Photo

Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia

• Please log in to reply
1367 replies to this topic

#551 oldrevhead

oldrevhead

• 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:42

Hi Ian It has been in this configuration for at least two previous owners.so i recon whenever it was allowed under the rules, it was changed. It still has the engine seals from its last race. cheers kym

Advertisement

#552 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:25

No 75 is Peter Moore..

Sorry Greg had you gone to Sports car by the or were you up the front of the pack.

No 18 is a chap called Gilbert??

I was in the UK and it all new to me name an cars.

As I posted somewhere else. Peter still has the car. He came into the shed one day story something like "crashed it in 1979, got married, bought house had kids, NG still sitting in the back of the garage. 2nd owner, only raced for 3 years NG, would love to see it.

#553 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 619 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:28

Apropos of nothing, I ran into Bernie Haehnle today. Looking as fit as a fiddle - told me he'd recently had a hip replacement!

Bruce Moxon

#554 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:40

...would love to see it.

Me, as well.

Putting it together.
Posted Image

Winning at Amaroo
Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 04 May 2011 - 10:42.

#555 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:34

As I posted somewhere else. Peter still has the car. He came into the shed one day story something like "crashed it in 1979, got married, bought house had kids, NG still sitting in the back of the garage. 2nd owner, only raced for 3 years NG, would love to see it.

Thanks to DC I've manage to track Peter Moore down, yes he still owns the car and the in the process of stripping it down for restoration. Peter H, if you want to get in contact with Peter M I have the details, he mentioned you still have a Vee engine of his .... don't know how that will work out.

Regards,

Ian

Edited by chequer57, 06 May 2011 - 02:28.

#556 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 79 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 22:44

Me, as well.

Putting it together.
Posted Image

Winning at Amaroo
Posted Image

Now about that wheel alignment????? Seems you couldn't get too far away from that pesky Rennmax
x :lol:

#557 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:54

...Seems you couldn't get too far away from that pesky Rennmax
x :lol:

Far enough... two wins from two starts that day and fastest lap in both!

#558 Clark Watson

Clark Watson

• 123 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:06

Gday Guys,
Great topic and plenty of great pics getting around by the look of things. I was wondering if anyone knows of the whereabouts of Melbourne based John Watson's old Elfin Vees. He raced two blue elfins in the early eighties with some encouraging success and I would love to know if they're still about or if anyone has any photos of the car.

Cheers
Clark
www.vfr.net.au
Vintage Fibre Restorations

#559 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:53

Gday Guys,
Great topic and plenty of great pics getting around by the look of things. I was wondering if anyone knows of the whereabouts of Melbourne based John Watson's old Elfin Vees. He raced two blue elfins in the early eighties with some encouraging success and I would love to know if they're still about or if anyone has any photos of the car.

Cheers
Clark
www.vfr.net.au

I have records of a John Watson racing an Elfin in 1980 but he doesn't appear in the Elfin Register .... and driving a Spectre in 1981, that Spectre is now owned by Brenton Hill and is for sale on www.fvee.org.au at http://www.fvee.org....eds/1980spectre

Pic from 81 below

Posted Image

Advertisement

#560 Clark Watson

Clark Watson

• 123 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:20

Thanks Heaps chequer57,
That's made my day, I remember sitting in that car when I was 3 or 4, My uncle John was working on the engine at the time and he gave it a little rev for me. 30 years later that memory's still as clear as a bell and the experience of sitting in that old banger gripping the wheel and straining for the pedals as the motor roared behind me in my Grandparents driveway has had a detrimental effect on my time & wallet ever since. I would love to tuck that little car away in my garage but I think I'd be shot if I came home with another racecar, I'm on thin ice with a very understanding woman as it is.......Haahha!

Cheers
Clark Watson
www.vfr.net.au

Edited by Clark Watson, 09 May 2011 - 05:21.

#561 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:04

Thanks Heaps chequer57,
That's made my day, I remember sitting in that car when I was 3 or 4, My uncle John was working on the engine at the time and he gave it a little rev for me. 30 years later that memory's still as clear as a bell and the experience of sitting in that old banger gripping the wheel and straining for the pedals as the motor roared behind me in my Grandparents driveway has had a detrimental effect on my time & wallet ever since. I would love to tuck that little car away in my garage but I think I'd be shot if I came home with another racecar, I'm on thin ice with a very understanding woman as it is.......Haahha!

Cheers
Clark Watson
www.vfr.net.au

Sell something else and buy the Vee :)

#562 Clark Watson

Clark Watson

• 123 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:09

Sell something else and buy the Vee :)

Righto Decision made!!! :drunk:
I'll email you my wifes number so you can give her the good news! Ha Ha

#563 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:05

The Tripps in full 70's war paint

Yes DC I did post the photo ... got to give you the original back

Posted Image

#564 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 21:40

The Tripps in full 70's war paint

Yes DC I did post the photo ... got to give you the original back

Posted Image

It was one of the log book photos. When we got it off Steve Page it had a Rennmax Mk1 body fitted and we were asked by CAMS to supply updated photos for the log book. Looking through Scanpix facebook photos theres a photo of the car coming out of stop/go at Amaroo with the whole top body coming off the car. From that think I know how it got a Mk 1 body.

#565 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 23:21

Oran Park 19th September 1971

First Race...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Second Race...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 11 February 2012 - 22:50.

#566 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:03

For the record my guestimate of Formula Vee drivers and their cars is ......
No.1 Bernie Heahnle - Hahn Rennmax
No.2 Enno Buesselmann - Tripps
No.6 Damon Beck - Rennmax
No.9 Geoff Stone - Rennmax (Maybe ???)
No.14 Steve Weissner - Revell
No.17 Denis Riley - SRV
No.21 Laurie Campfield - Elfin

Edited by chequer57, 31 May 2011 - 03:19.

#567 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 419 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 23:09

Hi guys here is my 1986 Elfin NG-EP-12/13 at mallala this year with my son Daniel at the wheel.We dont take it out very often,just on open practice days for a few laps. cheers kym

http://img217.images...nielmallala.jpg

This was, (still is), a very nice and competitive 1200cc car. I remember the Rack And Pinion being put on the car in around 2004 or 2005. I spent a lot of time chasing this car around Mallala in those years.......

#568 silicanza

silicanza

• 59 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:35

A single photo of a V in my photo collection, taken at Pukekohe during the mid to late 60s. The caption in my photo album says the car is "A Godfrey's". Not sure that throws much light on the subject but it's a pretty nice looking V.

Posted Image

The car at Pukekohe is a McQueen Formula Vee.
Ken McQueen (Motors) of Hepburn Road, Ponsonby, Auckland, constructed a number of these in 1968 through 1970. Variously put at 11 or 13. The body is apparently taken off an Elfin FJ. Other than the open nose I know the the rest of the front body and cockpit is dimensionally the same as an ELFIN Vee.
Chassis was predominately 1/2 inch sguare tube, very light and tended to bend easy on contact. Surprisingly, given this and that so very few early Vees survived in New Zealand, most being cannibalised for the running gear and motors, I know of five McQueen Vee's that have survived; three complete cars and two as chassis and body. Of the 40-50 cars that were running in NZ by the 1970 only 12 vees have survived that we know of.

#569 DarrenC

DarrenC

• 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 22:02

I've recently bought a Mako Mk1 Vee that was in Sydney - said to be owned by Horst Zuhmeher in the Newcatle area of NSW, and ran with the number 36. If anyone has any information or old race details associated with the car, I'd be very appreciative to hear from you. I have no documents what so ever with the car - so a log book will be hard to put together for a CoD.

Also - I'm in need of a trailer to get me to and from events. If anyone has an open, single axle trailer for sale, please let me know - I'm in the Canberra region.

Cheers,

Darren

Edited by DarrenC, 16 June 2011 - 22:12.

#570 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 619 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:00

I've recently bought a Mako Mk1 Vee that was in Sydney - said to be owned by Horst Zuhmeher in the Newcatle area of NSW, and ran with the number 36. If anyone has any information or old race details associated with the car, I'd be very appreciative to hear from you. I have no documents what so ever with the car - so a log book will be hard to put together for a CoD.

Also - I'm in need of a trailer to get me to and from events. If anyone has an open, single axle trailer for sale, please let me know - I'm in the Canberra region.

Cheers,

Darren

I vaguely remember the car, Darren. Horst is still active around Newcastle as an official so he might be able to help you. Did the car come with a log book?

Bruce Moxon

#571 normv

normv

• 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:09

Darren
Is that the blue framed one that was for sale on the historic vee website?
If it is that one I looked at it a few weeks ago and whilst I m not a expert I suspect the frame is a Mako copy not a Mako , that may help you to identify it as it is different to the Mako’s I have seen.

Good luck and we look forward to you joining the Historic Vee ranks

Edited by normv, 17 June 2011 - 10:10.

#572 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:36

I vaguely remember the car, Darren. Horst is still active around Newcastle as an official so he might be able to help you. Did the car come with a log book?

Bruce Moxon

knew Horst quite well ,was from Maitland and passed away a few years back. Agree with normv about being a copy of it was the one on
the fvaa website.

Edited by Jacer, 17 June 2011 - 10:38.

#573 DarrenC

DarrenC

• 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:08

knew Horst quite well ,was from Maitland and passed away a few years back. Agree with normv about being a copy of it was the one on
the fvaa website.

Hi,

yes - it was the blue one (still blue - col merz said if it were his, he'd paint it black - I don't really care so much).

Yes, it had some extra bar work in it which was not original, and was for a skinny driver - I've removed much of the extra stuff with my anglegrinder on the weekend - I now fit into it, and it looks much more standard.

It went out to Frank's shop and he set up the gear linkages (on the left, of course). He confirmed it as an original, and told me there were 28 of them somewhere. So I guess I can use Frank's assessment somehow if I need to in order to get a CoD. I need some advice on how to go about getting one of these. I'm told I can get some sort of a temporary CoD that will allow me to run Historics. Do i actually need it for Historics?

Frank is also helping me out with finding a windcreen - apparently there is a guy in Sydney with a spare screen who won't part with it, even to let me make a template - all I want to do is put it on a couple of large sheets of carboard and trace around it to make a template so a local guy in Fyshwick who cuts pastics and who has helped me out before with my Malmark-Elfin widscreen (I hope you're still enjoying that car Chris - I should never had sold it!) can cut it for me out of polycarbonate.

The car is currently at my place undergoing some work - and then it will be off to Col Merz to have some of the things I can't do fixed up, before fitting the windscreen (hopefully) and painting the bodywork.

I may be right for the summer - if I can find a trailer.

Cheers,

Darren

Edited by DarrenC, 20 June 2011 - 03:15.

#574 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:58

Hi,

yes - it was the blue one (still blue - col merz said if it were his, he'd paint it black - I don't really care so much).

Yes, it had some extra bar work in it which was not original, and was for a skinny driver - I've removed much of the extra stuff with my anglegrinder on the weekend - I now fit into it, and it looks much more standard.

It went out to Frank's shop and he set up the gear linkages (on the left, of course). He confirmed it as an original, and told me there were 28 of them somewhere. So I guess I can use Frank's assessment somehow if I need to in order to get a CoD. I need some advice on how to go about getting one of these. I'm told I can get some sort of a temporary CoD that will allow me to run Historics. Do i actually need it for Historics?

Frank is also helping me out with finding a windcreen - apparently there is a guy in Sydney with a spare screen who won't part with it, even to let me make a template - all I want to do is put it on a couple of large sheets of carboard and trace around it to make a template so a local guy in Fyshwick who cuts pastics and who has helped me out before with my Malmark-Elfin widscreen (I hope you're still enjoying that car Chris - I should never had sold it!) can cut it for me out of polycarbonate.

The car is currently at my place undergoing some work - and then it will be off to Col Merz to have some of the things I can't do fixed up, before fitting the windscreen (hopefully) and painting the bodywork.

I may be right for the summer - if I can find a trailer.

Cheers,

Darren

ah explains the call from Frank this morning. Hr was looking to track down the windscreen mold. Doug Munro owned it before Horst in about 1981. before that i think it sat in a shed for 5 or 6 years.

#575 DarrenC

DarrenC

• 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:00

ah explains the call from Frank this morning. Hr was looking to track down the windscreen mold. Doug Munro owned it before Horst in about 1981. before that i think it sat in a shed for 5 or 6 years.

Is Doug Munro still around somewhere - and if so, how do i contact him to ask if he has any records relating to the car? Also - what colour was it originally?

I spoke with Frank this morning - he told me he'd tracked down a spare windscreen, but the owner didn't want to part with it. I told him that I'd pay for him to get a windscreen made for me (perhaps the owner might trust frank with it to get a template made) - once I have a windscreen, I'll make a big cardboard template and make a cardboard copy of it available to anyone who might want one (for free) - there should be up to 28 people who might want it one day. Frank was very helpful.

#576 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:53

Is Doug Munro still around somewhere - and if so, how do i contact him to ask if he has any records relating to the car? Also - what colour was it originally?

I spoke with Frank this morning - he told me he'd tracked down a spare windscreen, but the owner didn't want to part with it. I told him that I'd pay for him to get a windscreen made for me (perhaps the owner might trust frank with it to get a template made) - once I have a windscreen, I'll make a big cardboard template and make a cardboard copy of it available to anyone who might want one (for free) - there should be up to 28 people who might want it one day. Frank was very helpful.

last saw Doug at the 1990 nationals at Lakeside. Ian may have a contact of sorts as Doug owned the Tripps further up the page at the time and I believe Ian may know the current owner of the cars' details. That would give you an address for 1990 to start off.

#577 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:21

last saw Doug at the 1990 nationals at Lakeside. Ian may have a contact of sorts as Doug owned the Tripps further up the page at the time and I believe Ian may know the current owner of the cars' details. That would give you an address for 1990 to start off.

Hi I've spoken to Darren and I'm pretty sure it isn't Horst's car as the chassis was only recently sprayed blue, it was black.

Regards,

Ian

#578 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 15:07

Hi, just some sad news in Historic Vee Community last week with the passing of Mike Russell.

Mike converted the Concept GS82 he had owned since 1982 to Historic Spec. He recently and had a great time at Tasman and competing in FVAQ and HRCC meetings in his home state of Queensland. He will be sadly missed by those who know him.

#579 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:30

Some Vees on the main straight at Warwick Farm July 11th 1970

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 11 February 2012 - 22:53.

Advertisement

#580 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:53

Thanks for the great photos below some names and drivers to match the photos.
No.17 David McSweeny - Elfin
No.7 Gerard Murphy - Mako
No.3 Peter Finlay - Nota
No.11 Damon Beck - CMS

Edited by chequer57, 12 July 2011 - 13:02.

#581 racingtadpole

racingtadpole

• 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:51

Greetings Everyone,

Some pages ago (pages 2 and 4 i think) someone posted a link to this car, which noone seemed to know much about:

http://www.swapace.c...antom_Race_Car/

I dont know much about it either, as yet. What I can tell you is that it is currently sitting in my shed in Adelaide hemmed in by a mountain of building supplies, waiting for me to give it the attention it so rightly deserves.

The car is ex Fordham (M)/Fordham (P)/Wilkinson. The last scrutiny sticker on the rollbar is from 1992. The chap I bought it from claims to have raced it about four or five years ago, but I dont believe this to be true based on the yellow halon extinguisher in the tub being empty, the harness being dated 1984 and the most recent scrutiny mark on the car being from 1992.

I dont have its original log book, if anyone knows its whereabouts I'd love to re-unite it with the car.
The 1200 still runs and actually didnt sound too bad when it got started before I handed over the folding for it. The engine and gearbox are still sealed. Sadly though I dont have the sealing card either(if there was one issued for it).

So whats to happen to it? At this stage the plan is to give it a bit of TLC and fix a few sins of years past (not a full rebuild, just some fresh nails in the rear hubs and maybe a couple of new twisty ties to hold the nose cone in place more gooderer). Alas this cant happen until I have exhausted the pile of building materials hemming it in. Seriously though if you want a motivation to finish renovations faster, park an open wheeler in the shed before you fill the rest of the space with the materials for the reno. With a bit of luck it should be out at Colingrove next year sometime.

Edited by racingtadpole, 13 July 2011 - 12:00.

#582 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 23:01

Greetings Everyone,

Some pages ago (pages 2 and 4 i think) someone posted a link to this car, which noone seemed to know much about:

http://www.swapace.c...antom_Race_Car/

I dont know much about it either, as yet. What I can tell you is that it is currently sitting in my shed in Adelaide hemmed in by a mountain of building supplies, waiting for me to give it the attention it so rightly deserves.

The car is ex Fordham (M)/Fordham (P)/Wilkinson. The last scrutiny sticker on the rollbar is from 1992. The chap I bought it from claims to have raced it about four or five years ago, but I dont believe this to be true based on the yellow halon extinguisher in the tub being empty, the harness being dated 1984 and the most recent scrutiny mark on the car being from 1992.

I dont have its original log book, if anyone knows its whereabouts I'd love to re-unite it with the car.
The 1200 still runs and actually didnt sound too bad when it got started before I handed over the folding for it. The engine and gearbox are still sealed. Sadly though I dont have the sealing card either(if there was one issued for it).

So whats to happen to it? At this stage the plan is to give it a bit of TLC and fix a few sins of years past (not a full rebuild, just some fresh nails in the rear hubs and maybe a couple of new twisty ties to hold the nose cone in place more gooderer). Alas this cant happen until I have exhausted the pile of building materials hemming it in. Seriously though if you want a motivation to finish renovations faster, park an open wheeler in the shed before you fill the rest of the space with the materials for the reno. With a bit of luck it should be out at Colingrove next year sometime.

I may be able to assist you. Check you PMs.

Des

#583 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:44

Some photos pop up from driver of the past.

It appear the ex-Cusack Formcar has a run on the track in 1969 with someone by the name of Harry Cox.

Here is a photo of the car from 72 from Harry Cox

Posted Image
Posted Image

#584 reynolds65

reynolds65

• 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:19

Hope someone can help. I’ve just bought a Rennmax Mk 2. First raced by Peter Radtke in December 1975 at Amaroo Park, then late 70’s passed to Greg from Redback Motorsport and in ’82 to Glenn Moulds now to me. I want to return the car to original 1975 livery so need some photo’s. Glenn’s been very helpful I’ve got a couple from him, a couple from autopics and Glenn also put me on to a Brier Thomas photo that I’ve chased down. All photos are black and white. I’ve got some front on and a blurry rear shot not much of the middle. I’m told the car was black and silver, black shouldn’t be too hard but the right silver might be tricky to identify, maybe thats not such a big deal but it’d be great to get some better shots of the sign writing. Anybody got any clues where else I’d look for photo’s or seen any photos that might help.
Thanks
Michael

#585 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:05

Hope someone can help. I’ve just bought a Rennmax Mk 2. First raced by Peter Radtke in December 1975 at Amaroo Park, then late 70’s passed to Greg from Redback Motorsport and in ’82 to Glenn Moulds now to me. I want to return the car to original 1975 livery so need some photo’s. Glenn’s been very helpful I’ve got a couple from him, a couple from autopics and Glenn also put me on to a Brier Thomas photo that I’ve chased down. All photos are black and white. I’ve got some front on and a blurry rear shot not much of the middle. I’m told the car was black and silver, black shouldn’t be too hard but the right silver might be tricky to identify, maybe thats not such a big deal but it’d be great to get some better shots of the sign writing. Anybody got any clues where else I’d look for photo’s or seen any photos that might help.
Thanks
Michael

From the shots (proofs) it's not that spectacular... btw ask David Blanch of Autopics for copy of this proof.
from Oran Park 19 Sep 76.

Posted Image

Edited by chequer57, 23 July 2011 - 06:06.

#586 reynolds65

reynolds65

• 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:58

From the shots (proofs) it's not that spectacular... btw ask David Blanch of Autopics for copy of this proof.
from Oran Park 19 Sep 76.

Posted Image

Thats the right angle thanks i'll chase it up with David.

#587 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:10

I have a vague recollection that some of the signage may have been chrome lettering. I haven't seen Peter Radtke since the 40th anniversary at Oran Park but he shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Photo by Bill Meyer

Fairly sure I have the ATN7 video of this race.

Edited by Wirra, 23 July 2011 - 08:47.

#588 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:59

I have a vague recollection that some of the signage may have been chrome lettering. I haven't seen Peter Radtke since the 40th anniversary at Oran Park but he shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Photo by Bill Meyer

Fairly sure I have the ATN7 video of this race.

Michael will be happy with that great photo, btw is that a chrome H Beam to match the chrome rims ?

Edited by chequer57, 23 July 2011 - 09:15.

#589 reynolds65

reynolds65

• 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:27

Michael will be happy with that great photo, btw is that a chrome H Beam to match the chrome rims ?

Great photo, thanks. I thought the H Beam looked chrome in one of the other shots I've got, hard to tell in Black & White. I also had a thought about whether some of the lettering might be chrome. I'd love to get in contact with Peter Radke.
Is there somewhere I can buy the Channel 7 tapes?

#590 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:29

Great photo, thanks. I thought the H Beam looked chrome in one of the other shots I've got, hard to tell in Black & White. I also had a thought about whether some of the lettering might be chrome. I'd love to get in contact with Peter Radke.
Is there somewhere I can buy the Channel 7 tapes?

Channel 7 tapes will be only if you can find someone taped the races back then. I was told 7 used amaroo and a lot of the bathurst tapes were used as landfill for the tennis court built a few years back. Peter Radtke lives somewhere in Qld. I'll try to get you a contact through John Fab as i know he still talks with him occasionally.

#591 DarrenC

DarrenC

• 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:12

I thought I'd post an update.

I have some wheels (4" skinny and 5.5" wheels), tyres, a windscreen, and the engine is being rebuilt for me to Historic Specs. I have a manifold, (actually, two - a current spec control manifold, and a historic Vee manifold), a 009 distributer, a new coil, some nice chrome rocker covers and some chrome tin wear. I also have a Chris Lewis 28PCI carb. I'm off to see Frank K later this week to ask him to make me a fat guy fibreglass seat (I looked at the bead/foam options - too messy), and Frank is getting me some shock absorbers as well (IKONs). I have a bigger clutch master cyl (the one on the car was way too small / hard to push) which I'll put on the car this week.

Once the engine is balanced and built (and sealed) , the shocks are on, the windscreen fitted, the new seat in, the new belts all adjusted, my race suit let out (5 years of shrinkage has not been very amusing), the new EMPI wheels put on, a wheel alignment done, the body painted and the windscreen attached, as well as the body clips attached, we should be ready to give it a run at Wakefield Park.

I still have no idea who owned this car - I have no idea how to get to the bottom of who owned it – apparently, it may not have been Horst's car.

It may be destined for Second Gear, super-sprints and hill-climbs if I can't get a log book/history for the car - which will be a real shame.

If I set it up as a current spec formula Vee (with control manifold and 5&1/2 inch tyres), and apply for a Cams log book - could I then replace the manifold with an old historic spec menifold, replace the crank pulley with a steel pulley, put on skinny wheels, and run it in the historics?

Also - what on earth are safety beads on the skinny wheels, and who in the Canberra area can put them on the wheels for me?

Cheers,

Darren

Edited by DarrenC, 25 July 2011 - 06:15.

#592 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:46

Are the Ikons being set up for automotive use?

They'll need different foot valves, I think you'll find, as the needs of motorcycles versus cars differ.

#593 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:53

I thought I'd post an update.

I have some wheels (4" skinny and 5.5" wheels), tyres, a windscreen, and the engine is being rebuilt for me to Historic Specs. I have a manifold, (actually, two - a current spec control manifold, and a historic Vee manifold), a 009 distributer, a new coil, some nice chrome rocker covers and some chrome tin wear. I also have a Chris Lewis 28PCI carb. I'm off to see Frank K later this week to ask him to make me a fat guy fibreglass seat (I looked at the bead/foam options - too messy), and Frank is getting me some shock absorbers as well (IKONs). I have a bigger clutch master cyl (the one on the car was way too small / hard to push) which I'll put on the car this week.

Once the engine is balanced and built (and sealed) , the shocks are on, the windscreen fitted, the new seat in, the new belts all adjusted, my race suit let out (5 years of shrinkage has not been very amusing), the new EMPI wheels put on, a wheel alignment done, the body painted and the windscreen attached, as well as the body clips attached, we should be ready to give it a run at Wakefield Park.

I still have no idea who owned this car - I have no idea how to get to the bottom of who owned it – apparently, it may not have been Horst's car.

It may be destined for Second Gear, super-sprints and hill-climbs if I can't get a log book/history for the car - which will be a real shame.

If I set it up as a current spec formula Vee (with control manifold and 5&1/2 inch tyres), and apply for a Cams log book - could I then replace the manifold with an old historic spec menifold, replace the crank pulley with a steel pulley, put on skinny wheels, and run it in the historics?

Also - what on earth are safety beads on the skinny wheels, and who in the Canberra area can put them on the wheels for me?

Cheers,

Darren

Gee Darren, don't know where to start!
the safety bead is a little ridge thats inside the wheel that is suppose to stop the tyre moving and deflating. the std 4" vw rims never had them. I doubt anyone could put one in for you other than taking the wheel centre out and fitting a later outer section with the bead already in it. AFAIK you cant run 4" std wheels in historics because of the the lack of safety bead (a current day liability issue I believe). you definately can't run 5 1/2" rims. Empi wheels (the 8 spokes I'm guessing) won't be allowed in historics. A bigger master cylinder will make the pedal harder to push because your displacing more fluid per mm of movement.
Also I'm not too sure if you can log book a 1200 vee now for a normal log book. If you can you will need a rail at least 500mm high at the firewall, disc brakes and either alloy panels on the chassis or kevlar laminated into the body. you might have to do some more columbo work and try to work out where it's come from. the previous owner must have got it from someone.
On another note whilst cleaning out the 3 containers out front of the shed I found 3 ported heads. I've no idea who did them and they are not complete, just bare 373/ 'd' heads. I will shortly be putting them up for sale on the National and HFVAA sites.

#594 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:04

They'll need different foot valves, I think you'll find, as the needs of motorcycles versus cars differ.

Ray the Ikon or the Koni from which the were born have been used since the early 80's in vees mainly on the front. While not ideal we get away with them. There weren't too many options soft enough in the dampening and cheap enough off the shelf form in those days. Today Geoff from proven is pretty open to giving us what we want / need on request.

#595 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:59

Yeah, I can imagine Geoff would be good with that stuff...

You'd get the alloy cases, I guess. Does he automatically make them up with some resistance in the bump?

#596 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:49

Few random Tassy Vee pics from the ORP library.

Posted Image
Possibly the first meeting for the Forsythe brothers Gremlin Vee (maybe Ted driving) Syms 1967

Posted Image
This is "Homicide" star Leonard Teale trying on a brand new Trowbridge Vee which was a raffle prize. From memory (foggy)
it was won by Terry Bowe (John's brother) Don't think he ever raced it though (sold it on). Syms 1972. Teale was racing his Corolla at this meeting.

Posted Image
John Bowe in his first year of racing in the ex Lyn Archer Elfin Vee. Symmons 1972. Immaculate, as were all Bowe family race cars.

Posted Image
Derek Fry AIR 1977

#597 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:05

Gee Darren, don't know where to start!
the safety bead is a little ridge thats inside the wheel that is suppose to stop the tyre moving and deflating. the std 4" vw rims never had them. I doubt anyone could put one in for you other than taking the wheel centre out and fitting a later outer section with the bead already in it. AFAIK you cant run 4" std wheels in historics because of the the lack of safety bead (a current day liability issue I believe). you definately can't run 5 1/2" rims. Empi wheels (the 8 spokes I'm guessing) won't be allowed in historics. A bigger master cylinder will make the pedal harder to push because your displacing more fluid per mm of movement.
Also I'm not too sure if you can log book a 1200 vee now for a normal log book. If you can you will need a rail at least 500mm high at the firewall, disc brakes and either alloy panels on the chassis or kevlar laminated into the body. you might have to do some more columbo work and try to work out where it's come from. the previous owner must have got it from someone.
On another note whilst cleaning out the 3 containers out front of the shed I found 3 ported heads. I've no idea who did them and they are not complete, just bare 373/ 'd' heads. I will shortly be putting them up for sale on the National and HFVAA sites.

Any wheel repair business should be able to take the centres out of the wheels and replace the rims with a modern "safety" rim. It really isn't a big deal.

#598 Jacer

Jacer

• 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 22:16

Yeah, I can imagine Geoff would be good with that stuff...

You'd get the alloy cases, I guess. Does he automatically make them up with some resistance in the bump?

off the shelve chrome steel bodied 7610 series. oil and open and closed lengths are about the only changes. Seldo agreed. thought Darren was after someone who could add something to what he had.
DC

#599 DarrenC

DarrenC

• 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 00:51

The shocks are being set up to Frank K's special specifications. I ordered them via Frank, so I trust they'll be OK.

Advertisement

#600 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 79 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:10

Hi all, just like to let eveyone know that I am selling my enclosed trailer, suits a Vee or smaller open wheeler. Is suited to the period and is registered. $1500 ono There is a photo on Historic Vee Facebook page as I have yet to work out how to put on the forum!!

Edited by Greg McCombie, 26 August 2011 - 11:11.