1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport Spyder
Posted 07 August 2008 - 23:25
"ex-Luigi Scarfiotti, Scuderia Ferrari"
Being offered at Auction at Bonhams
Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated.
Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:40
Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:57
The car had just been imported to the States, I believe from Italy.
If it is a question of provenance, the answers will lie somewhere in Italy..............................
Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:36
In part from memory I do recall the following.
Approx. 2005 Chris Gardner (what happened to him ?) a Bugatti/ Delage dealer from USA/ Europe had it for sale
DISCOVERIES ON THE ALFA ROMEO 1750 GS CHASSIS 8513033 (EX SCUDERIA FERRARI)
The ex: Scarfiotti 6c1750 Alfa Romeo has given us a chance to revel in true “case study” likely the most important time capsule of Alfa Romeo and Ferrari history to come to light in 50 years. Chassis “33”” has spent its life keeping the original integrity, un-touched by the common undoing by over preservation and decay, so often the norm with vintage Alfa Romeo’s. Preserved in chassis 33 are all the mechanical parts fitted and used on this Alfa, nothing has been removed, nothing has gone missing, nothing has been changed or disturbed.
Included in the examination of this chassis is evidence of the maintenance of the Scuderia Ferrari’s mechanics during the races periods from 1930 to 1933. From that era to now, only a cosmetic restoration of the body and a complete check of the mechanical parts have been performed. The experts that performed these works studied for one year the status of the car. The wise decision to proceed with a slight cosmetic restoration was made. All the parts were catalogued. At the time the discovery was made the numbers on the car where confirmed matching and within the original range of the ten numbers catalogued in the assembly sequence. The gearbox, differential gear, steering box, front axle, supercharger, and frame are all original to chassis number 8513033. The chassis number stamped again on the extreme end right rear side of the frame confirms that this car was sent to France to the 1932 Le Mans as a mule of the Alfa Romeo Racing Team. This fact is confirmed through the existing original documents, all in their original text.
It was a fact that all the Alfa Romeos temporary exported were marked on the rear right top of frame location, stamped with small numbers reflecting the chassis number. The frame has the correct part number, a different number than the chassis number, but clearly identified as a short chassis Grand Sport Supercharged. All numbers are genuine and further examination of the chassis show that the chassis still has its grey original paint, under later coats applied over the years.
The engine is the original, born with the car. When opened for a overhauling it was discovered that five pistons of the six are marked with the logo SF (Scuderia Ferrari). This is likely the earliest documented account of Ferrari’s signature on certainly what is the Scuderia’s premier race car. As confirmed by an old Ferrari historical figure, all the spare parts changed from the mechanics of the Scuderia Ferrari were marked with a little logo “SF” and from mid 1932 with a little rampant horse. It confirms that no one has disturbed the engine of 8513033 after the setting of the 1931 Mille Miglia. The SF logo is also marked on an interesting piece found inside the rear baggage trunk; a small brass cylinder with a plug fitted during the Mille Miglia and marked by Scuderia’s crew attesting to their procedure of checking the Scuderi’a cars with a special signature. Still, all these hallmarks appear, not restored, not polished, but as they appeared in 1930/1931. These signatures appear today as the nearest one can get to an automotive archaeological discovery.
Another interesting original piece, still fitted to the dash of this Alfa Romeo, is a brass plate of the concessionary of this Alfa Romeo. Enzo Ferrari was the Alfa Romeo dealer for Emilia Romagna and Marche. All the cars sold by its company they installed this brass plate, under the Alfa Romeo logo “Concessionaria Emilia Romagna-Marche - Cav. Enzo Ferrari - Scuderia Ferrari”. Scarfiotti lived and moved his business near Macerata in the Marcher region. Because of this the concessionary plate, the MC on the license plate (MC it corresponds to Macerate) and the Madonna of Loreto (village with Sanctuary in the Marche) badge on the steering wheel.
Over 4 years have passed since this Alfa Romeo emerged from its resting place of some 65 years. After the recovery of the original photos, and documents from the Scarfiotti family and there assessment to the ‘’inside’’ story of the great grandfather’s passion with Alfa Romeo the story can be told. By hearing the Ferrari tuned motor one can feel what this new found music was to the maestro himself, Enzo Ferrari, and his commanders, the founders of the Scuderia.
"Who is to say what is real, and what is DEALER SPEAK"