Photo

American Car Day at Brooklands Museum

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:54

Lads, I've just spent the morning at a very damp Brooklands Museum. It was Mustang and T-Bird Day apparently, although I only saw one Thunderbird. I thought it was a good turn-out considering the awful British weather (aside ; I wonder when we are going to get our summer this year....). Here's a few photos.
I'm afraid I'm all at sea when it comes to Mustang designations, so please feel free to jump in and tell me which version of the car is which.

Posted Image
Test Hill in the background.

Posted Image
Taken from the stairs by the side of the Clubhouse.

Posted Image
in front of the Campbell Shed.

Posted Image
A little tourqoiuse number.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The only Thunderbird I saw. Very nice though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
This turned up too, what is it??

Advertisement

#2 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 14:14

Originally posted by Gary C
Posted Image
This turned up too, what is it??

That is a 1941 to 1947 Chevrolet half-ton pickup. (All years are essentially identical. However, this one is probably a '41 or '46-47 as the in-between years used painted rather than plated grille trim.)

Small-block Chevy V8 with Roots blower swapped in, Cragar wheels, late-model GM front subframe. Typical American-style hot rod pickup.

#3 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 14:34

I'm afraid I'm all at sea when it comes to Mustang designations, so please feel free to jump in and tell me which version of the car is which.

Posted Image

1966 Shelby GT350H, the infamous Hertz rent-a-racer built by Shelby and offered at Hertz Rent-a-Car locations for a brief time.

...or a pretty good facsimile of one. (I only add that because they are very easy to clone from a standard production Mustang, and most you see in the US are copies. Approximately 1000 were built, of which around 12,000 survive.)

#4 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 14:36

Cool pics!

http://img385.images...=img2313py6.jpg
The cars with the flat tail panel like the red hardtop dead center is the original version of the Mustang, 1964 1/2 to 1966. The pretty blue fastback to its left, the turquoise hardtop at the upper left, and others like them are 1967 or '68 models; the concave tail panel is the easiest way to identify these. The cream-colored fastback is a larger, redesigned '69-'70 model. The '71-'73s, not pictured, were enormous beasts. The black car with the vinyl roof on the right is a '74-'78 Mustang II, which was a complete 180 from the '73 and a prime representative of the lameness of cars of the era.

http://img129.images...=img2282cf9.jpg
From this view, the light-colored car and the blue car are '67-'68s and the others are from '64 1/2 to '66. The grille shapes are one way to identify them, but from the side you can see the change in how the character line aligns with the headlights.

http://img67.imagesh...=img2335ad9.jpg
The car on the right is a 1968 Dodge Charger, which goes very well with the Mustang since it's the car used by the antagonists in that legendary chase scene in the movie Bullitt. The blue car to its left is a 1970 Dodge Coronet.

The pickup truck is a Chevrolet from either 1941, '42 or '46, with '42 being by far the least likely due to the war-shortened model year.

#5 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 16:03

Posted Image
A little tourqoiuse number.

Posted Image

These are '67 Mustangs, coupe above and 2+2 fastback below. The coupe has a non-original hood scoop and paint color, while both sport custom wheels.

#6 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 16:07

Posted Image

From right to left: '66 Mustang coupe, '67 Mustang Coupe, '66 Mustang Fastback.

#7 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 16:39

Posted Image

From left to right: '66, '66, '65, '65.

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 19:08

here's just a few more :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 19:57

Lads, I've just spent the morning at a very damp Brooklands Museum. It was Mustang and T-Bird Day apparently, although I only saw one Thunderbird. I thought it was a good turn-out considering the awful British weather (aside ; I wonder when we are going to get our summer this year....). Here's a few photos.

Posted Image

What a fabulous car, superb wheels, great photos Gary! Would this be similar to the one that Mr McQueen was driving with severe axle tramp in San Fran? Just lovely!!! I visited the city a few years ago, that must have been a sight to behold when they filmed those scenes :up: :up: :up:

#10 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 21:02

Posted Image

1967 Mustang coupe with '68 wheels...non-original color, originally equipped with vinyl top, later removed

Posted Image

1957 Thunderbird in Flame Red; 1970 Plymouth Satellite in A4 Silver

Posted Image

1966 Mustang coupe

Posted Image

1969 Mustang Mach 1 Cobra Jet

Posted Image

1969 Plymouth Roadrunner hardtop, 383, F5 green

#11 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 23:10

Originally posted by sterling49

What a fabulous car, superb wheels, great photos Gary! Would this be similar to the one that Mr McQueen was driving with severe axle tramp in San Fran? Just lovely!!! I visited the city a few years ago, that must have been a sight to behold when they filmed those scenes :up: :up: :up:

It does have the same clean look, doesn't it?

Of course, this is a '67 Mustang fastback in Honolulu Blue, while the Bullitt Mustang was a '68 Mustang 390 GT in Highland Green with all the emblems and chrome trim removed. (Making it look more like a standard, non-GT Mustang like this one.) And they both have American Racing Torque-Thrust wheels, obviously.

BTW, the chassis and engine modifications for the Bullitt movie cars (there were two Mustangs and two Chargers) were performed by Max Balchowsky at Hollywood Sports Cars. The Charger's role was originally going to be portrayed by Ford Galaxies but they proved to be too ponderous for the stunt work.

When Ford re-introduced the Bullitt Mustang recently, the press kit was packaged in a DVD of the movie, a two-disc set. Finally, a PR handout that's not totally useless.