Photo

Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia

• Please log in to reply
1314 replies to this topic

#301 artracer

artracer

• 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 22:59

There are many factors, most of which are posted here. I guess in summary, the economy has had an obvious hit to begin with. The HSR pre Sebring event this year was thin on the ground for fans of IMSA GTP etc. When the $$$$ returns in strength, so will the grids, to an extent. But yes, age is catching up to man and machine. Lets support them while we still have them. For those of you with a slight leaning to the Stuutgart brand, I have a couple of galleries ot Rennsport II and III here http://www.art-racing.com It may help : )

Advertisement

#302 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 14:48

Busy two weeks regarding car sales in around Historic Formula Vees

Russell Green's Rennmax Mk II sold to Darren Ward (now Darren has two Rennmax Vees)
Eamonn Matthews Spectre 81 (deposit taken) from Alan Richies
Scott Herman Spectre 83 (part payment taken) unknown Victorian
Russell Graham's Daveric Mk IV 85 to Bob King (Paul King's Dad)
Paul Hambleton's Daveric Mk IV 84 to me !!

Jeez when I pick the car up I'll have to spend less time on the net and more time on the car.
BTW the wife knows I have another car now ....

Regards,

Ian

Edited by chequer57, 30 August 2009 - 23:33.

#303 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:31

Des Ian has a photo of me in the Wirra 'the car' with Mal driving your car behind coming out of the esses at Oran Park in 1983 ( I think). If you get a copy off Ian you can add that to the collection also.

Photo as promised
Posted Image

BTW David what's that thing behind you?

Edited by chequer57, 31 August 2009 - 06:36.

#304 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:44

Photo as promised
Posted Image

Thank Ian & David, will share the photo with Damian.

Des

#305 Jacer

Jacer

• 203 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:12

Photo as promised
Posted Image

Ian that's Ken Taylor in the ex Ratdcliffe(sp?) air-vac brakes, Riley driven allget. The high airscoop in the rear body had to be change due to body height changes or policing from CAMS. Mal is behind Ken and then the Mako that was discussed somewhere earlier, ex cramp, ferrier car. It came through the families hands as a chassis/ body when Stephen MacLaine used the mechanicals to build the first '88 concept. The Mako chassis/body was given to Dean Perkins younger brother Jason's mate from school who crewed for him when he started at 15 yrs old. Dean sold it to someone in the lower blue mountains about 15 years back and dissapeared from there.

#306 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,060 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:39

I had a share in a no-name Vee back in 1968/69 and haven't been involved since and i'm probaly stating the obvious but anyone with the spare time should check out the various 2nd hand Car Yards in the Capital Cities. Around 3 Years ago i helped a Friend look for a Car for his Daughter in Sydney, we went for the trawl up Parramatta Road and i noticed at the back of a Car Yard at Haberfield(it was on the RHS as you head towards Parra. near where Geoghegans Mustang was stored in the old wooden shed back in the 70's) two old Vees ,one with bodywork,one without ,they were both for sale,..."make an offer". Also there was another one at a Dealers near Auburn,on the right before you get to Silverwater Road.
Just a thought i had while reading this thread.

#307 moxonvee

moxonvee

• 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:10

Why do people put up with this crap?
The MJM will stay in the shed for a while longer.

Hi Catalina,

Yes the $660 does seem steep, but if you want to run the car in the main game, find a control manifold, new current tyres and still run at the back. At least we can run with cars of equal performance and enjoy ourselves.

If anyone comes down to see the vees run at historic meetings, particularly NSW (as that is all I can comment on personally) you will see a social occasion. We generally have a social BBQ on the Sunday for lunch.

See you at the track

Especially you Bruce..LOL

Paul

#308 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:43

Originally posted by moxonvee
.....Yes the $660 does seem steep.....

It doesn't seem steep, it is steep!

The fact that you need to do this and need to do that to be able to run in the 'main game' and that each step costs too much shows that the interests of the members of the CAMS are not being considered at all.

The simple fact is that CAMS is overcharging for this. They don't spend any more administrative time on CoDs than filing them or referring them to (volunteer run) committees for review. $660? And the owner does all the legwork.

catalina makes the point well... his car will stay in the shed whilever these levies are put on an owner wanting to go racing. Undoubtedly there are many like him.

#309 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:47

This whole debate on C of D's while an issue to Historic Vee should take it's own thread.

Maybe on http://forums.autosp...howtopic=113714

Edited by chequer57, 01 September 2009 - 09:53.

#310 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,728 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:53

This whole debate on C of D's while an issue to Historic Vee should take it's own thread.

I think a thread about "Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia" is the perfect place to discuss the costs of competing in Group V.

Or should I start a thread called "Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia and the costs in competing in Group V"

Edited by Catalina Park, 01 September 2009 - 09:56.

#311 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:55

I think a thread about "Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia" is the perfect place to discuss the costs of competing in Group V.

Or should I start a thread called "Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia and the costs in doing so"

Why limit discussion to Historic Formula Vees is more my thought.

#312 moxonvee

moxonvee

• 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:32

Or should I start a thread called "Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia and the costs in competing in Group V"

We all know that the $660 cost for a CofD has never been substantiated by CAMS. I have emails from a few years ago asking for what we get for the money, and it just went around in circles of those haloed halls of the CONFEDERATION. The only solice I got from handing my money over, is that my cars value went up by more than that after the Cof D was through.

As far as other costs of historics, they are less than of equal to any other racing. Before my vee, I ran karts, just the parts to blueprint my sons motor were $750. I just built a near new historic motor after a monumental blow up, it cost me $1200 all up with machine work and NEW pistons and barrels.So as far as costs go running the vee is a cheaper option.

I doesn't matter what we run the powers regulating the sport will have there hand in your pocket. It is unfortunate that the grass root runners subsidize the popular sectors of the sport.

Regards

Paul

#313 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 13:41

Daveric's must be flavour of the month this one is on ebay

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.com....em=170381500068

Looks like bidding has started.

Edited by chequer57, 12 September 2009 - 04:23.

#314 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:16

Daveric's must be flavour of the month this one is on ebay

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.com....em=170381500068

Looks like bidding has started.

Any photos, history of your Daveric, Ian?

#315 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:31

Any photos, history of your Daveric, Ian?

Hi Des,

I bought the Daveric off Paul Hambleton .... so the only pics I have is the ones Paul took.
I have to get down the Melbourn to pick it up.
Posted Image

The Daveric on ebay, Norm Vesty won the auction so the Vesty family now have three Vees, the Mako Mk, Nimbes & now the Daveric.

Regards,

Ian

Edited by chequer57, 18 September 2009 - 07:33.

#316 moxonvee

moxonvee

• 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:26

Hi all,

Just a note to inform all you wonderful people that yesterday(20th Sept) the first Historic Group V only race was held at Wakefield Park during the HSRCA race meeting.

It was a great spectacle, won by Greg Stott in a malmark elfin after a race long battle with Phil Lewis in a mark 2 renmax. The battle for third place between Mark Alexander in the granger and Ian Cutcher also in a mark 2 renmax was also a last lap thriller, with both heading up the hill side by side. Mark claimed the position by a short nose.

All drivers on the weekend put on a great show not holding up the faster group M & O cars but still puting on a great show. So well done.

Drivers on weekend, Greg Stott (Malmark Elfin), Phil Lewis (Renmax Mk2), Mark Alexander (Granger),Ian Cutcher (Renmax Mk2), Jeff Genge (Stag), Steve Batty (Nota) and Myself (Moxon).

Thanks must go the HSRCA for this opportunity at the 11th hour.

Regards

Paul English

Edited by moxonvee, 21 September 2009 - 10:28.

#317 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:52

Hi.

David Marsh is creating a little website detailing the history of the Daveric Vee (built by himself and brother Eric) at www.daveric.com.au.

Posted Image

The website is in it's early stages and David would love any information on where the "missing" Daverics are any details or photos of them in action.

Regards,

Ian Lee

Edited by chequer57, 27 September 2009 - 10:58.

#318 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 71 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 22:53

Bill Christie, of course!

I was trying to think of a name of someone with the Christian name 'Chris'... but now I understand why I couldn't.

Weren't the 'ears' also a part of the body that fulfilled the minimum body width requirement? Like the trailing arm 'covers' on the Mk 1?

Hi Folks, Just started to read the string again after a visit to Cuttsy the other day... The Mk2 Rennmax is actually Dick Bailey and was put together by Laurie Campfield who sat it on pole for the '75 nationals at Phillip Island. He landed in the tea trees on the oopening lap. I then bought the car from Dick & the rest is history. It was chassis #4 and now lives in WA.

#319 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 71 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 22:55

Starting to scan some negatives as well. I've got no idea who these cars and drivers are but it's Oran Park. More to come if people are interested.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Could be sponsored by AirVac Brake Services, i.e. David Radcliff (sp). Did he run a Vee?

This is the photo I meant to show, sorry a bit new to this!!

Advertisement

#320 Greg McCombie

Greg McCombie

• 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 00:15

Hi some pics of Concept formula V at the Gladesville factory and at Amaroo Park (thanks for the info Catalina Park) Regards Daren

Posted Image
Gregs GS83

Posted Image
Gregs GS83

Posted Image
Thats Greg with hair ! taking a photo on his belly of his GS83

Posted Image
Gregs GS83

Posted Image
Making the updated body for FVG88

Posted Image
Making the updated body for FVG88

Hi Dazzle!
Great to see these photos...got any more???
Yes the workshop was at Damon's yard

#321 Daren W

Daren W

• 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:44

Hi Dazzle!
Great to see these photos...got any more???
Yes the workshop was at Damon's yard

Hi Thats Thornie at your front right wheel Daren

#322 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:35

Barn finds ?

This I am told is a Phantom

Posted Image
Posted Image

#323 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:36

Some pics from Historic Sandown of Reg Gardner, Andrew Lord & Julian Fordham at Historic Sandown in their Historic Formula Vee Cars from www.sdpics.com

Reg Gardner - Nimbus Mk1

Andrew Lord - Stag

Julian Fordham - Elfin 500

Reg Gardner- Nimbus Mk1

Edited by chequer57, 12 November 2009 - 09:50.

#324 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:24

Originally posted by The Mad Postie
I'd like thank the gutless wonder who couldnt even stand on their own two feet to reply before reporting this to a moderator.....

.....I do not want to be involved in a forum or a sport that supports the likes of **** ******.....

I can personally guarantee you that nobody here supports people who behave in the manner you describe...

People who lie and cheat are a serious problem in the sport and in all walks of life, sucking the enthusiasm out of people, destroying their will and ambitions and creating havoc with their finances.

I have little doubt that someone will again edit your post. They may even delete your membership. But please don't think it's because they are 'supporting' anyone. They are merely protecting themselves from legal action.

#325 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:37

Just a bit of info relating to the posts that were removed that were originally posted by Jason Miller (The Mad Postie)

John H was sent information from Alex Boekhorst relating to the car that Jason has, I recently sent (about a month ago) on the behalf of the HFVAA John H an addressed prepaid express post envelope for John to forward the relevant documents to Jason. It would have been a case of post it and it's over, no misrepresentations, no issues.

So far nothing has happened in that regard, I can understand Jason & Alex Boekhorst's frustration (a log book for Alex's old car, a weigh in sheet and some photos being lost). So from the delight of finding the original identity his Vee it's understandable the disillusionment Jason has with that individual and his subsequent actions.

To put into context I would not be surprised if civil action was pursued by Jason and Alex in the near future just to prove a point and recover the relevant property.

Regards,

Ian Lee
Registrar, HFVAA

PS: As it appears Jason posts regarding his car have been deleted from this board follow the link below outlining the restoration of his car:
Subject: Now for something different. My 1981 Boekhorst Formula Vee

Edited by chequer57, 17 November 2009 - 11:43.

#326 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 22:34

Posted Image

Just trying to add a photo for the first time.

#327 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 22:38

And it seems to have worked.
Photo is of Leo Anthony (Fusinato) myself and Damian Ridgeway with the freshly restored Elfin in February this year. Leo owned the car from 1971 to 1973 when he sold it to Damian. Damian raced it until 1980 when he sold it to Mal Wilkinson. The car now has its COD and Historic Log Book and I'm looking forward to driving it a bit further than up and down my court.

Cheers
Des

#328 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 23:45

Posted Image

Some photos from Bryant Park Hillclimb last Saturday. A rather special collection of Historic Elfin Vees.
Cars featured are, the #1 chassis Elfin type 500 of Bill Roberts, the #3 chassis of Noel Bull and the #9 chassis of Barry Gibbons.
Also featured was the #1 chassis NG Elfin of Max Bonney.

#329 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 23:50

Posted Image

#330 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 00:47

Had any thoughts about maybe using the 'Hotlink for Forums (1)' line instead of the thumbnails, Des?

Looks like you're experimenting to get the pics full size, that's how you do it. Scroll down further and you'll find it.

#331 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 00:57

Had any thoughts about maybe using the 'Hotlink for Forums (1)' line instead of the thumbnails, Des?

Looks like you're experimenting to get the pics full size, that's how you do it. Scroll down further and you'll find it.

Thanks Ray, I'll give it a go.

Des

#332 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:02

Posted Image

#333 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:07

Posted Image

Thanks Ray, I could be dangerous now! The photo above is of the Elfin 500 owned by Barry Gibbons, previously by his father and driven by Jim Hutton. Chassis V669 August 1966 according to the Elfin register.

#334 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:21

Yep... pretty dangerous...

Some of Britto's cars could even sneak out of the woodwork!

#335 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:33

Yep... pretty dangerous...

Some of Britto's cars could even sneak out of the woodwork!

At Eastern Creek there were 3 of them 2 MkIIs (Phil & Cutch) and 1 MkI (Noel's) and if you want to extend the friendship, is Mark's Granger a Rennmax ?

#336 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:00

Never heard of a Granger...

Got pics, or is it already here?

#337 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:25

Never heard of a Granger...

Got pics, or is it already here?

Pictures of the Ranger will do they are further up the thread, chassis is very Rennmax MkI and the body fit is so good Bernie Heahnle uses/used a Ranger nose on his Rennmax.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by chequer57, 07 December 2009 - 08:39.

#338 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:09

Some old Formula Vee's get to have interesting lives, do we try and rescue them or let them enjoy it ?

Posted Image

Thanks to Des Piggot for pointing me towards the photo.

Edited by chequer57, 09 December 2009 - 05:11.

#339 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 612 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:19

Some old Formula Vee's get to have interesting lives, do we try and rescue them or let them enjoy it ?

Posted Image

Thanks to Des Piggot for pointing me towards the photo.

Ouch! Make it stop!

That's an Elfin crying out for a rescue. I suppose it is his car, but really....

Bruce Moxon

Advertisement

#340 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:45

Well, Garrie's not going to complain now...

But Britto would if it was one of his, I'm sure.

#341 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:32

The guy on the mud's driving style is similar to that of Greg McCombie though, he may have potential driving a Concept Vee.

#342 Jacer

Jacer

• 203 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 21:55

Ouch! Make it stop!

That's an Elfin crying out for a rescue. I suppose it is his car, but really....

Bruce Moxon

Intersesting photo.Do you know who's car it was Ian?
In the early 70's the folks and Mr McCombie used to lap dash their vees around the Amaroo park's dirt circuit, Mr McCombie probably honing his 'style' there.
I was told by someone that in the USA they used to run vees around the dirt track speedways in the 60's and 70's. Might explain the 4"ground clearance they always had.
Brings another thought to mind. If you were going to run any vee on dirt I cant think of anything worse than an NG style car with almost zero protection for the engine as the bottom of the chassis finished just rearward of the seat.
DC

#343 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 612 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:59

If you were going to run any vee on dirt I cant think of anything worse than an NG style car with almost zero protection for the engine as the bottom of the chassis finished just rearward of the seat.
DC

Good point David. But it's clay, not gravel, so it shouldn't be a big issue (sump protection, I mean).

And there might be a bash plate under there.

I remember someone buying an old Formula Ford and using that for dirt events. Shudder.

Bruce Moxon

#344 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 23:30

One of the photos of Vee's at Hume Weir

Posted Image

There are a few more on the Albury Wodonga Distict Car Club site http://www.awdcc.com.au/

#345 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,074 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 00:11

Oh yeah... what was that crazy car with the wing on the top torsion bar tube?

Wasn't that Gary Dubois?

#346 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:38

Oh yeah... what was that crazy car with the wing on the top torsion bar tube?

Wasn't that Gary Dubois?

Yep the G.A.D.

David Clifford bought that car recently and is restorting it. The beam is prevented from twisting by the long rods going to the shock mounts.

Regards,

Ian

#347 Jacer

Jacer

• 203 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:38

[quote name='chequer57' date='Dec 11 2009, 03:38' post='4034505']
Yep the G.A.D.

David Clifford bought that car recently and is restorting it. The beam is prevented from twisting by the long rods going to the shock mounts.

Regards,

Ian
[/quote
The G.A.D. I think that's the car he built after the Tripps. Obviously a small footed guy like anyone who drove something like the Mawer F Ford I suppose.
Funny how much it seemed tall drivers were up against it in the 60'and 70's. I'm 6ft 2 1/2 and there was no way I would have fitted into a Rennmax mk 1or a Nota vee for length let alone trying to fit size 12 feet into a pedal area of something like that.

#348 Des Piggott

Des Piggott

• 27 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:14

Posted Image

Another link in the restoration of my Elfin with another owner / driver visiting today. Mal Wilkinson who bought the car from Damian Ridgeway and owned it from 1980 to 1990 called in to check out the progress and discuss his times with the car. Having had Leo Anthony Fusinato and Damian Ridgeway visit in February this year we have now covered the car's drivers from 1971 to 1987.

Cheers
Des

#349 moxonvee

moxonvee

• 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:12

That seems to tie in with its first outing being the last ever open Warwick Farm (see list of entrants) and then Amaroo the following week.

Ray - Ralph's car in the photo is bronze - with a green nose.

Posted Image

Hey Bruce,

Have look at the entry list. The Moxon was BLACK.

Regards

Paul

#350 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,728 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:25

Hmmmm, my MJM was orange, red and green. :eek: I would love to see some colour photos of it. :)