Photo

Silverstone or Donington

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Silverstone or Donington (193 member(s) have cast votes)

1. [COLOR=red][SIZE=3]Donington Park[/SIZE][/COLOR] (53 votes [27.46%])

Percentage of vote: 27.46%

2. [COLOR=blue][SIZE=3]Silverstone[/SIZE][/COLOR] (96 votes [49.74%])

Percentage of vote: 49.74%

3. [COLOR=green][SIZE=3]Don't care[/SIZE][/COLOR] (44 votes [22.80%])

Percentage of vote: 22.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:42

After reading the thread on the news that Donington has won the contract, I thought it would be interesting to have a poll. For me its crazy to move to Donington. Its not just the track infrastructure, can you imagine 100,000 people trying to get there? :eek:
There has been a small fortune spent on the roads around Silverstone already. I cant help feeling this is just a political move and the deal will be reversed back to Silverstone. :up:

Advertisement

#2 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:51

Silverstone - if 100M is spent on it.
Donington if it isn't.

#3 peroa

peroa

• 10,781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:58

Silverstone!

Do we really need another Hungaroring? :rolleyes:

#4 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:01

Originally posted by peroa
Silverstone!

Good point. Donington is a bit small. :drunk:

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:02

Silverstone!

You have seen Donington, haven't you? Unless you mean a questionable venue maintained for political reasons, in which case you're probably dead on. :)

#6 color

color

• 178 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:06

who cares?
bring on more tracks like monaco, valencia or singapore... others are just boring.

#7 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:15

Why not alternate between the two venues?

#8 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:16

Originally posted by Fatgadget

That would be good :)

#9 peroa

peroa

• 10,781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:36

Originally posted by Risil

You have seen Donington, haven't you? Unless you mean a questionable venue maintained for political reasons, in which case you're probably dead on. :)

What is the big difference?

Slow-ish corners, short straights, 2 hairpins, 1 chicane.

Don`t get me wrong, I really like the track, have driven zillions of laps in rfactor and GTR but in F1 terms it`s a MickyMouse circuit and we all know what that means - boooring.

Except if:

- it rains
- next years cars are substantially better regarding overtaking.

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:40

What is the big difference?

Slow-ish corners, short straights, 2 hairpins, 1 chicane.

Don`t get me wrong, I really like the track, have driven zillions of laps in rfactor and GTR but in F1 terms it`s a MickyMouse circuit and we all know what that means - boooring.

Except if:

- it rains
- next years cars are substantially better regarding overtaking.

Discounting the Melbourne loop, which is bizarre and ridiculous, you're left with a number of undulating sweepers and medium-speed corners. Certainly more interesting than the Hungaroring, which appears to consist entirely of 2nd and 3rd gear turns. IMO neither is anywhere near as bad as the stunningly unimaginative and uninspiring Motegi circuit they run GP motorcycles on, though.

And if F1 cars aren't substantially better at overtaking next year, they might as well pack up and go home. Bernie's monopoly on top-level motorsports won't last forever, and as soon as a credible alternative can attract a couple of big names, F1, staying as it is now, will die.

#11 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:52

I voted for Donington because of its better geographical position, I think it really should have moved to Donnington twenty years ago but I think the BRDC & Silverstone were stiched up from the beginning ---.
Having said all that the real spiritual home of the British Grand Prix is Brands.

#12 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:53

The thought of F1 cars negotiating the Craner Curves gives me a bigger buzz than anything about Silverstone does.

#13 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:57

Originally posted by Fatgadget

Because a promoter can't make enough money to pay for the infrastructure having the race every year much less on half that.

#14 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 18:41

Donington is dull as dishwater with Moto GP bikes (unless it rains), so I can only imagine the snorefest it will produce with F1 cars. :

#15 reason42

reason42

• 295 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 18:44

Could the European GP be at Silverstone in the future, perhaps?

#16 Jacquesback

Jacquesback

• 1,678 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 19:08

Tilke is involved with Donnington so my vote is for Silverstone.

#17 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,185 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 19:24

I went to the Donnington weekend in 93.
Brought the wife and everything. (that was the last race she ever attended)

Talk about a facility masquerading as a village fate...

Jp

#18 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:13

1,000 helicopter movements on raceday, I think not, unless Bernie plans to shut East Midlands Airport.

#19 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,633 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:15

Silverstone. Not even a question. Awesome track.

Advertisement

#20 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:16

What´s wrong with Silverstone?! :confused:
IMO one of the best tracks and usually it´s one of
the best races during the season and has been so for decades.

#21 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 21:09

Originally posted by Fortymark

My thoughts also. Donington will need a huge amount spent on it to bring it up to spec.

#22 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 21:10

Originally posted by Fortymark

There's nothing wrong with the track itself. In fact of all the tracks it's probably among the best in F1.

It's just everything else. And the fact the sanctioning fee is too low for CVC and Bernie's liking.

#23 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 21:14

Originally posted by kar

There's nothing wrong with the track itself. In fact of all the tracks it's probably among the best in F1.

It's just everything else. And the fact the sanctioning fee is too low for CVC and Bernie's liking.

Everything else like what? I have not been to Silverstone for a couple of years but I always thought the facilities were good.

#24 reason42

reason42

• 295 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 21:47

Originally posted by SirSaltire
Everything else like what? I have not been to Silverstone for a couple of years but I always thought the facilities were good.

Probably things that matter at a commercial level, rather than a sporting level. For example, corporate hospitality, income from turn styles, venue fees and so on. Probably nothing to do with the level of competition, the quality of the track and potential racing action - the things that should matter in motor sport.

One thing is for sure, it's nothing to do with the weather!

#25 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 21:50

Originally posted by jonpollak
I went to the Donnington weekend in 93.
Brought the wife and everything. (that was the last race she ever attended)

Talk about a facility masquerading as a village fate...

Jp

Cool, u saw Senna in the rain, masterclass.

I don't know how a dry Donnington race would be with current f1 cars, the 93 race was great with the rain, but with the grip still of current cars, it might not suite the racing, but maybe the rules will change again.

Any how, regarding Silverstone, Spa went and came back, Suzuka has gone, and yet to come back, but hopefully it will, maybe it was time to let it go and crave for it to come back, personally I think Suzuka not being in the season is more higher prority, much more of a drivers track, those Ss are made for f1.

#26 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 21:52

In current forrm, Silverstone vs Donington any day.
With some money, Brands Hatch over anyone else.

Will they change Donington's layout? It certainly seems too small and narrow now.

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 22:18

Originally posted by SeanValen

Any how, regarding Silverstone, Spa went and came back, Suzuka has gone, and yet to come back, but hopefully it will, maybe it was time to let it go and crave for it to come back, personally I think Suzuka not being in the season is more higher prority, much more of a drivers track, those Ss are made for f1.

Suzuka is confirmed on the 2009 calendar, thankfully. And maybe the Fuji/Suzuka alternation will pave the way for a similar structure being in place for Silverstone and Donington. As the past 20 years have shown, there is no earthly reason why Silverstone is fundamentally unfit for F1, and it won't exactly crumble without Bernie's constant attention. I can see MotoGP making the switch to Northants, provided it still exists in 2010. :drunk:

#28 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 22:36

Anyone been to Donington recently? Would the road infrastructure cope with 100,000 people?

#29 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 22:39

Anyone been to Donington recently? Would the road infrastructure cope with 100,000 people?

MotoGP gets 85-90,000, and although people complain about the jams getting out, as far as I'm concerned being stuck in the carpark for a couple of hours on the way out of the circuit is an integral part of going to a race. :up: :stoned:

But I'm sure many of the people Bernie was targeting when he switched the GP from Silverstone would disagree.;)

#30 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 22:44

Originally posted by Risil

MotoGP gets 85-90,000, and although people complain about the jams getting out, as far as I'm concerned being stuck in the carpark for a couple of hours on the way out of the circuit is an integral part of going to a race. :up: :stoned:

But I'm sure many of the people Bernie was targeting when he switched the GP from Silverstone would disagree.;)

I had no idea that MotoGP had such a big turnout. I'm not sure the reason for switching venues was to target a new audience. In fact I don't think Bernie cares much about folk at the track. Just money in HIS pocket and viewing figures (to keep sponsors happy). :(

#31 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:08

ive seen great races at donington in the past (on tv mind...)
possible to pass into turn one, the old hairpin, then next real turn, the turn onto teh straight (hard tho...) the chicane, and at both hairpins. classic circuit, and imo they dont need to make it longer, its hard to know what would be best :(

#32 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:25

Spend £100m on it and it would, at least, as well as any venue can handle, say, 40,000 cars descending on one place at the same time. £100m means a new pit/paddock complex, and I would imagine significant remodelling of most of the south side.

The WSR get's a LOT of spectators ( because it's free ) - and it's maybe 20 minutes to get in.

I remember the queue for Silverstone starting on the M40 when visiting it from the SW once. 22 miles of solid traffic....and you know what?

I didn't give a damn.

Doug

#33 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:26

Can't wait to see what Donnington looks like when Tilke gets done with it... :rolleyes:

#34 vlcc

vlcc

• 109 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:31

Originally posted by color
who cares?
bring on more tracks like monaco, valencia or singapore... others are just boring.

yea - spa, suzuka, boring eh?

#35 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,633 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:48

Originally posted by reason42

Probably things that matter at a commercial level, rather than a sporting level. For example, corporate hospitality, income from turn styles, venue fees and so on. Probably nothing to do with the level of competition, the quality of the track and potential racing action - the things that should matter in motor sport.

One thing is for sure, it's nothing to do with the weather!

I've been a guest in the hospitality suites (at Ferrari of all places!) at Silverstone. It was great.

#36 devil500

devil500

• 121 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:26

Bring BACK THE USGP :D :cool:

Voted Donington looks a bit more interesting :D

#37 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,633 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:47

Indy can't compare to Silverstone. That track was an abortion.

#38 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:10

I had no idea that MotoGP had such a big turnout. . :(

Don't usually follow bikes,but I did watch a bit of Donington TV coverage.One thing I noticed was that every bit of grass banking was covered with humanity,all wearing black :) Doubt if WSR got half that number despite free tickets? Maybe the bike fans all went by bike-a lot of them seemed to be passing through here on the friday.Personally I would rather they found a street circuit ,revive Birmingham? Voted for Donington-nearer to home,better spectator viewing,accessable by public transport.Airport next door for those coming from abroad-helicopters could be a problem.

#39 Matheson

Matheson

• 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:15

Geographically I would say Donny; but FFS don't let Tilke near the place. (How much does an assassination cost? In fact make it a triple - Tilke, S&Max, & the Oompa Loompa)
Common sense says leave it at Silverstone, and steal some of the Olympic money. I really wish the Oompa Loompa would just quit his vendetta against them (that Brazil remains on the calender surely contradicts...).

I vote for Knockhill :rotfl:

Advertisement

#40 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:17

Originally posted by Rob29
accessable by public transport

How is that? It's miles down country lanes.

#41 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:18

i went to the WSR a couple of years back, the car park was a field across from the main entrance, getting in was slow took about an hour to get in from the main road from nottingham, getting out took us nearly 3 hours to get from the track back to nottingham
the sunday was much worse, we gave up trying, we had been queuing for over an hour and we werent close to the motorway, as soon as we got to the motorway junction we ended up just leaving cos we werent even half way to the track

#42 jk

jk

• 1,750 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:32

Brundle drivers a Ferrari F1 on Donington:

It seems the Craner Curves is not that challengin in a modern F1. And with the new cars with smaller engines, they would probably be able to go almost flat out through there.
Donington is a pretty circuit, but it seems too small and tight for an F1 car. The Redgate to Coppice section is great, but probably not nearly as challenging in F1 as it is on bikes.

#43 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:47

Originally posted by stevewf1
Can't wait to see what Donnington looks like when Tilke gets done with it... :rolleyes:

That's one of the things that depresses me about this- I love Donington, it's one of my favourite tracks- I was born and brought up within 10 miles of the place, I saw my first ever race there, and even though I live 200 miles away now, I've been there at least a hundred times over the last 20 years, and as much as the place really does need bringing into the 21st century, the thought of it turned into another sanitised boring Tilke-drome isn't a happy one....

If Silverstone apparently can no longer cut it at F1 level, if Bernie's to be believed :rolleyes: , then I can't see how the hell Donington is going to do it without them basically digging the entire site up and starting again- and all done in time for 2010? I'm not holding my breath....

#44 jagnut

jagnut

• 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:47

I took the family to the BTCC at Donnington this year and my wife said she would never, ever go to the circuit again. If the £100 million improves the toilets, the spectator facilities, widens/lengthens the track and improves access, then it might make a decent event, but it can bear no resemblance to the current layout. Remember the Melbourne loop is only there to take it over 2 miles and qualify for top level competition.
If Bernie got upset at getting stuck in the Silverstone car park, he would go apoplectic at the current Donnington facilities. Garden fete just about sums it up.
I will be interested to see how they get a FIA F1 track licence with the current run-off, let alone facilities.
At least we still have a Grand Prix :clap:

#45 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:58

Originally posted by jagnut
I took the family to the BTCC at Donnington this year and my wife said she would never, ever go to the circuit again. If the £100 million improves the toilets, the spectator facilities, widens/lengthens the track and improves access, then it might make a decent event, but it can bear no resemblance to the current layout. Remember the Melbourne loop is only there to take it over 2 miles and qualify for top level competition.
If Bernie got upset at getting stuck in the Silverstone car park, he would go apoplectic at the current Donnington facilities. Garden fete just about sums it up.
I will be interested to see how they get a FIA F1 track licence with the current run-off, let alone facilities.
At least we still have a Grand Prix :clap:

I wouldn't bet on us still having a GP- I struggle to see how the scale of works that you describe are going to be ready in time, unless they're basically planning to close the place down for the entire 2009 season.

I've got an awful fear that this will end in one of three ways:
1. Sometime late 2009, the BRDC will get a call from the Donington investors saying 'we won't be ready in time- what'll it cost to lease Silverstone for the 2010 GP weekend?
2. Sometime late 2009, Bernie will get a call from the Donington investors saying 'we won't be ready in time'- and Bernie hands the date over to Dubai, Moscow or anywhere else he's got lined up
3. Donington gets rebuilt and the race goes ahead in 2010, but at a barely-finished Donington that still looks like a construction site- Bernie gets stuck in a carpark somewhere, accuses them of breaching their contract and it's 'Bye-Bye British GP'

I can't shake off the feeling that for Bernie this deal has nothing to so with saving the British GP, and everything to do with how much money he thinks he can screw out of the Donington investors....

#46 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 16:16

Originally posted by rolf123

How is that? It's miles down country lanes.

Aparently a rail link to the airport opens in December.

#47 elia37

elia37

• 47 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 22:50

Originally posted by fifi
i went to the WSR a couple of years back, the car park was a field across from the main entrance, getting in was slow took about an hour to get in from the main road from nottingham, getting out took us nearly 3 hours to get from the track back to nottingham
the sunday was much worse, we gave up trying, we had been queuing for over an hour and we werent close to the motorway, as soon as we got to the motorway junction we ended up just leaving cos we werent even half way to the track

We went to WSR last year: on Saturday we queued for 3 hours on the M1 sliproad, moving about 100 yards in that time, before giving up and going home. On Sunday it took 2 hours to get into the circuit.