by Pullman99, 11 December 2010 - 06:01.

#1432 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:35

And didn't we work out that non-Midlanders can get that programme later on IPlayer?

#1433 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,766 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:52

Last Monday's programme is currently available to view, so I think we can be quietly confident.

#1434 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 168 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:47

It's not just those in the East Midlands who will be interested either ...

#1435 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 750 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:41

It's not just those in the East Midlands who will be interested either ...

Quite!... Should make for some interesting viewing.

Edited by Pullman99, 11 December 2010 - 09:42.

#1436 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:04

From what we can see in those pictures the place looks quite tidy. Perhaps the scars are healing up ?

What are the pluses and minuses for the place following all the work and disruption that was caused ?

Edited by RTH, 11 December 2010 - 12:05.

#1437 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,541 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:20

And didn't we work out that non-Midlanders can get that programme later on IPlayer?

Or channel 980 on Sky :wave: (Yes, David, I know you haven't got Sky!)

#1438 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 20:28

From what we can see in those pictures the place looks quite tidy. Perhaps the scars are healing up ?

What are the pluses and minuses for the place following all the work and disruption that was caused ?

RTH, the pictures show that the track and outer limits are fine most way round. The outside from McLeans to Coppice needed a lot of work due to the destruction that took place whilst the `tunnel` was dug. The Infield needs work aswell but throughout the winter Kevin has plans to get it all ready for the 2011 calendar so we as paying punters have access all areas again. The Hollywood Hospitality suites were in a sad state post Gillett due to disgruntled unpaid contractors helping themselves to anything of value so I am led to believe. The work will hopefully be carried out in time for HSE and the MSA to certify the whole of Donington Park to be deemed useable once more.
The Melbourne loop was used recently during the VW Funcup meeting so the circuit (tarmac) must be okay.
The plusses therefore: full racing Calendar for 2011 with many 1000s of happy Save Donington members, improved facilities (in due course), WSB, BSB, WTC, BTCC, Thundersports, Trucks, HFO, Masters Racing and much more...
The Minuses will be the constant stream of negative minded minority who this time last year were looking at Donington as a car park for the airport, housing or commercial development, filling the place in/flooding it to become a lake or whatever else they had in mind!!
We can be very proud as true enthusiasts, that DP is where it is now thanks to people power and the realisation from Kevin Wheatcroft that Tom`s legacy needs to carry on contributing to British Motorsport...KM

#1439 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 750 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 16:24

Last Monday's programme is currently available to view, so I think we can be quietly confident.

I think that the Inside Out programme originally shown on BBC1 on the 13th December can be accessed under "previous programmes" for a lkittle while. Interesting to seee Mr Gillettt's reacion to his six-month driving ban. He attended court in an Overfinch Range Rover whose registration number was shown very clearly! Programme link here:

Inside Out - Simon Gillett - 13th December 2010

Advertisement

#1440 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,265 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 00:04

You obviously don't get out enough! :rotfl:

That does not look fun at all. Elderly open cars, poor driver is soaked and the poor cars will take forever to clean properly again.

#1441 LeroyBoyce

LeroyBoyce

• 54 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 22:03

Hello all,

Lee from Save Donington here.

Looks like 2011 will (almost) be as if nothing ever happened.

Just so you know, SD still has a big part to play in Donington's future. The Facebook (and all it's members) are still making waves with the people who matter.

There should be more news on its way in the New Year...

Thanks so much for all your support and help over the last year. It was quite an adventure - and one that is sure to continue (hence the logo change!).

Here's to a bright future at good ol' Donny - See you there!

Regards,

Lee Coombs
Save Donington founder

#1442 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 18:28

In the last 3 weeks there has been two excellent pieces in two of the top magazines covering our sport, about the Donington Collection and how it is fabulous value for money. The exhibits are fantastic and it is quite some collection. I urge anyone who is within 50 miles of Donington to pay it a visit and see for yourself just how good it is!
The staff are all very pleasant and I can honestly say I still haven`t got to see evrything on show and I have been a few times. The best thing to do is allow to get there for late morning and have a coffee in the cafe before having a few hours appreciating just what the late Tom Wheatcroft has actually left for us to look at.

#1443 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 18:52

In the last 3 weeks there has been two excellent pieces in two of the top magazines covering our sport, about the Donington Collection and how it is fabulous value for money. The exhibits are fantastic and it is quite some collection. I urge anyone who is within 50 miles of Donington to pay it a visit and see for yourself just how good it is!
The staff are all very pleasant and I can honestly say I still haven`t got to see evrything on show and I have been a few times. The best thing to do is allow to get there for late morning and have a coffee in the cafe before having a few hours appreciating just what the late Tom Wheatcroft has actually left for us to look at.

Fifty miles? I made a 200 mile round trip to visit the collection today and thoroughly enjoyed it. An exceptional array of machinery on show, and well deserving of a visit by anyone who considers themselves to be a racing fan.

#1444 JockinSA

JockinSA

• 127 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 20:53

Well, it's great that all of this hard work has started to pay off to save DP. I can only say that I am glad that this has happened for all of you. I can only hope that we here in SA will be able to muster the kind of people power that you did if some of the garbled reports that we are getting about the future of Kyalami are anything to go by. Same situation with the finances etc with a bunch of sharks owing money all over the place and banks and mortgages and and and and..... Ubfortunately no one really wants to actually say anything so that something may possibly be done about it.

We all are just waiting to see some light and then something may be able to be put together to do something about it.

Best of luck for the future.

#1445 JockinSA

JockinSA

• 127 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 20:55

Well, it's great that all of this hard work has started to pay off to save DP. I can only say that I am glad that this has happened for all of you. I can only hope that we here in SA will be able to muster the kind of people power that you did if some of the garbled reports that we are getting about the future of Kyalami are anything to go by. Same situation with the finances etc with a bunch of sharks owing money all over the place and banks and mortgages and and and and..... Ubfortunately no one really wants to actually say anything so that something may possibly be done about it.

We all are just waiting to see some light and then something may be able to be put together to do something about it.

#1446 JockinSA

JockinSA

• 127 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 20:55

#1447 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 282 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 21:05

You can say that again!!!

Marticelli

#1448 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 13:59

Well Jock, it took one guy`s (thanks Lee! :clap: ) initiative to rise above all the money people connected with Donington to make the people who had worked so hard in the past for and at Donington to realise there was a fan base for the track :love: . 8500 of us turned up on March 7th last year and that made the decision making a little easier for Kevin Wheatcroft regarding the future.
Yes - there were dreamers out there that had some awesome plans and some great ideas :stoned: , but no secure financial plan backed up the intentions of the said people :well: .
In the end, people power showed through and we now have a full season ahead of us at Donington :cool: . Only knowing what has been printed in various publications in recent months, I can`t even begin to think what mess Kyalami is in :eek: . Firstly, if the land/circuit owners have any sense, they`ll wipe out any `dream-schemes` of grandeur and revert to getting the track race ready as cheaply as possible :smoking: . Getting a fan base for the track is next - Donington has the DPRAC :up: - and showing public suppoprt for what in these hard times financially, by getting punters through the gates. At Donington there was NO track action just static displays by loads of clubs who use or used the track previously ;) . No admission was charged but buckets were put out for collections and I do know that donations fell just short of £10,000!!! :drunk:
I wish the best for the classic tracks around the world, Bernie`s travelling circus tend`s to lean towards specially designed arcade game type features :yawnface: , whereas most of the `racing` these days comes courtesy of the classic events held at such tracks as Brands Hatch, DP, Dijon, Paul Ricard, Estoril, Jarama, Zaandvoort, Spa, Zolder, Monza, Imola, Nogaro, A1 Ring to name a few!! :up: I know taht noise pollution has become an issue over the years :cry: but the commercial revenue for local business to the tracks is immense!! I know of a couple near Donington who were down £30,000 in the time Donington Park was laid up with no action :eek: - that`s about a years total income for my wife & I!!!
Good luck to Kyalami hope it all goes well, in time the classic guys may just put it on the calendar - who knows? :well: ...

#1449 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:13

The Save Donington Campaign meeting at Donington Park took place a year ago today! :up: :clap:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-03-06

Well done Lee. Kevin & everyone! :wave:

Edited by Giraffe, 06 March 2011 - 12:15.

#1450 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 16:19

Fifty miles? I made a 200 mile round trip to visit the collection today and thoroughly enjoyed it. An exceptional array of machinery on show, and well deserving of a visit by anyone who considers themselves to be a racing fan.

200 miles? I flew from California to see the collection. Ok I had some other business like MotoGP to attend to but still made the collection a must do part of the trip for a colleague and myself. DP was the first race track outside of my native Ireland I ever visited and remains one of my favorite places in the world. So best wishes and thank you to those who stepped up to "Save Donington"!

Mo