Photo

Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia

• Please log in to reply
1271 replies to this topic

#851 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:35

All the Drivers and their cars from the December 69 Meeting at Warwick Farm.
Of note Bernie entered Hahn but was driving the Hahn Rennmmax

1. Terry Quartly - Quartly
2. Aub Revell - Standfast
3. Neil Revell - Revell
4. Frank Klelnig Jnr - Mako
5. Damon Beck - Rennmax
6. Barry Hickson - Nota Avanti
7. Greg Mackie - Elfin
8. Paul Corner - Aulcar
9. Peter Finlay - Nota
10. Stewart Anderson - Mako
11. John Phillips - CMS
12. Vic Hall - rennmax
14. John Grant - Standfast
15. Emmo Buesselmann - Trips
16. Gerard Murphy - Mako
17. Tony Fatouros - Fatouros
18. Darryl Adams - Elfin
19. Bernie Haehnle - Hahn-Rennmax
20. Neil Cawthorne - Hahn
21. S L Crawford - CMS
22. Gary Campbell - Stand Fast
23. Robert Behal - Newton
24. Maurie Miller - Roadrunner
25. Terry O'Neill - Rennmax GS
26. Denis Ives - Mako
27. Fred Vogel - Elfin
28. David Beveridge - CMS
29. Paul Samuels - Elfin
30. Keith Angel - CMS
31. Ken Banks - Rennmax
32. Colin Bond - Bardahl
33. Frank Cuttell - Bono
36. Alan Tucker - Mako

Edited by chequer57, 08 October 2012 - 02:57.

Advertisement

#852 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:16

All the Drivers and their cars from the December 69 Meeting at Warwick Farm.
Of note Bernie entered Hahn but was driving the Hahn Rennmmax

1. Terry Quartly - Quartly
2. Aub Revell - Standfast
3. Neil Revell - Revell
4. Frank Klelnig Jnr - Mako
5. Damon Beck - Rennmax
6. Barry Hickson - Nota Avanti
7. Greg Mackie - Elfin
8. Paul Corner - Aulcar
9. Peter Finlay - Nota
10. Stewart Anderson - Mako
11. John Phillips - CMS
12. Vic Hall - rennmax
14. John Grant - Standfast
15. Emmo Buesselmann - Trips
16. Gerard Murphy - Mako
17. Tony Fatouros - Fatouros
18. Darryl Adams - Elfin
19. Bernie Haehnle - Hahn-Rennmax
20. Neil Cawthorne - Hahn
21. S L Crawford - CMS
22. Gary Campbell - Stand Fast
23. Robert Behal - Newton
24. Maurie Miller - Roadrunner
25. Terry O'Neill - Rennmax GS
26. Denis Ives - Mako
27. Fred Vogel - Elfin
28. David Beveridge - CMS
29. Paul Samuels - Elfin
30. Keith Angel - CMS
31. Ken Banks - Rennmax
32. Colin Bond - Bardahl
33. Frank Cuttell - Bono
36. Alan Tucker - Mako

Gee it must have been hard trying to keep track of Vees in the old days. The Hahn Rennmax had the 'Hahn' added when Bernie bought it off Ken Goodwin otherwise it was a mk 1 with Standfast trailing arm pick ups. The #20 Hahn looks to be the '65 Formcar that Bernie bought in and according to him first ran at Easter Bathurst 1968.
Photo 7 has Frank K leading Terry Q ( the Quartly has a square shaped added section in the rear near the exhaust outlet) but in fact was sold as a Mako, Bernie in the Hahn Rennmax is following. As I mentioned before the Mako that became a Quartly then finally became a Mako again in the late 70's then dissapeared probably in total confusion! The Hahn Rennmax should make it's racing return at Tasman. Ian do you have any photos of the 'Club' vee that Craig Bradshaw had at one stage? The Fatouros bodywork very similar.

#853 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:41

Posted Image

The Club Vee in it's originalish bodywork from King Edward Park 2001

#854 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:48

Posted Image

The Club Vee in it's originalish bodywork from King Edward Park 2001

yeah nothing like it. It's more like that ebay car of a few years back.

#855 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:05

You mean the car we've dubbed the Rust-e-vee.

That car is a looks basically like an Autodynamics Caldwell D13 frame (large botton round tubes) and the brake master cylinders under the drivers knees.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by chequer57, 08 October 2012 - 05:24.

#856 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:15

You mean the car we've dubbed the Rust-e-vee.

That car is a looks basically like an Autodynamics Caldwell D13 frame (large botton round tubes) and the brake master cylinders under the drivers knees.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gee love the steel frame inside the nose cone, hate to get t boned by it. No your mystery vee e-mail from 2011. You had a photo from the Oran Park esses from about 68 but I checked the photo and it's not that similar either. I'll just sit down and shut up now!

#857 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,687 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:37

Gee love the steel frame inside the nose cone, hate to get t boned by it.

Got to have the steel frame to protect the master cylinders.... No, wait a moment! :lol:

#858 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:56

Gee love the steel frame inside the nose cone, hate to get t boned by it. No your mystery vee e-mail from 2011. You had a photo from the Oran Park esses from about 68 but I checked the photo and it's not that similar either. I'll just sit down and shut up now!

Feel free to throw a suggestion around, we though maybe Maurie Fordham's last Phantom, or maybe a Eric Marsh or an Andy Fischer or Helmet Ricker experiment car.

#859 W154

W154

• 321 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:35

Historic formula vee chassis, body, linkages and beetle front/ rear for sale on aussieveedubbers.com. Car is advertized as an American "Beach" but more likely a Geneer.
For $800 seems reasonable?

Advertisement

#860 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:42

Historic formula vee chassis, body, linkages and beetle front/ rear for sale on aussieveedubbers.com. Car is advertized as an American "Beach" but more likely a Geneer.
For $800 seems reasonable?

It's not a Geneer chassis though, spoke to Ray Schmidt who used work on them in the 70's, all Geneer Vee are square tube, this thing is round tube. I'm working on it though.

Posted Image

Rest of the photos are here

http://s35.photobuck...e...20of a Vee/

Edited by chequer57, 16 October 2012 - 14:08.

#861 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 793 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:23

Warwick Farm 12th July 1969
Posted Image

#862 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 793 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:31

Warwick Farm 6th September 1969...some circuit "furniture" in the way on some...
& some scratchy looking shots...but still.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#863 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:07

I'm just re-scanning some of David Keep's Longford shots and found a few Vee pics. They only raced at Longford in 1968 before it all closed down. They had a scratch race on the Saturday which Mike Bessant won in his Scarab (he's just behind Mike Bruce's Elfin Vee heading into the Viaduct braking area) - his top speed was 95 mph on the Flying Mile. The Handicap was won by Joe Olding in the Goblin Vee from Bessant and Pat Stride. No Vee race was held on the wet Monday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#864 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 793 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:09

Warwick Farm Tasman Meeting 1970....very ordinary, taken from behind the heads....but anyway.....
just because I can...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#865 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 793 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:11

Posted Image
[/quote]

The car in the creek looks chopped in half...was he OK?

#866 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,835 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 14:35

I think you'll find that's just the bodywork...

The car would still be basically intact.

#867 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,724 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:37

The car appears to be right-way-up.....you can just see the roll-bar and fan housing.

Most Vees had those 'Cheyney' case clips holding the front and rear body sections on. Didn't take much to 'pop' them.

#868 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:57

Wasn't a great meeting for Cullen. He had a trip into the scrub at Newry before "losing his gears on the downchange to the viaduct" (Fast Track Back - Barry Green). Tas Auto News reported, "Graham Cullen absolutely demolished the Cullen Marine Services C.M.S. Vee when he lost it under the viaduct and left the track on the beginning of the causeway to end up on the dry river bed about eight feet below the road with the car breaking up as it landed." Few more Vee shots from the site too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#869 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 603 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:39

Wasn't a great meeting for Cullen. He had a trip into the scrub at Newry before "losing his gears on the downchange to the viaduct" (Fast Track Back - Barry Green). Tas Auto News reported, "Graham Cullen absolutely demolished the Cullen Marine Services C.M.S. Vee when he lost it under the viaduct and left the track on the beginning of the causeway to end up on the dry river bed about eight feet below the road with the car breaking up as it landed." Few more Vee shots from the site too.

73-lo.jpg[/img]Posted Image

The car in the background looks like it took inspiration from WA's BMH Holden Special - otherwise known as The Comic Book Car. Tom Benson races it now, with a great deal of verve.

Posted Image

And you just know this is a really early Vee - no camber cable, no transverse leaf.

#870 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,729 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:47

It appears to have some sort of adjustable coils under the gearbox?
And the Olympic GT radials. Yeah I show my age!

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 06 November 2012 - 21:48.

#871 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,724 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:45

Those coils under the gearbox are a very complex way of doing the same job of the traditional leaf spring [known as a 'camber-compensator'].

Most Vees nowadays use only a 'compensator' for the rear suspension....be it a leaf spring [under], or a single coil, or sometimes a Z bar [over] the gearbox. The theory is that this gives 'Zero roll resistance'. The cable serves to limit droop, but not roll.

Most people think there is nothing much to a Vee suspension......wrong! :rolleyes:

#872 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:15

Those coils under the gearbox are a very complex way of doing the same job of the traditional leaf spring [known as a 'camber-compensator'].

Most Vees nowadays use only a 'compensator' for the rear suspension....be it a leaf spring [under], or a single coil, or sometimes a Z bar [over] the gearbox. The theory is that this gives 'Zero roll resistance'. The cable serves to limit droop, but not roll.

Most people think there is nothing much to a Vee suspension......wrong! :rolleyes:

and get a gander at those crappy driveshaft boots :) ..... :lol:

#873 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:00

Bruce, the FBW special was actually built from the remains of Bevan Wylie's Ford 10 Special. It was lying in a paddock just down from Bob Wright's place and he couldn't bear looking at it
in such a state so bought it for $100 and rebuilt it. He used the motor out of a Borgward Isabella which just happened to be lying around. Cost him virtually nothing to build and he had quite a bit of success
in Div 2 Sports and Racing. Next owner Roger Bradley had some wins too. Very light car and no doubt Bob had it properly sorted as well.

#874 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,835 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:34

Originally posted by ellrosso
Posted Image

It seems so appropriate... parked behind a Vauxhall Viva!

Lee... I'm happy to show my age. I'll do so in stating that they are not GT Radials.

Mick, those were standard issue replacements for the original swing arm boots. Nothing wrong with them.

#875 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:40

I'll go out on a limb here but the rear shot of the car marked as Brian roberts Elfin I doubt it is an Elfin. Chassis from the roll bar back is totally different as is the roll bar and it's central brace bar.
DC

#876 pmccurdy

pmccurdy

• 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:42

When I bought the Quartly from Terry in the '70s it had only coil springs and the cable. It must have been the way Terry preferred it but each time I drove over the Northern crossing at the Farm the car would leap into the air and usually break the cable. That made the right hander at the crossing exit very interesting. You knew the cable hadn't broken if you got thru the corner otherwise it had. Dunno how Terry managed it. Anyway being a boring type I bought a compensator spring from B.K Haenle which did the trick.

#877 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,835 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 15:15

I can just imagine that, Paul...

The Northern Crossing could be a trifle difficult with its rapid changes in elevation, even though they were small. I watched cars coming over it for six years and saw some hairy moments there, Doug Macarthur's included.

#878 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,724 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 20:34

I'll go out on a limb here but the rear shot of the car marked as Brian roberts Elfin I doubt it is an Elfin. Chassis from the roll bar back is totally different as is the roll bar and it's central brace bar.
DC

I agree, David. The only thing Elfin-looking [from that view] is the four single pipe exhaust. My Elfin came with those pipes, and when I made the 4-into-2-into-1 for it, there was a 4hp increase! Don't laugh......that's 10 percent.

Good to meet you at Wakefield Park, by the way.

#879 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 21:14

I've just checked some programs and Roberts Racing Partnership had 2 Vees - No 109 was an Elfin and No 110 was a CMS - so you're quite right, not an Elfin.

Advertisement

#880 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:32

I agree, David. The only thing Elfin-looking [from that view] is the four single pipe exhaust. My Elfin came with those pipes, and when I made the 4-into-2-into-1 for it, there was a 4hp increase! Don't laugh......that's 10 percent.

Good to meet you at Wakefield Park, by the way.

Yeah was good to finally meet Greg. I've seen photos of the Mako, it's coming along nicely. i've got Type 500 chassis #667 here at the moment, I'll try to take some photos.

#881 Wirra

Wirra

• 892 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:57

Who said Vee drivers aren't a close-knit group?

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 09 January 2013 - 11:47.

#882 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:40

Who said Vee drivers are a close-knit group?

Posted Image

Wow - looks like 44 on the grid and more arriving in the background...

#883 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:05

Wow - looks like 44 on the grid and more arriving in the background...

That's the parade before the 2005 Vee Nationals. I'm there - car 9 - second row - the Moxon Vee.

Bruce Moxon

#884 Wirra

Wirra

• 892 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:14

Me too... #17 row two.

Even earlier: We looked old at this reunion which was over 20 years ago - what must we look like now? It's a rhetorical question, no need to answer.

Posted Image

#885 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:46

Me too in the light blue car on the front row..Great day.

#886 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:59

Me too... #17 row two.

Even earlier: We looked old at this reunion which was over 20 years ago - what must we look like now? It's a rhetorical question, no need to answer.

Posted Image

Well let's see... Normoyle, McCombie and David Cutts are completely grey (so am I). Graham Engel and Frank K look exactly the same. Come to think of it, Franks always looked like that. Seeing Damon - must go and visit him. Soon.

Bruce Moxon

#887 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:46

Well let's see... Normoyle, McCombie and David Cutts are completely grey (so am I). Graham Engel and Frank K look exactly the same. Come to think of it, Franks always looked like that. Seeing Damon - must go and visit him. Soon.

Bruce Moxon

Gee don't even remember that photo. Think I remember the 'regularity' event though. Wish I'd known it was regularity before the event!

#888 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,835 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:30

Damon?

I haven't phoned him in a couple of months, I should do something about that.

Normoyle's completely grey? That's what comes of working with lesser writers...

#889 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,835 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:36

And you wouldn't believe it...

Damon phoned me the next day!

#890 Wirra

Wirra

• 892 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:45

Was it not ever thus and will it not ever thus remain?

#891 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 22:43

with all the Amaroo tv coverage for vees over 15 or so years it's the only youtube stuff from the time I've seen. I had Amaroo from about '84 to' 90 which I think was the last year of our coverage but the got 'lost'. Has anyone out there got any Amaroo vee tapes from the period?

#892 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 00:31

The Vees can thank Mike Raymond like him or not] for the coverage that Vees got in that time. It looked very good on TV.
And probably without him HQs would never have been more than a local Tassy class.The race they got on the ATCC telecast is what brought them into prominence.
In those days the TV actually showcased interesting motorsport instead of franchised racing like happens these days. And a good race on the day sometimes got you telecast, not planned months before.

#893 Wirra

Wirra

• 892 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:51

During my time it didn’t hurt that Evan Green was doing the TV commentary and his son, Gavin, was racing Vees! I have a few races from the mid-late 70s on VHS but when this was raised earlier I suggested someone contact Gavin – a motoring journalist in the UK – to see if he had tapes.

#894 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:59

The Vees can thank Mike Raymond like him or not] for the coverage that Vees got in that time. It looked very good on TV.
And probably without him HQs would never have been more than a local Tassy class.The race they got on the ATCC telecast is what brought them into prominence.
In those days the TV actually showcased interesting motorsport instead of franchised racing like happens these days. And a good race on the day sometimes got you telecast, not planned months before.

The Coca Cola money helped enormously. The Vee association brought the coke money to Amaroo which went on to also cover the Formula Fords as well. Mike was a huge fan of Bernie that's for sure. I think Bernie's car was the pioneer for openwheel race cam out here. It all seemed to work for everyone in all classes at Amaroo. Entries were higher than a club meeting but not that high considering. You got prize money and you had tv coverage that you could sell to small sponsors.

#895 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 793 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:35

Posted Image
Warren Davis....Bathurst 1971

#896 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,885 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:42

Hi,

I'm intrigued by the Spectre car 24 driven by Ken Taylor in this race. I purchased an 87 Kingfischer in late 94 from Mike Cullinan down Gippsland way that had the exact same bodywork as this car, with the exception of the engine inlet snorkel. The blue, white and yellow colour scheme is identical though. Yet the logbook that came with my car showed it as having black and orange bodywork at some earlier time. Both being NG Elfin copies I guess it was possible that this bodywork ended up on my car at some stage.

Mark

#897 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:18

Hi,

I'm intrigued by the Spectre car 24 driven by Ken Taylor in this race. I purchased an 87 Kingfischer in late 94 from Mike Cullinan down Gippsland way that had the exact same bodywork as this car, with the exception of the engine inlet snorkel. The blue, white and yellow colour scheme is identical though. Yet the logbook that came with my car showed it as having black and orange bodywork at some earlier time. Both being NG Elfin copies I guess it was possible that this bodywork ended up on my car at some stage.

Mark

Known Ken for about 32 years. He sold the car after this race and retired till making a comeback in 2010 in Qld in a 1600 Jacer. Car was sold as is Geoff Humble and raced for a few years with a couple of different drivers but hasn't raced since about 1991. It's sitting in a Geoff's garage in Newcastle. The colours were based around the Williams F1 of 85/86. Ken's car ran bodywork out of molds that his old man Len had produced. My car and a few others ran the same bodywork. The molds are stting in a container outside now. As far as I know the car was sold with this bodywork which was then painted green but I'll check with Ken the next time I catch up with him.

#898 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,885 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:01

Thanks Jacer,

I'll have to scan and post a photo of my old car to show the similarity.

Cheers
Mark

Edited by mark f1, 14 January 2013 - 06:01.

#899 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,835 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:11

Originally posted by Jacer
The Coca Cola money helped enormously. The Vee association brought the coke money to Amaroo which went on to also cover the Formula Fords as well. Mike was a huge fan of Bernie that's for sure. I think Bernie's car was the pioneer for openwheel race cam out here. It all seemed to work for everyone in all classes at Amaroo.....

Channel 7 were smitten by the close racing of Vees, that was the only reason they got the airtime...

The first open car to carry Racecam was Graeme McClintock's Mawer.

Advertisement

#900 Wirra

Wirra

• 892 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:57

... the close racing of Vees, that was the only reason ...

A pretty damn good reason if you ask me.

However, you're right Ray… How stupid of those clowns at Channel 7 to not see that their viewers and the paying spectators were really hanging out for faster cars all holding position after the first lap and stringing out further and further apart as ‘the race’ progressed. Not forgetting the high excitement as frequently one car experienced mechanical failure and the following cars all moved up a place!