Photo

Take some magazines off my hands

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,418 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 18:49

I have run out of space. All my shelving is full, and I am tired of walking around stacks of books and magazines on my den floor, not to mention a good share of the basement. So, I have decided to pare down my collection of magazines, starting with RACER and FORZA. I have every issue of each. My wife says I should toss them, but I thought that maybe somebody out there may wish to have them. No charge; just pay the shipping. I have no idea how much that may run, but RACER has close to 200 issues and FORZA has about 90, so it may run into a few bucks, especially overseas. I am based in Wisconsin, USA.

No fear, I will still have some mags left; COMPETITION PRESS, every ON TRACK, ROAD & TRACK since 1956, SPORTS CAR since 1967, MOTOR SPORT since the format change a dozen years ago, VINTAGE MOTORSPORT since 1992, and the usual smattering of odds and ends such as ON THE GRID/TODAY'S MOTORSPORT from the '60s. AUTOSPORT off and on from 1980 (currently off as I lost interest in the style, tone, and the printing of rumor as fact), FORMULA/RACECAR, etc., etc., but at this time I just wish to clear out RACER and FORZA.
Tom

Advertisement

#2 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 21:42

RA:

I'm also culling my magazine library, which starts with material from about 1900. Just spent five full days on reorganization and will dispose of (oops, "de-access") magazines in various ways. Worthless dross is recycled, but stuff that may be useful to someone goes to the local library, which sells it at annual sales to raise money. A research center (Watkins Glen), automotive library (Detroit Public Library), or museum (Saratoga, Collier, though the latter has an excellent library) might be interested. Even if they don't need the material, they can sell it and gain income, and your donation can generate a nice tax deduction.

Now, back to work. Gotta make space for the good stuff!

Frank

#3 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,418 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:13

Thanks for the suggestion, Frank. I may well go that route if nobody here want them.
Tom

#4 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 543 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:26

Would you be willing to send me the first 42 issues of Forza? I have #43 - present. I completely understand if you don't want to break up the set.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:09

Just don't toss Road & Track without giving me a first option, okay?

#6 rl1856

rl1856

• 158 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 13:24

Hello,

Should you ever decide to dispose of Road & Track, I would be VERY interested.

I would also have an interest in Sports Car Graphic, Sports Car Illustrated and Car and Driver (through 12/70).

Thank you,

Ross

#7 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 14:12

RA Miltonian, I pm'ed you.

#8 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 14:23

I may get into the act since I have stacks of R&T that probably have not been opened since they arrived, merely moved from place to place and now sitting on shelves in my library. These are whatever arrived in the middle and late Eighties when I had pretty much lost interest in whatever R&T was doing, only the various Salon with Phil Hill involved getting even a look-see. I have them on the Sort-Collate-Record Tasking List for my dbase project -- the previous dbase going into cyber heaven when a drive bit the dust. I am finally getting around to reviving the project. I have already discovered duplicates of SCI and R&T I had forgotten about, more than I realized. With my Motor Sport CD/DVDs now on hand, I am beginning to waver in my devotion to my paper copies from 1958, but I do enjoy the joy of conducting research using tactile methods versus eyes glued to the screen.... Once I sort out the R&Ts on hand, probably a shelf-clearing since I took well over a decade plus to finally pull the plug and put me out of my misery.

#9 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 17:15

Add me to the interested ones in Road & Track.......

#10 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 18:24

With luck, and given my current schedule, I will look at the R&T's over the Labor Day weekend and then decide the date that will be the cutoff and then offer them up. Right now, it will probably be some time around 1985, probably even earlier according to what I see when I skim through them. At the moment, 1982 is probably the lastest I am interested in keeping, but depends on what I see in the 1983 and 1984 issues. But, however and wherever, they are definitely going. The more I have thought about it, the less I really want to keep them since I have no use for them. I will offer up whatever else I come across, such as the extra issues of SCI that I now seem to have on hand. Shipping and a contribution to the IMRRC would be the price.

#11 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 23:51

Add me to the interested ones in Road & Track.......

#12 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 00:41

Friends:

Like Don, I'm considering getting rid of recent issues of many magazines, especially Road & Track, which has sadly become so commercially homogenized, focusing mainly on new cars that one also reads about in simultaneous issues of Car & Driver, Automobile, et al. Only Peter Egan's work keeps me from binning a lot of it. Today I discovered that I own Autoweek from about 1963 onward (and lifted every single one of them). Don't ask how much shelf space (and energy) that takes!

If anyone here can't live without a couple of years of Viper Quarterly (how did I get on that mailing list?), e-mail me before they are recycled, and they are yours for the shipping. Later may also have for sale near-complete sets of Hot Rod and Motor Trend plus a lot of Motor Klassik and BMW Roundel.

Frank
fbarrett@aol.com
303/237-0911

#13 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:21

Hey !!, if you guys start flooding the market with 'OLD' car magazines,What am I going to do with the 1500plus that I've accumulated ?????????????????????????.......and I purchased a 20ft container to store them as 'The Minister of Finance' said that I can't keep them in my den............Oh Well I'll just keep Squirriling..mind you, I was asked by a dealer in Automotive Magazine, if I would sell the lot,Yes !!, was the answer,...$3 dollars each =$45k,I had to pick him up off the floor,remember ,I pay him $10-$12 dollars'A MAGAZINE' when I buy 'second hand' from him.......Go Figure !!

#14 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,418 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:41

Originally posted by fbarrett
Road & Track, which has sadly become so commercially homogenized, focusing mainly on new cars that one also reads about in simultaneous issues of Car & Driver, Automobile, et al. Only Peter Egan's work keeps me from binning a lot of it.

Yes, I agree with you about R&T; it has become just another version of Motor Trend. All the items that kept me interested for years, such as Salons, race reports, articles on race cars, great covers, etc., have all disappeared. They have not put out a decent issue for a couple decades. Why do I still have them? I really don't know; I guess two reasons. 1-With 52 years accumulation, I have passed the point of stopping. You just gotta continue, especially when #2-I renewed last year for 3 years at a little over $20. I was going to stop but thought, what the heck, for $20 I'll keep the collection going. I have not gone quite as far as Col. Capps in that while he does not read them at all, I breeze through a copy in less than an hour, reading only Peter Egan and the occasional (far too occasional) piece by Sam Posey, Tim Considine, or Phil Hill. I skip everything else. Every month page after page on road tests, comparison tests, and first drives.....really, I do not care! Plus, do they ever criticize a car? And the covers..the same every month! A red or yellow car displayed diagonally, with a bunch of Gee Whiz!! graphics splashed all over. How I long for the days of a simple cover of a car photographed in a fine setting, or a great racing shot; remember the great cover of Fangio, Hawthorn, and Collins at the 'Ring?

Regarding Forza, I have a fellow TNFer who wants to take the lot off my hands, so those are probably gone.

I am thinning my accumulation, as mentioned, but not properties that I will retain for research, such as Competition Press and On Track. Plus, of course, hundreds of books, topped by every Autocourse.

Thanks all for the interest.

Tom

#15 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,392 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:31

I gave my collection (R&T, C and D/SCI, SCG, etc. from the 50s forward) to a local auto museum that is set up as an educational foundation. I know the magazines will be archived and cared for, and the collection has been sufficiently endowed so as to survive long after the benefactor/collector is gone. I was just out of room and the fact is that I don't take any of the US magazines any more. They just don't reflect my interests now. Even with the magazines I get now....they seem to be overwhelming me!....not to mention the books.

Jack

#16 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,392 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:38

Originally posted by RA Historian
How I long for the days of a simple cover of a car photographed in a fine setting, or a great racing shot; remember the great cover of Fangio, Hawthorn, and Collins at the 'Ring?

Yes, but the one I remember best is the one of Phil Hill going through the Karussel in the 156 Sharknose.

I do have a complete set of CAVALLINO which I probably will keep until I just have to have the money. Hope that never happens!

Jack.

#17 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,870 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 19:56

I have run out of space. All my shelving is full, and I am tired of walking around stacks of books and magazines on my den floor, not to mention a good share of the basement. So, I have decided to pare down my collection of magazines, starting with RACER and FORZA. I have every issue of each. My wife says I should toss them, but I thought that maybe somebody out there may wish to have them. No charge; just pay the shipping. I have no idea how much that may run, but RACER has close to 200 issues and FORZA has about 90, so it may run into a few bucks, especially overseas. I am based in Wisconsin, USA.

No fear, I will still have some mags left; COMPETITION PRESS, every ON TRACK, ROAD & TRACK since 1956, SPORTS CAR since 1967, MOTOR SPORT since the format change a dozen years ago, VINTAGE MOTORSPORT since 1992, and the usual smattering of odds and ends such as ON THE GRID/TODAY'S MOTORSPORT from the '60s. AUTOSPORT off and on from 1980 (currently off as I lost interest in the style, tone, and the printing of rumor as fact), FORMULA/RACECAR, etc., etc., but at this time I just wish to clear out RACER and FORZA.
Tom

Great collection Tom!

Do you have of Volume 1 of FORMULA? I have (or have access to) every copy from Volume 2 No 1 (Feb 1975) onwards and have a scan of Volume 1 No 1 (Oct 1973) but I don't know how many editions came in between. Did they print every month in 1974?

Allen

#18 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,418 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:21

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Great collection Tom!

Do you have of Volume 1 of FORMULA? I have (or have access to) every copy from Volume 2 No 1 (Feb 1975) onwards and have a scan of Volume 1 No 1 (Oct 1973) but I don't know how many editions came in between. Did they print every month in 1974?

Allen

Allen, I did not discover FORMULA until mid 1975, so I subscribed after the first several issues. I do not know about 1974, but as you know, their publication was quite spotty the next several years until their demise in mid 1980.
Tom

#19 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:29

Anybody have any On Tracks from 81 to 83 they want to get rid of? Or any Italian Rombos from 80's till 85? I think I have at least 10,000 magazines around from Auto Sprint, Auto Sport, Sport Auto, On Track, GPI, Road & Track, Auto Week, etc. I have 95% of all the Grand Prix Internationals 1979 to 1986. Great magazine that was!

Advertisement

#20 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:57

Allen, I did not discover FORMULA until mid 1975, so I subscribed after the first several issues. I do not know about 1974, but as you know, their publication was quite spotty the next several years until their demise in mid 1980.
Tom

Like Tom, I stumbled upon FORMULA after it was already underway. I have everything from about early 1975 onward, all the way to the end when it had become RACECAR. Early on, I tried to get back copies of the first year, but no luck. I am not sure that even Bill Green at the IMRRC has a complete set, which should give you an idea of how difficult they are to find. I do know that one of the later editors, my mind is drawing a blank right now, wrote me that his collection was lost when his basement flooded (this was when I was part of a national BB set up for referees to ask senior referees and referee instructors such as me questions about the laws and other aspects of the game).

In retrospect, it certainly was like a sine wave over the years, going up and down, up and down....

#21 Guichet

Guichet

• 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:09

I am interested

#22 rl1856

rl1856

• 158 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 13:19

I agree that R&T has deteriorated over the years. My epiphany came when I read a road test that spread out over 3-4 pages and realised that at most 2 paragraphs contained information concerning the actual driving of the vehicle. Everything else was glorified ad copy. I let may subscription lapse and have never gone back. My father still subscribes, so I can peruse his issues from time to time if I so desire.

My fondness for R&T is based upon their glory years of the 50's-mid 80's....detailed race reports, behind the scenes info, road tests based upon actually driving the car etc etc. Bernard Cahier, Henry Manney III, Rob Walker, Innes Ireland.

Best,

Ross

#23 Guichet

Guichet

• 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 18:25

What is the cost per magazine?

#24 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 19:20

Whenever I get ready to heave mine out the door, the only stipulation will be picking up the postage and a contribution to the IMRRC. The postage will be painful enough since the R&T's tend to weigh a ton with that glossy paper they used for ages.

#25 jonnyspa27

jonnyspa27

• 56 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 23:11

Just PMed you RA :)