Photo

Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia

• Please log in to reply
1305 replies to this topic

#701 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 00:19

Hey DC, I notice it has top chassis rails, could this be my old Mako that went to Crampy etc?

Know what you mean Greg but no. I believe the colour in the photo is what it ran at it's last meeting at Warwick Farm so It's pretty much still in 1973 guise. Must quiz Deano again about yours and crampy's car. As I said it came through our hands off Steve McLaine when he stripped it for bits for the 88 Concept. I had it sandblasted and it sat in the shed for 3 or so years. When Jason started at 15 Dean Perkins of Raceshots was a school mate and helped at the track. As a thanks he gave him the remaining bits which were chassis, body, pedals, gearshift and maybe the rear suspension. He then stored them in his shed for 3 or so years before his dad told him to get rid of it. That was about 1996. It headed somewhere to the lower blue moutains and has never been seen since.

Advertisement

#702 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,755 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 00:19

Frank has seen the car recently and said it was one he built himself. He said that there were 28 made but he only built 6 himself. Another aside is that he has located Mako number 1 which was the car Bob Muir drove. It been living in the ACT since the mid eighties in a million bits.

A thousand bits maybe. And that would be stretching it for a simple car like and old Vee!

#703 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:39

I must admit I don't remember Bob Muir driving a Mako...

After the Rennmax I thought he went straight to the Lotus 23.

#704 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:05

Hasn't everyone driven a Mako at some time???? :drunk:

#705 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,735 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:41

Not me, Greg, not me!

How've you been, anyway? :wave:

#706 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:11

A thousand bits maybe. And that would be stretching it for a simple car like and old Vee!

people have told me a million times that I shouldn't exaggerate

#707 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:16

Just spoke to Frank. After the Rennmax he drove 'old whitey' as Frank called it before moving on from Vees.

#708 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:34

Is that "drive" or "ride" a Mako .........

No it's not a comment about handling.......

#709 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:11

Seriously, is there any real difference between a Mako and a GasVee?

They seemed so similar under the skin...

#710 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,223 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:12

Hi Greg i have never driven a Mako, only the Grant Vee ( Grip Mobile) as you used to call it and a Mk1 Rennmax.

#711 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 21:37

Seriously, is there any real difference between a Mako and a GasVee?

They seemed so similar under the skin...

Yes and no. There both ladder type frames the Gas being a much narrower version. The first Gas was actually a Lynx formula vee from the states brought in by Jim/ Cliff at Group Automotive Services and re named. Most of the vees in the states still favour the huge bottom rail with just the bare essentials going upwards to hang bits off. The Lynx/GAS wasn't really weren't a 'large' bloke type of car being narrow which is the opposite of the Mako which had plenty of room to spread out so to speak.

#712 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,755 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 23:18

:lol:

people have told me a million times that I shouldn't exaggerate

#713 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 20:47

Not me, Greg, not me!

How've you been, anyway? :wave:

G'Day Greg, All is good in the world at present.... Just working away on the B&B.

Your right Dave, the Gas needed a jockey sized driver, even at my lightest I could not fit, Jim Evans, Steve Cramp, Dennis Riley were all small enough! No way you would fit either too tall! :D
I enjoyed my Mako, it was a challenge sometimes but what car isn't?????

Can somebody please tell me how to load an image here? I haven't been able to work it out, do I have to load it to a website first, when I try there is a box that comes up asking for a url?????? ):

Edited by Greg McCombie, 18 January 2012 - 22:39.

#714 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 22:00

If you upload it to Imageshack, then Imageshack gives you the complete URL and image codes line to post it...

Look for 'Link for forums (1)'.

You missed Verona, she was a bit on the small side.

#715 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 22:43

If you upload it to Imageshack, then Imageshack gives you the complete URL and image codes line to post it...

Look for 'Link for forums (1)'.

You missed Verona, she was a bit on the small side.

Thanks Ray....

Did too, both Verona & Dennis were in Allgetts, Geoff McGrath copied the Gas/Lynx

#716 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 22:52

Posted Image

#717 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 798 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 23:11

Posted Image

Welcome to the photo uploading club, Greg!!

#718 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:51

Your right Dave, the Gas needed a jockey sized driver, even at my lightest I could not fit, Jim Evans, Steve Cramp, Dennis Riley were all small enough! No way you would fit either too tall! :D

there were different size ones. The last 'lowline' GAS that Crampy drove was ridiculously small. Willo bought it back off Ray Johnstone when he took the bits to put into his new spectre and yes I couldn't even sit in it let alone drive it. Think I remember willo telling me that the one that ended up in the drink at Amaroo had a wider firewall giving it more room. It's another in the John Holmes collection.
DC

#719 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:57

Posted Image

Greg I always been interested to know why Kim Ferrier owned so many Makos, any ideas? She was an owner of this and I think her name appears on another Mako log book i think belonging To Damien Spinks. Was she with Mark still or with Mr Radtke by then. Figure there must have been some form of scam going on but it was 1970's Formula Vee and by what storys I have been told anything seemed to go then.

Advertisement

#720 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:08

Anything except direct top gears...

At least among the leaders.

#721 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 20:38

Greg I always been interested to know why Kim Ferrier owned so many Makos, any ideas? She was an owner of this and I think her name appears on another Mako log book i think belonging To Damien Spinks. Was she with Mark still or with Mr Radtke by then. Figure there must have been some form of scam going on but it was 1970's Formula Vee and by what storys I have been told anything seemed to go then.

Dave, this shot was end of 75, I think Kim was still with Mark untill then, & I think it was 1976 when she hooked up with Rattles. I have no idea why she would be an owner. What stories are you referring to? We were all innocents!

Very tongue in cheek Ray, I only heard of some using 1:1 top gears, never came across one myself :confused: ,

#722 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 20:54

Dave, this shot was end of 75, I think Kim was still with Mark untill then, & I think it was 1976 when she hooked up with Rattles. I have no idea why she would be an owner. What stories are you referring to? We were all innocents!

Very tongue in cheek Ray, I only heard of some using 1:1 top gears, never came across one myself :confused: ,

One thing I learned during my Group Automotive Services days was that when they imported the Lynx they also brought in 3 sets of heads, 3 carbs and 3 manifolds. Keeping in mind that chemical milling of manifolds had been going since around 1967 in the USA but not REALLY legal out here till 1992 might explain some of the GAS's speed in those days. I'd also been told the story of Paul McDonald as tech director confiscating one of the manifolds for inspection. It was supposedly returned cut in half with the all clear, no problems found as the result.! And the 1:1 top. I was searching the s/hand parts shelf at Group looking for a second hand top gear for a box when I came across something that I thought was 2 crankshaft gears tied together. Wondering what they'd be doing in amoungst the gearbox gears I picked it up to move it only realising then that it was a driver and driven gearset. I turn around to Larry who'd been there since the start of Group to see a big smile on his face saying that I'd found the Amaroo Park top gear they used to use. Always wondered how those things seemed to go so quick at Amaroo!

#723 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 21:39

One thing I learned during my Group Automotive Services days was that when they imported the Lynx they also brought in 3 sets of heads, 3 carbs and 3 manifolds. Keeping in mind that chemical milling of manifolds had been going since around 1967 in the USA but not REALLY legal out here till 1992 might explain some of the GAS's speed in those days. I'd also been told the story of Paul McDonald as tech director confiscating one of the manifolds for inspection. It was supposedly returned cut in half with the all clear, no problems found as the result.! And the 1:1 top. I was searching the s/hand parts shelf at Group looking for a second hand top gear for a box when I came across something that I thought was 2 crankshaft gears tied together. Wondering what they'd be doing in amoungst the gearbox gears I picked it up to move it only realising then that it was a driver and driven gearset. I turn around to Larry who'd been there since the start of Group to see a big smile on his face saying that I'd found the Amaroo Park top gear they used to use. Always wondered how those things seemed to go so quick at Amaroo!

I recall the first time I saw Jim Evans in the GAS at Amaroo, it shot flames out the exhaust when he accelerated through stop corner after braking......always wondered about the propriety of the preparation!! That would be the head you showed me after months of trying to catch you:-)

Edited by Greg McCombie, 19 January 2012 - 21:59.

#724 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 21:44

Wasn't it in the early eighties that someone well down the field got a bee in his bonnet about direct top gears?

So he protested the whole field and cars coming in after a race were all checked. His was the only one!

#725 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 22:00

Wasn't it in the early eighties that someone well down the field got a bee in his bonnet about direct top gears?

So he protested the whole field and cars coming in after a race were all checked. His was the only one!

Don't recall that one Ray, would be a scream if it's true!

#726 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,735 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 23:02

Good one. I can just imagine......"I'm cheating, and they're beating me, so they MUST be cheating". :rotfl:

#727 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 23:16

It's true...

Someone was keeping me appraised of all the goings on at the time.

#728 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 23:26

Good one. I can just imagine......"I'm cheating, and they're beating me, so they MUST be cheating". :rotfl:

Greg M, yeah WE 404. The Leigh Hemmings Mk2 has a set on it also. The port job relpica you did was exellent but you missed the most important bit which was the seat. you could pick up around 10 to 15% of flow at lower lifts getting them right.
I was told another story from the old days was about 2 guys racing at Symons Plains. The 2 went in side by side to the hairpin resulting in both having to use 2nd gear. One of the blokes looked across to the other as he pulled 3rd and the guy he was racing did the same still side by side. At the end of 3rd's range he pulled 4th looked across and the other guy did the same. To the first guys suprised a further 300 or so mtrs down the track the guy he was racing pulled another gear! Ah pre gearbox sealing days must have been fun.

Edited by Jacer, 19 January 2012 - 23:29.

#729 pmccurdy

pmccurdy

• 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 23:32

It's true...

Someone was keeping me appraised of all the goings on at the time.

I believe a gentleman from my days in the early 70's accidently installed his 1500 rocker gear when assembling the motor. Not being technical myself I dont know if thats possible. But you'd have to be unlucky.

#730 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,755 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 23:34

Greg M, yeah WE 404. The Leigh Hemmings Mk2 has a set on it also. The port job relpica you did was exellent but you missed the most important bit which was the seat. you could pick up around 10 to 15% of flow at lower lifts getting them right.
I was told another story from the old days was about 2 guys racing at Symons Plains. The 2 went in side by side to the hairpin resulting in both having to use 2nd gear. One of the blokes looked across to the other as he pulled 3rd and the guy he was racing did the same still side by side. At the end of 3rd's range he pulled 4th looked across and the other guy did the same. To the first guys suprised a further 300 or so mtrs down the track the guy he was racing pulled another gear! Ah pre gearbox sealing days must have been fun.

First 1/2" under the valve is always the most important part. HQs are the same or really any engine.
Extra gears reminds me of a well known 90s GpN Cortina, 1 extra gearchange from corner to corner than any other Cortina!

#731 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 23:40

I believe a gentleman from my days in the early 70's accidently installed his 1500 rocker gear when assembling the motor. Not being technical myself I dont know if thats possible. But you'd have to be unlucky.

Again I was told the trick was to grind off the 2 ribs on the pack of the rocker, peen the grinding lightly with a centre punch and then boil them in oil to disguise the handy work. The only thing most didn't realise was that the 1500/1600 rockers had a little '3' cast into them at the pushrod end that you couldn't disguise. I caught a well known German driver with a set on in the late eighties. My old boss at Group willo had a set done for him by a gunsmith who raced Vees that group looked after.He later went on to win a couple of gold stars in the eighties.

#732 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 23:44

Originally posted by pmccurdy
I believe a gentleman from my days in the early 70s accidentally installed his 1500 rocker gear when assembling the motor. Not being technical myself I don't know if that's possible. But you'd have to be unlucky.

I didn't notice Paul McCurdy slip in here...

Welcome to you, Paul, good to see you use your own name too.

I might have actually referred to this incident in a race report, so if anyone's got all their RCNs and checks all the Amaroo Vee race reports they might find it.

#733 pmccurdy

pmccurdy

• 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:05

I didn't notice Paul McCurdy slip in here...

Welcome to you, Paul, good to see you use your own name too.

I might have actually referred to this incident in a race report, so if anyone's got all their RCNs and checks all the Amaroo Vee race reports they might find it.

Yes Ray I enjoy checking out the forum every now and then. BTW I spoke to Ted Proctor(builder of the Manx Mirage and other Manx Group A sports cars) recently.
Ted's in his 80's now, lives up on the NSW north coast and makes some money landscape painting I hear. The Manx cars were generally quite colourful also. I think Ted made the fibreglass for the original Nota Vee in his shed at Banksia.

#734 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:55

Paul, I would really appreciate if you could e.mail me contact details for Ted...

Like some others, I had wrongly assumed he wasn't around any more, it gives me great delight to know he's still active! Depending on exactly where he is, I could call on him this weekend or in a fortnight's time.

My e.mail address is as below:

#735 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,735 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:08

Ray, I've got Ted's phone number. Email me if you need it.

At Amaroo [1970] I was trying to get around Berni, and got a good 'tow', coming onto the main straight. When the normal passing move was tried, my car 'went backwards'. Berni 'powered' away up the hill, like he had an extra 10hp. :confused: My consolation was breaking the lap record......61.5.

#736 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:14

Ray, I've got Ted's phone number. Email me if you need it.

At Amaroo [1970] I was trying to get around Berni, and got a good 'tow', coming onto the main straight. When the normal passing move was tried, my car 'went backwards'. Berni 'powered' away up the hill, like he had an extra 10hp. :confused: My consolation was breaking the lap record......61.5.

Don't tell me he was using his special spark plugs back then???? Gott in himmell

#737 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:27

Originally posted by GMACKIE
Ray, I've got Ted's phone number. Email me if you need it.....

Well, I don't have your e.mail address with me (away working)...

But you have mine, can you get the number to me tonight please?

#738 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:03

Thanks, Greg...

Looks like he's around Bellingen somewhere.

#739 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 798 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:41

Amaroo Park 31st May 1970...late in the day...

Not very good quality, but for what they're worth..............
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Oh, & sorry about the tree....

Advertisement

#740 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 606 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:09

Posted Image

Well, I reckon that light car (second of the three) is Garry Campbell's Standfast.

Bruce Moxon

#741 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,735 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:33

Posted Image
No.8 is Enno Buesselmann.

Posted Image

Bloke on the right [using the ripple-strips] is me. :blush:

#742 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 798 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:45

A bit blurry, but because you're enjoying yourself Greg....
you must have been really annoying, getting underneath them at the stop corner like that!
Posted Image
And I'm afraid that's all there are from that day.

Edited by lyntonh, 11 February 2012 - 22:38.

#743 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,735 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:03

Thank you for posting those F Vee pics, Lynton. :wave: You never seem to run out.

Cheers,

Greg

#744 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 20:56

Posted Image

Damon in front? Gary campbell next then one of the Revells

Posted Image

Posted Image

I reckon that's Klaus (Bernie) in front of Enno

Posted Image

#745 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,735 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 22:10

Greg, Damon wasn't there that day. Alan Tucker? or Terry O'Neill? Neil Revell behind Gary Campbell.

#746 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,874 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 22:32

I called in on Ted Proctor yesterday and had a chat...

He's returned to his pre-racing painting hobby in a big way:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Obviously, when he travels in his VW there's plenty of scenery to paint, while when he's at home he has no problem finding models.

Sounds like an idyllic life!

#747 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 798 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:53

Oran Park 6th November 1971

Posted Image

Posted Image

#748 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,223 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 22:49

[quote name='lyntonh' date='Mar 2 2012, 20:53' post='5560470']
Bernie from Damon Beck the were the first one to use a full face Bell.

Posted Image

#749 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 606 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:58

Posted Image

Who's in the Formcar?

And is that Laurie Campfield in the Elfin (21)?

Bruce Moxon

#750 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 70 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 22:35

Best guess would be Enno Beusselman, he drove the Formcar whilst they were building the Trips, & I think you might be right about Laurie

Who's in the Formcar?

And is that Laurie Campfield in the Elfin (21)?

Bruce Moxon