Photo

Donington Park

• Please log in to reply
1567 replies to this topic

#1501 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 21:06

My favourite British circuit, looking forward to the new viewing opportunities from a rebuilt infield, I just hope they don't put up any unnecessary high fencing.

Is anyone else going for the GT1/F3/British GT event this weekend? It will be my 7th trip down there this year.

Advertisement

#1502 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 747 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 15:32

Not quite sure whether to post this under one of the Donington threads or under "Personal Photos from Museums"; but here goes , anyway.

Another TNF member has asked me to comment on the saga of the ex-World Cup Rally Triumph 2500 of Brian Culcheth / Johnstone Syer - XJB305H. I used to know this car quite well when I worked for whatever BL called itself that week in the early 1970s. Back in 1975, Leyland Historic Vehicles Limited was created amongst the detritus of BLMC following full Nationalisation at the end of 1974. The aim was to bring together the various vehicles and archives that had previously been looked after separately by the individual BL companies or related custodians. During 1976, some of the key vehicles were brought together and displayed at Donington in two of the Halls that were, presumably, spare at the time. So the Historic collection was entered through the halls containing the Grand Prix cars and the other "permanent" displays. I went to the opening (and later to the opening of the Syon Park exhibition too after the cars were removed from Donington). There was a bit of a falling out, I seem to recall, not least over the "ownership" of the Austin single-seaters.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pics of that particular display and I am not sure if the WCR Triumph was there or not (I belive that it was). Does anyone have any pics taken in the three years or so that the Leyland collection was at Donington? Or, indeed, could confirm if the Triumph was there or not.

Related to this, of course, is whether anyone has any pics of the relocated displays at Syon Park.

#1503 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,906 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:25

Does anyone have a photo of the cars that used to be on the roof above the entrance?
I'm particularly interested in the Lotus (an 18 with aluminium 21 style bodywork) which I used to own, but would be interested in the others as well.

#1504 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:01

The annual Masters Series Antarctic test day took place at Donington yesterday.....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Good to see John Grant out again in his rebuilt McLaren
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1505 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:57

The annual Masters Series Antarctic test day took place at Donington yesterday.....

...but the long necked one did make a good windbreak for a while - it was very cold :cool:

This was my first visit to Donington since the GP debacle and it's obviously work in progress. It's also a pity that a lot of the photo opportunities for the average punter are though the debris fencing, but that's progress I suppose.

John Burton was out in Mike Wrigley's B16 but had a bit of a fright when the throttle stuck open at Coppice. He managed to release the pedal by pumping it, the car stopped just short of the barriers although half the gravel trap seemed to come back in the nosecone of the car!
Posted Image

This as far as Mike Wrigley got in the morning as the 711 developed a major oil leak which required removal of the oil tank.
Posted Image

Well held sir!
Posted Image

Martin Stretton was quick in the F2 Chevron.
Posted Image

Cool Jag
Posted Image

Little and Large
Posted Image

Just love Group C
Posted Image

#1506 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 16:06

Lovely set Alan :)

PAR

#1507 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 18:45

Lovely set Alan :)

PAR

Thank you. Even though I brought some gloves camera shake was still a problem...it was cold!

A few more.
Posted Image

Simon Hadfield was busy. A lovely Lola T280 (I think)..
Posted Image

...and a Hesketh
Posted Image

Removing the oil tank from the 711
Posted Image

An arty farty pit garage shot :)
Posted Image

#1508 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 19:11

Great shots, cannot wait to see the Group C cars in action at the Donington Historic festival, surprised to see many of them left after the carnage at La Sarthe at the 24 Hours of Le Mans support race.

#1509 eggsy

eggsy

• 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 21:04

Anyone know if the Infield has been repaired as per the press release last year ?

"Phase One of the infield restoration will be completed by end-March 2013. This will see the eastern half of the infield restored."

#1510 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 21:39

I noticed some cars got duct tape over the front or noses. Why is that?

#1511 mfd

mfd

• 2,889 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 22:28

I noticed some cars got duct tape over the front or noses. Why is that?

Because it was cold

#1512 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,115 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:05

Anyone know if the Infield has been repaired as per the press release last year ?

"Phase One of the infield restoration will be completed by end-March 2013. This will see the eastern half of the infield restored."

Not sure what needed to be 'repaired' but watching club races from there last week the infield looked to be a pile of mud :cry:

#1513 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:45

Not sure what needed to be 'repaired' but watching club races from there last week the infield looked to be a pile of mud :cry:

That may be about to change ...........this was today :D

1374931_10201869122877324_969970434_n.jp

#1514 mfd

mfd

• 2,889 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 17:46

That may be about to change ...........this was today :D

1374931_10201869122877324_969970434_n.jp

What is that?

#1515 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:36

Looks like topsoil which is being landscaped by bulldozers to hopefully create an infield viewing area ?

PAR

#1516 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,115 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:49

Looks like topsoil which is being landscaped by bulldozers to hopefully create an infield viewing area ?

PAR

For what do they need an infield viewing area? Most events I watch from there on TV not a single spectator can be seen :cry: Simlar from Silverstone-vast banks of empy blue seats..Only Goodwood seems to attract a crowd apart from F1 GP?

#1517 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:13

Might be going to plant a crop to help make the place pay for itself.  :drunk:

#1518 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 19:10

Might of course be for the "Monsters of Rock Concert"

#1519 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 20:16

Might of course be for the "Monsters of Rock Concert"

Download Festival these days Phil. Last Monsters of Rock was 1996 !

Advertisement

#1520 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,375 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:10

There were more drivers than spectators yesterday. :(

#1521 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:00

There were more drivers than spectators yesterday. :(

Its the same everywhere, I was at the first round of the MSV F4 at Silverstone earlier this year and didn't see a single other spectator.

I'll be at Donington for the British GT final next week, see how the infield looks.

#1522 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:51

Two day meeting at Donington last weekend ..........some 20 + races the Paddock was rammed, huge grids and fantastic racing

However the competitors and marshals outnumbered the spectators probably 5:1 :(

1376322_10201886266745910_1667047559_n.j

#1523 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,857 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 14:22

Posted from his sickbed.

#1524 blacklab

blacklab

• 21 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 13:30

Is any one going to tomorrows practice day at Donington- its fully booked so there may well be British GT cars in advance of the weekends events.

#1525 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,736 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:25

For what do they need an infield viewing area? Most events I watch from there on TV not a single spectator can be seen :cry: Simlar from Silverstone-vast banks of empy blue seats..Only Goodwood seems to attract a crowd apart from F1 GP?

You ought to get out more! Visit either Prescott or Shelsley VSCC meetings or Cholmondley Pageant of Power.

#1526 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:25

You ought to get out more! Visit either Prescott or Shelsley VSCC meetings or Cholmondley Pageant of Power.

They are splendid events, but not motor races.

#1527 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,736 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:16

They are splendid events, but not motor races.

Surely Goodwood Festival of Speed is neither a "motor race" nor a hillclimb! 

#1528 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:59

Of course one of the reasons that Silverstone often looks empty is that they only open select grandstands for events, so International Pit Straight might be full of fans but the more visible on TV Stowe could be closed.

Every round of the BTCC attracts good crowds, 10,000 at Rockingham last month for example and certainly a good number last week at Silverstone. Obviously the British Superbikes and MotoGP can fill a circuit with fans. Don't forget Santa Pod raceway for the FIA European Drag Racing events, never a spare seat there.

Club races are never going to attract big crowds these days - the hardcore motorsports fan will probably be at home watching racing on television or travelling elsewhere in the country (last weekend was the Silverstone BTCC round which would have taken fans from any events at Donington or Rockingham for example). The fact that there are some paying spectators at all is a good thing - most similar level soccer or rugby matches near me are completely free to attend and still don't get any watchers unrelated to the players.

#1529 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:37

Couldn't see anything different there yesterday when sat at the Old Hairpin - must be further around.

I would rather that Donington invested the money in getting the race commentary broadcast on radio like Silverstone and the MSV circuits do. The noise of the GT cars was more than enough to completely block out Johnny Palmer's commentary from the speakers yesterday so I had to keep referring to the British GT twitter feed to find out what was going on.

#1530 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 167 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:29

Whilst I agree with the comment regarding the PA and the need for a decent Radio Donington, I confess to being slightly disappointed with the (lack of) noise from the GTs. The Merc sounds great, but the others seemed a little muted. Perhaps I have been spoilt by GT1s at Le Mans ...

Otherwise an enjoyable afternoon - lovely weather too.

#1531 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:04

Fiest trip of the year to the East Midlands venue ........bright sunshine all day

1604400_10203134461109989_1144903745_n.j

Good to see some new buildings at the circuit.

1456599_10203134477030387_879376541_n.jp

Edited by Phil Rainford, 24 March 2014 - 17:18.

#1532 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 15:45

Those Formula E banners must be new, were not there on Tuesday for the BTCC Media Day. Was the infield at Craner open? It was all closed-off on Tues, the only access on the in-field being to the newly rebuilt start-line grandstand.

Here is the bridge-less Starkey's

13293139953_127478a06a_c.jpg
The newer look Donington Park by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

And another shot of the new buildings, without banners:

13292969073_f920ae56a8_c.jpg
The new Formula E base under construction by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

#1533 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 17:23

There was no access at all to the infield......I was told it was because of all the earth they are moving about, makes it dangerous for spectators at present

Which meant I walked virtually all the way round the crcuit for the first time in years !!

PAR

#1534 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 23:14

There was no access at all to the infield......I was told it was because of all the earth they are moving about, makes it dangerous for spectators at present

Ah, probably because people kept walking around the barriers on Tuesday.

The grassy section was/is still there, complete with park benches, but the fencing had all been taken down and there were huge volumes of earth moving equipment at work on Tuesday putting down tonnes of soil. I'm presuming they are planning to put the fences back so the in-field will be open in time for the BTCC and Historic weekends, when at the very least they are used for the promotional tents/car clubs.

The new hills they are constructing will provide some great new viewing locations, although I wouldn't be surprised to find full size fencing running the full infield as it now does on the outside.

#1535 BRG

BRG

• 11,610 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 19:35

I was there on Saturday (750MC meeting) and it was good to see the place finally nearly back to normal after its near death experience of as few years ago.  I was alarmed when the commentator mentioned that Starkey's Bridge had been removed, but the pic above reassures me that it was just the modern bit that has gone, not the old bridge.  Mind you, he was an interesting commentator, whoever it was.  I have never heard the phrase "There they go down to the hairpin and back past the bouncy castle" in a race commentary before!  Said bouncy castle being at the back of the paddock.  And just who is funding all those Formula E buildings??

#1536 bsc

bsc

• 37 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 20:10

Mind you, he was an interesting commentator, whoever it was.  I have never heard the phrase "There they go down to the hairpin and back past the bouncy castle" in a race commentary before!  Said bouncy castle being at the back of the paddock.  And just who is funding all those Formula E buildings??

The commentator was Ian Sowman.

I don't know who is paying for the Formula E buildings; however, an outline planning application was submitted about a year ago prior to Formula E deciding to move to Donington. The reserved matters was submitted towards the end of last year once the Formula E deal had been done. Whether the development would've proceeded without the Formula E deal is debatable and probably a question only Donington can answer.

#1537 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,375 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 00:06

Snip...

I would rather that Donington invested the money in getting the race commentary broadcast on radio like Silverstone and the MSV circuits do.

Snip...

MSV radio broadcast: please tell us more.

#1538 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,375 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 00:10

With regard to the massive amounts of earth-moving over the last several years... "Oi ya booger; I hope tha got top price for that load of soil..." Tom, we miss you.

#1539 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,736 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:01

And just who is funding all those Formula E buildings??

A new 'building' appeared at Pembrey a few seasons back. It was called the Kimi Raikkonen Centre and was for "education" as such it received a fair bit of government money (both English & Welsh). If the purpose of the Formula E buildings is partly educational then that could be 'our' money but with the ecological nature of Formula E I suspect the funding would mainly come from Central Government.

Advertisement

#1540 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,708 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:04

A new 'building' appeared at Pembrey a few seasons back. It was called the Kimi Raikkonen Centre and was for "education" as such it received a fair bit of government money (both English & Welsh). If the purpose of the Formula E buildings is partly educational then that could be 'our' money but with the ecological nature of Formula E I suspect the funding would mainly come from Central Government.

Government, either national or local, has no money of its own.

So it is our (taxpayers') money either way.

#1541 BRG

BRG

• 11,610 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 16:13

I suspect the funding would mainly come from Central Government.

I would be truly gobsmacked if that was the case, given the cuts that this government has made all over the shop.  UK governments do not, and never have AFAIK, put money into motor sport - I believe that is engraved over the doorway to the Treasury.

#1542 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 16:37

Business and Energy Minister The Rt Hon Michael Fallon MP added: “Formula E's decision to locate the international teams and its global HQ at Donington Park shows how Britain's thriving motorsport industry is continuing to attract international investment. With investment from the Government's Growing Places Fund - secured through the Leicestershire Local Enterprise Partnership - Formula E's new facilities will further promote Britain as a leading innovator in developing technologies for energy-efficient cars. Motorsport is now one of the key growth sectors, and a great British success story."

PAR

#1543 BRG

BRG

• 11,610 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 17:32

Colour me gobsmacked.

#1544 john aston

john aston

• 821 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:36

So..we moan when they don't invest in motor sport (ignoring the Silverstone bypass for the moment) and are outraged when they do because ..err.. it's the wrong sort of motor sport because leccy cars  sounds rubbish and it's all part of a global  conspiracy , right ?   

#1545 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,364 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:04

:lol:        :up:

DCN

#1546 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 19:44

Who's attending the HSCC meet there this Sunday?

#1547 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,375 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 19:59

Who's attending the HSCC meet there this Sunday?

None of the above, presumably.   ;)

Who is attending the Historic Festival over this week-end?

1.  Me.

#1548 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 579 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:50

I'll be at the Historic on Sunday, with the Frogeye. You will find me mostly at the Midget & Sprite Club stand 

#1549 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:12

What a great photo love it. Thanks Phil
1604400_10203134461109989_1144903745_n.j

Edited by eldougo, 03 May 2014 - 07:16.

#1550 john aston

john aston

• 821 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:12

Me too on Sunday - on Lotus Seven Club stand ; actually my car will. I prefer to watch racing cars !