Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:06

Yep Page to McCombie in Nov 1980

Advertisement

#152 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,085 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 19:52

Brian Milton?

MVW comes to mind, a rather larger body than a Vee, was it a sports car? Supercharged, I think...

#153 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:25

I found another ex-vee driver hiding in Sydney (well not hiding that well) Nigel Hook. He used to own a Ranger Vee and he sent me a pic of him driving it at Amaroo in 1988.
Posted Image

This car is MIA along with many others at least we know who has this car's sisters....

#154 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 13:07

Originally posted by Quixotic
Just found this on the Web. I have noticed this car popping up and down on places like EBAY over the last couple of years.

The car is described as a Phantom Formula Vee. The advertising Blurb by the current owner is priceless.....

Up for sale is this fantastic racer. This professionally built car is all Australian made and features a unique chassis with a fiberglass and aluminum body. The engine is a 1200cc VW balanced and blueprinted. The front and rear suspension are VW. New brake cylinders and braided lines have been fitted, Air suspension, 6 Point racing harness, spare wheels with other spares. This is your opportunity to start your racing career in a highly exciting and competitive class. This car continually finished at the front of the field and is ready to race, a light weight trailer is included. With the right driver this car could run at the front of it class again.
If required, I can help to arrange transport at buyers cost.
Please ask any questions before purchasing.
IF YOU PURSHASE THIS RACE CAR IT COMES "AS IS".

By the look of the car it is something from the early 80s, possible late 70s.

Can anyone tell me about it?

Regards,

John

Here they are the Phantom's, nice cars but not Historic yet

This one was built in 1990.
http://www.oztion.co...34&tid=12093906

and this one I don't know yet
http://www.swapace.c...antom_Race_Car/

#155 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 13:23

Originally posted by classicvee
...... Col Merz also tried his Rennmax Mk 1 (his original 69/70 era car) in 1600 supercharged form.

Speaking to Colin Merz the other day about his ex Bernie Cashin Mako (ie what colour it was etc etc). While chatting about that he mentioned he ran the supercharger on it with 1200cc engine (not sure if it's same car mentioned by Steve). He said he did it because he wanted to enter a Formula Libre race at Warwick Farm because the Vees weren't racing, so he got the Mako log booked seperately as a Formula Libre, bolted the supercharger on still using the 28 PCI carbie. Colin be sensible went out to Oran Park to practice before doing the race meeting but the supercharger pressurised the crankcase and the thing spewed too much oil out even for a Vee, so it didn't actually race at Warwick Farm, but he did say the car was a lot fast ....... all very interesting.

Regards,

Ian Lee

#156 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:20

For those Vee enthusiasts:

- Who wish to be able to tell the difference between a Stag, an Elfin Mk1, a Nimbus and a Lambco or maybe between an Elfin NG & a Spectre.
- Who want to learn the wonderous dark mysteries of correct adjusting drum brakes.
- Who just want to learn more about older Formula Vees!

There is an event for you this weekend in Melbourne ......

The Historic Formula Vee Association of Australia (HFVAA) is holding a "Shed Day" in Victoria, which is open to anyone interested in Historic Formula Vee.

You can bring your car along to:

- Have it checked for historic compliance.
- Get some advice and tips on getting it all together.

or just come along for a chat and something to eat and drink with people who are interested in Historic Formula Vee.

The Shed Day is being held at:

John Dean's Workshop
Factory 10, 5 Edelmaier Street
Bayswater, VIC

Date: 1st March 2009
Time: 10.30am to 4pm

Please confirm if you wish to come along with
Geoff Kelly
Phone: 03 9706 2593
Email: the4kellys@dodo.com.au

Regards,

Ian Lee
Secretary, Historic Formula Vee Association of Australia
Email: secretary@historicveeaustralia.com

#157 stevenormoyle

stevenormoyle

• 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:42

Originally posted by Jacer
The concepts undercar effects had the tripple advantage in the rain of a little extra downforce ( a point not lost even today with our cars), a substantial amount of weight over the front wheels with the driver 12" forward and the talents of Mr McCombie driving the two former points. If I was to be asked after 26 years vee experience who I had the most confidence in 'keeping the foot in' regardless of how out of control the car in front seemed to be it would be Greg. That's twice national champion Steven David in the photo driving the '82 before he destroyed it against the concrete wall exiting the Amaroo loop in it's first year. It lead to him and dad Bob building the Commando and winning the '85 and '90 nationals. Where is McCombie anyway, I thought he joined the group!

Ah the Concept - I remember it well! By the time I got into Vees Greg McCombie had sold all the Concepts (were there two or three?) but I remember racing against a guy called Sergio Lavermicoca in one of the 'ground effects' Concepts and another guy in the later model GS83 (a better car, without the sidepods). It's true, they were absolutely unbeatable in the corners, but not so fast on the straights. I'm no engineer, but I think it was just the forward weight distribution that made them handle so well, and the upright position of the driver was what made them so slow on the straights. I don't think ground effects had much to do with it. From memory I beat Sergio only once, and it had nothing to do with driver skill. It was only due to the fact that his Concept would lose so much on the straights that he couldn't even get into the slipstream, and could never get close enough to me going into a corner to have a go (but would be all over me as we exited). I also remember the Frank Adamson car from that time, and I remember him buying it from John Psaltis. From memory, when Psaltis raced the car, it had the phrase 'prepared by R Phuckitt' painted on the side.

#158 Ron B.

Ron B.

• 156 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:53

A cousin came to Australia in the 1970's from NZ to live in Sydney and bought with him some Formula Vee's and Formula Fords he had built himself. At the risk of getting some flak from family who may some day read this,this guy was particularly unsavaoury character and I don't know if his cars were ever raced. They were badged "valor' or possibly "Valour" . The quality of the construction was pretty good ,and i actually worked for him in the early 70's making aircleaners for the Fiat 125 T .but never got paid....
It would be interesting if to know if the cars were ever raced or any news of their fate. I do have a picture of one his Vee's somewhere.

#159 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 13:21

Originally posted by stevenormoyle Ah the Concept - I remember it well! By the time I got into Vees Greg McCombie had sold all the Concepts (were there two or three?)

GS82 4 raced - 3 still exist, I know where two of them are (the MIA is on page one of the post)
GS83 1 made - still exists after being straightened.
FVG88 3 raced + 1 chassis made. 3 exist if you count the chassis that basically is there to replace the one Greg bent at Calder.

Okay I'm a Concept tragic

Originally posted by stevenormoyle I also remember the Frank Adamson car from that time, and I remember him buying it from John Psaltis. From memory, when Psaltis raced the car, it had the phrase 'prepared by R Phuckitt' painted on the side.

Spoke to Peter and Frank in the last week trying to track down the Talyor Vee my Dad owned, neither remember which way it went. I asked Frank about his NG, he said his old man sold it for him when he was overseas .... and it is currently MIA.

Don't think it's here though although it could be.
http://www.sportscar.../aussiebarnfind
BTW any ideas who's shed is this ?

Taking of MIA who's is/was this Malmark
Posted Image
http://www.sportscar...tions/?ID=32638
It didn't sell at auction for $9,500 in 2004 at the AGP.

Regards,

Ian

Advertisement

#160 Bowinracer

Bowinracer

• 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:48

Peter I had the Wirra from 1980 to about 1984ish. I knew of it living in Bathurst in about 1990. I heard it had a rotary and slicks fitted around 95 and the last story I had it living somewhere around Tamworth as a Vee again. The log book for the NG is an interesting one. The Frank Adamson chassis came from John Psaltis who I thought Bought it from a Peter Houston. The interesting part was aprox 2 years ago a guy came in for a talk about historic Formula Vee who raced in the late 70's. It was Peter Moore who still has his NG that he crashed in 1979. He did the old got married, bought house, had kids thing but kept the Elfin.He said that he was a mate of Peter's and bought the NG after racing and going broke in England. Was there two NG's that you owned Peter?

Funny you should say that. I bought a mk2 Rennmax off John Psaltis about 10 years ago now....

#161 Bowinracer

Bowinracer

• 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:58

Again funny what discussions bring up. I was talking to Frank Kleining the other day about the Ferriers. The Mako that we had was owned by Kim Ferrier and others like Steve Cramp. He said that he had found a mako up the coast that was owned by Kim Ferrier and had photos of the log book. Sure enough It was owned by Kim Ferrier but wasn't the Mako that we had so it would seem the she had owned two. Don't remember Mark in the Tripps log book but really didn't pay too much attention to the names in it then. The Folks bought the Tripps off Steve Page around 1980/81 with a Mk 1 Rennmax body fitted to it. Ian is the Phil Lewis Mk2 Rennmax the one that is really the ex Chris Lewis one or has he found another or is it the Re chassised Car that Bernie Cashin has that is looking for the log book.

My dad owns the ferrier car...

#162 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 13:18

Hi,

Originally posted by Bowinracer
Funny you should say that. I bought a mk2 Rennmax off John Psaltis about 10 years ago now....

I assume you've sold it on since ?

My dad owns the ferrier car...

Which Ferrier car does your dad own ? The Mako MkI, Tripps or Renmerk ?

Regards,

Ian

#163 Bowinracer

Bowinracer

• 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 23:08

Hi Ian

Nope. Still own it. It is the Mk1 mako.

Cheers.

Damien

#164 Bowinracer

Bowinracer

• 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 23:32

This might interest you.

http://cgi.ebay.com....b...A1|240:1318

Damien

#165 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:25

This might interest you.

http://cgi.ebay.com....b...A1|240:1318

Damien

Little problem with that car .... first up no log book (but working on that, in contact with one previous owner so far), never let a potential Historic Vee go to waster.

Then the current price of $5000 is a bit much as the engine is not really useful for Historic Vee + the log book/history issue.

Just as a matter of interest photos of what lie beneath. Now you know why the CMSs were cheap and refered to a flying bed frames ..... still can't be too bad 28 were made.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#166 Jacer

Jacer

• 206 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:52

I find that absolutely amazing!!!!!! 28 made also, i bet they did it in a day too.

#167 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:39

Hi DC,

Well the good book "25th Aniversary Magazine" puts Peter Ward building 9 copies called C.M.S. and doesn't quote how many Graham Cullen built. I can't remember where I heard 28 but it sticks in the memory...... it's possible.

The Spectre (Ward & Cashin) and NG Elfin (Cooper & Edmondson) count was over 30 each.

As you said it would take no time to build one and if you bent it you'd be better off buying another one rather than attempting to straighten it.

Regards,

Ian

#168 Bowinracer

Bowinracer

• 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:43

Thats scary. :eek: I honestly feel safe in my Bowin and Rennmax now compared to that. how much are tyres for vees now?

#169 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:46

See http://www.fvee.org.au/dunlop.html and ring and ask.

In Historic Formula Vee we don't buy new tyres (they'd be wasted) ....... we use the best of the used rubber from the Category 1 guys (ie worn but not stuffed).

BTW Mako Mk I chassis in original form.

Posted Image

Regards,

Ian

#170 Bowinracer

Bowinracer

• 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:53

I need some for my car. still have the old bridgestones. long time ago now, keen to get my car out again now since bein on here :)

Damien

#171 Bowinracer

Bowinracer

• 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:59

It looks very different to original. It i believe is mako/Standfast but it is definately a Mako in original log book. long story if you have time

Damien

#172 Bowinracer

Bowinracer

• 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:04

Hi Ian. also a vee on elfin site, #EP012. Kieth Poole's car. Its another.

#173 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:07

Hi Ian. also a vee on elfin site, #EP012. Kieth Poole's car. Its another.

Hi Damien if it's got "chequer57" on the ad it's been posted by me ;) see www.fvee.org.au/classifieds

EP012/13 (there are two EP012's) was first raced in 1986 so strictly speaking it's not a walk up starter for C of D (if it's history can be established). It would get in to Group V(b) on the basis of being a run on from EP01-04 that were all made in 1984.

The cut off date for Group Vb is 31 Dec 1985.

BTW: EP stands for Tony Edmondson/Jon Porter who took over running Elfin for Don Elliot after he bought the company in 1984.

#174 Jacer

Jacer

• 206 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 00:14

I don't think you would need to worry about straightening or replacement if you bent it as you would probably be dead.

Originally posted by chequer57
Hi DC,

Well the good book "25th Aniversary Magazine" puts Peter Ward building 9 copies called C.M.S. and doesn't quote how many Graham Cullen built. I can't remember where I heard 28 but it sticks in the memory...... it's possible.

The Spectre (Ward & Cashin) and NG Elfin (Cooper & Edmondson) count was over 30 each.

As you said it would take no time to build one and if you bent it you'd be better off buying another one rather than attempting to straighten it.

Regards,

Ian

#175 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 23:42

Okay to get this topic going again Ron Sutherland from Victoria send me a few pics of cars from 1979 from Calder (along with some TV coverage from the 70's from Sandown & PI & 80's from Calder & Sandown) there were two cars that looked interesting but I couldn't identify them.
Posted Image
The 33 looks to have NSW advertising on it; any ideas ?

#176 stevenormoyle

stevenormoyle

• 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 23:49

I think it's a Mako.

I have a request, also. Can any one help me in tracking down copies of race result sheets from NSW Vee racing in the years 1983, '84 and '85? This would be the Oran Park and Amaroo open meetings, and the AARC Amaroo and NSWRRC Oran Park meetings. I did have them but seem to have lost them.

#177 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 23:56

Thanks Steve, must have been the first of Frank's MkII cars and later he changed the nose and the tail. I had a close look at the rear suspension and it seems to be torsion bar so that pretty much confirms it.

The thing behind it ???? I may have to ask Andy Fischer about that.

With regards to race results from 84 & 85 please include me on that email if you get them.

Regards,

Ian Lee

PS: Steve, I do know who owns your old Spectre too if you are interested.

#178 Jacer

Jacer

• 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:20

It's Frank Kleinig in Mako mk2 #1 . He showed me photos of that bodywork outside the factory at Girraween. Funny he said it never hit the track. I'm dynoing tonight I'll bring it up with him.
Steve I've still got most of the results from 'our' time in Vee's. I found them a few months back serching for something else. They are from mid 83 onwards,most of 84 and 85 including the 85 Nationals at OP GP. Good memories also of those AARC meets where we first had the chance to win races. They are all on A4 sheets, if you want to copy them your more than welcome.
DC

#179 stevenormoyle

stevenormoyle

• 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:45

David, that would be brilliant! Let me know what I should do, whether you're happy for me to borrow and photocopy them, or do them yourself. The stupid thing is that I kept my ones and put them in a safe place, but now I just can't find them and have basically given up.

On that Mako, I'm sure I've seen that body style race a few other times. It was in the late 70s, presumably the first of Frank's later Makos.

Advertisement

#180 Jacer

Jacer

• 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:21

Hey Steve with you in the publishing business I'm more than happy for you to copy whatever you want. I've got some old photos from the AARC days as well, not many but a few. There's a good one of me leading Mitch McDonald from Peter Warren with you along side Peter Verheyen and another 6 or 7 cars nose to tail after that taken from under the press room. Not sure of the year but you've got #1 on the Spectre in it's orange phase of life. There's another with you leading Mitch, me third going up the hill. Chequer 57 (Ian) keeps threatening to scan some for his data base.
Frank wasn't there tonight but I remember him saying that he changed the bodywork because it was so ugly (in his words) . I believe it was all aluminium and all got thrown out on his move from Girraween to MacGraths Hill after 20 plus years of living above the office down there. The car is still owned by the second owner David Smith who has had it since 1983 I think.

#181 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:36

Hi DC,

I'm quite happy for Steve to scan them as long as I get a copy :D and yes it has been remis of me not to get out your way and scan them. Fatherhood for me is a full time business I didn't even get out the ECR last meeting and live 7km from the joint.

DJ keeps threatening to sell the Mako MkII but last time I sent someone to have a look at it, he asked for $10k for it and thus DJ still owns it.

#182 Jacer

Jacer

• 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:54

Ah yes, a bit like my old Spectre. The trouble with buying an old Vee that ran towards the front of the field over a 10 to 15 year period is that it was probably continually updated and thus a lot of work to get back to authenticity. The Mako is a beautifull Corcoran resto effort with water jet cut pedals, billet alloy brackets and tig welded stainless exhaust but it bares little resemblance to 1979. What is the saying "a rock and a hard place"

#183 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:23

It only needs to look like an 1985 version not 1979, but I get your point.

#184 stevenormoyle

stevenormoyle

• 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 22:24

I remember when David Smith had that Mako in 1983 (although I think it actually was 84). It was yellow then; I think it might have been the car Peter Radtke ran but I can't remember. I can't believe he still owns it. As for the scans/copies of the results, absolutely fantastic. I'd also like to get copies of those photos too - I know exactly when they were, and I don't have anything much from that period. I am after all this stuff as I have a little writing 'project' going at the moment which may turn into something quite large a little way down the track. I have facilities here to scan photos to original standard (it's a proper publishing standard scanner) and can do copies for you as well.

As for my old Spectre, as Homer Simpson once said when someone mentioned the internet - "Is that thing still around?" I don't know much of the history of that car after Dave Issacs sold it, except that Norm Azar had much more success with it than I ever had. Would love to know what's happened to it. It was a really great little car, and Bernie Cashin did a teriffic job to build those things so well and sell them so cheaply at the time (mine cost $1100 in 1983, minus VW parts, body and fuel tank).

#185 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:09

Hi Steve,

Here it is the ownership history of the Spectre haven't got the dates but most you can pretty much work out the later one by putting the names into Google and seeing what Natsoft brings back.

NORMOYLE Steve
ISSACS David
AZAR Norm
CHIVAS Ian
FIRTH Glenn
BOWKER Sion
WOOD Steve (leased out car to a few people).
WALTERS Kevin

The photo below I think Dylan Thomas was driving it at Eastern Creek.
Posted Image

Regards,

Ian Lee

#186 Wirra

Wirra

• 911 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:10

Originally posted by stevenormoyle
... so cheaply at the time (mine cost $1100 in 1983, minus VW parts, body and fuel tank).

Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here (in front of our PCs) drinking Ch√Ęteau de Chassela discussing the price of Vees. As one of the four Yorkshiremen said, '"Looksury." When we built the Wirra (circa 1972) I paid a whopping $90 for a complete unregistered 40HP Beetle.

"And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you."

#187 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:23

Originally posted by Wirra
(circa 1972) I paid a whopping $90 for a complete unregistered 40HP Beetle.

With the wonders of the PC I can can calculate that:

$90 in 1972 is equivalent to $750 in 2009 and
$1100 in 1983 is equivalent to $2860 in 2009

jeez +15% inflation in 74 & 75 what were you guys doing ?

Edited by chequer57, 10 July 2009 - 14:18.

#188 stevenormoyle

stevenormoyle

• 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:11

(circa 1972) I paid a whopping $90 for a complete unregistered 40HP Beetle.

I know, who'd have thought. What it does mean is that I am getting old. As for old Beetles, I remember paying $35 for an unregistered 40HP Beetle in about 1982. It was mechanically complete but had no bonnet, botlid, doors or interior. The seats were gone, so I used a five gallon drum as a seat so I could drive it home from Parramatta to Guildford about 6am one Sunday morning. I was glad when I completed the journey without stumbling upon the police. If you got caught doing this in today's more enlightened Australia you'd probably lose your licence on the spot, be fined thousands of dollars and be pilloried as a some kind of menace to society.

#189 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:22

Steve, Ensuring a Volkwagen was taken off the road (for good) you probably saved a life.

#190 stevenormoyle

stevenormoyle

• 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:40

Originally posted by chequer57
Hi Steve,

Here it is the ownership history of the Spectre haven't got the dates but most you can pretty much work out the later one by putting the names into Google and seeing what Natsoft brings back.

NORMOYLE Steve
ISSACS David
AZAR Norm
CHIVAS Ian
FIRTH Glenn
BOWKER Sion
WOOD Steve (leased out car to a few people).
WALTERS Kevin

The photo below I think Dylan Thomas was driving it at Eastern Creek.
Posted Image

Regards,

Ian Lee

Thanks Ian - what a nice looking car! From the photo it almost looks like it's still got the exhaust system I made for it (although surely that can't be true) and the engine looks as though it's tilting down at the front too much, which was how it was orginally as I made a mistake when making the front engine mount. Mind you, all of that is probably different now; it's probably had that many shunts that it's now the full grandfather's axe after more than 20 years. I'm glad it's given so much service over the years, and it shows what a good class FV is in terms of vehicle longevity. If I paid basically about $1500 for a complete new rolling chassis back in the day, then it equates to les than $100 per year of racing in terms of the original cost of the car. Sort of, if that makes sense. I was never good at maths.

#191 Jacer

Jacer

• 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:58

I remember when David Smith had that Mako in 1983 (although I think it actually was 84). It was yellow then; I think it might have been the car Peter Radtke ran but I can't remember.

David Smith was the second owner of the original Kleinig Mk2 version mako still in molybond yellow. The second Radtke chassis was for sale about a year ago with no log book ( long story that eh Ian!) Don't remember what happened to the first Radtke Mako after Gary Rigg had it. Mr Radtke is still around and living in Qld. There was a few old faces at the 2007 nationals at Morgan Park. Ran into Ken and Len taylor (yeah the old bugger is still around). Radtke was there, Bernie Cashin of coarse as was Keith Franks. He was at the last round of the nsw state series at Eastern Creek with Bernie looking at buying an MX5 to have a run again. Not too sure though how someone of his length would fit in something that size.

#192 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:41

Yeah DC I'm making a habit of not talking too much about log books at the moment, I find I know too much.

The other Radke owned Mako from 1983 went something like this

Peter RADTKE
Shane MC NULTY
Rodney WRIGHT
Terry BENNETT
Kevin MUNDY
Bruce SCOTT
.... I have one more name but I have to confirm it yet.

Posted Image
The pic is Bruce Scott driving it with Manfred following in the Comando and behind him Stephen Shedden in the Spectre (the picture is from Bruce's Flikr page).

Regards,

Ian

#193 stevenormoyle

stevenormoyle

• 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 21:41

David Smith was the second owner of the original Kleinig Mk2 version mako still in molybond yellow. The second Radtke chassis was for sale about a year ago with no log book ( long story that eh Ian!) Don't remember what happened to the first Radtke Mako after Gary Rigg had it. Mr Radtke is still around and living in Qld. There was a few old faces at the 2007 nationals at Morgan Park. Ran into Ken and Len taylor (yeah the old bugger is still around). Radtke was there, Bernie Cashin of coarse as was Keith Franks. He was at the last round of the nsw state series at Eastern Creek with Bernie looking at buying an MX5 to have a run again. Not too sure though how someone of his length would fit in something that size.

I was only thinking about Ken and Len Taylor (he must be over 100 now!) a couple of days ago when I drove past their old place at Birrong.

That's right about the Makos, I think - I remember McNulty had one of the Makos but I thought that was Garry Rigg's car. Before he got the Mako Garry had that nice looking car Robin Bennett used to own, and McNulty also updated from some old clunker. I haven't seen McNulty in about 400 years but these days I do ocean swimming races and I noticed his name in the results of one race I did earlier this year. It's gotta be the same guy. Hey David, can you drop me an email re the 83-85 results? I think I've still got your email address, but mine is editorial@chevron.com.au

#194 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 612 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:27

Oh, fer gossake! How small is the world?

I went to school with Bruce Scott! I can contact him pretty easily if needed, in case anyone thinks he might have the log book.

He should probably be on here too - I'll give him a heads-up.

Bruce Moxon

#195 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:35

Hi Bruce,

I've already contacted Bruce Scott he know's what happened to the car after he sold it. With regards what ultimately what happened to the car I have some one working on it at the moment....

Maybe we can get Bruce back into a Historic Vee :)

Regards,

Ian Lee

#196 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 15:00

I'm taking a strange tack here; anyone remember who's cars were harvested to become Electric Vee's that Les Puklowski and co built in the mid 90's

One was the aforementioned Bruce Scott Mako, there was a Stag/Elfin based car and the Strathfield Radios Polar PJV from memory.

Does anyone remember who's Stag or Elfin that was, (most of know who car it is now). Speaking to Les recently he can't remember who he bought it off.

Regards,

Ian Lee

#197 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,085 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 21:54

I know, who'd have thought. What it does mean is that I am getting old. As for old Beetles, I remember paying $35 for an unregistered 40HP Beetle in about 1982. It was mechanically complete but had no bonnet, botlid, doors or interior. The seats were gone, so I used a five gallon drum as a seat so I could drive it home from Parramatta to Guildford about 6am one Sunday morning. I was glad when I completed the journey without stumbling upon the police. If you got caught doing this in today's more enlightened Australia you'd probably lose your licence on the spot, be fined thousands of dollars and be pilloried as a some kind of menace to society.

A couple of points here, Steve...

First, Sunday morning is the desirable time to try something like this, and I'm sure you must have known that. Quiet on the roads, the police had their busy time Saturday night and they're somewhat lacking in presence.

Second, you would have known when you got your licence about the penalty for driving an unregistered and uninsured car: immediate loss of licence in NSW (not the case in Queensland, apparently), I don't think that's changed since I started to drive.

Err... did you wear a safety belt?

#198 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:12

:D Hi just to wake all the TNF'ers up for those who haven't seen the coverage the HFVAA have on DVD this is a great insite into
battles fought out at Amaroo by Vees in the 70's and 80's

The coverage isn't stictly in the Historic Period but great to watch.

Amaroo Park Formula Vee 1987 Part 1 & 2

Edited by chequer57, 15 May 2009 - 02:14.

#199 Wirra

Wirra

• 911 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:30

... a great insite into battles fought out at Amaroo by Vees in the 70's and 80's...

In the late 70s I borrowed the commercial tapes from the ARDC (1" format IIRC) and through work I was able to transfer them to VHS. I'm not exactly sure but I have about half a dozen races from 76 & 77. I believe some members are keen on this type of thing and if copies are not already available then anyone interested should send me an email.

Advertisement

#200 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 612 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:33

In the late 70s I borrowed the commercial tapes from the ARDC (1" format IIRC) and through work I was able to transfer them to VHS. I'm not exactly sure but I have about half a dozen races from 76 & 77. I believe some members are keen on this type of thing and if copies are not already available then anyone interested should send me an email.

God yes!

Please. Did you copy any of the other races from those telecasts while you were about it?

The TV station somewhat unwisely (in my humble opinion) tossed all their tapes in the bin some years ago. Not just the racing, but dramas, game shows, news, footy games and I don't know what-all. There's a special level of Hell for those who destroy history.

Bruce Moxon