Photo

Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia

• Please log in to reply
1308 replies to this topic

#651 rugolo

rugolo

• 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:43

And the result was the correct one it seems.......

Absolutely, results speak for themselves.

Advertisement

#652 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 415 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:00

even my old Mk1 Nimbus was more sturdy than that CMS......

#653 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 415 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:02

Ian......Speaking of a Nimbus. Where did Graham Best's old Nimbus end up?

#654 rugolo

rugolo

• 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 13:11

even my old Mk1 Nimbus was more sturdy than that CMS......

Oh, the Nimbus in the right hands was super competitive, in my era Paul Milner was very quick and of course Doug Angus.

#655 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 21:16

It's up here in NSW as part of the Vesty stable of historics. Norm gets on here occasionally.

#656 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 23:03

The time has come.

I wish to dispose of my Vee memorabilia. It is mainly result sheets (practice & races) from NSW '73 - '78. It's hard to say but there are about 30+ with plenty of gaps, as well as a few programs and Vee Newsletters.

Any interest? PM me.

Thinks to self - I must get those VHS copies of Amaroo races transfer to a DVD.

Edited by Wirra, 07 November 2011 - 23:06.

#657 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:37

The time has come.

I wish to dispose of my Vee memorabilia. It is mainly result sheets (practice & races) from NSW '73 - '78. It's hard to say but there are about 30+ with plenty of gaps, as well as a few programs and Vee Newsletters.

Any interest? PM me.

Thinks to self - I must get those VHS copies of Amaroo races transfer to a DVD.

I reckon Glenn Moulds or some one like that would be a good home for them, as long as have a scanned copies it will allow me (and my sucessors) to do our work.

Regards,

Ian

btw: That twin rail CMS is for sale if anyone is interested (and brave);)

#658 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:39

Oh, the Nimbus in the right hands was super competitive, in my era Paul Milner was very quick and of course Doug Angus.

Mk I Nimbus was a reinforced CMS chassis Reg Gardner has one.
Mk II Nimbus was more of a Elfin Mk I (Type 500) clone with a few differences.

Same body which really confuses everyone.

Edited by chequer57, 08 November 2011 - 07:40.

#659 rugolo

rugolo

• 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:15

Mk I Nimbus was a reinforced CMS chassis Reg Gardner has one.
Mk II Nimbus was more of a Elfin Mk I (Type 500) clone with a few differences.

Same body which really confuses everyone.

Dare say Paul Milner and Doug Angus were in Mk 11's, thinking about it, Doug passed me on Sandown straight and I couldn't believe how quick it was, weeks later he did the same at Phillip Island, he was seriously quick.

Advertisement

#660 normv

normv

• 14 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:28

It should be back on the track next year, the chassis has been refurbished, and it is just awaiting a new engine as Grahams did not come with it. the body is still as Graham had it and will probably stay like that.

#661 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 415 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:32

I spent a lot of time chasing that car around Mallala while Besty was making it 9ft wide. I learnt to be sneaky from him.........

#662 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:54

Oran Park 26th March 1972
Posted Image

#663 rugolo

rugolo

• 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:22

Posted Image

Just trying to add a photo for the first time.

Great to see old familiar faces Leo and Damien looking fit and well, I must congratulate Des Piggott on a sensational resto, the best that car ever looked.

#664 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:07

Great to see old familiar faces Leo and Damien looking fit and well, I must congratulate Des Piggott on a sensational resto, the best that car ever looked.

The same comment was made by Damian, Leo and Mal, the car never looked that good! When you consider these guys were running on young budgets and competing every second weekend it's not suprising. The last change to the car was the mandatory replacement of the 4" wheel, I chose the chrome option which I'm sure all the previous owners would have done, budgets permitting. I had heard from Bob Prenderghast at the GP that Damian was unwell but haven't had a reply to my emails so far.

Regards, Des

#665 rugolo

rugolo

• 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 13:38

The same comment was made by Damian, Leo and Mal, the car never looked that good! When you consider these guys were running on young budgets and competing every second weekend it's not suprising. The last change to the car was the mandatory replacement of the 4" wheel, I chose the chrome option which I'm sure all the previous owners would have done, budgets permitting. I had heard from Bob Prenderghast at the GP that Damian was unwell but haven't had a reply to my emails so far.

Regards, Des

When you consider Leo was a uni student and Susie would help where ever possible it was remarkable, actually my brother organized sponsorship through a company called "Speedprint" for Leo in that car, although we were competitors we would always help each other. The most unusual sponsorship deal struck was "Belinda's Terrace" a rub and tug organization sponsored a series at Phillip Island (none of us were game to win it). Bob Prendergast another familiar name from the past and very good considering the weight disadvantage he conceded, I recall Bob had a HUGE accident at Sandown, in those days it was a dangerous place. Sorry to hear Damian is unwell, he once recorded an 8mm video at practice at Calder, my brother still has a copy, anyway love what you have done with the car and rekindles many fond memories of friends.

#666 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,749 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 20:59

Bob Prendergast........that name brings back a VIVID memory of a very wet meeting at Hume Weir [late '60s?].

Traveling close behind Bob [I drove an Elfin 500], in the pouring rain, I saw him sliding off the track, last corner before the finish line. Even though we weren't going all that fast, I lifted off, and saw Bob regain control [in the grass], drive BEHIND the 'control tower', and BACK ONTO the track! Never seen anything like it. :clap:

Edit; Just checked the date.......it was 14th June, 1970.

Edited by GMACKIE, 11 November 2011 - 21:23.

#667 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 23:14

Oran Park 26th March 1972
Posted Image

With all those Makos a tabloid sub-editor would likely caption this image with 'A frenzied shark attack'.

#668 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:31

Canberra today...two Vee's one naked!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#669 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 415 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:53

Interesting bar work on the rear of the naked vee

#670 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:33

Interesting bar work on the rear of the naked vee

All the bar work looked substantial as well...they made quite a spectre :cat:

#671 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 13:52

All the bar work looked substantial as well...they made quite a spectre :cat:

The naked car is Geoff Bassingthwaite's Avanti..... log booked and first raced in 88 by Jon Gaspero ;( but I suspect the chassis was built in 85 or 86.

Edited by chequer57, 13 November 2011 - 13:59.

#672 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 415 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:01

the back looks quite different to my Avanti.......

#673 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:08

the back looks quite different to my Avanti.......

Hi John,

The naked one in the pic is a bit different past to roll hoop to a few others I've seen. As a matter of interest your Avanti was one of the Russell Green/ David Condon built chassis not a John Wright built chassis (all of John's have twin roll bar bracing as original). I also assume your car was modified to make compliant to 1600cc regs at some stage.

Regards,

Ian

#674 rugolo

rugolo

• 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:59

Hi John,

The naked one in the pic is a bit different past to roll hoop to a few others I've seen. As a matter of interest your Avanti was one of the Russell Green/ David Condon built chassis not a John Wright built chassis (all of John's have twin roll bar bracing as original). I also assume your car was modified to make compliant to 1600cc regs at some stage.

Regards,

Ian

Interesting tyre wear both front and rear.....jus sayin.

#675 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 415 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:27

modified with extra bars on the sides of the cockpit. and the kevlar inserts on the bodywork as well......... all that is missing is an engine......

#676 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:30

Catalina Park 24th January 1970
Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 11 February 2012 - 22:41.

#677 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:56

12 B. & S. Cranes Smash Repairs P/L/F. Kleinig .. B & S Mako 1192 Brn./Gld
38 Jeff Noblett/T. Quartly ............................... Quartly Vee 1192

#678 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 22:57

Climbing towards Craven A?

Or is it coming out of Bosch and heading for the Tunnel?

Remarkably similar looking cars for two entered as being different makos... er... makes...

#679 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,244 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:15

I would go for this one RAY. :wave:

Advertisement

#680 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:06

Climbing towards Craven A?

Remarkably similar looking cars for two entered as being different makos... er... makes...

Posted Image
Neither...it's coming over the crest after the pits (about where the third car is in the background).

#681 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:09

Posted Image
Neither...it's coming over the crest after the pits (about where the third car is in the background).

Pilot Curve. (Pilot Pens)

42 B. Cashin.............. Mako Vee 1192 Blk/Yel. (I can't make out the other numbers)

Edited by Catalina Park, 05 January 2012 - 07:12.

#682 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,749 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:04

Posted Image

The first car is the Nota of Barry Hickson, the second is the Mako of Bernie Cashin, and the third [I'm almost certain] is the Elfin of Greg Mackie. :wave: The black 'nose' is what gives it away.

Not only that, but I also spotted my tow car [VW Beetle] and trailer in the pits.

#683 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:33

The first car is the Nota of Barry Hickson, the second is the Mako of Bernie Cashin, and the third [I'm almost certain] is the Elfin of Greg Mackie. :wave: The black 'nose' is what gives it away.

Not only that, but I also spotted my tow car [VW Beetle] and trailer in the pits.

Well done, Sherlock!!

#684 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,244 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:56

Lyntonh.
It amazing when the lens is pulled back,where i was thinking is the track in the back ground. :blush:

#685 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:41

Lyntonh.
It amazing when the lens is pulled back,where i was thinking is the track in the back ground. :blush:

I reckon Catalina is the hardest of all to pick the corners.

Being in a bowl-shaped valley, there's rising ground on the outside of most of the left handers
& you have to work out fencing etc to be sure of where you are!

I've almost fallen for Ray Bell's challenge on another place to ask him about "Savva's Hairpin".

All I know is that my shot he's referring to was probably taken at Castrol Curve.
Posted Image

#686 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:04

Another one at Catalina....goggles up...looking to the right...just leaving the pits?
Posted Image

#687 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,749 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 20:02

Another one at Catalina....goggles up...looking to the right...just leaving the pits?
Posted Image

Lynton, you've snapped me again. :clap: [Elfin, #30]. That's Keith Angel, Mako #20......with his goggles protecting the front of his helmet.

Had my first win in the Vee that weekend.

#688 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 21:12

Originally posted by Catalina Park
Pilot Curve. (Pilot Pens)

Originally Carrington Curve (for the Carrington Hotel, up past your place)...

And isn't Bernie Cashin another member of this forum?

#689 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 21:15

Lynton, you've snapped me again. :clap: [Elfin, #30]. That's Keith Angel, Mako #20......with his goggles protecting the front of his helmet.

Had my first win in the Vee that weekend.

I thought I had.

Keith Angel ran a Formula Libre of some sort later on.

After I'd moved to Adelaide in late '73, he came to AIR for a meeting in early '74.

He did the wall of death around the eastern end wall of the bowl, & I'm not sure he ever raced after that.

#690 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 22:02

Anyone know of any Formula Vee projects that aren't in the mainstream? or potential Formula Vee
restorations. For inspiration the following.

This is the Mako that we found recently.
Posted Image

The above Mako is up for grabs again. Steve Muller from Kombi rescue (located at Amaroo where Bullant Motors were) bought the car recently for a project. He's not going ahead with the project so the car is up for sale. Anyone need a project?
DC

#691 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:14

[The above Mako is up for grabs again. Steve Muller from Kombi rescue (located at Amaroo where Bullant Motors were) bought the car recently for a project. He's not going ahead with the project so the car is up for sale. Anyone need a project?
DC

Posted Image

DC you should add it's the ex John Willoughby Mako from 73 and John has confirmed it is his old car and we have path of ownership of the car, any ideas of what Steve is asking for it ?

Edited by chequer57, 13 January 2012 - 01:54.

#692 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:26

Posted Image

DC you should add it's the ex John Willoughby Mako from 73 and John has confirmed it is his old car and we have path of ownership of the car, any ideas of what Steve is asking for it ?

Only $1200 I believe. Earlier in this thread a picture of the entry list at the last Warwick Farm meeting and the car was listed in that.

#693 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:34

Only $1200 I believe. Earlier in this thread a picture of the entry list at the last Warwick Farm meeting and the car was listed in that.

Just checked back Ian, you were on it already!

#694 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:37

Just checked back Ian, you were on it already!

DC, I had the history of car sorted about 6 months ago, that race program posting broke it for me. It took me a little while to find John Willoughby. The photo above is of Henry Roberts partial rebuilt. We've just been waiting for some one who wanted to take the car back to track, shame Steve Muller decided to take a belly tank to salt pans as his next project, I'm sure he would have done a good job on the Mako.

#695 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:26

DC, I had the history of car sorted about 6 months ago, that race program posting broke it for me. It took me a little while to find John Willoughby. The photo above is of Henry Roberts partial rebuilt. We've just been waiting for some one who wanted to take the car back to track, shame Steve Muller decided to take a belly tank to salt pans as his next project, I'm sure he would have done a good job on the Mako.

looks a bit better minus the chicken poo

#696 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:30

Unless Steve had turned the Vee into a salt-lake racer, that is.

Oh, how I wish I could buy this car. Dang this stupid lack of money.

Bruce Moxon

#697 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:13

Unless Steve had turned the Vee into a salt-lake racer, that is.

Oh, how I wish I could buy this car. Dang this stupid lack of money.

Bruce Moxon

Originally I think it was the idea but spoke to him Thurs arvo and he wants to move it. 1200 bucks, easy. Even you'd fit in a Mako big fella!

#698 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:19

Originally I think it was the idea but spoke to him Thurs arvo and he wants to move it. 1200 bucks, easy. Even you'd fit in a Mako big fella!

Frank has seen the car recently and said it was one he built himself. He said that there were 28 made but he only built 6 himself. Another aside is that he has located Mako number 1 which was the car Bob Muir drove. It been living in the ACT since the mid eighties in a million bits.

#699 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:16

Yeah, well. $1200 is a lot of money right now. Sigh.

BM

Advertisement

#700 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 71 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 23:15

Posted Image

Hey DC, I notice it has top chassis rails, could this be my old Mako that went to Crampy etc?