Motorcycle racing 1969-1990 nostalgia 2

• Please log in to reply
23143 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 23:09

Guys, the previous thread had become too large - more like enormous, actually - to cope with in a technical sense, so we can continue here.

The original thread will remain accessible for reference and the like, so don't panic that it's gone for ever; that's not the case. :)

Oh, and those blokes who upset everyone recently have both been banned. :up:

Have fun fellas :D

(PS - sorry renzo; I saw what you'd done but pressed the wrong button... :blush: )

Advertisement

#2 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 23:20

no probs stuart.15000 eh! :eek:

#3 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 23:21

Originally posted by Twin Window
The original thread will remain accessible for reference and the like, so don't panic that it's gone for ever; that's not the case. :)

Thanks Stu :up: I'd like to think 378 pages of great stories, reminiscences, WWW & stunning photos is something of a record for a forum :clap:

#4 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 23:24

those blokes who upset everyone recently have both been banned. :up:

...and with it a huge sigh of relief & thanks from all of us, I'm certain :kiss:

#5 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 23:32

Originally posted by PaulMB
The puddle of water is where I drained the water afterwards. I don't like to leave them with water in and I only ever use water. As you all know, anti-freeze is slippery and doesn't evaporate very quickly leaving the race track quite interesting.PaulMB

Don't you ever worry that someone (not thinking) will try to start it Paul? I would have thought it was OK with water when it's stored in a nice warm showroom, or am I being a bit durrrr :)

#6 Leif A Nielsen

Leif A Nielsen

• 218 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:08

Hi,

Think I will be the first to post a WWW on part 2 of this interesting forum. It’s a tricky one, properly only the rider with # 1 will be recognized, as he later became a World Champion!
Don’t bother with # 29 it’s me :lol: :blush:

Have a nice weekend,
Leif :wave:

PS! Hope this thread will last as long as the first one, for me this is a place to jog my memory of what happened years ago, and learn things I did not know before.

Posted Image

#7 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:32

Salzburgring...only two ww's left to go.

Mo

#8 Leif A Nielsen

Leif A Nielsen

• 218 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:26

Originally posted by MoMurray
Salzburgring...only two ww's left to go.

Mo

Hi Mo,

Yes it’s Salzburg Ring, my wife found those pictures in a box, can’t find the program from that meeting, but here is another picture and a clue, # 3 is from Austria and still involved in GP racing..

Cheers,
Leif

Posted Image

#9 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:41

That's the brilliant engineer Harold Bartol. I had a chance to know him a little during the eighties and aside from his deep technical understanding he was also quite a nice guy as I remember. Big Cheese at KTM now.

#10 antony duprat

antony duprat

• 979 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:49

Originally posted by Macca

Having a pop at the moderator as well as other posters is pretty futile........

Meanwhile...........................

We talked some pages ago about why Mamola was second in the WC many times but never champ. In 1979 he took over Baldwin's 500 ride on the Zago RG after doing some 250 GPs on a Bimota Yam, and got the 1980 works Suzuki ride on the basis of very few GPs, and actually didn't think he had the speed to beat Roberts until he did so (having the improved Full-Floater XR helped) by which time he was too far back on points.

1981 should have been his year, but everybody except 'Lucky' had bad luck or unreliability. In 1982 he was on the wrong tyres; the 1983 flexi-flyer XR45 was well past its sell-by date; Honda thought Spencer could win in 1984 on his own until too late and too many injuries, and Mamola and the other Honda boys were always second-class citizens as far as getting the good bikes; same in 1985 only more so.

The question I wonder about is why he didn't do better with Kenny's team; did they not get the same bits as Ago's?

And I think someone asked a while back about the last RGs to race in 500 GPs? WWW are these guys, on IIRC two of the last three RGs seen in 500 GPs?

Paul M
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claude Albert and Andy Leuthe ? 1989 ?

The last to take the start with a RG was, i think, Andy Leuthe in 1991...this year the Chilian V. Cascino was DNQ at the Tchech GP...1989 was the real last season with many RG entrants

:wave:

#11 PaulMB

PaulMB

• 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:08

Originally posted by mfd

Don't you ever worry that someone (not thinking) will try to start it Paul? I would have thought it was OK with water when it's stored in a nice warm showroom, or am I being a bit durrrr :)

Hi Mike,

Yes I do, these things are just irreplaceable so I almost never do it. Distilled water with plenty of inhibitor is probably OK but I just worry about them. Tell the owner and put a re-useable label on it to inform them of no water and it's usually OK. Most people get used to my funny ways and remember, after a couple of times, that there is no water so it's not that bad.

PaulMB

#12 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:28

Originally posted by Leif A Nielsen

Hi Mo,

Yes it’s Salzburg Ring, my wife found those pictures in a box, can’t find the program from that meeting, but here is another picture and a clue, # 3 is from Austria and still involved in GP racing..

Cheers,
Leif

Posted Image

A wild guess but is no7 Mario Lega ?

#13 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:56

Hi,

Think I will be the first to post a WWW on part 2 of this interesting forum. It’s a tricky one, properly only the rider with # 1 will be recognized, as he later became a World Champion!

Have a nice weekend,

PS! Hope this thread will last as long as the first one, for me this is a place to jog my memory of what happened years ago, and learn things I did not know before.

Posted Image

#22 Chas Mortimer, 1976?

#14 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:57

Hi Mo,

Cheers,
Leif

Posted Image

#7 Kent Anderson?

#15 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY

• 214 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:12

just checking to see if I was banned................

loving those photos of the Cagiva components and the the comparisons...

to quote Master Oliver Twist 'Please, sir, I want some more.' :)

#16 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:52

Originally posted by LamboNZ
#7 Kent Anderson?

That's affirmative from me too Nigel, the late KA, whose son has now slotted in his place at the Classic Yamaha Racing Team.
#22 isn't Chas Mortimer, whose helmet was always an orangy red & white. Made me think of Uncini, but doubt it is...wasn't he a Harley rider about this time?

#17 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:59

Hi Mike, these things are just irreplaceable...Tell the owner and put a re-useable label on it to inform them of no water and it's usually OK

I guess Paul, it stops them being tempted to fire it up just to impress someone unnecessarily! Moreover it cements the owners connection with yourself. I can imagine them ringing up for your approval or instructions ;)

#18 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY

• 214 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:08

WWW backroom boys ....bit bigger!

Posted Image

#19 bobness

bobness

• 257 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:44

Originally posted by ESSEXBOY
WWW backroom boys ....bit bigger!

Posted Image

Back to normality.....phew.

Is that the 1984 Honda RS850 (IIRC)?
Gorgeous sounding thing if it is.

And is #22 Tom Herron or Clive Horton?
And am I allowed 2 guesses? (and they are that, albeit slightly educated ones...)

Advertisement

#20 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:53

My guess on the where is the garage in Douglas that Honda used at the IOM TT.

Mo

#21 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY

• 214 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 13:05

HONDA RS850 1984 :clap:

GARAGE IOM DOUGLAS :clap:

THE PEOPLE???................ :confused:

#22 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 14:16

Wilf?

#23 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 14:19

The original thread will remain accessible for reference and the like, so don't panic that it's gone for ever; that's not the case.

and for anyone looking for the original thread, it starts here
http://forums.autosp...&threadid=75658

#24 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 15:39

:wave: :wave: I am home!!(early) took me a while to find you all though, here's to the next 15000 in what!? 2years!!?;) :wave:

#25 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 15:41

Hi,

Have a nice weekend,

Posted Image

No one has said Jon Ekerold,?

#26 chrisb

chrisb

• 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 15:58

HONDA RS850 1984 :clap:

GARAGE IOM DOUGLAS :clap:

Dave Sleat?

BTW paul, stunning pics of the Cagiva in the last few days. Keep them coming of all the priceless stuff that comes through your hands!

#27 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 16:04

Originally posted by chrisb

Dave Sleat?

BTW paul, stunning pics of the Cagiva in the last few days. Keep them coming of all the priceless stuff that comes through your hands!

Chris, did you get my pm re the photos you sent a couple of weeks a go? I could not open them? :( :wave:

#28 TZ350

TZ350

• 789 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 16:16

Allo fu, chris b et alll celebrating my half century today :eek: :rolleyes: :blush: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: glad to see you all hear !
asked Twin window very nicely if , due to the amount of posts, we have had , if we could possibly have our own sub forum with different sections ( including probably one for special projects eg Paul MB and those fantastic pics of the Cagiva etc), missing / lost friends but still have a main thread . this way I beleive the thread would never get too big but we can still have loads of fun and talk as much bull sh*t as usual
Fu you go away and look what happens !

#29 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 16:26

congratulations. :clap:

#30 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY

• 214 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 16:59

Wilf? no

Dave Sleat? correct :clap:

what about the other one?

#31 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 18:23

Have a good one Julian I will raise a glass to you shortly :drunk: :stoned: :kiss: :rolleyes: :smoking: :up: :up:

#32 chrisb

chrisb

• 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 18:28

Originally posted by TZ350
Allo fu, chris b et alll celebrating my half century today :eek: :rolleyes: :blush: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: glad to see you all hear !
asked Twin window very nicely if , due to the amount of posts, we have had , if we could possibly have our own sub forum with different sections ( including probably one for special projects eg Paul MB and those fantastic pics of the Cagiva etc), missing / lost friends but still have a main thread . this way I beleive the thread would never get too big but we can still have loads of fun and talk as much bull sh*t as usual
Fu you go away and look what happens !

many happy returns - good luck on the next 50!

#33 chrisb

chrisb

• 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 18:29

Originally posted by picblanc

Chris, did you get my pm re the photos you sent a couple of weeks a go? I could not open them? :( :wave:

cant say i did but hotmail playing up.i'll have a look

chris

#34 PaulMB

PaulMB

• 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 18:37

Wilf? no

Dave Sleat? correct :clap:

what about the other one?

Ron Williams?

PaulMB

#35 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 18:38

WWW? not easy?
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#36 PaulMB

PaulMB

• 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 18:42

How about this for another piece of machining art? Totally over the top to adjust pedal height, but you do because you can. Bolt has 8mm head. Rear of footplates are machined out to save weight, because you can.

Posted Image

PaulMB

#37 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 18:46

Hi Paul I presume you don't have a Haynes Cagiva 500 manual? so how do you know the settings tolerances etc etc, this is a question from someone who cant even programme the VHS/DVD recorder!! :blush: :blush:

#38 Leif A Nielsen

Leif A Nielsen

• 218 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 19:21

No one has said Jon Ekerold,?

Hi,

The 2 pictures are from Salzburg Ring 1977, it was an International meeting called Motorradfestival.
I can’t find the program anymore, but # 1 is Jon Ekerold, # 3 is Harald Bartol and # 22 is a German rider Harald Johler, who unfortunately lost his life 2 years later in Karvina in former Czechoslovakia :cry: .

Cheers,
Leif

#39 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY

• 214 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 19:25

Ron Williams? correct

PaulMB :clap:

love that picture,

Ron (MAXTON) Williams always was a little bit shy :love:

Advertisement

#40 Leif A Nielsen

Leif A Nielsen

• 218 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 19:28

WWW? not easy?
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

Hi,

Its August Auinger from Austria with # 38 on a Bartol 250, think it is 1984? Judging by the weather it must be in England :rotfl:

Cheers,
Leif

#41 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 19:35

Nicked this one of the other BIG thread :( one of Phils, there doesn't appear to have been an answer?
Posted Image

Phil Henderson....or Steve Wright?....I bet he doesn't know the answer anyway!!? :p

#42 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 19:37

Hi,

Its August Auinger from Austria with # 38 on a Bartol 250, think it is 1984? Judging by the weather it must be in England :rotfl:

Cheers,
Leif

Hi Leif, yes its August Auinger on #38, Silverstone 1984.
You got anymore pictures in that box!!?;)

Page 2 already!! :clap:

#43 PaulMB

PaulMB

• 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 19:41

Hi Paul I presume you don't have a Haynes Cagiva 500 manual? so how do you know the settings tolerances etc etc, this is a question from someone who cant even programme the VHS/DVD recorder!! :blush: :blush:

You're right, Haynes don't do one, must get on to them.

Well, most of the time I just go on the torques and tolerances used on other Japanese road and race bikes, but mainly following the torques and settings of the RG500/RGV500/GS/GSX/GSX-R's. Standard Japanese sizes, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm bolts/nuts etc, unless made of something like unobtanium, will take a certain torque so you know what the maximum load is that you can apply. Adjust it down for alloy unless it's anodized, maybe up if it's titanium or maybe if it has an odd thread. You know what each fastener has got to do or hold and how the fixing is being used and you get a feel for it. It's all experience really. Though there is a bit of luck sometimes too.

And I can't get stuff recorded on my Sky box transfered onto my hard drive or onto DVD, how do I do that?

PaulMB

#44 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 19:51

And I can't get stuff recorded on my Sky box transfered onto my hard drive or onto DVD, how do I do that?

PaulMB

I don't know :confused: but I do know that the recordings on the Sky box hard drive dont last for ever they apparently disappear on their own after a few weeks (so my daughter tells me!! :confused: :blush: )

#45 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 19:56

You're right, Haynes don't do one, must get on to them.

Well, most of the time I just go on the torques and tolerances used on other Japanese road and race bikes, but mainly following the torques and settings of the RG500/RGV500/GS/GSX/GSX-R's. Standard Japanese sizes, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm bolts/nuts etc, unless made of something like unobtanium, will take a certain torque so you know what the maximum load is that you can apply. Adjust it down for alloy unless it's anodized, maybe up if it's titanium or maybe if it has an odd thread. You know what each fastener has got to do or hold and how the fixing is being used and you get a feel for it. It's all experience really. Though there is a bit of luck sometimes too.
PaulMB

So its years experience and delicate feel then? Something I don't posses.... I sheared a wheel nut stud off on my car when tightening the wheel nuts back up after a wheel change!! :

#46 PaulMB

PaulMB

• 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 20:30

So its years experience and delicate feel then? Something I don't posses.... I sheared a wheel nut stud off on my car when tightening the wheel nuts back up after a wheel change!! :

I've managed to shear my share of heavy duty bolts as well. The first bike I worked on in a bike dealership was a KH100/KH125 or something and I had to drain the oil. When I looked underneath I got my left and right back to front and broke the drain bolt. Luckily it didn't strip the threads in the cases actually, just sheared off the thread which then undid, luckily by hand.

Tighten it 'till it strips and then back it off 1/8th of a turn so it locks up solid!?!

#47 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 21:11

Nicked this one of the other BIG thread :( one of Phils, there doesn't appear to have been an answer?
Posted Image

Phil Henderson....or Steve Wright?....I bet he doesn't know the answer anyway!!? :p

i answered it!.i said parrish? looks like the old*killer* paddock bend?

#48 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 22:06

Originally posted by mfd

That's affirmative from me too Nigel, the late KA, whose son has now slotted in his place at the Classic Yamaha Racing Team.
#22 isn't Chas Mortimer, whose helmet was always an orangy red & white.

True, except for 1975 when it was a metallic with one white stripe over the top to match the paint job on his Danfay/Sarome TZ750.... remember that Imola 200 pic back on the other thread.  ;)

#49 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 22:12

I don't know but I do know that the recordings on the Sky box hard drive dont last for ever they apparently disappear on their own after a few weeks (so my daughter tells me!! )

no,they shouldent do that.the only things that dissapear are the pay per view movies (sky box office)i think they stay on hard drive for 5 days so you can watch the film as many times as you like before then.

#50 Leif A Nielsen

Leif A Nielsen

• 218 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:56

Hi Leif, yes its August Auinger on #38, Silverstone 1984.
You got anymore pictures in that box!!?;)

Page 2 already!! :clap:

Hi Fu ,

Scanned a few more pictures (sorry for the quality), there is 2 of the guys on the podium I can’t remember the name of… either it’s my age or alcohol consumption :blush:
I am sure some of you will recognize them; also the sponsor name on the board should give the country away (at least for the beer drinkers in this forum). :rotfl:

Back to the Merlot. :p

Leif

Posted Image

Posted Image