Photo

History on a Mini Cooper 'S' FN 9330

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FN 9330

FN 9330

• 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 22:35

Hi there I am new to the forum but was told that this would be a good idea to post some information on my car which I am desperately trying to research the original owner.

I have a 1071 Austin Mini Cooper 'S' that I bought 6 months ago with an extensive history file see Rob Gurney Smiths website

http://www.minicoope...uk/Homepage.htm

Rob as well as carrying out an excellent restoration whilst stll keeping the patina of the car has painstakingly researched the history of the car all the way back to the second owner a Sheikh who held the car in his collection (whilst respraying it a dark blue) which mainly consisted of Astons. The car was originally purchased from Barretts of Canterbury (who due to a fire do not hold the original documentation) and they think the original owner is thought to have been one Phillip Fotheringham-Parker a gentleman racing driver who competed in the Silverstone 1951 Grand Prix which fits in with the car being located in Rye, his hometown, and the car also has a sporting past as it has been professionally fireproofed from new as stated by the third owner who was the daughter -in-law of the second owner (the sheikh). The car also has history of being worked on by Nerus Engineering also based in Rye. This also accords with why the Sheikh would have bought the car as PFParker raced an Aston - once I believe for the works team and this may be his reasoning to adding a mini to his otherwise exotica collection.

This was all fine until one of the old salesman at Barretts said he thought he had sold FN to Alistair Crawford who did have a Smoke Grey Austin 'S' and that he remembers Alistair getting a bespoke wiring loom fitted from new by Lucas for racing. FN has a bespoke wiring loom with lot's of additional wiring for various gauges etc and it is clearly labelled as a Lucas loom it is clear that the loom is one made from scratch and clearly a professional factory job. It's not on the car now due to its age but is in my garage. There are also all sorts of other racing additions fitted to the car and Alistair Crawford apparently also had the car worked upon by Nerus Engineering.

I have never heard of Alistair Crawford but was told by a well known Cooper afficiando that he was a well known rally driver who competed in the Monte Carlo Rally in 63, 64 and 65 in a privately entered 1071.

This car is in it's original shell and this has been verified and is beyond doubt so you would think a rally car would have a battered shell which this did not have.

What I am looking for is someone to help me on who Alistair Crawford was and does he have any relatives etc who may have pictures etc. In the meantime I am also eager to hear whether anyone knew PFParker and whether he did own this car.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers Mike

Advertisement

#2 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 23:50

Haven't had a chance to read the link in full. If it only did the Monte, floor damage is not likely. Lack of evidence of a sump guard ever being fitted is a problem - but the full "works" guard would not have been used for that event at that time (and if it wasn't the evidence of an oil cooler might not be present either).
BMC Comps Dept did do work on private cars before Special Tuning was set up but it was "subject to capacity/workload" and usually only if International events were being entered (or translate that as: "depends who you were and whom you knew"). A Lucas rep was permanently based at Abingdon to do looms for a long time, although that might have been a bit later on. Lucas themselves (Acton then?) would also do such work (complete re-wire) free (again only if Internationals were involved).
The second tank bought as a competitions part normally came with the retaining strap and nothing else? - no "T" piece or tap as implied in the link, unless that was the case for very early ones (I spent ages sourcing a T piece).
I can't place the name Crawford - but its before my time. No one of that name seems to be on the 65 Monte entry list.

#3 FN 9330

FN 9330

• 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:53

RS 2000 In early 63 there was no R/H tank available Serck supplied them and they came with the strap and mounting kit shown although the valve was as you say a personal addition. The early cars also never came with an Oil Cooler. Crawford did the 63 Monte not the 65 monte. The car is one of the first batch of 100 1071's and that's why it had some Comps parts on it as the engine were falt fronted Formula Junior items.

I have all the research I need on these items it is the ownership I am interested in whether it was Phillip Fotheringham-Parker or Alistair Crawford who owned the car.

#4 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:15

The best advice I can offer is to contact Brian Moylen through the MGCC at Abingdon. He probably had a hand in or knew whoever did the comps dept prep on the car.

#5 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:22

Originally posted by FN 9330
In early 63 there was no R/H tank available Serck supplied them and they came with the strap and mounting kit shown although the valve was as you say a personal addition. The early cars also never came with an Oil Cooler. Crawford did the 63 Monte not the 65 monte.

So since your first post, it is now confirmed Crawford on 63 Monte only, not 64 and 65?
I'm aware of the production status of the R/H tank and oil cooler. It's all about clues to where and by whom they might have been fitted earlier, long before they were on production cars. Was the retaining strap fitted inboard or outboard of the R/H tank seam/flange? (the kit was designed for outboard but Abingdon would have mounted it inboard). The tank support also suggests fitting by the best professionals. Incidently, fireproofing the rear bulkhead prior to 66 is unlikely to have been done on a rally car, even for FIA events, so may suggest racing. (The 65 Monte-winning S had a rear bulkhead lightened with large holes cut out of it). No bolt holes for an Aley bar would also suggest no serious competition use after 65/6 time.
On a trivial point, isn't the link site incorrect in describing the 1275 as just a longer-throw crank? - the block was slightly taller? (and was the source of many overheating problems, as the extra bit wasn't cooled?).
Records of private owner work done by the Comps Dept are unlikely to exist (deliberately so??). I suspect I might be the only person still around to recall Cooper FJD312D had "blue" Hydrolastic units fitted there prior to the 66 RAC Rally. As 275 GTB-4 suggests, personal recollection may be the only clue now but Brian Moylan's lengthy service there means he has rather a lot to remember!

#6 FN 9330

FN 9330

• 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:38

The web site was done by the previous owner but I thought that the 1275 block was taller as well - will check. The retaining strap is fiited outboard of the seam as the seam is to close to the edge of the tank and un-able to fit a strap. Barrets of Canterbury remember the car going to Nerus Engineering (later Elva) to have the tank fitted. The car did show evidnce of holes where a Aley Cage would have been fitted and it did have eyeholes/bracket fitted for a Harness.

I didn't think it was entered in the Monte but used as a weekend warrior in some regional events etc by either Alistair Crawford or Phillip Fotheringham-Parker.. As described I think Nerus carried out some tuning on the car. Its Comp dept crank and formula junior block were only used on the first 100 cars produced but most of these went to would be competititors.

#7 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:06

Possible to find local road rallies that were all tarmac but club rally use without some floor scraping/scoring would be lucky. The rounded corner, oblong pressing in the floor pan near where the driver's heels rest would almost certainly have some denting/scoring/scraping. Second tank unlikely for hill climbs or sprints unless the car was also used for something else as well. A single tank S was perceived as marginal on fuel between many fuel halts on even the lowest status UK rallies.
63 Monte entry list may be beyond even what records jrally or Carles Bosch from here have.

#8 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:12

Originally posted by FN 9330
The web site was done by the previous owner but I thought that the 1275 block was taller as well - will check.

It tis :wave:

#9 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,171 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 21:34

Just to clarify a couple of points.

There were no Cooper S on the 1963 Monte as it wasn't out yet, the 1st Monte for the S was in 1964.

It was in 1964 that the cars had the heavily modified rear bulkheads (so they could carry more spare wheels and tyres). In 1965 the bulkheads were standard.

In 1963 the cars were Coopers (Like Mine) with RH tanks and oil coolers (but very different design to the later Cooper S ones).

As for Crawford. He took part in 1963 in a Morris Cooper Reg Number SP66. He doesn't appear in the results so i assume a non-finisher.

He doesn't appear in the 1964 or 65 list of Mini entries I have or in the complete results in the Louche book.

#10 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 23:21

Originally posted by Mark A
Just to clarify a couple of points.
In 1965 the bulkheads were standard.

No. The 65 Monte wining car ran in Group3 (which then embraced Group2 saloons modified beyond Group2 regs, as well as GT cars). The entire rear bulkhead was perforated with 2" diameter holes as a lightening measure - something that would now give any scrutineer a heart attack.

#11 Nick Wa

Nick Wa

• 186 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:35

I have recently seen a picture of SP 66 but I can find or think where.
n.b. It wasn't the subject of the photo just the nearest other car.

#12 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:44

Originally posted by RS2000
No. The 65 Monte wining car ran in Group3 (which then embraced Group2 saloons modified beyond Group2 regs, as well as GT cars). The entire rear bulkhead was perforated with 2" diameter holes as a lightening measure - something that would now give any scrutineer a heart attack.

As can be seen on page 18 of Mr Moylens "Anatomy of the Works Minis"

#13 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,171 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 20:41

Originally posted by RS2000

You're correct, I was thinking along the lines of the more extreme mods on the 64 cars, holes are just holes. :lol:

#14 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 22:40

Originally posted by Mark A
You're correct, I was thinking along the lines of the more extreme mods on the 64 cars, holes are just holes. :lol:

But they do add lightness :wave:

#15 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,171 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 22:08

Going back to the Crawford link, I've checked with a mate of mine who has a huge list of Mini reg numbers used in competition from numerous sources.

Alistair Crawford did have a 1071s in Smoke Grey, however it had a completely different registration, so sorry it doesn't look like it was his car.