Jump to content


Photo

Donington Park


  • Please log in to reply
1567 replies to this topic

#201 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 22 January 2009 - 18:05

Originally posted by Macca

....very late, very over-budget, and no GP.......

Paul M


Sadly, I'd say that in Donington's case, all of that is only too probable.

Advertisement

#202 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,515 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 22 January 2009 - 18:29

Originally posted by Macca
For a Government quango of architects to criticise the plan is hardly a disaster..........lots of waffle there about 'vision' and 'statement'.............

Paul M

You missed my current bugbear buzzword - "overarching". WTF is that supposed to mean? Building a bloody bridge over it?? :mad:

Originally posted by Rockford
A depressing read

Any sentence containing the word "Tilke" usually is :rolleyes:

#203 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 22 January 2009 - 18:58

At the end of the day the only thing that the F1 oligarchs are interested in is lots of close up shots of Branded cars for TV & their sponsors, Tilcke tracks are not not designed for the paying spectator, the sooner everyone excepts that F1 is no longer a sport,(and boycotts going or watching it on TV, the sooner changes for the better might be made!!) : :(

#204 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Member

  • 11,844 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 22 January 2009 - 20:31

Originally posted by picblanc
At the end of the day the only thing that the F1 oligarchs are interested in is lots of close up shots of Branded cars for TV & their sponsors, Tilcke tracks are not not designed for the paying spectator, the sooner everyone excepts that F1 is no longer a sport,(and boycotts going or watching it on TV, the sooner changes for the better might be made!!) : :(


I remember Bernie saying back in the '90s that he would prefer the racing without spectators as they would get a better view sat at home watching the television.

If the trend continues there will be no spectators and no one watching the TV! :

#205 Rockford

Rockford
  • Member

  • 421 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 12 February 2009 - 17:56

Donington's Dunlop Bridge dismantled...

http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/73250

Gillett: it's current location is wrong, it is not wide enough, and then there are the commercial reasons


:mad:

#206 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall
  • Member

  • 1,249 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 12 February 2009 - 18:05

Forget tradition and history then!!

#207 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson
  • Member

  • 2,535 posts
  • Joined: July 03

Posted 12 February 2009 - 18:16

That's a relatively new bridge, well seems fairly new to me...1977 seems like yesterday. As long as they don't do anything with Starkey's.

#208 elansprint72

elansprint72
  • Member

  • 3,388 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:58

Might be an idea if they re-erected it at Oulton Park. ;)

I'm looking forward to the Lotus day at Donington (April 18/19) so that I can see just what a mess they have created at the circuit. Seems incredible that planning consent has been given for such an upheaval considering what a struggle Tom Wheatcroft had getting anything done; of course he had pissed off the retired Colonels and other Lodge members for quite a few years. :rotfl:

Here's to Tom!

#209 Giraffe

Giraffe
  • Member

  • 7,017 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:28

When the Donington Collection first opened in the early 1970's, I was there and then subsequently when I was at Uni in Nottingham, I would go along to the circuit from the very first days that Tom started work on re-developing it, often standing near him watching proceedings. Subsequently, I marshalled during the first season on the return of racing there in 1977.
Donington is not my spiritual home, that being Oulton Park, (or when it was open as a circuit, Aintree), but it is my adopted home, so as to speak. So why is it then that something in my waters tells me that Donington have been sold a pup here? I simply cannot imagine a contemporary Grand Prix taking place there when you look at all of the awesome circuits that have sprung up around the world in recent years in order to facilitate Mr E's F1 Circus.
I detect the distinct aroma of politics here, and together with the global economic downturn, it will either be used as a scapegoat for relieving the UK of a Grand Prix if necessary without Silverstone having had to invest in the the required upgrade, or at worst will buy Silverstone time to see if it is worth investing in the circuit to enable it to host a Grand Prix in future years.
Whilst I feel in my bones that a reason will emerge in time for why the event cannot go ahead, logistically I cannot imagine how it possibly could. Where is everyone going to park? On the hard shoulders of the M1 & M42? I've heard it mooted that East Midlands Airport would be closed for the duration to allow parking, but I cannot see the CAA ever agreeing to that.
The circuit owners are obliged to go with the flow as all the signs are there that the event is coming to them, but I'll eat my hat if a Grand Prix ever takes place at Donington again; ( but I shall be there with my favourite flavour of hat if it does!).

#210 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks
  • Member

  • 2,118 posts
  • Joined: January 02

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:22

The recent comments from the new regime about making the GP 'car-unfriendly' for paying spectators and forcing everyone to come by train and bus seem to indicate the lessons of the Millemium Dome have not been learned...oh dear...

#211 Barry Boor

Barry Boor
  • Member

  • 10,895 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:45

I'd like to say something positive about the Donington situation.

I'd LIKE to......... :(

#212 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Member

  • 11,844 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:50

Earlier this week there was a press conference at Donington which included a virtual lap of the extended circuit. Initial feedback from the journos present is positive.

So maybe Bernie wasn't kidding after all!

:eek:

#213 RTH

RTH
  • Member

  • 5,742 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:01

The '93 Grand Prix at Donington was certainly memorable in spite of , or perhaps because of the weather.

Was anyone reading actually there ? What was the whole experience like? Certainly it was OK on TV apart from the pitstops and lap confusion caused by the rain bursts .Better of course because it was in the days of the BBC and Murray at the height of his powers with the much missed James Hunt on the microphone with him, and superb TV production !

Here are 9 mins of highlights from the 1993 European Grand Prix at Donington Park with Murray and some pre-war archive as well. Senna at his brilliant best in a car at the time that was not the equal of the Williams'




Do they really need to spend £100M on a drastically altered circuit , really NEED to ?

#214 mgtd

mgtd
  • Member

  • 135 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:20

Yes Richard I was there.I remember my pal's brother had a fairly basic caravan which we lugged up the M1 to get the full atmosphere of the weekend.It rained.Then it rained a bit more.It rained all weekend as I recall.And it was b.cold!.....but,watching Sunday morning warmup in the vicinity of the Cramer Curves was really something,yes they had traction control but Senna was in a class of his own all weekend;you could hear the horrible,staccato sound of T.C.cutting in and out,except Senna seemed to eclipse that,he just had amazing throttle control in his right foot!Other memories- Rubens was amazing,can't remember,was he in the Jordan at the time? and Michael Andretti.....useless! We did have Grandstand Tickets (fat lot of good in keeping the rain off) but we all watched the first few laps outside,in the pouring rain,just to see Senna at his very best. Unforgetable!!
I will join anyone else in eating one of my many and varied hats if the 2010 race happens.No chance in my opinion...be a shame though,because my Mother-in law lives in Derby,so for once I could stay near a race,for NOTHING! -not since the late-lamented days of G.P's at Brands,even to the point of Saturday races...camping and getting slightly you-know-what for three days,then all day Sunday to recover at the campsite,before crawling home and into work on Monday! Happy Days.

mgtd

#215 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Member

  • 11,844 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:39

Originally posted by mgtd
I will join anyone else in eating one of my many and varied hats if the 2010 race happens. No chance in my opinion...

mgtd


It looks like hat may be on the menu!

Earlier this week there was a Press Conference at Donington which included a virtual on-board lap of the extended circuit. First feedback from some of the journos present is positive and up-beat. So maybe Bernie wasn't pulling a fast one!

:

#216 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson
  • Member

  • 2,535 posts
  • Joined: July 03

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:49

Originally posted by Barry Boor
I'd like to say something positive about the Donington situation.

I'd LIKE to......... :(


I too cannot see it happening. Without a decent dual carriageway road linking the circuit to the M1, as Silverstone has done, it will be chaos. Forget too the fanciful 'bus-everybody-in' scheme. Raising the money has to be the biggest hurdle when the banks have effectively shut up shop.

However..they seem to have the planning permission without too many hic-cups and they have started the rebuilding work. I too would be more than delighted in being proved wrong.

Could this though all be political as mentioned earlier? Maybe Bernie will get his hands on Silverstone once and for all, something he's always wanted?

#217 Ivan Astikoff

Ivan Astikoff
  • Member

  • 40 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 13 February 2009 - 13:58

Originally posted by Stephen W


It looks like hat may be on the menu!

Earlier this week there was a Press Conference at Donington which included a virtual on-board lap of the extended circuit. First feedback from some of the journos present is positive and up-beat. So maybe Bernie wasn't pulling a fast one!

:


See the sim here: http://news.bbc.co.u...and/7886964.stm

#218 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 13 February 2009 - 14:01

"Sim" is short for simulation, right? Then why are those cars overtaking each other?

#219 lustigson

lustigson
  • Member

  • 4,789 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 13 February 2009 - 14:08

Originally posted by fines
"Sim" is short for simulation, right? Then why are those cars overtaking each other?

That's due to the 2010 cost cuts. :rolleyes:

And I see we're back to grooved tyres, too.

Advertisement

#220 lil'chris

lil'chris
  • Member

  • 512 posts
  • Joined: January 07

Posted 14 February 2009 - 22:23

Originally posted by Ivan Astikoff


See the sim here: http://news.bbc.co.u...and/7886964.stm


If that is what it ends up like, it doesn't exactly keep the existing environmental ambiance of Donington does it :down: Starkeys Straight could easily end up like the main straight at Shanghai, Barcelona or Sepang.

#221 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob
  • Member

  • 1,496 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 18 February 2009 - 20:07

Originally posted by RTH


Was anyone reading actually there ? What was the whole experience like?


Do they really need to spend £100M on a drastically altered circuit , really NEED to ?

Yes Richard, I was there! There must have been something about me, Ayrton Senna and rain as I saw him at Monaco '84 too...

What was the experience like? Well, your YouTube link took me back! I was spectating on the straight approaching the Melbourne hairpin, so had a view of the field approaching me from the Essses, heading away towards the corner, then back along the straight to Goddards. Just in the public area, not in a stand.

I recall there being a Diamond Vision screen opposite so was able to keep up with positions and tyre changes through my binoculars. Good job too!

I was cheering Damon on but couldn't help but admire Senna's achievement, although he dismissed it as "Easy" having just done a bit of researching reminding myself of the experience. The research also revealed his fatest lap being one where he went in for a tyre change and aborted it, thereby taking a short cut through the pit lane!

I recall the organisation being fine, and the grass being muddy, and the pleasant sensation of taking practically all my clothes off when I got back to the car and drying off courtesy of the heater. :eek:

There was a bit of a Dunkirk spirit around, people still smiling amongst the very miserable conditions. As far as getting away from the place I can't recall any difficulty, but I might just have been feeling euphoric with my drying out sensation. It was a pleasant change heading back to Cheshire from there instead of from Silverstone - quicker too.

As for the circuit I like it as it is - better than many (especially compared with some of the current crop), though times have changed with the Bernicious, sorry, pernicious requirements these days...

As for Silverstone - I can't really feel the soul there these days. The last time I was there at Friday practice 2007 I found more fascination trying to find the outline of the original Becketts than with the rest of the place. I did enjoy my numerous visits there to the GPs through the 80s to the early 90s though, and in 1969 too as a nipper.

I found this link to the proposed new layout... http://www.f1fanatic...track-revealed/

As for the eating of headgear if it actually comes off, make mine a pork pie hat with a spot of Colman's.

Rob :wave:

#222 Giraffe

Giraffe
  • Member

  • 7,017 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 26 April 2009 - 15:11

Originally posted by Giraffe
but I'll eat my hat if a Grand Prix ever takes place at Donington again; ( but I shall be there with my favourite flavour of hat if it does!).


Hat now surplus to requirements. Amen. :

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/74717



Infact..the problems are far more than Tom's writ, according to the Derbyshire press! June 8th, D-day?
(See next post for link).

#223 Giraffe

Giraffe
  • Member

  • 7,017 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:37

http://forums.autosp...357#post3612357

See post 181 by Andrew Kitson.



So it would appear with the financial issues with the circuit owners, and now the likely knock-on effect of
planning permission being revoked for Donington, this year's British GP is likely to be the last Grand Prix on these shores during the Ecclestone era, in my lifetime, and quite possibly forever.
On that basis, I now fully intend going to Silverstone for what will be an historic and emotional event. I hope Jenson wins there. :up:

#224 NanningF1fan

NanningF1fan
  • Member

  • 61 posts
  • Joined: April 09

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:36

Yes I was at the Donington European GP in 1993. I was flag marshalling on the exit of the Melbourne Hairpin and had one of the most memorable weekends of my marshalling career (1982-2003).

Someone mentioned the Dunkirk spirit. I am too young to remember Dunkirk but I can relate to the idea. the marshals campsite turned into a quagmire early on and stayed that way throughout the weekend. The usual BBQs and outdoor booze ups were impossible. But my newly acquired caravan stood up to the weather and I stayed warm and dry. In fact I couldn't leave on the Sunday night as planned because my caravan was bogged down in the mud. I had to get it towed out by a tractor on the Monday morning. I got docked a day's pay at work but I didn't really care.

There was a terrific camaraderie both in the campsite and on post. My observer was Evan Griffiths Hughes who was both a gentleman and an outstanding team leader. He kept everybody's morale up all weekend with an endless supply of fascinating racing stories. The action helped of course. Almost every F1 car spun at least once at the Melbourne Hairpin over the weekend and I had close up views of most of the stars of the day including Senna who spun and stalled on the exit during practice. His gestures to the incident crew to restart him somehow made him human and I got really emotionally involved in his win the next day.

My arms were aching by Sunday night from holding and waving the flags which became waterlogged and heavy. But it was worth it to see a master class in wet weather driving from Senna and some great support races as well.

My only regret leaving the circuit was that I had a feeling it would never happen again. It was obvious all weekend that the stands were half empty and I knew Tom Wheatcroft had to have lost a packet on the weekend. Sadly that proved to be correct and probably prevented the circuit from keeping up with the times for the rest of the 90s.

#225 Giraffe

Giraffe
  • Member

  • 7,017 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 27 April 2009 - 13:14

It must be nigh on impossible to make almost any race meeting pay at the gate, let alone a GP, now or at any time. Maybe a sellout British or Monaco, but not many more.
That's why TV and advertising, commercial rights, sponsorship etc are really the only issues commercially and legacy & historic location are irrelevant. Probably if Bernie had not come along, F1 wouldn't exist as it is today, or in any shape or form. :

#226 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 27 April 2009 - 13:23

Originally posted by Giraffe
It must be nigh on impossible to make almost any race meeting pay at the gate, let alone a GP, now or at any time. Maybe a sellout British or Monaco, but not many more.
That's why TV and advertising, commercial rights, sponsorship etc are really the only issues commercially and legacy & historic location are irrelevant. Probably if Bernie had not come along, F1 wouldn't exist as it is today, or in any shape or form. :


All true of course, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that Monaco doesn't pay the usual fee to Bernie & Co, which probably means that their race will be the only one left on the F1 calendar in a couple of years or so.

#227 Giraffe

Giraffe
  • Member

  • 7,017 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 27 April 2009 - 14:16

Originally posted by kayemod


All true of course, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that Monaco doesn't pay the usual fee to Bernie & Co, which probably means that their race will be the only one left on the F1 calendar in a couple of years or so.


Whilst we are all enduring the current global financial meltdown, may I suggest then that a financially prudent and somewhat appealing notion would be to run the entire FI calendar at Monaco for the duration of the crisis? To further enhance the saving and limit the costs involved, can I propose that it is run fortnightly throughout the season to pre-1970 F3 (screamer) regulations? That would be fun! :wave:

#228 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob
  • Member

  • 1,496 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 27 April 2009 - 14:30

Slightly o/t I know, but just checked prices for this year's GP.

Friday ticket, £49. :eek: :eek:

No doubt plus booking fee for TicketRipOff or whoever, plus p&p maybe, perhaps plus parking.

You gotta be joking.

Is it me or am I completely out of touch?? Sunday tickets appear to be sold out, so it must be me, becoming a tight fisted old sod in my older years. Or just perfecting the graduation from tight fisted young sod.

Rob :wave:

#229 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 27 April 2009 - 14:37

Assuming that I'm right about Monaco getting a freebie from Bernie, isn't is rather ironic that the venue best able to afford his ridiculous fees is the one that doesn't pay them. Still, when was anything about present day 'Effwun' either sensible or logical?

#230 alansart

alansart
  • Member

  • 4,053 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 27 April 2009 - 14:49

Originally posted by Kingsleyrob
Slightly o/t I know, but just checked prices for this year's GP.

Friday ticket, £49. :eek: :eek:

No doubt plus booking fee for TicketRipOff or whoever, plus p&p maybe, perhaps plus parking.

You gotta be joking.

Is it me or am I completely out of touch?? Sunday tickets appear to be sold out, so it must be me, becoming a tight fisted old sod in my older years. Or just perfecting the graduation from tight fisted young sod.

Rob :wave:


I'm getting nagged by my daughters to go. £69 each for Saturday and only option for Sunday is a 3 day effort. No chance :)

I went to my first GP on the proceeds of my paper round. Haven't times changed :eek:

#231 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,877 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 27 April 2009 - 14:49

Ive never seen Monaco listed as free. The reports I saw had Monza on about 4mil and Monaco on 15 or so (which is still pretty low). Monaco, I think, keeps its trackside advertising so it's a profit for them.

#232 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 27 April 2009 - 15:34

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Ive never seen Monaco listed as free. The reports I saw had Monza on about 4mil and Monaco on 15 or so (which is still pretty low). Monaco, I think, keeps its trackside advertising so it's a profit for them.


Doesn't mean it's correct of course, but I've seen the Monaco freebie thing in print more than once, I'm pretty certain on TNF at some time.

http://www.theage.co...xq.html?page=-1

This is an example, which as far as I can see hasn't been contradicted by BCE or anyone else. Apparently this ridiculous round the houses museum piece is regarded as more 'Jewel in the Crown' than events like the British GP, which most would agree is just as important from a historical point of view.

#233 Nordic

Nordic
  • Member

  • 278 posts
  • Joined: September 02

Posted 27 April 2009 - 15:40

Originally posted by alansart


I'm getting nagged by my daughters to go. £69 each for Saturday and only option for Sunday is a 3 day effort. No chance :)

I went to my first GP on the proceeds of my paper round. Haven't times changed :eek:


http://www.1st4footb...s...bNjLZhEuw==

While I agree the prices are high, if you want to see a Champions league Semi at stamford bridge you will need around £600!!

#234 alansart

alansart
  • Member

  • 4,053 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 27 April 2009 - 15:55

Originally posted by Nordic


http://www.1st4footb...s...bNjLZhEuw==

While I agree the prices are high, if you want to see a Champions league Semi at stamford bridge you will need around £600!!


Football's much the same - I used to go to Upton Park on the paper round money as well. Mind you Harry Rednapp was still young then!

#235 Barry Boor

Barry Boor
  • Member

  • 10,895 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 27 April 2009 - 16:14

...and had recently borrowed my boots for a district team training session!

#236 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob
  • Member

  • 1,496 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 27 April 2009 - 16:16

I cajoled my Mum and Dad to take me to Silverstone for the '69 GP, practice day too, so ticket prices must have been reasonably affordable then. I think we combined it with a bit of a b&b touring holiday. We weren't well off at all - my Dad drove a second hand A40 Farina (same as I do now actually, but only in spring and summer) :cool:.

On another occasion, the Martini International (maybe '69 again - the F3L was there) we camped in a nearby field. No facilities, in fact I think we were the only ones there. Had to go to Buckingham to go to the loo.

On one of those occasions I recall we got home to find that man had just landed on the moon. Or is my memory playing tricks again?

BUT - the ticket prices were affordable, not astronomical.

Yes, footie the same - I'd pay my shilling to go in the boys pen at Anfield, or four bob when I was a bit older to stand on the Kop.

Tell that to the kids of today....

Rob :wave:

#237 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Member

  • 11,844 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 27 April 2009 - 16:17

Originally posted by Kingsleyrob
I cajoled my Mum and Dad to take me to Silverstone for the '69 GP, practice day too, so ticket prices must have been reasonably affordable then. I think we combined it with a bit of a b&b touring holiday. We weren't well off at all - my Dad drove a second hand A40 Farina (same as I do now actually, but only in spring and summer :cool: ).

On another occasion, the Martini International (maybe '69 again - the F3L was there) we camped in a nearby field. No facilities, in fact I think we were the only ones there. Had to go to Buckingham to go to the loo.

On one of those occasions I recall we got home to find that man had just landed on the moon. Or is my memory playing tricks again?

BUT - the ticket prices were affordable, not astronomical.

Yes, footie the same - I'd pay my shilling to go in the boys pen at Anfield, or four bob when I was a bit older to stand on the Kop.

Tell that to the kids of today....

Rob :wave:


You're a lot older than you look Rob! :confused:

#238 Giraffe

Giraffe
  • Member

  • 7,017 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 27 April 2009 - 16:46

Originally posted by Kingsleyrob


Yes, footie the same - I'd pay my shilling to go in the boys pen at Anfield, or four bob when I was a bit older to stand on the Kop.

Tell that to the kids of today....

Rob :wave:


Jeez Rob; you were brave! I never went in the boy's pen, but from the Kop it resembled the monkey house at the zoo!!! In the mid-70's, I used to take my kid brother into the paddock, and go early so that we could place the orange box he stood on against the back wall below the Director's box. On more than one occasion, he was lifted up into the Director's box,and on one occasion wound up sitting next to then Norwich manager, John Bond! (Motor racing connection; Sid Reakes who sandraced and sprinted a Porsche 911 with Liverpool Motor Club was the son of a director of LFC at the time).

#239 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 27 April 2009 - 16:53

I went to Silverstone for testing a week or so before the GP in 1994/5? the year the German crashed in the GP at Stowe & broke his leg & it was free!! is that not the case now? It was a great day even though spectating was restricted to the Woodcote area, it was the first time I had seen F1 cars since 1975 Race of Champs at Brands. (Tom Pryce winning year?)
Enjoyed it. :up:

Advertisement

#240 sterling49

sterling49
  • Member

  • 10,840 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 27 April 2009 - 16:59

Originally posted by picblanc
I went to Silverstone for testing a week or so before the GP in 1994/5? the year the German crashed in the GP at Stowe & broke his leg & it was free!! is that not the case now? It was a great day even though spectating was restricted to the Woodcote area, it was the first time I had seen F1 cars since 1975 Race of Champs at Brands. (Tom Pryce winning year?)
Enjoyed it. :up:


The last Silverstone GP I went to was the year of Baby Bear and WW3, that was such a longtime ago!!!

Thinks, I wonder how much the entry fee would have been then?

Graham, what no photos from the ROC? :confused:

#241 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:01

Originally posted by Kingsleyrob


Tell that to the kids of today....


Aye, well we 'ad it tough!

I went with three friends in a brand new Mini belonging to the mum of one of them, to the International Trophy at Silverstone, probably 67 0r 68. Said Mum didn't find out until much later that she'd 'lent' us the car, and friend is now one of the Law Lords, so that tells you something about his upbringing and the company I kept in those days. For some reason I can't remember, we left Manchester after midnight, reaching Silverstone at three or four in the morning. The gates were unmanned of course, no security, and we managed to drive into a trackside car park by a circuitous route, slightly surprised to find that several others had beaten us to it. I think that some attempt to extract admission fees from the early arrivals was made a few hours later, but we all managed to avoid officialdom, so we got in FREE !!!

But you tell that to Mr Ecclestone, and of course the kids of today...

#242 sterling49

sterling49
  • Member

  • 10,840 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:06

Originally posted by kayemod


I think that some attempt to extract admission fees from the early arrivals was made a few hours later, but we all managed to avoid officialdom, so we got in FREE !!!

But you tell that to Mr Ecclestone, and of course the kids of today...


....and I, knew everyway there was to get into Brands :up: but had to pay at Silverstone, like all the other punters except you kayemod :up:

#243 alansart

alansart
  • Member

  • 4,053 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:07

Originally posted by picblanc
I went to Silverstone for testing a week or so before the GP in 1994/5? the year the German crashed in the GP at Stowe & broke his leg & it was free!! is that not the case now?


It was £12 (+ free parking) last year for 600+ laps of F1 cars. That was good value :)

Unfortunately it's been dropped by F1 to cut costs.

#244 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson
  • Member

  • 2,535 posts
  • Joined: July 03

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:09

Originally posted by picblanc
I went to Silverstone for testing a week or so before the GP in 1994/5? the year the German crashed in the GP at Stowe & broke his leg & it was free!! is that not the case now?


That was 1999 when Schumi broke his leg. Not the case now for free entry because there is very limited testing. F1 teams are no longer allowed to test during the season, except some straight line airfield testing I believe. If the car is a dog straight out of the box now, it is a real problem. Only wind tunnel modelling, simulations and trying bits on the Friday at race weekends are the only chances to fix it. In future teams will have to get their new cars out there ASAP at the pre-season tests.

#245 alansart

alansart
  • Member

  • 4,053 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:13

Originally posted by sterling49


....and I, knew everyway there was to get into Brands :up: but had to pay at Silverstone, like all the other punters except you kayemod :up:


I got into Silverstone on the friday night of the 83 in the boot of a Ford Escort that was being towed. The tow car had a centre pass and the official got quite a shock when he realised the following car was attached by a short rope and wasn't going to stop :)

#246 sterling49

sterling49
  • Member

  • 10,840 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:16

Originally posted by alansart


I got into Silverstone on the friday night of the 83 in the boot of a Ford Escort that was being towed. The tow car had a centre pass and the official got quite a shock when he realised the following car was attached by a short rope and wasn't going to stop :)


hmmmmn, Mk 1 Cortinas were pretty useful too :lol: we left a couple of mates in there until they promised to pay for the beers ;)

Forget "The Great Escape", shades of "The Great Entrance" :lol:

#247 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:22

Originally posted by sterling49


....and I, knew everyway there was to get into Brands :up: but had to pay at Silverstone, like all the other punters except you kayemod :up:


That trick never worked again, I suspect that someone forgot to secure a gate that year, but I doubt if admission charges were all that high in those days, so we probably didn't save all that much. Like alansart, I was a regular visitor at Aintree and Oulton Park for the British GP, Aintree 200, the Gold Cup and many other events, and I must have financed all that from my paper round as well.

Of course, home back then was 'ole in t'ground.

#248 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:31

Originally posted by sterling49


The last Silverstone GP I went to was the year of Baby Bear and WW3, that was such a longtime ago!!!

Thinks, I wonder how much the entry fee would have been then?

Graham, what no photos from the ROC? :confused:


Well Sterling, got a few paddock pics, which have been seen on other threads a couple of years a go, the practice action stuff I have not scanned yet as it was piddling down and they are "rubbish" I think, though there might be one or two reasonable (as in you could say what cars they are!!) ones of a Token & one a BRM, I will try to find them, but as this is a Donington thread not sure if to post here? : :wave:

#249 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,531 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:33

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson


That was 1999 when Schumi broke his leg. Not the case now for free entry because there is very limited testing. F1 teams are no longer allowed to test during the season, except some straight line airfield testing I believe. If the car is a dog straight out of the box now, it is a real problem. Only wind tunnel modelling, simulations and trying bits on the Friday at race weekends are the only chances to fix it. In future teams will have to get their new cars out there ASAP at the pre-season tests.


Thank you Andrew, yes your right as I took my Grandson along he was about two then.

#250 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 27 April 2009 - 17:36

Originally posted by alansart


I got into Silverstone on the friday night of the 83 in the boot of a Ford Escort that was being towed. The tow car had a centre pass and the official got quite a shock when he realised the following car was attached by a short rope and wasn't going to stop :)

:eek: :lol: :up: