Photo

Motorcycle racing 1969-1990 nostalgia 2

• Please log in to reply
22856 replies to this topic

#16501 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 13:46

On the subject of 'Easy Start' it's said that once it's used, an engine gets addicted to it, which is true. It dissolves the carbon deposits on the piston crowns and combustion chamber, which reduces the compression even more.

Those were the days,you could have a real good time,have a great weekends racing ...................then the problem of packing up and starting the bloody van :| I had some real good times and some great laffs too

Edited by mba21, 11 March 2010 - 13:48.

Advertisement

#16502 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 15:15

I had one of those bloody York Transits for a while too, my Rhodesian ex car racer mechanic was a whizz auto sparks and rigged up a twin battery, twin alternator setup. The thing was still hell to start but it took alot longer for the batteries to go flat :up:

#16503 Leif A Nielsen

Leif A Nielsen

• 218 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 15:35

They are some hospitality suite the old transit race van,waking up in the morning freezing and soaking wet from all the condensation dripping from the roof,trying to squeeze into ice cold leathers that are stiff as cardboard for half an hour till your body heat warms them up.

My one had a lovely red stripe down one side,only one side though cos my dad ran out of paint........................priceless :lol:

How are you getting on with your project Leif?....any more pics?

Hi,

Going real slow, this thing “work” keep getting in the way!!
But the Yamaha is in Denmark now, and it looks like a I will get my license back after 27 years.. :clap:
So hopefully I will be able to do a few meetings this year, planning on going to Spa in June.

-Leif :)

#16504 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,673 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 15:44

I don't know what kind of rep Ford diesels had in general, but years ago I bought an old Sierra dirt cheap, a real snotter, just as a runabout. It had starship mileage on it but the 2.3 Peugot diesel in it was a gem, never been touched apart from normal servicing, didn't consume oil and would cruise all day at 85-90.

Edited by exclubracer, 11 March 2010 - 15:47.

#16505 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:05

On the subject of 'Easy Start' it's said that once it's used, an engine gets addicted to it, which is true. It dissolves the carbon deposits on the piston crowns and combustion chamber, which reduces the compression even more.

Easy start is also great for putting old cats to sleep with less trauma :wave:

David

#16506 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:14

Easy start is also great for putting old cats to sleep with less trauma :wave:

David

Mmmmmmm my moggy just shot outta the room :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#16507 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,673 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:23

Mmmmmmm my moggy just shot outta the room :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WHAT???

Your cat's on TNF??

Whatever will they think of next? I must be getting old :rolleyes:

#16508 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:39

WHAT???

Your cat's on TNF??

Whatever will they think of next? I must be getting old :rolleyes:

TNF ?

#16509 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:50

Isn't it Dave Petersen ?

It was last time we had it! :rolleyes:

#16510 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:54

TNF ?

THE NOSTALGIA FORUM!

#16511 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:56

THE NOSTALGIA FORUM!

Ooooops :blush:

#16512 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 17:41

Nobody knows this one then rider is Paul Baynton

Did Paul not ride LCs too?

Snet?

David

#16513 bony36

bony36

• 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 19:11

Dave Simmonds 125 Kawasaki

Yes , it is Dave Simmonds.
Has anybody got any pictures of the 125cc Kawasaki KA 1 he won the 1969 world championship on without a fairing ie; paddock shots.
I am restoring this bike and it would be a big help.
Thankyou.

#16514 royston

royston

• 73 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 19:40

When I went to oz for the island classic me and a few of the other riders were highly amused to see their version of easy start.

Called "Start ya bastard"

Brilliant! :rotfl: :rotfl:

#16515 pushstart

pushstart

• 86 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 21:59

A Brands paddock shot from 1972ish. And I bet that most of you can name at least 3 people in this picture!
Posted Image

#16516 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 22:02

Ray Pickrell, is the guy on right Ted Broad? not sure of rider on left, 1972 Trans Trophy?

#16517 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 22:18

Ray Pickrell, is the guy on right Ted Broad? not sure of rider on left, 1972 Trans Trophy?

Mrs Pickrell and Mrs Broad :rotfl:

David

#16518 chrisb

chrisb

• 173 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 22:29

Yup. I can just imagine the dialogue: TB: 'It's a four stroke - they're gonna be dead soon, so I'll give you a tenner for scrap' RP: 'See that hill over there? Kent County Council are going to build a motorway there soon called the M20, and I'm going to put you underneath it'.

Or something similar...

#16519 BrianFlakKawasaki

BrianFlakKawasaki

• 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 22:31

More paddock shots please!!! :wave: :cool:

Advertisement

#16520 pushstart

pushstart

• 86 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 22:45

Well yes it's Ray Pickrell and Ted Broad alright. I don't know who the two are on the left but for a clue as to who the lady on the right is, have a look at the quiff of hair that can be seen behind Ray.

#16521 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 23:04

Herr,

Ah – good old 1970’s van life!! None of your motor homes and hospitality suites back then!

We had an old VW transporter that Stafford picked up cheap. On our way back from Gaydon on a boiling hot day in 76, we suddenly had this awful banging coming from the back – like someone hitting the bodywork with a hammer! We pulled into a lay-by and found a great lump of tyre hanging off – the remould had started to separate. We put the spare on, and a few miles up the road it happened again. The rest of the journey was spent with a hacksaw on the dashboard, stopping to cut off great chunks of remould tread every 15 minutes or so until there was nothing left to cut off! We got home at about 1am – down to the worn out original tread on all four wheels!

ATB

Ray :wave:

#16522 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 23:06

Herr,

Ah – good old 1970’s van life!! None of your motor homes and hospitality suites back then!

We had an old VW transporter that Stafford picked up cheap. On our way back from Gaydon on a boiling hot day in 76, we suddenly had this awful banging coming from the back – like someone hitting the bodywork with a hammer! We pulled into a lay-by and found a great lump of tyre hanging off – the remould had started to separate. We put the spare on, and a few miles up the road it happened again. The rest of the journey was spent with a hacksaw on the dashboard, stopping to cut off great chunks of remould tread every 15 minutes or so until there was nothing left to cut off! We got home at about 1am – down to the worn out original tread on all four wheels!

ATB

You wouldnt have missed a min of it though would you Ray :rotfl:

#16523 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 23:33

Well yes it's Ray Pickrell and Ted Broad alright. I don't know who the two are on the left but for a clue as to who the lady on the right is, have a look at the quiff of hair that can be seen behind Ray.

Ah yes Margaret Sheene/Smart.

#16524 pushstart

pushstart

• 86 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 00:27

Yes indeed it is :clap:

#16525 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:14

Good morning one and all :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: from the city of dreaming spires :rolleyes:

Just a quickie for those computer boffins on here,if you use Mozilla firefox as your browser and you manually refresh your forum pages,try using this its brilliant,but it only works with firefox http://reloadevery.m...org/thanks.html it allows you to specify how often your HTML page refreshes.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by mba21, 12 March 2010 - 09:02.

#16526 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:19

MBA,

I certainly wouldn't have - it was all an adventure - but didn't always seem like it at the time!!

The old VW served us well, We used to pack up to three bikes and tons of gear into it - with a little stand device to hold the front wheels in place halfway up the engine bay. 0-60 when loaded seemed like about 5 minutes - you had to keep the speed up!!

Edited by Ray Oldam, 12 March 2010 - 09:24.

#16527 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:25

MBA,

I certainly wouldn't - it was all an adventure - but didn't always seem like it at the time!!

The old VW served us well, We used to pack up to three bikes and tons of gear into it - with a little stand device to hold the front wheels in place halfway up the engine bay. 0-60 when loaded seemed like about 5 minutes - you had to keep the speed up!!

I think in this day and age most club racers roll up in the best of transport,but we used to turn up like a load o travellers on a day out :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#16528 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:57

I think in this day and age most club racers roll up in the best of transport,but we used to turn up like a load o travellers on a day out :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This sort of illustrates the point!!
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Eheridge, racebikepics.

Went to Brands MRO a couple of years a go, everyone had Campers/Caravans and workshop tented awnings!!

#16529 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:04

Posted Image

Went to Brands MRO a couple of years a go, everyone had Campers/Caravans and workshop tented awnings!!

Good old snett on a wet weekend :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Love that drop side transit with missing headlamp :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Edited by mba21, 12 March 2010 - 10:05.

#16530 GD66

GD66

• 2,161 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:24

Still a few Thames and Commers to be seen in the paddock, but what a crappy day ! Wouldn't mind a few bob for every meeting I've been home from as a youngster :drunk: with my brother and his mates over the years, sitting cross-eyed but warm on the Thames engine cover....

#16531 kerrowmoar

kerrowmoar

• 560 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:40

Posted Image

Brilliant

The aforementioned washing/wc facilities look almost new :|

#16532 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:50

Good old snett on a wet weekend :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Love that drop side transit with missing headlamp :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ah yes, the local pikeys doing a bit of early Christmas shopping. :lol:

#16533 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 13:08

Ah yes, the local pikeys doing a bit of early Christmas shopping. :lol:

Well spotted rhodie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#16534 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 17:19

Looks like nobody knows this one rider is Mark Edge

Hello i'm back....Yes Mark Edge...My Brother (LC RIDER) Bought his LC from Mark Edge...

#16535 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 17:51

Did Paul not ride LCs too?

Snet?

David

No David if i can remember 125's then raced a TZ 350...In forgotten era races....

#16536 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 17:55

Well spotted rhodie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi mba21 i sent you a friend's request on FB...(RG500 PICTURE PROFILE)

#16537 LCRider

LCRider

• 77 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 21:02

Hi Bruv and all.

I did indeed - Mark was a hard rider but was not as quick as Langan, Allott etc with whom he often diced. The bike was quick but it seized on me at a Snett test session (long story but the pipes weren't exactly legal on the original machine)

Anyway Mark went on to ride the bike seen in the picture which was a F2 spec machine and he won afew races with it. I remember him exiting the club hairpin @ Cadwell and pulling away (in first presumably) without needing to slip the clutch - so good torque

After the first season riding it I am not sure what he did? Bryan any idea?

An earlier shot (I think) in this forum - My PC has been extensively repaired! - Had Alan Robinson smiling and interviewing riders on the startline @ Donnington. I actually co-comentated a meeting @ Brands - I think it was actually more than one but anyway I was out in the boondocks Sterlings? Alan was a consumate professional - and still is - even if he did tend to over elaborate on the sponsorship deals. He certainly gave me some space even though it was difficult to estimate where the leaders might be when the turned away and out of sight before returning thro clearways.

I am still hoping to recover some of my shots off slides - I am some interesting ones from the period in question. Though with commentating and marshalling as well as sort of competing I didn't have much time to take shots

#16538 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 21:29

Hi Bruv and all.

I did indeed - Mark was a hard rider but was not as quick as Langan, Allott etc with whom he often diced. The bike was quick but it seized on me at a Snett test session (long story but the pipes weren't exactly legal on the original machine)

Anyway Mark went on to ride the bike seen in the picture which was a F2 spec machine and he won afew races with it. I remember him exiting the club hairpin @ Cadwell and pulling away (in first presumably) without needing to slip the clutch - so good torque

After the first season riding it I am not sure what he did? Bryan any idea?

An earlier shot (I think) in this forum - My PC has been extensively repaired! - Had Alan Robinson smiling and interviewing riders on the startline @ Donnington. I actually co-comentated a meeting @ Brands - I think it was actually more than one but anyway I was out in the boondocks Sterlings? Alan was a consumate professional - and still is - even if he did tend to over elaborate on the sponsorship deals. He certainly gave me some space even though it was difficult to estimate where the leaders might be when the turned away and out of sight before returning thro clearways.

I am still hoping to recover some of my shots off slides - I am some interesting ones from the period in question. Though with commentating and marshalling as well as sort of competing I didn't have much time to take shots

Hi bruv ! :wave:

#16539 LCRider

LCRider

• 77 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 22:14

Hi bruv ! :wave:

Did you see my post about the Transatlantic Snetterton meeting?

Advertisement

#16540 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 22:18

Did you see my post about the Transatlantic Snetterton meeting?

Yes dumb dumb got it wrong :blush: :blush: ...I comentated with Fred Clark...at westfield's looking for snipers :rotfl: ...The Late Allen Robinson (RIP)....Passed away a couple of years ago

#16541 PaulMB

PaulMB

• 432 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 22:19

Posted Image

A modern pic of a beautifully restored RG (MK7?), judging by the pit wall which is fenced in. No idea who the rider is.
Stu liked his dark glasses, so maybe him?

No, not Stu and not Dave Petersen either. It is a 7 with later 8 pipes and brakes, and it is the one I restored early last year. And the rider is... Keith Zeeman. Piccie from Killarney Gardens Raceway, Cape Town, South Africa this February.

#16542 LCRider

LCRider

• 77 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 23:39

Bruv

[As you say...

Must be age thing

#16543 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 23:53

No, not Stu and not Dave Petersen either. It is a 7 with later 8 pipes and brakes, and it is the one I restored early last year. And the rider is... Keith Zeeman. Piccie from Killarney Gardens Raceway, Cape Town, South Africa this February.

Tiz a lovely job done Paul. :up:

#16544 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 00:56

good morning :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

#16545 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:01

A lovely and unusual picture I just found on the web - credited to Roger Kirby .

Posted Image

It was captioned as displaying Pat riding the "ex-Geoff Perry TR 750" , which might need to be confirmed although the fairing does carry the name of Len Perry's motorcycles shop. For my part, I had always thought that Pat had first come to the Marlboro series with the "Ron Grant Special" TR750 that he used in the US in his first junior year (1973).

The year is said to be 1974 , does anybody know if this mean the 73/74 or 74/75 winter ? I'm not sure how many times Pat raced there, I'm fairly sure he was there in the 75/76 series with the brand new 500 RG but not sure how many times before . I have not found much infos on the Marlboro series at all on the web.

And the circuit is said to "cross a railroad" which makes me think it must be Wanganui Cemetery ?

Anyway, if our experts from down under would care to comment , please do ! Including you who took part - Murray, Jeff, Stu ?

#16546 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:04

Morning philippe :wave:

#16547 GD66

GD66

• 2,161 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:31

That is indeed Geoff's TR750. The circuit looks more like Gracefield (Wellington) than Wanganui, however both had railway tracks. I'm picking that would be the '73/'74 season, the following year Pat had an updated model that was ex-USA, and I think the last of the TR750s, then the year after it was the RG500s. Pat's first tour of NZ under Ron Grant's wing the year before the Marlboro series was aboard the Jon Allnatt-built Sayonara Special, a lovely little TR500-based weapon with mag wheels.

Edited by GD66, 13 March 2010 - 01:32.

#16548 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:01

Excellent, thanks a lot :up: Exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for !

Considering the lack of comprehensive information on the web about the Marlboro Series ( or the Swann Series, for that matter ) maybe we should set up a separate thread on this forum to collect all of the information and pictures available from the knowledgeable people here .

#16549 gmwzorro

gmwzorro

• 2,498 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 20:25

Posted Image

#16550 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 21:09

Eugene McManus? :wave:

David