Jump to content


Photo

The great Formula 1 photographs


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
2227 replies to this topic

#101 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout
  • Member

  • 9,681 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 14 August 2008 - 13:44

Posted Image

Lollipop guy is drunk? :)

Advertisement

#102 Hames Junt

Hames Junt
  • Member

  • 302 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 14 August 2008 - 13:46

Originally posted by Slowinfastout
Posted Image

Lollipop guy is drunk? :)


Let's just say the Ferrari pit crew were something of a running joke around that time.

#103 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker
  • Member

  • 14,010 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 14 August 2008 - 13:53

Originally posted by FrankB
Francois Cevert at Montjuich 1973. It has been discussed here in the past and dolomite posted a link to it 5 years ago but the link is broken now.

discussion here


This one is tiny but his rear wheels are clearly unweighted; is it this one?

http://montjuich.spe...t/pics/h13p.jpg

#104 philhitchings

philhitchings
  • Member

  • 18,187 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 14 August 2008 - 13:57

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker


The thing is, look at MS's body language. He's leaning in, clearly expressing interest in Alonso.
Hakka is looking is looking contemplative, as if he's in deep thought over what's being said.

Now, it might just be two guys in full on "How To Win Friends and Influence People" mode, but it's obviously not a "master-servant" scenario.


IMO not so much master servant, more an, "I'll listen to you and use it my self one day" type of thing

#105 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker
  • Member

  • 14,010 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 14 August 2008 - 14:01

Originally posted by pingu666
i liked the ones of lewis's tyre delmaination or whatever in turkey, just cos the shape/form of the flailing tread reminded me of the comic spawn. and spawn in awsomesource :)


http://img.thesun.co...wis_353454a.jpg

#106 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 14 August 2008 - 14:27

I know the Ferrari 643 wasn't the most successful car ever, but I still think it is by far the best looking.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#107 harrows

harrows
  • Member

  • 980 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 14 August 2008 - 14:54

Posted Image

Posted Image

#108 damon_hill_fan2007

damon_hill_fan2007
  • Member

  • 84 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 14 August 2008 - 16:30

can't find a large version, but this is one of my favs...

Posted Image

#109 FrankB

FrankB
  • Member

  • 2,597 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 14 August 2008 - 16:34

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker


This one is tiny but his rear wheels are clearly unweighted; is it this one?

http://montjuich.spe...t/pics/h13p.jpg


Thanks for that, but it's not the one that I was thinking of. The shot that I had in mind has the car almost in silhouette against a low sun (was practise early morning / late afternoon?), almost head on to the camera, with clearance between all four wheels and the track.

#110 lustigson

lustigson
  • Member

  • 4,722 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 14 August 2008 - 17:38

Originally posted by Hames Junt
Let's just say the Ferrari pit crew were something of a running joke around that time.

Although at some point during 1992 or 1993, they changed the 4 wheels on their cars faster than anybody else. Some 4 seconds, I believe.

#111 Keffo

Keffo
  • Member

  • 978 posts
  • Joined: October 04

Posted 14 August 2008 - 17:39

Originally posted by Kop Alonso
Could well be its a classic, especially with the blur....

:)


Posted Image

This one? :)

#112 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 14 August 2008 - 18:12

Originally posted by Keffo


Posted Image

This one? :)


That is one of the most amazing shots ever. Especially the colours.

#113 pingu666

pingu666
  • Member

  • 8,458 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 14 August 2008 - 18:49

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker


http://img.thesun.co...wis_353454a.jpg


:up:

#114 volvo Death Spell

volvo Death Spell
  • Member

  • 95 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 14 August 2008 - 19:34

Here's something pretty awesome:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#115 sprocket

sprocket
  • Member

  • 115 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 14 August 2008 - 19:36

Got Downforce?
Posted Image


I just love the different energy behind this faces. Powerful.
Posted Image

He looks so much like a ordinary guy being lucky to slip into the cockpit for a photo :lol:
Posted Image

#116 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker
  • Member

  • 14,010 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 14 August 2008 - 19:51

Originally posted by potmotr
I know the Ferrari 643 wasn't the most successful car ever, but I still think it is by far the best looking.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image


You must like Indy cars then.

IMO, decent looking, except the back: Ew. Three wings?

#117 Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes
  • Member

  • 375 posts
  • Joined: September 04

Posted 14 August 2008 - 20:16

That Villeneuve and Pironi picture on the previous page it pretty powerful. I presume it was taken at Zolder?

#118 CeCe

CeCe
  • Member

  • 7,821 posts
  • Joined: July 00

Posted 14 August 2008 - 21:13

I will always remember that "Flying Finn" photo of Mika. That is my personal favorite.

#119 philhitchings

philhitchings
  • Member

  • 18,187 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 14 August 2008 - 21:48

Originally posted by damon_hill_fan2007
can't find a large version, but this is one of my favs...

Posted Image


that image, from that race, from those guys, from that straight, is truly ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

Advertisement

#120 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 14 August 2008 - 22:25

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker


You must like Indy cars then.

IMO, decent looking, except the back: Ew. Three wings?


Ah, that's the low downforce version.

#121 Bernd

Bernd
  • Member

  • 3,307 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 14 August 2008 - 22:59

Thought I'd post some of my own shots.

A McLaren circa 1967. Wonder what Lewis would make of it :lol:

Posted Image

Repco V8

Posted Image

Dunno why I like this shot, but damnit I do.

Posted Image

#122 snx843

snx843
  • Member

  • 855 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 14 August 2008 - 23:50

Originally posted by Chewie



That’s my favourite ever shot :cool: I’ve always wanted a poster of it, seen a few low quality versions but never one good enough to frame :(


Phone Suttons, they do prints :)

#123 Vilenova

Vilenova
  • Member

  • 2,852 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:45

Great thread and some really amazing pics. That one of Senna and Mansell on the straight really brought back memories.


Are there any pics of Gilles NOT on opposite lock? :lol:

#124 carbonfibre

carbonfibre
  • Member

  • 6,275 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:52

Originally posted by Keffo


Posted Image

This one? :)

Great shot yes, used it for my avatar as well. :)

#125 carbonfibre

carbonfibre
  • Member

  • 6,275 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:59

Also loved this one from the gallery here. (michael schumacher victory's gallery)

http://gallery.autos...in1/image/l_2-3

Or thise one:

http://gallery.autos...n1/image/l_69-3

#126 Hames Junt

Hames Junt
  • Member

  • 302 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:58

Originally posted by sprocket
Got Downforce?
Posted Image


Is that Stewart or Sutil? :D

#127 The Lonely

The Lonely
  • Member

  • 134 posts
  • Joined: June 08

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:15

Or Steve Coogan ;)

#128 Koo

Koo
  • New Member

  • 12 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:28

Missing one picture, which I liked a lot.

Two blue F1's from the 70's driving max. 10 meters from each other turning on a long right turn and sliding in full control.

Tried to google those two cars (Tyrrell's?) and track was probably watkins glen.

It was almost a overhead shot. maybe from 45 degrees angle.

#129 Koo

Koo
  • New Member

  • 12 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:40

no need, this is it!

Picture 1

edit:

bonus picture:
picture 2

#130 gio66

gio66
  • Member

  • 1,431 posts
  • Joined: April 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:39

Posted Image

A few people knows the strange history of this famous photo.

There are several shots of this episode: 6 are black and white, others are in color and the frame is wider and allows to see Luciano Conti, the late publisher of Autosprint and true animator of Imola circuit, sitting to the right of Ferrari.

It was taken in a garage at Imola, in July 1980, in occasion of the tests for the approval of circuit that, from that moment, was no longer usable by normal city traffic.

It was quite easy going into the boxes, especially for the locals who knew where to go or knew someone among the employees of the circuit. I was 13, sitting in the stand with my cousin and envying people who, more or less abused, walked in the pit-lane. We also tried an attempt (I wanted to see Gilles closely), but we were rejected.

Enzo Ferrari arrived unannounced and the garage of the Scuderia, obviously crowded, was made clear by marshals. Among the gatecrasher who were expelled was Gianni Sanna, the current owner of Foto Olimpia agency who, at that time, was not yet accredited. Before leaving, he had the instinct to give his camera to my coetaneous Gianni Mezzetti who took advantage of confusion and hid inside an empty barrel used as a dustbin (he is still much more lean than I). The only photographers who were able to stay inside the box were Roberto Piccinini and his father, the owner of Attualfoto (now Actualfoto), because with regular press accreditation.

Ferrari sat down and began to chat with Gilles and Conti, the Piccininis start to make their shots in color while Mezzetti, half-hidden, made 6 black and white pictures, then jumped out of the barrel and ran to bring the camera to Sanna who still holds the copyright.

Gianni Mezzetti is my friend and a copy of one of its 6 photos (other than that I posted) stands in my living room.

#131 undersquare

undersquare
  • Member

  • 18,597 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:52

Originally posted by Bernd
Thought I'd post some of my own shots.

A McLaren circa 1967. Wonder what Lewis would make of it :lol:


Great photos, thanks. Lovely engineering. I was thinking "those were the days" till I noticed the fuel cap, and the tank (I assume) under the driver's knees...

#132 Tigershark

Tigershark
  • Member

  • 996 posts
  • Joined: August 03

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:53

Originally posted by carbonfibre
Also loved this one from the gallery here. (michael schumacher victory's gallery)

http://gallery.autos...n1/image/l_69-3


Great photo of a great moment. :up:

#133 Modern Lover

Modern Lover
  • Member

  • 727 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:19

Originally posted by gio66
Posted Image

A few people knows the strange history of this famous photo.

There are several shots of this episode: 6 are black and white, others are in color and the frame is wider and allows to see Luciano Conti, the late publisher of Autosprint and true animator of Imola circuit, sitting to the right of Ferrari.

It was taken in a garage at Imola, in July 1980, in occasion of the tests for the approval of circuit that, from that moment, was no longer usable by normal city traffic.

It was quite easy going into the boxes, especially for the locals who knew where to go or knew someone among the employees of the circuit. I was 13, sitting in the stand with my cousin and envying people who, more or less abused, walked in the pit-lane. We also tried an attempt (I wanted to see Gilles closely), but we were rejected.

Enzo Ferrari arrived unannounced and the garage of the Scuderia, obviously crowded, was made clear by marshals. Among the gatecrasher who were expelled was Gianni Sanna, the current owner of Foto Olimpia agency who, at that time, was not yet accredited. Before leaving, he had the instinct to give his camera to my coetaneous Gianni Mezzetti who took advantage of confusion and hid inside an empty barrel used as a dustbin (he is still much more lean than I). The only photographers who were able to stay inside the box were Roberto Piccinini and her father, the owner of Attualfoto (now Actualfoto), because with regular press accreditation.

Ferrari sat down and began to chat with Gilles and Conti, the Piccininis start to make their shots in color while Mezzetti, half-hidden, made 6 black and white pictures, then jumped out of the barrel and ran to bring the camera to Sanna who still holds the copyright.

Gianni Mezzetti is my friend and a copy of one of its 6 photos (other than that I posted) stands in my living room.


Loved that story. :kiss:

#134 philhitchings

philhitchings
  • Member

  • 18,187 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:31

Agreed :up: thanks very much for sharing the pic too

#135 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 15 August 2008 - 14:23

Here is that Hakkinen shot. Fantastic...

Posted Image


#136 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC
  • Member

  • 565 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 15 August 2008 - 14:30

Originally posted by potmotr

By potmotr


So you work for Sutton?

#137 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 15 August 2008 - 14:33

While we're at it, I really think Sutton took awesome shots of my favourite period, the early 90s, at my fav track, Spa.

I particularly love their treatment of these three:

Schumacher in quiet contemplation before his first start..
Posted Image


Boutsen flat out through Eau Rogue in the beautiful (but quite slow) Ligier...
Posted Image

The field on the first lap, flat on the climb towards Les Combes, with magnesium skid plates throwing up showers of sparks under the weight of a full fuel load. Magic shots...
Posted Image
Posted Image


#138 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 15 August 2008 - 14:34

Originally posted by DoubleWDC


So you work for Sutton?


Um, nope.

#139 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker
  • Member

  • 14,010 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 15:32

Originally posted by Koo
no need, this is it!

Picture 1


:love:

OK, so that's GOT to be power steer, right? I mean with those tyres I can't imagine it's TBO.

This is one of those pics (and there are many others in this thread) that makes me wonder why people are goo goo gaa gaa over drifting--just dial up some vintage F1 and enjoy.

I mean, these kids think that drifting is something invented in the 90s. Heck on this very thread it's revealed that Jim Clark used to intentionally set up photos of him in "a lurid pose."

Advertisement

#140 Always_Ferrari

Always_Ferrari
  • Member

  • 35 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 15 August 2008 - 16:12

Originally posted by Keffo


Posted Image

This one? :)


That is awesome!

Anybody know where I can get a hi-res image that I can use as a wallpaper??

#141 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 17:19

Posted Image

:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

#142 philhitchings

philhitchings
  • Member

  • 18,187 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 15 August 2008 - 18:09

Originally posted by kids like ash
Posted Image

:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:


I'll have to look up my own one of that particular incident (Spain 2001 yeah?) Mika had problems on the Friday too!

#143 pingu666

pingu666
  • Member

  • 8,458 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 18:58

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker


:love:

OK, so that's GOT to be power steer, right? I mean with those tyres I can't imagine it's TBO.

This is one of those pics (and there are many others in this thread) that makes me wonder why people are goo goo gaa gaa over drifting--just dial up some vintage F1 and enjoy.

I mean, these kids think that drifting is something invented in the 90s. Heck on this very thread it's revealed that Jim Clark used to intentionally set up photos of him in "a lurid pose."



well modern drifting is about going sideways, not faster, back then u went sideways cos it was fast :)

#144 Kop Alonso

Kop Alonso
  • Member

  • 274 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 19:30

Originally posted by Keffo


Posted Image

This one? :)


Thats the one Keffo, an absolute classic......thanks for showing that again

:clap:

#145 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker
  • Member

  • 14,010 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 15 August 2008 - 20:57

Originally posted by pingu666
well modern drifting is about going sideways, not faster, back then u went sideways cos it was fast :)


That's why I brought up Clark. He'd be comfortably in the lead and then start doing tricks. Not to go fast, but to look spectacular for the photos.

I suppose modern drifting is for live and videos, but back then that was the media of choice.

I can't believe I'm entertaining this argument.

#146 philhitchings

philhitchings
  • Member

  • 18,187 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 15 August 2008 - 21:43

neither can I ;) . next pic please :D

#147 amardeep

amardeep
  • Member

  • 368 posts
  • Joined: October 04

Posted 15 August 2008 - 23:58

Senna + Lotus + Honda + Monaco = :-)

Posted Image

#148 Georg_Kuyumji

Georg_Kuyumji
  • Member

  • 664 posts
  • Joined: September 04

Posted 16 August 2008 - 00:06

Graham Hill waits in his BRM for early morning practice to start at the 1965 Monaco GP

Posted Image



The run up the hill from Saint devote

Posted Image



The Lotus 33

Posted Image




The start of the 1965 Silverstone GP

Posted Image



Jackie Stewart at the Nurburgring Flugplatz (Flugplatz means airport in German)


Posted Image


Six wheels

Posted Image



Posted Image

#149 sterling49

sterling49
  • Member

  • 10,783 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:22

What a superb set of photos Georg, Bravo! Love NGH at Monaco, with the transporter behind, the Lotus 33 :love: I was at the Brands GP in the last photo. JYS at the 'Ring, JC and NGH at Silverstone and Ronnie in the 6 wheeler, just brilliant stuff :up: Not a dud in there mate!

#150 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 17 August 2008 - 13:04

A personal favourite of my favourite driver...
Posted Image