Photo

Photos of Austin Healey Sprites (Mk1 'Frogeyes')

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 22:50

I am in the process of building a database of as many UK registered Mk1 Sprites (frogeyes here in the UK) as possible.
There are currently nearly 900 Sprites on the database, ranging from rusty wrecks and fifty year old photos of cars (most of which have probably now departed) to concourse newly rebuilt Sprites.
if you have any old (or new) images, I would most grateful if you could forward them to me.

The reason for the database is two-fold
1. To have a permanent central database of images and information of UK registered Mk1 Sprites for historic purposes
2. To aid ex owners and new owners of the cars to piece together their car's histories.

I have already been able to assist in identifying a car previously owned by a chap from Coventry (now living in California) which he thought may have had a bit of racing history. It turns out that the car was indeed raced in 1959 and the early 1960s by Wing Commander K.W.(mac) Mackenzie and was the sister car to Paddy Gaston's famous "RAM35" Sprite.
While we don't believe that the car still exists, it is all still valuable information which would otherwise have been lost.
By the way if you are interested, Wing Commander K.W.(mac) Mackenzie managed to down a Messerschmitt Bf109 with his Hurricane even though he had run out of ammunition, by knocking off it's tail!

here are a couple of images. One during its racing career and one after its retirement

Posted Image Posted Image

Many thanks in advance for your help

Gary Lazarus
Spridget50
Midget & Sprite Club
garyfrogeye@googlemail.com

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 23:45

Hi Gary, I have always been a fan of the Sprites although I started out with 'Big' Healeys. I also spent some time (And bottles of Scotch) with Donald Healey whose favourite car was the early Sprite.

I am in the process of buying a modified Frogeye that was fitted with Lenham bodywork many years ago. The Lenham bodywork is unusual in that it does not use the standard Sprite w/shield frame as most Lenhams do. It has a windhshield frame that forms a continuation of the bodywork and looks rather like a Lotus Elite. The registration number is 505 CYF. I have learned that it was first registered in 1961 and stayed with the same owner until 1986. It has some obvious competition modifications and a 1275 engine. It was sold to someone in California in 1986 but never used again. I have sent a request for info with money to the DVLC in Wales but they sent it back saying "We don't provide information to people not resident in the UK"!
Have you ever heard of this car-any suggestions?
Many thanks, David Birchall, Vancouver

#3 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 23:58

Hi David,

I didn't expect a reply so quickly.
The windscreen you describe sounds more like a Sebring one.
While I have no information on "505 CYF" I would be delighted to do some investigation on your behalf. Perhaps if you send me some more information, I could contact DVLC on your behalf.
I will also have a word with John Baggott who is in the process of writing another book on Sprites Also Ray English in Australia who runs the "Sprite Room" (now bigger than a room!) which is a museum dedicated specifically to Mk1 Sprites. He also published a quarterly magazine called Marque One, again specifically about Mk1 Sprites.

Give me a day or two and I'll see what I can find out

Gary

#4 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 00:50

Originally posted by garyfrogeye
Hi David,

I didn't expect a reply so quickly.
The windscreen you describe sounds more like a Sebring one.
While I have no information on "505 CYF" I would be delighted to do some investigation on your behalf. Perhaps if you send me some more information, I could contact DVLC on your behalf.
I will also have a word with John Baggott who is in the process of writing another book on Sprites Also Ray English in Australia who runs the "Sprite Room" (now bigger than a room!) which is a museum dedicated specifically to Mk1 Sprites. He also published a quarterly magazine called Marque One, again specifically about Mk1 Sprites.

Give me a day or two and I'll see what I can find out

Gary

Thanks, Gary. It is definately not a Sebring body. :)

#5 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:45

I forgot to add that obviously no images would be made public without the owners express permission and that none of the images will be used for commercial purposes in any way.

here's one of mine
Posted Image

#6 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:46

:wave: For Targa Florio Sprites :

http://www.forum-aut...sujet378358.htm

:smoking:

#7 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 17:36

VVD 185 1959 Currently in restoration :rolleyes: usual story - 2 house moves and 2 kids have held things up for a year or ............10 :blush:

Posted Image

Cheers

David

#8 sandy

sandy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:24

Posted Image

Not a UK frogeye but the wide wheels suit it and may be of interest.

#9 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:20

Many thanks David and Sandy.

I too have wider wheels on the Frogeye, fairly rare 5 1/2 inch original disk wheels (not banded) made by Rubery Owen(?) which enables me to still keep the original hubcaps.

Sandy have you heard or been in contact with Ray English? He'd be very interested in your Sprite. I'd be happy to pass on his contact details should you wish.

Thanks again

Gary

#10 sandy

sandy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:44

Gary,

It is with deep regret that I have to say that the photo was taken almost 30 years ago and the Sprite is long gone.

#11 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 17:34

Two shots from Oulton Park in the Mid -1980s.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#12 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 19:38

My Dad has an Arkley SS rebodied Sprite. It's a total rusty wreck, but I think there we have some pictures of it.

I'm a massive fan of the Frogeye and would ideally love to see the knackered Arkley returned to Austin-Healey trim, but it's too big and expensive a job.

#13 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 21:39

Originally posted by LotusElise
My Dad has an Arkley SS rebodied Sprite. It's a total rusty wreck, but I think there we have some pictures of it.

I'm a massive fan of the Frogeye and would ideally love to see the knackered Arkley returned to Austin-Healey trim, but it's too big and expensive a job.

Pick up a stripped chassis on ebay-lots of them in the US with no rust-replacing rusty metal with more metal is demoralizing. :(

#14 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 21:52

Many thanks Phil,
Both cars are new to me and have been added to the database.

LotusElise

This car used to be an Arkley before it was returned to it's old self.
Posted Image

But Arkleys are now getting rare so which ever way it's done, it would be lovely to have another one back on the road/track.

#15 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 22:05

The Arkley is actually up for sale. Dad already has too may projects on the go and wants to concentrate on them.
Would still like a Frogeye of my own one day.

#16 David Kipling

David Kipling

• 65 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 00:15

;)
I like this Ecurie Ecosse Sprite as raced at Le Mans. Team mechanic Scotty Hewitt told me that when he test-drove it at high speed, the front-end became so light that the steering was almost useless. His solution? Tap the brakes --- front end settles --- quickly steer where you want! Call him nerves-of-steel.
http://www.oldstox.c...es/Sprite 2.jpg

#17 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 599 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:18

Here is the, slightly dirty, 1959 Sprite that belonged to my Best Man, Bill Lewis (no longer with us).

Posted Image

#18 frangible

frangible

• 70 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 13:19

902 TPL owned 1966 - 1968. Old English White with red interior.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 frangible

frangible

• 70 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 13:23

Unknown Sprite at Lydden Hill 1970
Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 frangible

frangible

• 70 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 13:36

Unknown Sprite - pub carpark near Puttenden Manor (Lingfield) Autocross late 60s.
Posted Image

#21 frangible

frangible

• 70 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 13:48

Unknown Sprite at GRRC Annual Vehicle Display August 2004.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 14:32

Hi Franible
Many thanks,

This is fantastic stuff and I really appreciate it.
You can read about WJB707 here
http://www.sebringsp....com/WJB707.htm

Here being driven by Stephen Bowen
Posted Image

If only!
Posted Image

And how it looked earlier this year at Goodwood
Posted Image

All images copywright of Martin Ingall and his fantastic Sebring Sprite website

Very moody images of 902TPL. Didn't it overheat with those spotlights infront of the rad?

#23 frangible

frangible

• 70 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 14:45

Yes it did get warm - I was young and naive! Mostly it ran with the spots folded down. Did I learn though? Nah!

Posted Image

All the photos are mine BTW so no copyright issues. Thanks for the info on WJB707. :)

#24 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 22:23

Originally posted by frangible
Unknown Sprite at Lydden Hill 1970
Posted Image

This is how it looked in a previous incarnation before your photo

Posted Image

And this is how it looks these days

Posted Image

#25 frangible

frangible

• 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:18

Great to know these cars are still going strong... :D

#26 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:32

This is how it looked in a previous incarnation before your photo

Posted Image

And this is how it looks these days

Posted Image

Not unknown to me , its Frank Tiedeman's car he has used it for hillclimbs at Prescott and circuit racing for the last 30 years. Frank still has the car he is in his late 80s now and not too well. He first started racing at Silverstone in 1950 in an Austin Seven Ulster which he still has and was still racing last year as well as a Lotus 22 and others.

It is a genuine original Sebring with a documented continuous history and used to be raced and rallycrossed by Nick Ramus

#27 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:42

A couple more images, this time from Mallory Park.

This has now been added to the database.......

Posted Image

...whereas this spectacularly driven example might be an addition?

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#28 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 21:40

Many thanks Phil,

Do you have any idea or can you work out what the registration number of the green is?

#29 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,325 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:29

I don't know if the below are any good for you; I took them at Classics on the Common last night as I remembered this thread (I have a picture of John Wingfield competing in his Sprite and I keep forgetting to scan it!!).

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 14:24

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for taking the time to post the two photos.
I recognise the leaf green Frogeye due to it's spare wheel and higher suspension (I think it gets used in trials). The blue one however is new to me as far as I remember. I'll check the database when I get home.
Which common are the classics on and is it a regular event?

I very much look forward to seeing the scan of John Wingfield competing in his Sprite when you get the chance to upload it.

Regards

Gary

#31 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,325 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 14:30

No worries Gary, glad to be of sevice!!
I did look for the owners but couldn't see any, plus I had been somewhat accosted by my car for quite a bit (great to meet Mr Hinton, fellow TNFer) and I wanted to see some cars before it got too dark.

It's a regualr event http://www.classicsonthecommon.com/ It's very ecclectic but is good fun and you get all sorts there; last night they reckon there were over a 1000 "classics", pretty good for a little town show!!

I'll try and remember the other picture tonight and post it tomorrow.

#32 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 14:49

Many thanks Gregor,

I'll try to get up there at some point.
If you're ever intending to pop down to the Ace cafe for the Classics Car night. Do let me know.
They do an excellent Toad in the Hole. Though It does make your car go slower.

#33 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,325 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 15:16

I thought I'd posted this earlier today but it seems to have gone missing!!

Here it is again:-

Posted Image

My Mum had it in a scrapbook and tells me that it is John Wingfield and is from the late 1950s or early 1960s. It doesn't look like any pictures I have of John but they are all from the mid 1970s and my Mum should know more than me as he was a good friend and passed away before I was born.

Any ideas where it's from? I don't know a lot about the backgrounds of Hillclimb venues in the UK but if it was a circuit I could almost see it being Thruxton?

#34 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 15:32

Thanks Gregor,

I'll ask and see if I can find out if anyone knows which venue. It also looks like quite a rarer Pemarsh front but I'll check that when I get home too.

Thanks again as these images are like small gems to me. It's an affliction I'm afraid.

#35 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 19:01

Some pictures from the 2007 Spa 6H support races:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

1960 Frogeye driven by Tony Davis and Brian Mitcham / Top Hat series.

#36 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 19:04

and a Sebring driven by Christopher Clegg and Martin Mc Glone :

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#37 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 20:51

Many thanks Phil,

Do you have any idea or can you work out what the registration number of the green is?

*56BTV?

Posted Image

One more for the collection.....sorry no reg on this one

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#38 drivers71

drivers71

• 306 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:04

Gary - Hope this modified Mk1 is of interest - and that you can tell me it's history?
It's the 'Team Castrol' Sprite Mk1; 1116cc; in the Modified Sports Car race at Mallory Park, on 03 June 1973.
Driven by John Truslove.
He finished second in class E, behind Garry V. Wilson (in a 1149cc Sprite)

Posted Image

#39 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:02

Maybe we should have a thread on :-

'The most dangerous looking trailer anyone has ever brought a car to a race meeting on ' !!

Advertisement

#40 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:59

How about most dangerous towing Richard, how does a 100/4 on a trailer from Manchester to Siverstone (and back) behind a MIni grab you?

#41 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:06

That does sound pretty bad.
I have to own up here, in the early 70s towing a Mini on a two wheel trailer with an MG Midget, and towing a Mini with a Mini. ....and once towing a 3 series BMW with a Fiesta !

#42 drivers71

drivers71

• 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 20:55

Being as we're owning up to possibly exceeding our respective towing limits; and also as it was a long time ago and I obviously know a lot better now. The car I used to tow my first GTV6 (on a nice, but heavy tilt-bed trailer) was a....................................................GTV6!
OK, the racer was lighter, but certainly not the trailer's weight lighter.
Surprised I wasn't stopped at all during those two years. Next tow car was a 3 litre 75, which was similarly way above it's towing limit, but somehow looked a lot better!

#43 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:27

I have some pics of a couple of Sprites still racing here in deepest, darkest Canada. However, I won't post them for the moment seeing as how the thread specifies UK registered cars - unless Gary (or anyone else want's to see them).

Neil

#44 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 16:45

Found another........ :)

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#45 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 21:40

Many thanks Phil.

I believe that the car is/was being driven by Keith Pettit. Perhaps you could tell me where?

Here is the car today (taken at Gaydon for the Spridget50 celebrations in May).

Posted Image

#46 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:16

Originally posted by Option1
I have some pics of a couple of Sprites still racing here in deepest, darkest Canada. However, I won't post them for the moment seeing as how the thread specifies UK registered cars - unless Gary (or anyone else want's to see them).

Neil

Let's see them! Nothing like deep, dark, Canadian Sprites....

#47 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:34

Posted Image

Gary

This shot is taken at Oulton Park and the car in entering Old Hall corner. The picture will have been taken around 1986/87

Kind regards

Phil

#48 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 13:34

Many thanks again Phil. If I come across the owner again I'll let him know that his car is a well photographed beastie.

#49 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:23

So, should I post some deep dark down under frogeyes as well??

#50 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:25

Yes please Mr Haggis. The deeper and darker the better.