Photo

Enzo lived in Brazil? No, he didn't

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 550spyder

550spyder

• 220 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 15:45

In an old issue of a brazilian magazine Autoesporte, more especifically, issue number 14, December 1965, page 27, there is an interview with Enzo Ferrari with the title: "Sono un Uomo Finito".

The interview was made by magazine editor Victor Antonio Gouveia, a well known and respected brazilian journalist.

Ferrari seems depressed in the interview and this is understandable. The familly´s problems with his wife, the tentative "coup d´etat" in 61 and the problems after de Portago acident that endured for long time.

In the interview, Enzo Ferrari declared that lived in São PAulo, Brasil, in the city of Campinas, circa 1927/28 and had a girlfriend, daughter of a coffe producer whose familly name was Martins. Ferrari also declared that was thinking at that time to start his factory at São Paulo.

Can anyone add more details to this history? I never read anything about this subject in Enzo´s biographies.

Advertisement

#2 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 16:55

I have never heard of this.

It seems strange also the title of the magazine.

At that time Ferrari lived a moment of glory, he again humiliated Ford at Le Mans, he won the Targa Florio, he had produced the 330 GT.
Maybe he was depressed for the recent death of his mother.

#3 550spyder

550spyder

• 220 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 17:04

You´re right, he was depressed by the death of his "mama" four days before the interview. I forgot to mention that, sorry abou that.

The magazine title is not strange at all, it still existis and Autoesporte is plainlly portuguese, Auto means automobile in portuguese and esporte is sport as well. Today belongs to Globo Group:

http://revistaautoesporte.globo.com/

#4 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 18:01

Sorry, there's a misunderstanding.

I was referring to the title of the article (Sono un uomo finito = I am a ruined man), not the magazine.
;)

#5 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:25

Briefly Switzerland, yes, but Brazil I doubt. :confused:

DCN

#6 550spyder

550spyder

• 220 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 20:36

Doug,
I told you before about this, at that time I didn´t have the magazine to read again. I believe in the history, since Victor Gouveia was a honest journalist.

Actually, reading the interview, was Enzo that called the subject telling that the Ferrari factory almost was started at São Paulo and explained the facts. Victor didn´t asked this, Ferrari told him freelly.

I do not believe Ferrari was kidding a third world country journalist or pleasing a foreigner but we will never know.

#7 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:11

In September I hope to meet Valerio Stradi.
If I'll see him I will ask.

#8 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:14

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Briefly Switzerland, yes

DCN

Excuse me Mr. Nye.
Was it to try to cure the disease of his son?

#9 550spyder

550spyder

• 220 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:31

I believe that the history is plausible. In the late 20`s Italy should be not the best place to live and Ferrari was young.

A lot of italians came to Brasil hopping to a better life and opportunities after WWI. Maybe it was an episode that the biographers did not think as relevant, since the majority focused in the Alfa Romeo era in the thirties and after.

#10 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 22:26

In 1927 Ferrari was the owner of the Garage Italia, Alfa Romeo dealer, had remained in excellent relations with Alfa Romeo and its economic situation improved markedly, so he return back to race and win with Alfa Romeo RL Mille Miglia and with 6C.

The victories achieved in the 1927/28 did earn 45,000 lire, equivalent to approximately 30,000 Euro.

He is not living miserably.

Finally, in 1929, was born the Scuderia.

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:17

The Old Man spent time in Switzerland in 1924, part of his time there involved with the Albert Schmidt agency of Alfa Romeo. This was 30 years before his son Dino's illness. He did not - apparently - drive in competition 1925-26 (following the apparent nervous breakdown he experienced at Lyons in '24) but photographs survive showing him at the Piazza d'Armi track in Modena, and at Monza during those years. In 1927 he drove at Alessandria in May and Modena in June, and in 1928 he featured at Alessandria in April, Modena in May and Mugello in June. I have never before seen any reference to him "living in Brazil".

However, improbabilities sometimes prove to have been realities, as so often we discover here! What I would point out is that it was not unknown for the salesman/creative writer within Mr Ferrari to tell improbable stories if he thought they might make prospective foreign customers - and sometimes journalists - feel a warm and cuddly affinity with him...

DCN

#12 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:57

Thank you Mr. Nye.

It's always a pleasure to read you.

#13 green-blood

green-blood

• 709 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:18

Wow, no idea if the story is true, but I lived in Campinas for a period... for an old job I spent a couple of months there (well there and a satellite town call Indiatuba) transfering a body of work to a "lower cost economy". Its now a small Brazilian city of oh about 2 million people... I cant for the life of me imagine what it would have been like in 1927, its a good 2 hours drive now by excellant interstate from Sao Paulo, in mostly farming region, beautiful scenary thugh, and during the 06 soccer world cup, full of life!!

So me and Mr F, trod the same turf... fab!! :D

#14 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 14:54

Originally posted by 550spyder
I believe that the history is plausible. In the late 20`s Italy should be not the best place to live and Ferrari was young.

A lot of italians came to Brasil hopping to a better life and opportunities after WWI. Maybe it was an episode that the biographers did not think as relevant, since the majority focused in the Alfa Romeo era in the thirties and after.

[OT]
Among these immigrants who came to Brazil after WWI was a French sailor called Louis (I think) Piquet. You may have heard about his grandson and great-grandson since...

#15 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 15:35

Ahh, I always wondered about that strange name! So, is it REALLY pronounced the French way?

#16 550spyder

550spyder

• 220 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 16:41

As far as I know, Piquet is a french name. I believe this surname belongs to Nelson´s mother side. Brazilians have surnames from father and mother.
Nelson complete name is Nelson Piquet de Souto Maior, Piquet from his mother and Souto Maior from his father.
Nelson father was Ministry of Health in Brasil. Nelson used in the beginings the name PiKet because Souto Maior was an well known name.

#17 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 18:04

It would appear that the logical response to the title of this thread is simply "Oh no he didn't"...

DCN

#18 550spyder

550spyder

• 220 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 20:20

I think a question mark is better, but I don´t know how to do that. From Mr. Ferrari I expect anything, even onipresence.

#19 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 20:53

I would concede a question-mark over a possible visit
But I think for the many reasons already expressed it is certain he never lived in Brazil

Advertisement

#20 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:24

Originally posted by Doug Nye
What I would point out is that it was not unknown for the salesman/creative writer within Mr Ferrari to tell improbable stories if he thought they might make prospective foreign customers - and sometimes journalists - feel a warm and cuddly affinity with him...

DCN

Spot on. Most books and magazines write about EF as if he was a mysterious man. I always found that much of his opinions, stories from or about him, and his actions are well understandable when one knows what he wanted to become when he was a young lad: an opera singer, a journo or a racing driver.

#21 550spyder

550spyder

• 220 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 15:33

Let´s do some justice to the Comendatore. Actually he never said that he lived in Brazil. He implied only. He tried to drive the interview by asking questions and talking and talking instead of answering.

I read the interview again without bias and the translation is:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ferrari: How is Interlagos track? And the Rio Autodrome? How is the track? When it be open? Do you think will be races for my cars there? How are the pilots?

Ferrari again: You know? This factory could be born and exists in your land, São Paulo.

Victor: What? Please, tel this history

Ferrari: I met a beatifull girl, daughter of a coffee farmer in Campinas. At that time I almost went to Campinas to open a garage there. The history will be different but the factory will be made here or there because I always wanted to be a car maker.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Doug is right, the Drake made some of his charms. He demonstrates that he knew Brasil very well and eased the mood of his interviewer.

I tried to change the tread title without success. Sent a message to the moderator. The new title shoul be: Enzo lived in Brazil? No, he didn´t :)

The page is bellow. The direct link is: http://rzullino.foto...0815114344.html

http://rzullino.foto...0815114344.html