Photo

Eddie Whitham's 1960s photo collection

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:46

Phil Hosker (AuroraF1 to members of this forum) has been entrusted with a collection of transparencies taken by photographer Eddie Whitham during the 1960s. Eddie worked for, and, indeed, still does work for a North West newspaper, although these days his interest is in Rugby League but during the sixties he covered meetings at Oulton Park as well as the RAC Rally, and was at Lake Coniston in January 1967 leading up to Donald Campbell's ill-fated attempt at the world water speed record.

Phil's interest in the collection is for lodging in the Oulton Park archive, but possible publication is being considered and he would be interested to gauge reaction before proceeding further. So far, I have seen about 90 of the photos and the quality is superb. They centre around personality and grid/pitlane shots, although there is track coverage too.

Here are a few as a sample

Posted Image
Stewart and Clark converse before the 1965 Gold Cup
Posted Image
Brabham, Tauranac and Honda mechanics 1965 Gold Cup
Posted Image
Graham Hill in John Coombs' Brabham 1965 Spring Trophy
Posted Image
Jackie Stewart in the H-16 BRM Spring Trophy 1967

Advertisement

#2 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:54

Superb photos Alan, Black Jack's car is an F2 Brabham Honda? The picture convey such a great period, evrything seems more "familiar" with the motor racing that I grew up with :up: However, some of these were from 43 years ago, makes me feel soo old :smoking:

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:07

Posted Image

"It's definitely only firing on twelve - hang on .... thirteen .... nope, definitely twelve!"

(Sorry - couldn't resist!)

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:09

I support anything which makes fresh period archives available to the public, especially if you have to pay for them and the owner gets some benefit..... Time and again more detail emerges and it is of immense value to historians and enthusiast alike. Rather like the Revival, publication of fresh photo collections may even bring new blood to the ranks of those interested in so-called historic motorsport. On TNF we have seen the suport and enthusiasm for the Australian photo threads, as well as others, inter alia , such as those put up by Jerry Entin, plus the likes of the Norman Hayes collection. Puiblication is expensive, I grant you, so possibly a CD Rom collection may be an alternative with suitable copyright protection. Put me on the list either way, book or CD.
I know from my own research just how valuable access to personal photos from a specific period can be.
On the other hand, I may just be a sucker for good photos.
Roger Lund

#5 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:18

Yes, superb quality! :up: :love:

#6 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:40

Originally posted by bradbury west
On the other hand, I may just be a sucker for good photos.
Roger Lund

My sentiments entirely, I would be very interested too, CD would be good, but whatever format :up:

#7 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 13:51

:wave: The samples are superb , as is the quality , and they are from such a great period, I am for a book or CD or ....... :smoking: :up: :up:

#8 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 15:15

Great Pics, would love to see more. :up:

#9 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 19:10

Thanks for the positive response, chaps. I thought you might be impressed. I'm sure that Phil (and Eddie) will be pleased to hear your comments.

Here is one final offering fior the time being, until such time as a decision is made of how best to offer them to a wider public. It's one of the Campbell/Coniston set - knowing what we know now, I find them extremely telling, and a tad eerie with the cold colours of winter cast over the scene.
Posted Image

#10 Billy Sollocks

Billy Sollocks

• 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:39

WOW !! Wonderful photos :)

#11 luca

luca

• 77 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:41

Hi Alan, I was not aware that Oulton Park had an archive, could you let me know more. As said above I too am all for the viewing to the public of old photos. Is there any saloon car photos in the collection. Thanks Luca.

#12 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:08

There had used to be a couple of cardboard boxes absolutely jam packed with photographs under a table in the old office (next to the old scrutineers bay). The old dear (damned if I can remember her name) told me to take them away. By the time I had persuaded her indoors that it was a good idea (it took me at leas 10 days) and went back to collect them she had thrown them out. She just had no interest in Motor Racing, had worked there since the days of Paddy Denton and had never seen a race. "they brought me bitter news to bear and bitter tears to shed" I have never asked permission for anything to do with motoring since.

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:16

Phil Hosker has taken the initiative to begin working on an archive, luca, with the support of Dr Palmer, and is assembling programmes, photos and memorabilia/tickets/passes etc as funds allow. He is fairly reliant on the goodwill of donors at the moment.

#14 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 13:58

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Phil Hosker has taken the initiative to begin working on an archive, luca, with the support of Dr Palmer, and is assembling programmes, photos and memorabilia/tickets/passes etc as funds allow. He is fairly reliant on the goodwill of donors at the moment.

An excellent idea. I'm sure there are many people on TNF willing to help out.

The collections that have appeared on here recently are fascinating. Some are well before my time but are still of interest. The Cambell/Coniston pic says it all really. A different time and different atmosphere.

The background image on my MAC has never been changed so many times :)

#15 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 16:14

Posted Image

That is just gorgeous..

#16 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 17:50

Fabulous photos!

#17 Cargo

Cargo

• 244 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 19:11

Posted Image

Good grief!!!! :love: I'm only an intermittent/occasional visitor to this forum, but this picture is gets my vote as the finest I've ever seen posted here ... on any thread. Just spent 20 minutes drooling....

If this fellow's archive has any more stuff like this, he's sitting on a fortune. The picture is absolutely stunning.

{polite cough} Ahem, any chance of a 1200x800 version? (will look quite good as a screensaver...Ah, well. worth a try... : )

#18 Dennis Currington

Dennis Currington

• 145 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 22:07

While not even close in quality to the Eddie Whitham photos posted, I have recently acquired the use of a collection of photos taken from 1966-68 at Riverside, Stardust and a couple at Laguna Seca. They were taken by Jonesy Morris who has been discussed in several of Jerry Entin's posts. Jonesy sold them on eBay last year when he "liquidated" and retired to a sailboat off the coast of Mexico. The buyer is selling prints from these slide on eBay and agreed to let me use them on my site and my upcoming Stardust site with referrals to his eBay store.

What I have is scans from the original slides that I cleaned up in Photoshop. I am not happy with all of them and plan on going through the collection again one of these days. I was waiting to post them (although I have previously posted individual shots) until I got all the names, dates and places noted. That may be a while so here they are:

http://classicracing...g2_itemId=24284

If you would like a copy of any, I will send you the link to the owners eBay store.

#19 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 955 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:13

Fantastic stuff. I'd love to see the gems published.

Advertisement

#20 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 778 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:06

We get spoiled here :clap:

#21 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:40

:clap: You are right , but the picture that has "taken" me so far is the Campbell one! Though of a boat, the whole scenery , the air and atmosphere is really weird , the background and the "old" people , the man with the wooden stick , like "touching" this sciencefiction subject that has landed on the water ,and the details so sharp, 1000 times at least better than out of Star Wars , "real sciencefiction" ! :smoking:

#22 sheppane

sheppane

• 46 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 14:30

:up:

The Campbell Bluebird picture is wonderful. Probably one of the best colour images I have ever seen of K7.
The bright sapphire blue against the winter lakes landscape, with Maurice Parfitt ( Bluebird team technical engineer) push off K7 with a boathook.... It's difficult to believe that picture is 41.5 yrs old.

K7 was 12 years old by this time, but still, only 1 boat has travelled faster....

Alan, thanks for sharing this gem with us.

A work of art.

Neil

#23 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 15:29

Please forgive the repetitiveness of this but, yes, the Bluebird picture is really quite wonderful.

I can't stop coming back to look at it.

Whilst my personal preference would be for a book and not a CD, what about some limited edition prints?

I for one would love to have that Coniston picture hanging in my study...

#24 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 17:08

I'm amazed (well, not really, given the amazing quality of the picture) by the interest shown in the Bluebird photo. Apart from those who have posted here, I have had quite a number of emails from people asking if copies are available. At the moment Phil is dealing with Eddie and, in due course, let's hope that something will be arranged to satisfy all.

#25 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 17:31

Originally posted by sheppane
:up:

The Campbell Bluebird picture is wonderful. Probably one of the best colour images I have ever seen of K7.
The bright sapphire blue against the winter lakes landscape, with Maurice Parfitt ( Bluebird team technical engineer) push off K7 with a boathook.... It's difficult to believe that picture is 41.5 yrs old.

K7 was 12 years old by this time, but still, only 1 boat has travelled faster....

A work of art.

Neil

Welcome Neil!!! Wondered how long it would take you!

This is a truely exceptional picture, clearly showing the damage inflicted by an errant seagull/duck. Few pictures capture the moment as well as this one. Having said that, Stewart in the 115, with Peter Wrights outside water pipes, the detail is superb...

#26 sheppane

sheppane

• 46 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 17:57

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by sheppane

A work of art.

Neil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome Neil!!! Wondered how long it would take you!

This is a truely exceptional picture, clearly showing the damage inflicted by an errant seagull/duck. Few pictures capture the moment as well as this one. Having said that, Stewart in the 115, with Peter Wrights outside water pipes, the detail is superb...

Steve Holter

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome.

When I saw that, I thought I had gone to Heaven.

Wonderfull...as is all colour of the old bird... It brings it to life for me. Can't wait to see the others in the set...

#27 Carlos Guerra

Carlos Guerra

• 90 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 20:35

Count me in for whatever gets published.
The picture of K7 at Lake Coniston is simply gorgeous.

#28 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 21:05

Posted Image

This is a very eerie photo with the water looking very calm and sedate, unknown what would happen in a short period of time later.

Beautiful photo.

#29 jadb1

jadb1

• 404 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:42

Beautiful photos :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#30 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 20:56

Called at Oulton Park today and, by chance, met Eddie who was meeting Phil Hosker to catch up on progress. He seems a great guy, with a lot of stories to tell of his days as a press 'hack', and is genuinely pleased that people are enjoying his efforts. Phil will try to persuade him to visit a Northern TNF meeting.
I also collected another 100 transparencies which include some very nice mid-'sixties saloon action - Lotus Cortinas, Mustangs, Imps, Anglias etc., and motor bikes, too. He also covered a lot of '60s and '70s rallies, Mintex, RAC..

#31 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 21:01

Called at Oulton Park today and, by chance, met Eddie who was meeting Phil Hosker to catch up on progress. He seems a great guy, with a lot of stories to tell of his days as a press 'hack', and is genuinely pleased that people are enjoying his efforts. Phil will try to persuade him to visit a Northern TNF meeting.
I also collected another 100 transparencies which include some very nice mid-'sixties saloon action - Lotus Cortinas, Mustangs, Imps, Anglias etc., and motor bikes, too. He also covered a lot of '60s and '70s rallies, Mintex, RAC..

Sounds brilliant Alan, any rally car shots to be posted? :cat:

#32 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 21:17

Talking , O/T , of rally car photos, I saw the Tony Gardiner book on the RAC from '64 in Borders the other day. Excellent work, IMHO, with lots of good shots , esp in b/w of the '60s cars, and good detail.
Roger Lund.

#33 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 18:32

Alan, thanks so much for posting the Hailwood shot from Oulton Park, its a brilliant picture. If you could find the time to put some more bike pics up, I know the guys would be most appreciative.

#34 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:46

Superb pictures, I have to agree, I gasped when the K7 picture scrolled up into view!
There is of course a national collection / database of photographs, programmes and general memorabilia supported by the MSA -'The National Motor Racing Archive' which is run by Martin Hadwen from Watton in Norfolk. http://www.motorracing-archive.com

#35 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 19:12

K7...stunning.
Computer background now.
Apparently it is Coniston Water not 'Lake.'
I have been rebuked over it today !

#36 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 19:19

Originally posted by hipperson

Apparently it is Coniston Water not 'Lake.'
I have been rebuked over it today !

Indeed. There is only one lake in the Lake District.

#37 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 19:45

Merely a different word

#38 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 21:02

Originally posted by Sharman
Merely a different word

:up: :lol:

Aye. There are meres, tarns and waters. But there is only one "lake" .... Bassenthwaite Lake. Whose name incorporates another name for lake!

#39 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 21:07

I was in the office at Oulton today. These pictures are something else.

Advertisement

#40 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:20

GREAT photos. :up:

That Bluebird K7 is breathtaking.

When we will full resolution versions be available? Need that one for the study.

#41 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 21:14

I am pleased to report that I am now able to post a few more of Eddie's excellent photos for your delectation.

Firstly, a couple of Jim Clark and Brian Melia in their Lotus Cortina at a service halt on the 1966 RAC Rally
Posted Image
Posted Image

Two from the 1967 Oulton Park Spring Trophy - John Surtees with the Honda, and Graham Hill with the Lotus 48
Posted Image
Posted Image

And two of Jack Brabham - 1965 Spring Trophy F2 meeting, and 1965 Gold Cup saloon car race.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 21:16

any idea on who that is talking to Graham Hill?

#43 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 21:35

...and a couple more from his Bluebird Coniston collection. Fantastically evocative shots, I think you will agree.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 23:15

Fantastic!!

#45 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 18:04

Originally posted by Gary C
any idea on who that is talking to Graham Hill?

Geoff Murdoch, Competitions Manager of Esso

#46 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 23:29

Collated from other threads:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#47 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:53

Alan,

You've been tempting us with these images for 6 months now. Are we now nearer a formal publication that one can subscribe to?

Having seen the Gold Cup films at the last NE & Wales TNF "Do" how much more is lurking in the background? :)

#48 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 17:19

Aurora Phil is the man to fill you in with chapter and verse on any future project concerning Eddie's pics. At last Wednesday's meeting he said he didn't think there were any more photos likely to come to light, but I live in hope! I haven't posted them all, by any means, so they may just continue to appear here for the time being.

#49 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 17:47

Those are amazing, and make me feel my pics are even more amateurish than I allready thought.

And that Bluebird picture is almost beyond words, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :clap:

#50 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 17:55

so they may just continue to appear here for the time being.

:clap: