Photo

Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia

• Please log in to reply
1261 replies to this topic

#951 Gough1967

Gough1967

• 46 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:07

Ray Colenso sent me some pics of his time in the Lamco and has kindly given permission for me to post them.

This one taken at at a motorkhana in Geelong in 1978, now the site of the Bunnings store there.

Posted Image

Edited by Gough1967, 03 May 2013 - 09:08.

Advertisement

#952 Gough1967

Gough1967

• 46 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:58

Here is my Dad's MK 1 Rennmax when it was brand new, we found this pic in the back
of one of the family albums just yesterday, it was taken outside his workshop
in King Georges Rd Blakehurst NSW early in 1967.

My Dad told me yesterday that he'd asked Bob Britton for one of his Vees...
this one was on the floor, brand new and never raced, Bob said he could have it,
my Dad paid the money and it was his, he raced it through the 1967 season at Warwick Farm
Oran Park and Amaroo.You can see from the stickers on the front wheel and lack of any artwork that it was brand new.

There is list of MK1 Rennmax first owners getting around that does not have Tony Alessi on it, that list
is incorrect, we've informed the Rennmax website but have not had any luck getting them to correct it.

This is the car Bernie Haehnle has campaigned so successfully for more than 30 years and he is still
the current owner.

Paul Alessi, Goulburn

Posted Image

Edited by Gough1967, 13 May 2013 - 06:08.

#953 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,637 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 23:24

After finding my old photos, thought you might be interested in seeing this photo of a triple dead heat at the 1996 Super Tourer support race at Calder. How often has that occurred? Its a poor photo taken by my mate's wife, but I never saw any other photo of this finish. I think it is Frank Haire furthest from the camera (or is it Cade Southall), a driver from SA whose name escapes me in the middle (Black car with Meccano or Tamiya sponsorship I think), and Bill England closest to camera. I have the result sheet somewhere...

Posted Image

So it was the most exciting race of the day. Three 2 litres seldom finished!

#954 Gough1967

Gough1967

• 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:32

Found these in the family album the other day, Warwick Farm 1967,
My Dad (Tony Alessi) #42 Rennmax furthest from camera in the top pic,
then looks like another Rennmax beside him and an Elfin ? into the armco.

Posted Image

Edited by Gough1967, 14 May 2013 - 09:49.

#955 JRawle

JRawle

• 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:26

Gday, first timer, we'll see how it goes.

I bought a '74 Stag V late last year, great little car, and am running it with the GEAR Club at Wakefield. I'd like to find out any history anyone might know of the car and any information on Stag that any one might have.

I've got a CAMS Logbook (not current), list of owners from the book below.

Original Owner - L.S. Raymer, Woodville Park, SA.
24/12/74 – Keith Poole, Parkholme, SA.
29/4/75 – Don Collyer, Middle Cove, NSW.
7/12/79 – Tony Kent, Killara, NSW.
21/10/82 – Kevin Walters, Roseville Chase, NSW.
22/2/88 – Brett Walters, Roseville Chase, NSW.
1/8/95 – Wayne Gow, Sefton, NSW.
7/1/97 – Glenn Moulds, Hornsby, NSW.
22/1/97 – Eamon Matthews, Leumeah Heights, NSW.
30/11/98 – John Evans, Summer Hill, NSW.
13/3/00 – Mark Wilson, Cronulla, NSW.
14/5/03 – Eamon Matthews, Willow Vale, NSW.
Approx 2005 – Ron Hillery, Vincentia, NSW.
Oct, 2012 – John Rawle, Goulburn, NSW. Thanks for any help anyone can give. Cheers, John

#956 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:06

Welcome John...nice first post!....you didn't work at Garden Island Dockyard perchance?

#957 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:16

... I'd like to find out any history anyone might know of the car and any information on Stag that any one might have...

I was a mate of Don Collyer when he owned the car. We bumped into one another at Suttons/Robin Orlando (see photo) and the damage bills led us both to retirement from racing. I bumped into him again at the 2010 Tasman and I have his e-mail.

Posted Image

#958 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 22:45

Will you be at Wakefield Park, June 12th, for the GEAR Club day, John?

#959 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:36

I was a mate of Don Collyer when he owned the car. We bumped into one another at Suttons/Robin Orlando (see photo) and the damage bills led us both to retirement from racing. I bumped into him again at the 2010 Tasman and I have his e-mail.

Posted Image

Gee it had a tubeframes Nimbus body on in those days.

Advertisement

#960 Glenn Moulds

Glenn Moulds

• 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:32

Gee it had a tubeframes Nimbus body on in those days.

David, you have just jogged my memory. I think the car came with the Tubeframes body as a spare when I bought the car (and had for 2-3 weeks!). Eamonn should remember.

#961 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:14

David, you have just jogged my memory. I think the car came with the Tubeframes body as a spare when I bought the car (and had for 2-3 weeks!). Eamonn should remember.

I'm sure some profit was made off it, some how !!

#962 JRawle

JRawle

• 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:14

That's the plan. The car's good to go. Cheers.

#963 JRawle

JRawle

• 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:14

That's the plan. The car's good to go. Cheers.

#964 JRawle

JRawle

• 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:20

Gday, first timer, we'll see how it goes.

I bought a '74 Stag V late last year, great little car, and am running it with the GEAR Club at Wakefield. I'd like to find out any history anyone might know of the car and any information on Stag that any one might have.

I've got a CAMS Logbook (not current), list of owners from the book below.

Original Owner - L.S. Raymer, Woodville Park, SA.
24/12/74 – Keith Poole, Parkholme, SA.
29/4/75 – Don Collyer, Middle Cove, NSW.
7/12/79 – Tony Kent, Killara, NSW.
21/10/82 – Kevin Walters, Roseville Chase, NSW.
22/2/88 – Brett Walters, Roseville Chase, NSW.
1/8/95 – Wayne Gow, Sefton, NSW.
7/1/97 – Glenn Moulds, Hornsby, NSW.
22/1/97 – Eamon Matthews, Leumeah Heights, NSW.
30/11/98 – John Evans, Summer Hill, NSW.
13/3/00 – Mark Wilson, Cronulla, NSW.
14/5/03 – Eamon Matthews, Willow Vale, NSW.
Approx 2005 – Ron Hillery, Vincentia, NSW.
Oct, 2012 – John Rawle, Goulburn, NSW. Thanks for any help anyone can give. Cheers, John

Gday, no, never worked at GI. I did knock around with some Navy blokes in the 70's who were stationed there. That's about as close as I got.

#965 JRawle

JRawle

• 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:26

Posted Image

Cool. Thanks for the photo to add to the scrapbook.

I'm figuring my car is the one at the top of the shot? Looks like the original photo in the logbook.

I'd like to get in touch with Don if he wouldn't mind you passing on his email.

Cheers.

#966 JRawle

JRawle

• 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:29

Welcome John...nice first post!....you didn't work at Garden Island Dockyard perchance?

No, never worked at GI. Knew some Navy blokes in the '70s that did.

#967 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:08

No, never worked at GI. Knew some Navy blokes in the '70s that did.

Thanks JR....hmmmm....never knew any Navy blokes that actually worked at GI in the '70s :wave: :rotfl:

#968 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:21

Posted Image

Does anyone know the Chassis and Engine number of the One-Tonner...I reckon its still going round at Wakefield :)

#969 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:17

Funny thing about this photo coming up recently. Peter Moore who owns the Peter Houston Ng Elfin in the photo now came in yesterday asking about repairs he wanted done as he is full steam ahead on rebuilding it now. He said that he discover one of the lower rails bent after a shunt it had near suttons. Looked most suprised when I seemed to know a bit about it somehow!

Edited by Jacer, 04 June 2013 - 08:18.

#970 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:34

... he discover one of the lower rails bent after a shunt it had near suttons...

All the damage was behind the rear bulkhead where it doesn't have lower rails. He probably meant the upper rails.

Does anyone know the Chassis and Engine number of the One-Tonner...

When I came to I asked one of the rescue crew to go and get those details as I thought someone might be interested later on. I inscribed them on a piece of broken fibreglass via a thumbnail dipped in blood. I'll see if I can find it.

Edited by Wirra, 04 June 2013 - 10:58.

#971 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:06

When I came to I asked one of the rescue crew to go and get those details as I thought someone might be interested later on. I inscribed them on a piece of broken fibreglass via a thumbnail dipped in blood. I'll see if I can find it.

:clap:

#972 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:07

What a man! For services above and beyond the call of duty, and under duress, towards the preservation of Chassis History, I anoint thee, Sir Wirra :up:

#973 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 13:57

All the damage was behind the rear bulkhead where it doesn't have lower rails. He probably meant the upper rails.

he did mention that you replaced part of the rear triangle afterwards. he also mentioned that after you went overseas the engine performance wasn't the same without you to maintain it. Anyway he's hoping to get it running for one of his kids to maybe have a run. either way after 30 plus years it would be good to see it reappear

#974 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 22:42

... he also mentioned that after you went overseas the engine performance wasn't the same without you to maintain it. ...

That engine had the most hp seen from a Vee (at that time) on John Schroder’s Hornsby dyno – I remember it vividly as it was tuned the day of the Granville train disaster. The heads had been ported by a mob a Peakhurst (IIRC, two brothers (Adams?) at their shop just off Boundary Rd – Greg may recall their name). When I eventually got back from Europe I cried when Moore told me someone has redone the porting.

he did mention that you replaced part of the rear triangle afterwards...

Not so.

Posted Image

I only ran the NG for a year. We had great sponsorship but unfortunately we received all the money upfront and in our (my) immaturity we sprayed half of it up against the wall with a party to celebrate. We looked good winning the second round of the series but the Suttons off was in round three and I had to borrow Dennis Watt’s car (now with Steve Batty) and Simon Gilberts 500 for a few races. By the time I had replace the engine and gearbox – both fractured in the crash – the money and enthusiasm was gone.

I still have great memories of the 500 however.

Posted Image

#975 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 23:42

Alan Tucker [Rennmax] was sponsored by Adams Automotive......was that them?

#976 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 22:03

I still have great memories of the 500 however.

Posted Image
[/quote]
Gee that looks a bit willing! Oran Park GP, hairpin just after/ under the bridge, Graham Engel Hahn Rennmax, Bill Christie Rennmax Mk2?

Edited by Jacer, 05 June 2013 - 22:04.

#977 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 22:14

[quote name='Wirra' date='Jun 4 2013, 23:42' post='6299520']
That engine had the most hp seen from a Vee (at that time) on John Schroder’s Hornsby dyno – I remember it vividly as it was tuned the day of the Granville train disaster. The heads had been ported by a mob a Peakhurst (IIRC, two brothers (Adams?) at their shop just off Boundary Rd – Greg may recall their name). When I eventually got back from Europe I cried when Moore told me someone has redone the porting.

Most people think that grinding the daylights out of the ports is the way to go, it isn't . I've seen so many ruined heads by this. Once the flow bench hit the australian Vee scene in the early 80's it became apparent how important valve selection and seats were. You can make roughly a 20% gain at low lifts even with a std set of heads. They really are an air pump when you break it down.

#978 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,801 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:45

"Jean Paul" today....

Posted Image

#979 Gough1967

Gough1967

• 46 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:57

[quote name='275 GTB-4' post='6312906' date='Jun 12 2013, 20:45']"Jean Paul" today....

Ha haaa,Wakefield Park ...cold and wet as only Wakefield can be in Winter....the crisp new Dunlop CR82s were excellent ..
thank you very much for the pic 275 GTB-4 ...

Edited by Gough1967, 12 June 2013 - 12:59.

Advertisement

#980 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,727 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 21:59

That's an interesting pic of the Mk 2 Rennmax...

I seem to recall that most or all of them lost their air scoops on the side within months of them coming into being.

Edited by Ray Bell, 12 June 2013 - 22:00.

#981 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 67 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 00:34

That's an interesting pic of the Mk 2 Rennmax...

I seem to recall that most or all of them lost their air scoops on the side within months of them coming into being.

Not so Ray, the Mk2 came out late '75, I had mine the first time in '76 then again in '79 to '81. I tried the no scoops option at end of 76 then sold the car to Bernie Cashin. He put the ears back on and I kept them when I bought it back from him, Steve Cramp's sister car also had them in 81 when we ran Farah Slacks sponsorship...The cooling was much better with the ears!
BTW can you tell me how to upload a photo here?

#982 Gough1967

Gough1967

• 46 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:44

Not so Ray, the Mk2 came out late '75, I had mine the first time in '76 then again in '79 to '81. I tried the no scoops option at end of 76 then sold the car to Bernie Cashin. He put the ears back on and I kept them when I bought it back from him, Steve Cramp's sister car also had them in 81 when we ran Farah Slacks sponsorship...The cooling was much better with the ears!
BTW can you tell me how to upload a photo here?

Hi Greg,

You will need to upload your photo somewhere else like Photobucket , there are other places of course but
thats the one I use..just open an acount there, its easy...once you've got your photo there,
There is a box on the right hand side of the page with a heading
"Links to share this photo"
look for a sub heading "IMG" beside that should be a link
starting with "URL" copy and paste that link into your post.

Before you click "Submit Post" click on "Preview "to make sure the photo is displaying correctly

Cheers Paul

#983 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 67 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:10

Hi Greg,

You will need to upload your photo somewhere else like Photobucket , there are other places of course but
thats the one I use..just open an acount there, its easy...once you've got your photo there,
There is a box on the right hand side of the page with a heading
"Links to share this photo"
look for a sub heading "IMG" beside that should be a link
starting with "URL" copy and paste that link into your post.

Before you click "Submit Post" click on "Preview "to make sure the photo is displaying correctly

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul, see how I go...

Posted Image

#984 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 67 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:23

Posted Image

Above is 1981 at the Loop (Amaroo Park)

Below 1976 Sydney Motor Show

Posted Image

#985 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:16

with all the Amaroo tv coverage for vees over 15 or so years it's the only youtube stuff from the time I've seen. I had Amaroo from about '84 to' 90 which I think was the last year of our coverage but the got 'lost'. Has anyone out there got any Amaroo vee tapes from the period?

One more has been loaded.

(edit) AND, Calder Thunderdome

More

Edited by Wirra, 03 July 2013 - 10:34.

#986 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,727 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:36

I'm pretty sure my brother has all the Amaroo tapes...

Not that he can find them, most likely.

#987 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,637 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 23:39

One more has been loaded.

(edit) AND, Calder Thunderdome

More

That Calder Dome footage was good. Though those guys were brave racing a Vee on the dome. Those walls would be scarey.

#988 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:38

That Calder Dome footage was good. Though those guys were brave racing a Vee on the dome. Those walls would be scarey.

On Youtube also is our 1987 nationals which was run on the normal circuit combined with the dome. I think it was the world touring car round. Our sunday morning heats were run in drizzle. We still did around 180 to 190 kph around the dome even in the wet. I remember first time around trying to work out how fast you could go through the final turn on the dome before you just slid up track and into the wall and back down in front of everyone. We all survived thankfully but I've got to admit certain things 'tightened' at the thought!

#989 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,637 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:06

On Youtube also is our 1987 nationals which was run on the normal circuit combined with the dome. I think it was the world touring car round. Our sunday morning heats were run in drizzle. We still did around 180 to 190 kph around the dome even in the wet. I remember first time around trying to work out how fast you could go through the final turn on the dome before you just slid up track and into the wall and back down in front of everyone. We all survived thankfully but I've got to admit certain things 'tightened' at the thought!

One thing you can say , you ran an interesting circuit that is never likely to happen again. Even if the Dome was resurrected I cant see CAMS coming at the combined circuit again. I saw that meeting on TV.
Strangely I have never raced at Calder, entered for one of the GPs and got sick, entered for a Sports Sedan meeting and got sick. I must be allergic to the place! Driven by a few times but that is as close as I have ever got.

#990 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:05

One thing you can say , you ran an interesting circuit that is never likely to happen again. Even if the Dome was resurrected I cant see CAMS coming at the combined circuit again. I saw that meeting on TV.
Strangely I have never raced at Calder, entered for one of the GPs and got sick, entered for a Sports Sedan meeting and got sick. I must be allergic to the place! Driven by a few times but that is as close as I have ever got.

I've done Amaroo, Oran long and short, Wakefield, short Winton, Sandown (sports car and current configs), Baskerville, Mallala, Adelaide GP, the old surfers and Morgan Park but still rank driving that circuit as being the most enjoyable of all even in spite of the overnight rain on Sat/Sun, the 40 kph winds blowing from the south and the top temp on sunday only reaching 9 degs! Does anyone know who Australian Motorsport classics is/are? They seems to have a lot of good stuff.

#991 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:36

I've done Amaroo, Oran long and short, Wakefield, short Winton, Sandown (sports car and current configs), Baskerville, Mallala, Adelaide GP, the old surfers and Morgan Park but still rank driving that circuit as being the most enjoyable of all even in spite of the overnight rain on Sat/Sun, the 40 kph winds blowing from the south and the top temp on sunday only reaching 9 degs! Does anyone know who Australian Motorsport classics is/are? They seems to have a lot of good stuff.

DC,

Australian Motor Sport Classics is Leigh Everett from South Australia.
I contacted him two years ago to get a DVD copy of the AIR Race.

Regards,

Ian

#992 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,727 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:50

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I'm pretty sure my brother has all the Amaroo tapes.....

I spoke to my brother about this today...

If there are a few, say five, who want a DVD made up of all the Vee races from Amaroo from c1983 to 1989, he's prepared to put it together.

#993 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:05

I spoke to my brother about this today...

If there are a few, say five, who want a DVD made up of all the Vee races from Amaroo from c1983 to 1989, he's prepared to put it together.

Ray, please thank you brother for the offer but it's a decade after my time. Regards.

#994 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:54

Ray, please thank you brother for the offer but it's a decade after my time. Regards.

And almost two decades after mine. :lol: :wave:

#995 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,188 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:20

Ray it's a decade after my time in a Vee also .However F/V is always good to watch. :wave:

#996 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:28

I finally got around to buying a VHS converter ($10 on eBay) and I’ve started to download some Amaroo Vee races from the late 70s, early 80s. Here is the first. Although they are not the best quality to begin with I’m a bit disappointed in the significant further loss of quality when uploaded to Youtube.

There are 7 or 8 races in total and if anyone wants a flash drive copy let me know (PM). Considering it has taken 35 years to do the first don’t hold your breath waiting for all of them.

I think this one is sometime in 1977(?) :
- Gavin takes a flying lesson thanks to Doug’s habitual spatial awareness problem – wow, just how lucky were those flaggies?
- Bill gets his usual ‘Golden Boy’ treatment from the commentators – I'm sure it was nothing to do with the fact they each received a bottle, or two, of his sponsor’s product at each meeting, (judging by Davo's inability to identify correct cars and drivers he may have sampled some already), and
- Leo recognizes real talent when he sees it!

edit - Apologies, this is a very poor quality upload.

Edited by Wirra, 20 July 2013 - 14:01.

#997 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 14:00

Doug Angus in this one - nothing more needs be added.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Edited by Wirra, 25 July 2013 - 04:55.

#998 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 00:54

Continuing the Romain Grosjean theme.

Peter Radtke doing a Doug Angus impersonation with Mark Penklis on the receiving end!

No instant replays in those days so the slow motion replay is at the end. Watch the slo-mo again and note also the Frank Burke/Peter Radtke impact on the other side of the track.

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 25 July 2013 - 04:56.

#999 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:22

Continuing the Romain Grosjean theme.

Peter Radtke doing a Doug Angus impersonation with Mark Penklis on the receiving end!

No instant replays in those days so the slow motion replay is at the end. Watch the slo-mo again and note also the Frank Burke/Peter Radtke impact on the other side of the track.

Sorry I haven't looked here for a while. Firstly thank you Ray for talking to your brother. I'd be interested and based on costs etc would probably take 5 and find them homes if there was still an offer.
Secondly Peter what a way to start Sunday morning! Hadn't seen the Gavin Green crash where legs were broken/ funny how Mike Raymond re assured us that he was perfectly fine. I suppose still having a pulse was fine back then after a big one. Never realised Doug 'brailed' a bit. Knew watching Radtke and Paul McDonald was always a crowd pleaser. Great stuff ,look forward to more.

Advertisement

#1000 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:47

Sorry I haven't looked here for a while. Firstly thank you Ray for talking to your brother. I'd be interested and based on costs etc would probably take 5 and find them homes if there was still an offer.
Secondly Peter what a way to start Sunday morning! Hadn't seen the Gavin Green crash where legs were broken/ funny how Mike Raymond re assured us that he was perfectly fine. I suppose still having a pulse was fine back then after a big one. Never realised Doug 'brailed' a bit. Knew watching Radtke and Paul McDonald was always a crowd pleaser. Great stuff ,look forward to more.

I owned the car that Penklis drove for a while around 1990, bought it off a mate going to England. My old boss Peter H Williamson told me how cursed that car was. Owned Originally by Bill Norton it rolled around Torana at short circuit Oran Park. It was then sold to Brian Sprouster who owned it when Penklis rolled it. It was then sold to Russell Green who rolled on the approach to Mazda At Amaroo Park!