Photo

Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia

• Please log in to reply
1236 replies to this topic

#201 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:54

...game shows... There's a special level of Hell for those who destroy history...

1970s game shows! Bruce, you need professional help!

I'm pretty sure Gavin Green would have a good library of tapes supplied by Evan. I've not had contact with him for some time but was tied up with a major British car manufacturer at one stage.

Advertisement

#202 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 585 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:59

1970s game shows! Bruce, you need professional help!

I'm pretty sure Gavin Green would have a good library of tapes supplied by Evan. I've not had contact with him for some time but was tied up with a major British car manufacturer at one stage.

They have a place in history, that's all.

Forgot about Gavin. As long as he has the stuff. Evan's widow has tossed out so much of Evan's memorabilia, it's said. It's not of interest to her so out it goes. Notebooks, trophies, photos, books, results...

Grrrr

Moxo

#203 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:44

A Google search shows that 'young Gavin' (Evan's term) has done quite well for himself in British motoring journalism, including a stint as editor of Car Magazine. You should be able to contact him there.

Throwing things out - My brother, who passed away 10 years ago, collected just about every race program from Mt Druitt, Bathurst, Catalina, etc; the very first issues of RCN that were handed out at Warwick Farm; pit passes from the 50s & 60s, scrapbooks; he also had photo albums and loads of memorabilia. Some time back I asked my sister-in-law where they were and she told me that after hanging onto it for a few years it all when out for a council pick-up. It gets even worse... he had the complete set of Autobobile Year, right from #1. It all went!

Edited by Wirra, 18 May 2009 - 12:49.

#204 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 22:23

Surely she knew someone that wanted them?

I would have crawled over broken bottles for the early RCNs!

#205 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,022 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:20

Not every one like motor racing RAY, you of all people should know that.

#206 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:14

The Historic Vee Website has just been given a spruce up (thanks to Matt Wilson of The Other Dimension]

http://www.historicveeaustralia.com

I'll try to keep the old things stored on the site somewhere where they can be found.

Regards,

Ian Lee

#207 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 14:45

This might be a good opportunity to ask...

How badly rusted is the chassis of Alan Goldsmith's GAS Vee?

Hi Ray,

You can now find out John Holmes is selling it for $2500
Chassis plus suspension parts wiring + log books + other bits
ex Alan Goldsmith 14-5-76
Dennis Doyle 13-2-78
Damon Beck,1-2-81
Brian Selby, 23-6-81
Peter Williamson 18-4-84
John Holmes 4-02

He's also selling his running GAS Vee with log books for $7950.
ex James Evans
Ray Johnstone
Peter Williamson
Steve Cramp
John Williams 28-10-93
Warrick Hutton 31-1-94
Richard Buttrose 11-2-97 (now enjoying HMS hospitality)
Mark Sampson 8-9-97
Lindsay Smith 19-4-02
John Holmes 10-11-04

His daughter wedding must be very expensive, I was chatting to him for too long today (got into trouble from the boss and the wife).

Regards,

Ian

#208 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 23:55

You might e.mail (see address below) me his phone number...

I wouldn't mind catching up with him when I'm in Toowoomba some time.

#209 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:25

....The Tripps was another car owned by the family at one stage. I was told at one meeting the scrutineers told Eno to repaint it as it was a horrible mat finish that looked terrible. So he did in the same colour and finish! I still have some colour pictures of it somewhere in it's original body and colours.....

Hi David another contact, spoke to the current owner of the Tripps Vee today, he says he may be selling it soon, he has only used for sprints at QR recently.

Regards,

Ian

Edited by chequer57, 22 May 2009 - 08:26.

#210 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:52

So many memories...

Enno and Udo, with Udo always playing the chauffeur because Enno didn't want to chance losing his licence so he couldn't race!

What did they do? Plasterers, I think. And their great association with that grand old man of race car preparation, Kevin Carrad. I miss that bloke!

#211 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 16:25

..... Hey David, can you drop me an email re the 83-85 results? I think I've still got your email address, but mine is editorial@chevron.com.au

Hi Steve,

I put a few of the results I found in DC's collection from 85 on the Historic Vee Website www.historicveeaustralia.com
I've have to make some pages one day to link them to meaningful descriptions.

http://historicveeau...o_03-mar-85.pdf
http://historicveeau...o_07-jul-85.pdf
http://historicveeau...k_22-sep-85.pdf

Regards,

Ian Lee

Edited by chequer57, 04 June 2009 - 04:41.

#212 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 13:36

Just a note to let everyone know the original Alan Birmingham Ranger popped up recently and is now in the hands of Mark Alexander for restoration.

Edited by chequer57, 06 June 2009 - 13:36.

#213 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 20:02

Originally posted by chequer57
Just a note to let everyone know the original Alan Birmingham Ranger popped up recently and is now in the hands of Mark Alexander for restoration.

Alan Birmingham! That's the name!

He's the driver I was trying to think of who had old video tapes going back to when racing was first televised in Australia... or at least at Amaroo. On UTC format, originally.

Is he still around?

#214 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 21:32

Alan Birmingham! That's the name!...

One of my video tapes captures Alan hitting the bank in the Loop at Amaroo. I recall hearing that he passed away quite some time ago, possibly in the 80s.

Alan owned a collectable early Porsche so the value of his other items (videos) may have been recognised and gone to a good home. Talking with Kerry Calderbank he recalls that Roger Harris drove Alan's car and Alan Goldsmith, who I understand went motorbike racing, also knew him well. Alan B was friendly with Kim and Tina Bennet who did a fair bit of Vee Association administration - Tina I believe moved to Qld with Bernie Cashin. Just a few possible leads if you are trying to track down the tapes.

#215 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:06

One of my video tapes captures Alan hitting the bank in the Loop at Amaroo. I recall hearing that he passed away quite some time ago, possibly in the 80s.

Alan owned a collectable early Porsche so the value of his other items (videos) may have been recognised and gone to a good home. Talking with Kerry Calderbank he recalls that Roger Harris drove Alan's car and Alan Goldsmith, who I understand went motorbike racing, also knew him well. Alan B was friendly with Kim and Tina Bennet who did a fair bit of Vee Association administration - Tina I believe moved to Qld with Bernie Cashin. Just a few possible leads if you are trying to track down the tapes.

It was a while ago that Alan passed away. His race number '69' was taken out of use in NSW out of respect.

#216 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:23

It was a while ago that Alan passed away. His race number '69' was taken out of use in NSW out of respect.

If think that it be appropriate that when the Ranger is restored it caries the number 69 along with the silver and orange paint scheme.

BTW this Ranger is the same car that I was looking for details of earlier in the thread.
Posted Image
(Pic Nigel Hook driving the car in 1986)

For the record I think Alan Birmingham passed away around 1983 or 84 (going off the info on the log book transfer for this car to Nigel Hook) ... long before my time in Vees.

Regards,

Ian

Edited by chequer57, 07 June 2009 - 13:05.

#217 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:40

Some pics as purchased

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#218 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,389 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:40

Some pics as purchased

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now that is the sort of racecar that is an easy rest, it is all there and seems to have been stored well. Best of luck.

#219 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 14:07

Jacer - What you find when you aren't looking for it.

Just can across that photo of my Mk1 Elfin chassis - guess the testicle is safe 'til the next foolish bet! Like so many of my old photos and slides (and me) it's a bit the worse for age. Tried to PM but couldn't get the image to load. Hope there's something in it.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#220 GREENXC

GREENXC

• 41 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:59

For everyones entertainment and information.

My cars builder has been found, and once John Holmes pulls his finger out his arse and passes on the information he was given, I'll be beginning a full restoration to original specs for a gold C of D.

Car was built in 1981 by Alex Boekhorst in Victoria. Raced at Winton with a number of different drivers.

Racing number in 1981 was 55, and car was silver with I believe it was green stripe? I'd know if I had the pics.

Car was backed into the watertower at Winton at 90mph at some point, and the back end was rebuilt.

Thankyou to Ian Lee, John Holmes for the ground work and now holding me up for the last two weeks, and Alex for the wealth of info he passed on regarding his little project.

Some rule bending and truly ingenious features were built into this car, and I can't wait to push it to its limit in original specs to see what she's capable of.

I'll post some pictures of the car as it was originally if JH ever decides to hand over the pictures and docs Alex sent up for me.

Thanks

Jason Miller

#221 Daren W

Daren W

• 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 23:29

Hi I made the bodys for Greg McC at Concept FV Gladsville if it helps any one that is racing his cars or restoring one now Regards Daren

#222 Daren W

Daren W

• 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 00:35

Hi we built a new chassis redesigned the body shaved about 50 kgs of the old body and sat Greg lower in the car and raised the front of the cockpit up to push the air over his helmet to stop buffeting. Made the nose cones out of 1 layer of 225 gam mat we had spare noses in the trailer pre painted and sign written to replace the crushed ones when Greg hit your gearchange mid corner knocking you into neutral. I spent alot of time in the pits helping him. Our work shop was above Colin Bonds with his Caltex Oxo Sieras spent time down there as well. Regards Daren

#223 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:52

Hi I made the bodys for Greg McC at Concept FV Gladsville if it helps any one that is racing his cars or restoring one now Regards Daren

Daren how you would be considered a genious is to remember know where moulds GS82 are (ie the ground effect car).
We have a set moulds for the one off GS83. The FVG88's aren't Historic so my 88 is in storage for when it does become so. historic.

#224 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:06

Jacer - What you find when you aren't looking for it.

Just can across that photo of my Mk1 Elfin chassis - guess the testicle is safe 'til the next foolish bet! Like so many of my old photos and slides (and me) it's a bit the worse for age. Tried to PM but couldn't get the image to load. Hope there's something in it.

Posted Image

Thanks Peter. It's always good to be able to access some of this stuff. The hard part about Vees is that they have been accessable to 'the average man' and as such had a bit of 'interpretation' done to them over the years and it gets hard to find what is original. I figure if I have replace something on an Elfin 500 why not do it the way Gary Cooper intended! What vintage are the photos? You ran that in dark blue with Accurate engines on the nosecone or was that someone elses car? Teenage memory, just before getting involved.
DC
P.S thanks for the great photos over various topics Wirra!

#225 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:11

Hi we built a new chassis redesigned the body shaved about 50 kgs of the old body and sat Greg lower in the car and raised the front of the cockpit up to push the air over his helmet to stop buffeting. Made the nose cones out of 1 layer of 225 gam mat we had spare noses in the trailer pre painted and sign written to replace the crushed ones when Greg hit your gearchange mid corner knocking you into neutral. I spent alot of time in the pits helping him. Our work shop was above Colin Bonds with his Caltex Oxo Sieras spent time down there as well. Regards Daren

That was in the workshop of Damon's car yard on Victoria Road? What are you into now Daren?

#226 Daren W

Daren W

• 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:39

Hi Yes helped with Damons V was it a mk 1 Renmax ? At the moment no cars just helping Dad with the Cannan Morris and my 9 Douglas motorcycles form 1927 thru 1941 Regards Daren

#227 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:39

This weekend the Historic Vees are out in force at the HSRCA Historic Meeting at Oran Park.

Ten Historic Vees are entered and will be running with Group M & O race cars. The Vees from yesteryear taking on Oran Park GP layout include the gun cars of their time with names likes Elfin, Nota, Rennmax, Ranger, Nimbus, Stag, Venom & Moxon in the mix.

While not having the extra grunt and straight line speed of the M & O cars the Historic Vee brigade don’t miss out on an ounce of fun guiding their steeds to similar lap times with all that important extra rubber on the road.

So if you want to pop out and enjoy the fun, entry list and race program links are available on the “News” section of the Historic Formula Vee Association Website.

Our website is at www.historicveeaustralia.com

#228 cuffybert

cuffybert

• 15 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:24

I remember that Mk II rennmax. I used to live in Cranebrook, and I once bought a car off of him. the Rennax used to sit on the floor near his office.

HE told he would never sell it. He also said that it had not been raced for donkey's years.

Good, another old un out of the sheds and running again. Good work.

I've been really slack of late, I,ve just dug out some photos of the Rennmax that were taken when it arrived in Qld. As you can see it is aqua blue now but the original colour shown in the log book is red.Posted ImageIMG]http://i257.photobucket

#229 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:34

I've been really slack of late, I,ve just dug out some photos of the Rennmax that were taken when it arrived in Qld. As you can see it is aqua blue now but the original colour shown in the log book is red.

Hi Paul, I know you're running the Sprite this year but is the Rennmax going Yellow as per the Sprite, are you staying Aqua or are you going to go back to black as per one of the cars earlier colour schemes ie David Leikvold. Anyway I believe David is up in Queensland now days living in the Northern suburbs of Brisbane, you may want to have a chat with him if you're going for a C of D.

Regards,

Ian

Edited by chequer57, 02 July 2009 - 04:25.

#230 cuffybert

cuffybert

• 15 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:05

Hi Paul, I know you're running the Sprite this year but is the Rennmax going Yellow as per the Sprite, are you staying Aqua or are you going to go back to black as per one of the cars earlier colour schemes ie David Leikvold. Anyway I believe David is up in Queensland now days living in the Northern suburbs of Brisbane, you may want to have a chat with him if you're going for a C of D.

Regards,

Ian

G'day Ian,
Some very interesting bits of info there. It would be most helpfull to me if David Leikvold was here in Brisbane. I think the Rennmax will stay blue. Yellow is for Budgie only. I'll need another colour coordinated helmet and suit for the Vee. My way of helping the economy along.
Regards Paul

#231 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:50

Which Mk II Rennmax did a series of Catherine Wheels at the top of Amaroo in 1979? I'm not sure but I think Mark Penklis was driving. Was it rebuilt? I have it on tape but unfortunately not at hand.

#232 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:06

Which Mk II Rennmax did a series of Catherine Wheels at the top of Amaroo in 1979? I'm not sure but I think Mark Penklis was driving. Was it rebuilt? I have it on tape but unfortunately not at hand.

The Mark Perklis car is the car that Russell Green is selling at the moment, funnily enough I received an email today from Brain Spouster the owner of the car at the time talking about it to quote him in reference to the Russell Green's car:
"Just to fill in the missing bit I bought it from Bill Norton He was the 1st owner of the (blue) Mk2 Rennmax I Bought the car in Feb 1979 . Rebuilt & repainted the car in White with a Blue/Red stripe
Mark Penklis was involved in a nasty accident at the top of the hill at Amaroo Pk The car was rebuilt / race and then sold to Russell Green"

In reference to Paul car the info Glenn Moulds has given me is as follows:
David Leikvold, Gavin McNeilage, David Smith, Paul Barrett, Robert White & Paul Cuthbert

BTW Paul, I'll send you what I have as David Leikvold contact details offline.

#233 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:16

Hi, I had some sad information passed onto me today. Ex Vee racer Frank Fowler passed away today aged 64yrs he drove the Finnese Vee in the 70s at Oran Park and Amaroo Park.
Posted Image
Finnese Vee Entering the Loop at Amaroo

Edited by chequer57, 03 July 2009 - 11:17.

#234 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:32

I was going through a series of programs the other day and was amazed how nearly every Elfin was kept track of but also shocked to realise how many car just go missing (or go bush).

Makes such as Venom, Geneer, Ballantyne, Lambco, Nota seem to be all well represented in the 70 and early 80's then pffft dissappear as the programs fill with Spectres, Rennmax MkII and Mako Mk II's.

While I've been able to jag a few "chassis body left overs" around the time everyone built a Jacer/Sabre kit I don't seem to be able to do similar with the 70's cars.

As always if you have a lead on a car shoot me an email and I'll see what I can find out about it.

In the last few weeks we found one of the 4 Ballantyne Vees (it's now a 1600cc Hill Climb car) and tracked down Les Bristol to sort out the ownership situation of the ex Jim Gracie Standfast Vee in Victoria.

A few pics....

Ballantyne before
Posted Image

Ballantyne after
Posted Image

ex Jim Gracie Standfast awaiting ownership determination
Posted Image
Jim changed the body in the early 70's

Edited by chequer57, 10 July 2009 - 02:50.

#235 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 399 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 00:12

Wow,

I have been away with the Army for quite a while and I have not been able to log on. Interest really does seem to be growing. This is good news.

I hope the Historic Vee movement maintains its momentum.

Regards,

John Swensen

#236 rms

rms

• 106 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:53

Chequer57

In the 'before' Ballantyne pic, there is Glyn in the foreground car, John in the blue hat, and it is a bit difficult to pick but I think it is Max Coulter in the other white car.
The blue car behind is Max's Mako Vee.
As we all hung out together, I should be lurking somewhere around there.

Erol

#237 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 22:02

I'm told this is a Geneer Mk II hiding is Tassie at the moment, so they do exist.

Posted Image

Talking of which the Geneer Vee's the one that was called the G Vee (build by Graeme Vaughan) is going to a new home for restoration.

Posted Image

Edited by chequer57, 16 July 2009 - 00:33.

#238 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:44

I know it’s a long time ago and I get things muddled but I don’t think Graeme Vaughan’s Vee (Gee Vee or GV?) was a Geneer – except for the body. Graeme ran a very quick Anglia (turbo I think) and then bought the fastest Vee around, Ralph Schofield’s (sp?) Mk I Elfin. Graeme totalled the Elfin first time out at Oran Park when he tried to rub guards with another car on the first corner of the first lap – old touring car habits die hard!

The surviving mechanicals were transferred to a new chassis built by Graeme’s Sydney mechanic – sorry the name escapes me – with a strong emphasis on safety including twin rollover bar supports and not the single support on the car pictured, but I don’t know that any more were made. I last heard of Graeme was 20+ years ago, he was retired and living in Darwin.

Edited by Wirra, 16 July 2009 - 14:09.

#239 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:45

I was speaking with Graeme this week he said he transferred the mechanicals from his bent Elfin to an unfinished Geneer chassis he bought from Victoria and Paul Corner helped hinm finish off project and made some changes the chassis and the body.

The single brace roll bar was done later when Gary Rigg owned the car and raised the roll bar.

Regards,

Ian

Advertisement

#240 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:01

Ian - thanks for the PM and the info above.

In those days many of our discussions took place at the Leppington Inn or the Dural Hotel (pre RBT) and I was usually sufficiently muddled the next morning let alone 30+ years later. I've just dug out this photo of the Mk I (Elfin 500) when Ralph Schofield raced it with Tibby Rose auto electrics sponsorship. I'm not sure who is second but the RCN race report mentions Richard Bailey in a Mako. IIRC Richard had some success but in a Mk I Rennmax, possibly ex Graham Engel?

My guess is this photo is '72-'73.
Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 16 July 2009 - 14:17.

#241 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 22:47

In those days many of our discussions took place at the Leppington Inn or the Dural Hotel (pre RBT) and I was usually sufficiently muddled the next morning let alone 30+ years later. I've just dug out this photo of the Mk I (Elfin 500) when Ralph Schofield raced it with Tibby Rose auto electrics sponsorship. I'm not sure who is second but the RCN race report mentions Richard Bailey in a Mako. IIRC Richard had some success but in a Mk I Rennmax, possibly ex Graham Engel?

Posted Image

Funny you know Peter, 10 years later when I started in the Wirra we painted it almost the exact same colour ( ford blaze blue). It was white when the family bought it off Wade Leach.

#242 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 22:53

Pretty sure Dick Bailey's Mk 1 Rennmax (they also had a Mk 2) wasn't ex-Engel...

I don't recall Dick in a Mako, but that's nothing unusual, I don't recall Ralph Schofield in a car that wasn't painted bronze!

One thing I do vaguely recall is Tibby Rose sponsoring a car. I remember it because he ripped me off substantially when I needed a generator rebuild for my Simca!

#243 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 23:12

July 22, 1973? Is that likely the meeting?

Schofield and Bailey diced all day in Elfin and Mako respectively... as reported by yours truly in RCN... the next meeting Schofield had the Laurie Campfield car, so that was probably the bronze one?

Now, what was the name of that hotel at Dural? And was it there in '73?

#244 Jacer

Jacer

• 202 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:35

Posted Image

Wirra, just looked at the continuation log book from the 'Wirra' which has it first log booked on the 13/7/73 so I suppose that rules out '72.
DC

#245 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:30

That seems to tie in with its first outing being the last ever open Warwick Farm (see list of entrants) and then Amaroo the following week.

Ray - Ralph's car in the photo is bronze - with a green nose.

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 17 July 2009 - 06:42.

#246 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:07

Maroon Mako .....

Now you've got me hunting for John Willoughby .... what can you tell me about him !!!
and was this his car ?

Posted Image

and was the Monach a Mako ?

Edited by chequer57, 17 July 2009 - 07:29.

#247 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,403 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:29

Hmmm... doesn't look bronze, but I'll accept that the bronze car had a green nose...

From what meeting is that entry list?

#248 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:11

.... what can you tell me about him !!!

I beat him!

Posted Image Posted Image

#249 chequer57

chequer57

• 266 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:17

Very cute :p the scans are a bit hard to read though.

#250 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,644 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:52

So my MJM raced at the last Farm meeting. :eek: And it was Orange Red and Green. :drunk: I would love to see some pics of that.