Donington Park

• Please log in to reply
1567 replies to this topic

#151 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,263 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 17:38

I know a lot of TNFers never venture into RC, but I'd welcome your votes on this poll I've posted there:

http://forums.autosp...threadid=102513

Don't worry, you can just vote and come straight back here without having to meet the great unwashed .... :lol:

Advertisement

#152 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 18:29

Originally posted by simonlewisbooks

Here' a little example given to me by a chap who runs a very big business on both sides of the Atlantic while handing over a credit card to buy a few books -

"How much do you get charged for that Visa transaction?"
"about 3.5%"
"Jesus! In the States it's about 0.25% ! You should get yourself a US bank account, it'll save you a fortune!"

The fact Britain and the US are thousands of miles apart means zip. The major banks are all international so this little example highlights how fees for the very same service using most probably the very same banks and even the same computer system , operated by the same person, possibly in a country thousands of miles away from either Britain or the US , compare.

Like I said . Rip-off Britain.... wish it wasn't, but it is!

Visa's USA Commercial Standard Interchange Reimbursement Fee is 2.70% + $0.10 per transaction. You say you're paying more, but 1400%?
You can't take just one anecdotal instance as "proof". Have you considered the relative costs of medical services for instance? Tax/service ratio?
Admittedly I live and earn in the Eurozone. For precisely the same work, for which I use the internet, I can expect to be paid 35 - 45% of my normal rate if I work for a source in USA. Rip-off USA? Well, the $ was worth as much as €1.17 in 2000, now it's €0.64.
Lately Brits over here in France are complaining about high prices here compared with UK (rip-off France), but the £ has dropped 20% against the € in the last 9 months or so and they are paid in £ ....
The grass is always greener.

#153 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,193 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 18:47

Originally posted by Kpy

Lately Brits over here in France are complaining about high prices here compared with UK (rip-off France), but the £ has dropped 20% against the € in the last 9 months or so and they are paid in £ ....
The grass is always greener.

I was in France the week before last, and prices have indeed increased over the last 6 months or so, though largely due to currency movements of course. Diesel & petrol seem to be about the same as the UK, and French Hotel and Restaurant prices have increased noticeably, though they are still a bargain compared to the UK. French friends bemoan the lowering of their culinary standards, which makes me think they don't leave their own country all that much. We enjoyed excellent lunchtime coquilles st jacques from the 11.50 Euro plat du jour menu in a transport café near Rennes, much appreciated by the local truckers. Just try finding something like that around a UK city like Birmingham.

#154 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 18:55

If you were at Rennes , did you go to this most amazing museum which amongst the 300 + vehicles has a whole grid of grand prix cars ?

http://www.manoir-au...lcome/index.php

Video of the F1 grid

http://www.manoir-au...ap=formule1.php

#155 Beedeeai

Beedeeai

• 647 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 19:00

"But we'll be announcing a fan-powered debenture scheme in the next couple of weeks."

Thanks Frogeye. Gillett doesn't sound like he has a good grasp of business. What exactly is a 'fan-powered debenture scheme'?! I know what a debenture loan is (and as I mentioned in my previous post, getting a £100m debenture would be tough) and I also know what hospitality debentures are. Given that Gillett says that the debenture is 'fan-powered' it could suggest that it's the latter type whis is just ridiculous. In comparison, Allsport which gets the Paddock Club revenues from the majority of F1 races, apparently only makes around £70m!!!!

The general opinion about Donington seems to be that it won't be able to finance the work/complete it in time. Silverstone probably won't be able to go ahead with its work since it's not got a contract for the GP. Thus if Donington doesn't do the work, Bernie can ditch the British GP and blame Donington. In turn, Donington may try to blame Silverstone if Britain loses the race. Bernie can then get a bigger bucks paying race and stand less of a chance of being blamed than if it was just him and Silverstone negotiating. Sad. Very sad.

#156 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 19:01

That museum looks fantastic....might just to France for hols thiis year...... :cool:

#157 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 19:09

Originally posted by sterling49
That museum looks fantastic....might just go to France for hols this year...... :cool:

It is so big and so good one day is not enough to do it justice. It is in a rural location about 10 km south of Rennes and on the 2 occasions I have been we were the only people there. it was constructed and filled with exhibits by one man it really is extraordinary.

#158 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 19:12

The real irony is Richard, that I was in Rennes just 18months ago.....and did not know its existence :

Rennes has nice shops, senior management can do them justice whilst I wander with my Nikon :up:

#159 h4887

h4887

• 879 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 19:28

Highly recommended for Alpinistes!

Advertisement

#160 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 19:38

Originally posted by RTH

......... it was constructed and filled with exhibits by one man it really is extraordinary.

:eek: he has a few Francs then ! Just what do these folks do for a living :

I would particularly like to see the Renault Alpines, Dieppe's finest :up:

#161 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 19:39

Originally posted by Vitesse2
http://forums.autosp...threadid=102513

Don't worry, you can just vote and come straight back here without having to meet the great unwashed .... :lol:

Phew, just made it back w/o contact with the natives!

I voted "other" as in: Who cares? :yawn:

EDIT: this is not a note of disregard for you "Britishers", it would be just the same if the future of the Großer Preis was discussed! It's just that I can't be interested in the wheelings and dealings of the Big Entertainment Industry. If it was still a sport...

#162 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,193 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 19:59

The real irony is Richard, that I was in Rennes just 18months ago.....and did not know its existence :

Rennes has nice shops, senior management can do them justice whilst I wander with my Nikon :up:

My experience exactly, even down to the Nikons. I've been to the Schlumpf place in Mulhouse twice but didn't know about the museum in Rennes, definitely worth a detour next time we're passing that way. I told a motoring enthusiast friend about the Schlumpf collection. "Is it as good as Beaulieu?" he asked, at which point words failed me, just where do you begin? Amazingly, my far from car-mad Wife was equally fascinated. If I go again, I want to see the chuff-chuffs as well, two whole days should just about suffice.

PS Anyone else feel that we've sidetracked ourselves here, just ever so slightly?

#163 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,990 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 20:50

Originally posted by Tony Lethbridge

Absolutely right Ghinzani. The planning application is now in and hopefully the Exeter Falcons will be racing again in 2009. The delay was caused by Natural England fearing that the two acres of gorse we wanted to remove 'might' make a couple of Dartford Warblers homeless despite there still being another 240 acres that they could use. A kart track could be a possibility on the centre green as this has already been done at Coventry and Oxford although I think these are rental tracks rather than for racing. The long disbanded Exeter and District Kart Club actually had talks with the Racecourse owners regarding building a track there in the sixties but both this and a motor racing circuit, proposed a few years later, fell victim to the noise lobby.

My apologies to everyone for mispelling Donington in an earlier posting but I was rather upset at the time!!!

Tony we should probably carry this conversation on via PM, so I will drop you a line.

#164 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 20:55

Originally posted by kayemod

PS Anyone else feel that we've sidetracked ourselves here, just ever so slightly?

A tad, but does it matter? I reaped some benefit from the disclosures!

#165 brakedistance

brakedistance

• 146 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 20:56

Originally posted by kayemod

I agree! And just to pull it back on track a bit... I was at Silverstone yesterday and thought that the circuit facilities were fine. I'm sure it's not up to Bahrain or China in terms of it's facilities (especially toilets), the place seemed more than up to the job.

Does anybody think that Tilke has any understanding as to how much we all hate his circuits (Turkey apart)? If he ruins Donington I'll go nuts. Even Ayrton couldn't make up 5 places on a Tilkeodrome lap.

#166 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 21:17

I fear that Herr Tilke would weigh the opinions of a few hundred elderly (and not-so-elderly) Nostalgic codgers against the thousands and thousands who love F.1 exactly as it is at present, and would decide he is doing just fine.

Remember, if you are under 25, the names of Rouen, Reims, Pescara, and the earlier incarnations of the Nurburgring, Spa, Silverstone, etc etc etc, would mean nothing.

Sadly, I'm afraid we are all p*****g into the wind.

But remember, all those wonderful circuits are still alive for my slot car races (even Nurburgring if I can ever find anywhere big enough to build it.) (sorry for bringing in irrelevancies.)

#167 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,263 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 21:25

I never thought I'd quote Dylan Thomas in connection with the British GP!

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night. ....

#168 Rob Miller

Rob Miller

• 197 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 21:33

Between September 2005 and September 2007 Spa was brought up to standard with new pits, paddock and grandstands. I've been there and the place is fantastic. The character of the circuit has not been changed. Why could not the same happen at Donington?

#169 Bumblyari

Bumblyari

• 133 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 22:22

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Ahem! That's THE Open, bumb, not the british open.

You are right Barry of course - my apologies.

I think I may have also mis-spelled Dudlay.

#170 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 22:22

Have you seen Spa this year?

The Bus-Stop is completely gone.... (sighs of relief?)

Instead of turning left-right followed by short straight then right-left onto the start/finish straight, the track now turns VERY sharp right, a VERY brief straight bit, then VERY sharp left onto s/f. Is it better? Mmmmm.... :|

#171 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 497 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:48

Perhaps some one can tell me how one gets from Charles de Gaulle airport to Renne by TGV, and to what web site one goes to to buy tickets. We are visiting a cousin in September and they will pick us up at Renne. Nice to hear of a car museum close by to visit.

Sorry way off topic, but couldn't resist.

#172 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:05

These are the access details to this car museum in France built by Michel Hommel

Le Manoir de l'Automobile

It is in a village called Loheac which is 18 miles south of the city of Rennes

http://www.manoir-au...3e5b4884ddab74f

You could take the TGV from Paris to Rennes about 2 hrs

Aeroport de Nantes is the nearest airport 60 miles south of Loheac

Its all set in most attractive countryside has its own karting and rallycross circuits the buildings are mostly made of stone.

This is video of the outside buildings and setting

http://www.manoir-au...rap=accueil.php

There is also a huge display of model cars

Opening hours

http://www.manoir-au...anoir_tarif.php

and its only a fiver to go in.

I do have a load of photos of the inside & exhibits

#173 h4887

h4887

• 879 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:48

A representative of the local authority was interviewed on BBC 'Look East' last night and said 'this is definitely not a done deal'. I thought this expression implied less than total enthusiasm for the project...

#174 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:52

Have you seen Spa this year?

The Bus-Stop is completely gone.... (sighs of relief?)

Instead of turning left-right followed by short straight then right-left onto the start/finish straight, the track now turns VERY sharp right, a VERY brief straight bit, then VERY sharp left onto s/f. Is it better? Mmmmm.... :|

Damn I took a pee on the bus stop chicane one early foggy morning in 1981. And now its gone ):

#175 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:16

Originally posted by Buford

Damn I took a pee on the bus stop chicane one early foggy morning in 1981. And now its gone ):

It took some time to work but you finally got rid of it!

On the subject of Donington if it isn't a "done deal" and Bernie is saying "never again at Silverstone" (after 2009 that is) then surely it mean no British GP in 2010?

I still think that the whole mess is a Bernie Eccleston Production aimed at getting control of the British GP and access to Silverstone at a very much reduced rate.

I know one thing if I was negotiating a business deal I would want Bernie on my side of the table!

:wave:

#176 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 842 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:47

After watching some IndyCar races at Road America and Watkins Glen, I would say the hell with BE and F1 if to host an F1 race means to emasculate Donington as they did with Silverstone and, imo, with Spa, Monza, etc.. I think some of the tracks from the old F1 days, like Zandvoort, are pretty able to host great races and if this means to send F1 to Mongoland, let it be. And please, rename modern Nurburgring some something like Tilkedrome, and Hockenheim to Berniedrome. These tracks does not deserve those names.

#177 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 497 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 15:37

Thanks Richard for the information about the Le Manoire museum. That is now in my holiday file. I did another search last night and found the RailEurope website and was able to book our TGV tickets to Rennes, and my cousin can pick us up at the station. Our holiday is coming together nicely.

#178 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 16:00

Sure you will enjoy it Robin, bring back some photos.
Just contact them first by e-mail to confirm they are open on your dates. They are closed one week day per week lundi ( which one is that ? ) They also close for lunch. Make sure you have it all lined up first to avoid disappointment.

Oh and put a 2 euro piece in that massive mechanical orchestra it is just amazing !

#179 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 16:27

Originally posted by RTH
They are closed one week day per week lundi ( which one is that ? ) They also close for lunch. Make sure you have it all lined up first to avoid disappointment.

Monday... :blush:

Advertisement

#180 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,188 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 17:49

Monday... :blush:

They are open 7 days a week in July and August. 10.00am to 7.00pm

http://www.manoir-au...anoir_tarif.php

#181 h4887

h4887

• 879 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 19:33

They were closed on a Tuesday when I called in on the way back from Le Mans but were easily persuaded to open up when faced with the massed ranks of the Ginetta Owners' Club... :cool:

#182 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 19:27

So maybe some of our worst fears are unfounded.

Today the planned extension is announced. A half mile loop running straight on from before Goddards, infield, turning a long left then back onto the start/finish straight. Allegedly, NO OTHER CHANGES and also no need to move fencing back as run-offs are adequate. The only difference being that some of the gravel will become asphalt.

Too good to be true? We shall see.

This, of course, does nothing to address access to and from or anything else.

I still can't see it happening.

#183 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,263 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 19:51

Allegedly, NO OTHER CHANGES

As I understand it, Starkey's Straight is also to be realigned to eliminate the Esses: to do this, they will have to demolish the Exhibition Centre ....

http://forums.autosp...783#post3209783

#184 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:32

As I understand it, Starkey's Straight is also to be realigned to eliminate the Esses: to do this, they will have to demolish the Exhibition Centre ....

http://forums.autosp...783#post3209783

Looking at map in 'Motorsport News' looks like this will be the locaion of main grandstand?

#185 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:50

Looking at Donington on Google Earth, just to get an idea of space, etc, I was slightly shocked (can you be slightly shocked?) to see that the Spitfire/Hurricane (delete where inappropriate) at the bottom of the Craner Curves has lost its left wing.

Was it shot off by a passing Focke, perchance?

#186 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:12

Loved this one:

Posted Image

#187 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,278 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:56

Is that the "road to nowhere" or "ever decreasing circles" - either way a pithy comment on the current state things.

Mind you, if the spiral descended into a hollow and a tunnel and the road reappeared beneath the bridge or at Goddards... that might be fun. Sorry, we're getting sensible now.

Barry,
I think the fighter had the wing removed to make the various Caterham race series feel at home!

#188 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:40

Was it shot off by a passing Focke, perchance? [/B]

Those Fockes were flying Messerschmitts
:lol:

#189 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 21:04

If the pits and start / finish straight are going to be on the Starkeys straight, where will the paddock be situated ? From what I remember it's quite a steep drop from Starkeys straight down to the Schwantz curves and surely this would preclude the paddock being behind the pits ? :confused:

#190 mfd

mfd

• 2,885 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 21:40

Originally posted by lil'chris
If the pits and start / finish straight are going to be on the Starkeys straight:confused:

and the pit lane entrance after McLeans...but before the rise to Coppice.
Btw. the Spitfire isn't there anymore, perhaps BCE has it at Biggin :

#191 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 14:43

Looking at Donington on Google Earth, just to get an idea of space, etc, I was slightly shocked (can you be slightly shocked?) to see that the Spitfire/Hurricane (delete where inappropriate) at the bottom of the Craner Curves has lost its left wing.

Was it shot off by a passing Focke, perchance?

I understand that they dismantle parts of the Spitfire from time to time to do restoration work on it.

#192 FrankB

FrankB

• 2,602 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:16

Originally posted by Paul Taylor

I understand that they dismantle parts of the Spitfire from time to time to do restoration work on it.

Originally posted by mfd

Btw. the Spitfire isn't there anymore,

Isn't it (wasn't it) only a fibreglass replica, so hardly in need of 'restoration'?

#193 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:55

Donington has just had planning permission granted for the £100M alterations to the circuit to enable them to host the 2010 British GP.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/72677

However Simon Gillett says they still do not yet have the finance in place. But that he hopes to secure it from a corporate debencher scheme .

Can this be achieved, and can all the massive redevelopment be fully completed , clean , tidy and all ready to go inside 18 months? To a time and standard acceptable to BCE ? For the event to go ahead ?

#194 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:04

According to Joe Saward's site - usually the most accurate - Donington has funding support from Revelan Estates.
http://www.grandprix...ns/ns21083.html

#195 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 15:24

In today's Telegraph
http://www.telegraph...plans-weak.html
Roger Lund

#196 Rockford

Rockford

• 421 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 15:47

A depressing read

#197 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 16:51

Quoting from the Daily Telegraph article:

"Tilke GMBH is a company that has worked on the majority of outstanding motorsport circuits worldwide and understands the requirements and compromises that have to be made to deliver a fully functional, workable, deliverable and yet still very striking Grand Prix circuit."

Oh crap! To me that spells disaster! :(

#198 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,193 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 16:54

Originally posted by Rockford
A depressing read

There's a terrible inevitability about all this, isn't there?

#199 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 17:33

I'd prefer Laguna Seca (Corkscrew would be even better than Craner), but it would have to be at an unfeasibly early hour to catch prime-time European TV...

Nah, they could run it at night.

Frank

Advertisement

#200 Macca

Macca

• 3,336 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 17:44

For a Government quango of architects to criticise the plan is hardly a disaster..........lots of waffle there about 'vision' and 'statement'.............

Anything they suggest would be likely to have have a timetable on a par with Wembley or the Dome.......very late, very over-budget, and no GP.......

Paul M