Photo

Vintage Indy photos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 00:49

Here is a link to some really excellent, period photographs of the racing at Indy. I'd think that This fellow and Buford's dad were at the same place at the same time, taking virtually the same pictures.

Enjoy ~

Advertisement

#2 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:24

Thanks for the link. This photo certainly caught my attention. Was that guardrail over the creek as insufficient and blunt-ended as it appears in this photo, or was it set diagonally to the track so that it would be at least marginally beneficial?

#3 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:05

Richard, great stuff! :up:

This would be a favorite: http://www.winterink.../dad001_006.htm

Henry

#4 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 15:19

Originally posted by Rob G
Thanks for the link. This photo certainly caught my attention. Was that guardrail over the creek as insufficient and blunt-ended as it appears in this photo, or was it set diagonally to the track so that it would be at least marginally beneficial?

That guardrail was indeed as hazardous as it appears, though partly "sheltered" by the pit wall (not visible on the right, but making a hit from the racing line rather improbable). What is more surprising and almost shocking, is the fact that there was a guardrail at all! Which other circuit sported such safety luxury in the fifties?