• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,224 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:04

http://uk.eurosport....ivers-2009.html

ROME (AFP) - Finland's reigning Formula One champion Kimi Raikkonen and Brazilian Felipe Massa have been confirmed as Ferrari drivers for next season, team boss Luca Cordero di Montezemolo said on Friday.

Advertisement

#2 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:07

Excellent news :clap:

#3 Gecko

Gecko

• 800 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:11

Excellent, it is nice to see loyalty from Ferrari. This should cause a few moves or rather further confirmations in the following days.

#4 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:13

Originally posted by AFCA
Di Montezemolo on whether Raikkonen and Massa will stay at Ferrari next year: "Absolutely yes."

So Alonso, of whom many have said he has long signed a contract with Ferrari for the coming years, can be calm ? "I don't know if the poor guy can stay calm, at the moment it depends on him. I didn't like to see a big champion like him not being within the top ten at Valencia. But as far as Ferrari is concerned he can be calm."

So at least for the near future the doors at Maranello are closed for the Spaniard. Di Montezemolo went to see him and greeted him warmly. After that the Ferrari president went to McLaren's pitbox and embraced Hamilton.

On Raikkonen: "All this criticism towards Raikkonen reminds me of when Inzaghi played for Juventus. When he didn't score for three games everyone said he was in a crisis."

When Di Montezemolo was watching a pitstop a fan shouted: "Give him (Raikkonen) a good telling-off !"

"I thought: 'these guys are never happy'. One shouldn't forget he's the worldchampion, and that last year he has won in his first year at Ferrari and many would have never imagined this. In his career he has now won 17 races and I hope he will 'unblock' at the Belgian GP: in any case he's not a driver that's in a crisis. Kimi is motivated and we have to work to enable him to move forward, especially at these new circuits that I don't like and which harm Formula 1: you're not able to overtake there and nine times out of ten the guy on pole wins the race."

Raikkonen said he didn't have difficulties at managing the pressure during the last six GP: "I don't have any problem."

On the talk with Di Montezemolo: "He didn't say anything special to me."

On Di Montezemolo confirming his stay at Ferrari: "I already had a contract (so) there's nothing new for me. Today's test has gone as normal, we've tested various solutions to some small problems. In the coming races we will give our utmost to win and then we'll see where we end up."

Di Montezemolo on Massa: "I would define him as a 'product' from (our) 'breeding ground' and he's mature to win the title. If it wasn't for the points he's lost he would have already had a considerable gap. But for eleven years we've either won the championship or came second, and considering the many teams that have come to life or have gone bankrupt in these years, that's a nice satisfaction."

On the championship being decided in the same way as it happened last year: "Enough with the nonsense, I'm convined Ferrari will be a protagonist right till the end."

On there not being a number 1 and number 2 status within the team: "It's an old story that goes back to the times of Lauda and Regazzoni. The hierarchy is only made by the stopwatch, not by the president. Who ever is the driver, whether he's called Schumacher, Barrichello, Raikkonen or Massa, what he does is drive for Ferrari."

#5 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,760 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:21

What else is new!?

#6 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 1,995 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:30

Where to Alonso then? Another year at Renault or will Honda hire him for just one year knowing full well his sights are set on that plum Maranello seat for 2010?
I think Honda would be pretty dumb to sign Alonso under those circumstances. But hey what the hell do I know..

#7 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,090 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:36

Alonso -> Renault 2009
Alonso -> Ferrari 2010 (done deal)

#8 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,274 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:39

The team is able to keep its integrity and coolness in the year to come and concentrate on right things. Another great year to come. :up:

#9 DiStefano

DiStefano

• 485 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:41

LDM
But for eleven years we've either won the championship or came second, and considering the many teams that have come to life or have gone bankrupt in these years, that's a nice satisfaction

Did he forget about 2005?

#10 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 19:29

Originally posted by DiStefano

Both he and Ron seem to be suffering lapses of memories in the last few days...are they getting past their primes?

#11 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,199 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 19:33

Originally posted by Tomecek

I don't think it's a done deal at all. Alonso is a likely candidate but Ferrari may change their mind in case Kubica is flying in 2009. I think it's noteworthy that Kubi renewed his contract with BMW only for one more year. IMO he too is a candidate for Ferrari. I don't beleive it's decided yet.

#12 prxty

prxty

• 427 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 19:52

The title of the thread is wrong.
It is not Ferrari "officially" confirming the drivers for 2009.

It is Montezzemolo answering a question regarding if the current drivers will be in 2009. As they have a contract the only possible answer is yes. Even if it is not right or ends up not being the truth.

"Assolutamente sì", ha risposto Montezemolo a chi gli chiedeva se i due piloti sarebbero rimasti in Ferrari anche l'anno prossimo.

#13 panzani

panzani

• 18,688 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 19:53

Originally posted by Tomecek

One thinks bringing in a rotten apple amongst the healthy ones leads to a sack full of rotten apples by the middle of the season...

#14 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,961 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 19:55

It was the obvious thing to do.

#15 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 19:55

Who knows, maybe they also extend Kimi´s comtract? :confused:
The did that with Massa´s contract while he was out of the WDC last year, so why shouldn´t they do the same with Kimi (if he wants to continue)? :confused:

#16 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,799 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 19:56

There was no 2005. There was no sole win against 5 other cars.

#17 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 19:58

Originally posted by Galko877

I don't think it's a done deal at all. Alonso is a likely candidate but Ferrari may change their mind in case Kubica is flying in 2009. I think it's noteworthy that Kubi renewed his contract with BMW only for one more year. IMO he too is a candidate for Ferrari. I don't beleive it's decided yet.

The whole story about Alonso and Ferrari was always a speculation and/or fantasy of jornos and fans.

Both or separately Ferrari and Alonso might never consider each other. But uncertainties in regard of Alonso plans and absence of long-term contracts with whoever else made a good thing for bubbling everywhere on the subject.

Meanwhile coming tectonic regulations changes from 2009 onwards makes any team choice a very loose lottery.

Besides Ferrari in terms of operations and in spite of having a dominant car has once again become inconsistent and erratic as far as the team and its drivers are concerned.

#18 Zar

Zar

• 117 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 20:02

That's exactlly how I see it, also keep Vettel in mind.

Far from done deal if you ask me

#19 DiStefano

DiStefano

• 485 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 20:20

Originally posted by panzani
One thinks bringing in a rotten apple amongst the healthy ones leads to a sack full of rotten apples by the middle of the season...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't think they'd take Ron.

Advertisement

#20 Maximus

Maximus

• 556 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 20:39

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't think they'd take Ron.

:lol:

#21 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 1,916 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 20:47

His words regarding Raikkonen are encouraging, he obviously values the guy and will do what he can to keep him.

The comparison with Inzaghi was spot on.

#22 DiStefano

DiStefano

• 485 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:04

Originally posted by Yellowmc

The comparison with Inzaghi was spot on.

And Pippo is about to retire too :p

#23 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,725 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:04

Eurosport...

dumb ****s.

That whole story is based around two words: 'Absolutely' and 'yes'.

Pathetic.

That it's made it as far as this forum may be sadder still.

#24 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 534 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:15

Raikkonen given Ferrari backing

Di Montezemolo played down speculation surrounding the Spaniard and insisted Raikkonen and Felipe Massa will stay as Ferrari's drivers for next season.

"He is motivated and we must work hard so that he is in a position to make a quick start - especially on the new circuits which I don't like and are doing harm to Formula One.

"You can't overtake and nine times out of 10 whoever takes pole position wins.

Raikkonen's lack of form had prompted rumours that Alonso would replace him at Ferrari.

But di Montezemolo said he had not been impressed with Alonso's showing in the European Grand Prix, adding: "I was disappointed to see a champion like him not make the top 10 in Valencia".

#25 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:23

Originally posted by Imperial
Eurosport...

dumb ****s.

Pathetic.

I agree, kimi has a contract fo 09 does he not?
Could you imagine if he would have said "hmmm.. We are not sure, it all depends on how he performs from now till the end of the year, if he suck we'll break his contract "...

If they are exploring other options no one would know about it more importantly the current drivers...
They are in the middle of a battle for the wcc. What makes more sense now is to keep both kimi and massa as motivated as possible.

#26 wdh

wdh

• 1,044 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:23

... That whole story is based around two words: 'Absolutely' and 'yes'. ...

Anyone that expected ANY different answer (whatever the true situation) must be a bit naive.

And ANY other answer would have been a real scoop for the reporter.

#27 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:44

How about this one. Mclaren renewed Heikki's contract for just one season longer. IF Ferrari do take Alonso over Kubica, even though many would say it wont happen because Mclaren wont let anyone race lewis (utter bullshit) Roberty may wind up at Mclaren with lewis, racing against massa and alonso in the ferraris. That, or, Robert stays at BMW, and Rosberg makes the switch from Williams to mclaren and heikki is traded to williams.

Honestly, Nico's career is going to go down the toilet if he doesnt get a top seat soon, he'll be the next Button, all promise but no delivery.

#28 KERS

KERS

• 276 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:41

This is like Ron Dennis comfirming Alonso would be with mclaren in 2008 when he was asked mid season 2007. It doesnt mean anything. Even if Alonso was signed for 2009 did you expect Luca to admitt it and just tell everyone now? Of course not. If Ferrari lose the drivers wc I think there is a good possibility one of their drivers will get the sack for 2009.

#29 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,204 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:01

Originally posted by KERS
This is like Ron Dennis comfirming Alonso would be with mclaren in 2008 when he was asked mid season 2007. It doesnt mean anything. Even if Alonso was signed for 2009 did you expect Luca to admitt it and just tell everyone now? Of course not. If Ferrari lose the drivers wc I think there is a good possibility one of their drivers will get the sack for 2009.

In your dreams :p

#30 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:36

Of course LdM's answer was going to be this, it would have been quite strange if he had said: "No, you know we signed Alonso and Kimi will be gone".

I'm sure Ferrari will keep both their drivers for 2008, but you can't say it's 'official' based on this particular quote.

#31 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,199 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:58

Eurosport...

dumb ****s.

Pathetic.

Frustrated Alonso fan there? :confused:

Montezemolo answering the question if Ferrari will keep their drivers for 2009 with "absolutely, yes", couldn't be more definite.

#32 KERS

KERS

• 276 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:41

Frustrated Alonso fan there? :confused:

Montezemolo answering the question if Ferrari will keep their drivers for 2009 with "absolutely, yes", couldn't be more definite.

It was at best definite at the moment it was asked(thats if he wasnt lying) but things change quickly in F1. I still cant understand why ferrari extended massa's contract. Politics before merit obviously. The exact reason massa got the drive to begin win.

#33 Mike Fallopian

Mike Fallopian

• 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:46

This report makes it clear that a high-level decision was made to keep Kimi Raikonnen in Ferrari. There's no more to be said. I'm very glad they're on the right side of this issue :up:

#34 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:59

Originally posted by kids like ash
How about this one. Mclaren renewed Heikki's contract for just one season longer. IF Ferrari do take Alonso over Kubica, even though many would say it wont happen because Mclaren wont let anyone race lewis (utter bullshit) Roberty may wind up at Mclaren with lewis, racing against massa and alonso in the ferraris. That, or, Robert stays at BMW, and Rosberg makes the switch from Williams to mclaren and heikki is traded to williams.

Honestly, Nico's career is going to go down the toilet if he doesnt get a top seat soon, he'll be the next Button, all promise but no delivery.

Nico should have gone to McLaren last season when he had the chance. He was on the top of the shortlist but he rather stayed at Williams. Ofcourse it's always easier to judge in hindsight, but he might indeed not get a top seat any time soon which could make him the next Button.

#35 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:31

Hmm im a little confused. Is this official then or what? Theres nothing here on Autosport about it. But then again, if LDM where asked in 2006 - "Is Micheal Schumacher staying for 2007?" Would he not more than likely have answerd "yes of course, absoloutley" which of course, was true.

Im still not 100% on 'the ice man' staying beyond the end of this year, let alone into 2009.

I also dont beleive whoever said "This should cause a few moves or rather further confirmations in the following days." Alonso i think is what everyone is waiting for.

#36 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 534 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:50

It was at best definite at the moment it was asked(thats if he wasnt lying) but things change quickly in F1. I still cant understand why ferrari extended massa's contract. Politics before merit obviously. The exact reason massa got the drive to begin win.

yea, because he's driving sooo badly this year :rolleyes:

#37 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,224 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:56

Autosport story: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/70156

#38 Bobby Deerfield

Bobby Deerfield

• 83 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:08

It's clear the Todt's remainders at Ferrari still get full power. MS, Baldisserri, Domenicali ?. It's also to be said that this year, with Raik sleeping deeply, even Massa can legitimate himself as good driver and strenghten his contractual position. If they keep KR, even more they have to keep FM.

#39 brunopascal

brunopascal

• 1,363 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:19

Massa nowadays is good enough to justify his signing, irrespective of who he's been compared with, and he's been for some time.
The season started bad for him, but he came back strong. He's proven to be a true WDC challenger, consistent and fast. It's right to keep Massa.

Advertisement

#40 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,199 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:26

Originally posted by SevenTwoSeven
Hmm im a little confused. Is this official then or what? Theres nothing here on Autosport about it. But then again, if LDM where asked in 2006 - "Is Micheal Schumacher staying for 2007?" Would he not more than likely have answerd "yes of course, absoloutley" which of course, was true.

Im still not 100% on 'the ice man' staying beyond the end of this year, let alone into 2009.

I also dont beleive whoever said "This should cause a few moves or rather further confirmations in the following days." Alonso i think is what everyone is waiting for.

And Alonso is waiting for Ferrari. So at the end it depends on Ferrari and Räikkönen.

As for what you said about 2006, that's just your hypothetical situation. Never in 2006 LdM claimed MS will "absolutely, yes" remain their driver in 2007. Do you think the journos never asked him?

#41 mimin

mimin

• 1,307 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:31

Why are you so bitter?

Massa has been the Ferrari driver since he stepped in F1 in 2002. That why he became a test driver in 2003 whe he was replaced by HHF at Sauber. I remember when Michael was asked in 2003, why Massa ?? He answered that because Massa was a very good driver.

#42 snx843

snx843

• 855 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:49

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#43 snx843

snx843

• 855 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:51

Originally posted by mimin

Why are you so bitter?

Last year was tramatic for Arrow. He needs Alonso back in a no1 car so all his delusions remain true...The cracks are showing...

#44 as65p

as65p

• 17,527 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:05

And Alonso is waiting for Ferrari.

That seems to be the general assumption around here, but I would phrase it a bit differently: he's waiting to get his hands on a WDC-capable car. Slight difference...;)

Now of course for more than a decade Ferrari has been most likely of all teams to provide that. But I could well imagine that Alonso would be just as happy to drive a frontrunning BMW, Honda or Renault (or whereever he may end up driving for in 2009).

The the rumours connect him with Ferrari all the time is quite natural, but it's mainly because they are assumed to provide the best equipment. I don't think he want's to go there no matter what or for some romantic reasons.

The possibility of a powerbalance shift is bigger next year than for quite some time, I think.

#45 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,199 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 13:05

Originally posted by as65p

That seems to be the general assumption around here, but I would phrase it a bit differently: he's waiting to get his hands on a WDC-capable car. Slight difference...;)

Now of course for more than a decade Ferrari has been most likely of all teams to provide that. But I could well imagine that Alonso would be just as happy to drive a frontrunning BMW, Honda or Renault (or whereever he may end up driving for in 2009).

The the rumours connect him with Ferrari all the time is quite natural, but it's mainly because they are assumed to provide the best equipment. I don't think he want's to go there no matter what or for some romantic reasons.

The possibility of a powerbalance shift is bigger next year than for quite some time, I think.

I agree and that's why it would be wiser for him to sit still at Renault for 2009 and wait and see who goes where under the new rules. To rush for a 2009 contract and spend a lot of money on breaking contracts (eg. if he went to Ferrari in 2009, Ferrari should break the contract of one driver) just for this one year an then an insecure long term prospect is not wise IMO.

#46 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 508 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 13:48

Well said by LDM! Especially the story about Inzaghi.
Those calling for Kimi's head ....can go f*$k themselves :wave:

#47 kismet

kismet

• 7,037 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 13:49

Great, looks like I'll have to suffer through at least one more season. :

Lord, give me patience. AND DO IT NOW!!!

#48 as65p

as65p

• 17,527 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 14:12

I agree and that's why it would be wiser for him to sit still at Renault for 2009 and wait and see who goes where under the new rules. To rush for a 2009 contract and spend a lot of money on breaking contracts (eg. if he went to Ferrari in 2009, Ferrari should break the contract of one driver) just for this one year an then an insecure long term prospect is not wise IMO.

Wiser for him? I can't quite follow you there... Ferrari MUST be attractive for him in his current position, it's unlikely that they will fall behind Renault in 2009.

Now wiser for Ferrari... I have to agree. Despite his current slump, Kimi is expected to recover and with Massa going strong anyway, Ferrari apparently isn't so desperate to buy Alonso out of an existing contract.

Still it makes sense for Alonsos management to keep all options open as long as possible, including Ferrari. It may be unlikely, but in case Kimi really messes up the next two or three races...

Let's face it, if KR would sail serenely at the front of the field, nobody would even talk about Alonso going there in 2009. But his less than brilliant form has opened remote possibilities, so why not keep an eye on them, Alonso hasn't much to loose right now.

#49 as65p

as65p

• 17,527 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 14:15

Originally posted by kismet
Great, looks like I'll have to suffer through at least one more season. :

Lord, give me patience. AND DO IT NOW!!!

As an Alonso supporter, I feel I have every right to say:

Stop whining, take it like a man!

;)

#50 kismet

kismet

• 7,037 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 15:29

I'm taking testosterone supplements and bidding on testicle implants on e-bay as I type, dear. :wave:

But I still need that patience.