Jump to content


Photo

Motorcycle racing 1969-1990 nostalgia 2


  • Please log in to reply
22863 replies to this topic

#151 antony duprat

antony duprat
  • Member

  • 977 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 02 September 2008 - 21:21

Originally posted by picblanc


This one?
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

Could be? Front brake set up has changed?
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

i think yes...I tell you more tommorow...Here it's eleven and i've school :wave:
The same at Spa
http://www.highsider...Balde_85_02.htm

Advertisement

#152 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 02 September 2008 - 21:24

Originally posted by antony duprat

i think yes...I tell you more tommorow...Here it's eleven and i've school :wave:


Bonuit Antony :wave:

#153 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 02 September 2008 - 21:26

Originally posted by antony duprat

i think yes...I tell you more tommorow...Here it's eleven and i've school :wave:
The same at Spa
http://www.highsider...Balde_85_02.htm


Same brake set up in Manfreds picture of Balde as my Sarron one!? but different to Silverstone. :confused:

#154 Leif A Nielsen

Leif A Nielsen
  • Member

  • 218 posts
  • Joined: January 07

Posted 02 September 2008 - 22:04

Originally posted by picblanc


Same brake set up in Manfreds picture of Balde as my Sarron one!? but different to Silverstone. :confused:


Good evening :)


Hello,

Very interesting, both Christian Sarron’s 1984 250 Yamaha and the J.F Balde Pernod Chevallier1985 bikes are for sale by the same company in France have a look at those two links and enjoy the pictures.

http://www.classic-m...ef=FA20&Lang=en

http://www.classic-m...ef=FA44&Lang=en

-Leif :wave:

PS! Think I will mortgage my house, cash in my retirement plan and put a deposit on one of those 2 bikes :stoned: :rotfl:

#155 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA
  • Member

  • 586 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:00

Originally posted by philippe7


Was he at the TZ Club de France meeting by any chance ? ;)

OK, I don't think the Britons will recognize him without the splendid moustache he used to wear in those days ...

It is Thierry Tchernine

Indeed, scored points in 125, 250 and 500 Grand Prix

His biography on the Bike70 website : http://www.bike70.com/Tchernine.html


Big smile to :D at http://www.courseshi.../en/accueil.php

Posted Image

#156 philippe7

philippe7
  • Member

  • 2,777 posts
  • Joined: August 03

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:25

This "Classic Motorbike" website is the one of the company that Hubert Rigal either works for , or owns ( fully or partly ) , I'm not sure

From memory the 1985 Pernod saga goes as such : at the beginning of the year , the Pernod management realised that their original design, which had not significantly evolved since the original drawings of 1981 , was starting to become totally outdated and uncompetitive against the japanese machinery . They were not prepared to fund a complete new design ( which would have been the only solution if they had been really serious about it ) but still decided to hire Alain Chevallier, who had gained a serious reputation with the bikes he had built with his own frames and self-tweaked Yamaha engines, with the mission to build a new frame and to do what he could to improve the old engine . This produced the bike which is advertised for sale in the linked page .

But this desperate attempt did not produce the expected miracle, the machine sadly proved uncompetitive, tensions appeared between the Pernod company head office and the bike racing team, and mid season the owners decided to call it a day and shut down the factory team, but still gave a budget to Jean-François Baldé in order to finish the season. From the Belgian Grand Prix onwards, I think Baldé had a choice of two bikes , the Pernod/Chevallier frame he had started the season with, but with a Yamaha engine fitted , and a real TZ, indeed one of Christian Sarron's previous year championship winning machines. He used the TZ, branded in Pernod colours, most of the time .

#157 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:49

Morning!! :wave: How do you rate this guy? (keep it clean and not slanderous ;) :D ) I loved watching the guy...but then again I never shared a race track with him, was he wild as was said at the time by many, or just really quick and seemingly fearless. :eek:
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#158 GD66

GD66
  • Member

  • 2,171 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:15

He was bloody quick, without doubt, and roadracers the world over dream of his strength/weight ratio. That he was at times er, a little erratic, is well known and well documented, but he was brave as hell, and was right in the ballpark when power to weight ratios were handed out for racing in the small capacity classes, let alone a GP 500. Have seen him pull off some great wins in his younger years on the George Huse MBA 125, and TZ250, and couldn't help but spot him popping up from time to time in GB, the Continent, and even Daytona. I think his Loopy reputation was a little exaggerated, but to return to my original observation, he was Bloody Quick.... :cool:

#159 andyb1963

andyb1963
  • Member

  • 648 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:02

This guy has some awesome videos !
Some great stuff
Enjoy :clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#160 stuavant

stuavant
  • Member

  • 704 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:25

Originally posted by GD66
He was bloody quick, without doubt, and roadracers the world over dream of his strength/weight ratio. That he was at times er, a little erratic, is well known and well documented, but he was brave as hell, and was right in the ballpark when power to weight ratios were handed out for racing in the small capacity classes, let alone a GP 500. Have seen him pull off some great wins in his younger years on the George Huse MBA 125, and TZ250, and couldn't help but spot him popping up from time to time in GB, the Continent, and even Daytona. I think his Loopy reputation was a little exaggerated, but to return to my original observation, he was Bloody Quick.... :cool:

No comment :lol:

#161 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:28

Originally posted by stuavant
No comment :lol:

Come on Stu, say what you gotta say. :) I never saw the lad ride, but he did have a bit of a reputation didn´t he.

#162 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:09

Originally posted by andyb1963
This guy has some awesome videos !
Some great stuff
Enjoy :clap: :clap:


:up: Excellent ! At some of the races I was as a spectator :)

#163 TZ350

TZ350
  • Member

  • 789 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 03 September 2008 - 14:26

Originally posted by stuavant
No comment :lol:

I'd second that :lol: although some times his antics reminded me a little of the fairy tale rumplstiltskin ( stamping a hole through the floor) PMSL!!! :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#164 renzo

renzo
  • Member

  • 821 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 14:53

well he was different!,and certainly not affraid to go beyond the limit.
one of those charracters we need in racing at the moment.

#165 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 15:17

I worked with Lewie in '86 on the carbon bikes, the year we went to reeds from discs. Lewie was fun to be around, on and off the track. I have some great stories but not sure I can tell them.

Frustrating sometimes though to work with as he fell down a bit, probably trying to impress when just relaxing and riding fast would have done it and he would probably have done better with us. He knew it was a short contract and that the V4 was imminent, it actually appeared at Misano, the last round of that season; Galina had been showing it in Italy. We came home to the UK and 2 days later I went back to the Galina workshops to collect it with a van and bring it to the UK. We then had a scout around it and tested at Donington which is where the group photo was taken on page 4 of the old forum, Maccas post 135.



#166 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 16:25

Who is this and what model is it? it looks odd to me!!? :confused:
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#167 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 03 September 2008 - 16:45

Stating the obvious, it's Alphonsito Pons...

#168 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 18:08

Originally posted by fines
Stating the obvious, it's Alphonsito Pons...


Someone had to Michael ;) :clap: :clap: Aye tiz Alphonso Pons.

#169 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 20:45

Just me tonight then? :| WWW? I like this one!! :D
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#170 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 03 September 2008 - 20:51

The name's Lüscher, but I don't recall the first name... Peter? Bruno?? Stefan???

EDIT: Oh, and early eighties at Silverstone, I'd guess... :blush:

#171 sterling49

sterling49
  • Member

  • 10,811 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 20:52

...and me, but I know nought mate! :blush:

Could be Bottom Straight at Brands though......

#172 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 20:53

Originally posted by sterling49
...and me, but I know nought mate! :blush:

Could be Bottom Straight at Brands though......


:wave: could be Sterling but more central UK than that.

#173 andyb1963

andyb1963
  • Member

  • 648 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 20:54

Bruno is correct I think :up:

#174 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 20:56

Originally posted by fines
The name's Lüscher, but I don't recall the first name... Peter? Bruno?? Stefan???

EDIT: Oh, and early eighties at Silverstone, I'd guess... :blush:


:clap: :clap: Bruno Luscher 1983 (again!! : ) Silverstone :up: :wave:
I don't have those two dots(above the u) on my keyboard, what are they called Michael?

Omlout or something similar? :

#175 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 03 September 2008 - 21:00

Umlauts ;)

#176 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 21:00

Originally posted by fines
Umlauts ;)


Ahhh! Thank you :wave:

#177 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,877 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 03 September 2008 - 21:07

Originally posted by picblanc
:wave: could be Sterling but more central UK than that.

Yes it's pic:wave:bla:wave:ncs favourite Silverstone spot

#178 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 21:08

I will leave you with this one for tonight, Who and what is it? Yes I know its small but they have been to easy lately....clue well known rider with a well known family & he is from England. The bike not so well known!!
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#179 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 03 September 2008 - 21:12

Stuart Graham, Snetterton?

Advertisement

#180 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 21:13

Originally posted by mfd

Yes it's pic:wave:bla:wave:ncs favourite Silverstone spot


It was the only place that you could get close enough (even with a 200mm telephoto lens!!) to the track for piccys, for those of us not lucky enough to get track side passes (like a certain person on here who is on his hols at the moment :p :wave: )
Now even that spot has gone :(

#181 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 21:15

Originally posted by fines
Stuart Graham, Snetterton?


Snetters is right of course. This guy had a well known son.

#182 renzo

renzo
  • Member

  • 821 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 03 September 2008 - 21:32

tony jeffries,on a suzuki?

#183 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:00

Originally posted by antony duprat

Thanks..Have you some pic of my German friend Michael Wild ?, an ex RG500 privateer :wave:


I have checked my pictures and all programmes of races where I took pictures - I did not find him.

But while digging through my old programmes I found something which amazed me: In the entry list for the 'Formula 1' race (500/750 two-strokes combined with 1200cc four-strokes) in May 1980 in Hockenheim there is an entry for Alex George on a Cagiva. Did Alex George really ever rode a Cagiva ?

#184 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:05

Let's start the day with a WWH (Who and When in Hockenheim) - category 'difficult up to impossible'

Posted Image

#185 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:41

:wave: Another (maybe stupid) question by me - in the collection of YouTube videos we yesterday thankfully were made aware of there is a video of the 350cc WC race in Hockenheim from 1981



Close to the end of the video it is shown how Jon Ekerold and numerous other riders crash in the second chicane because of an oil trace on the track surface. I always had the impression that oil traces were predominantly a problem of races in which four-stroke bikes participated. Is that only my impression ?
And if not: what is the main reason for the difference ?

#186 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:23

Originally posted by renzo
tony jeffries,on a suzuki?


:clap: :clap: Tony Jefferies is right Dennis, but he is on a Munch 750.

#187 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:52

Originally posted by seh1066


Close to the end of the video it is shown how Jon Ekerold and numerous other riders crash in the second chicane because of an oil trace on the track surface. I always had the impression that oil traces were predominantly a problem of races in which four-stroke bikes participated. Is that only my impression ?
And if not: what is the main reason for the difference ? [/B]


Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

I presume that the track was so slippery because in race bikes the petrol and oil is premixed before it was put in the fuel tank, so there would be an amount of two stroke oil on the track even if the petrol evaporated?

#188 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:30

I attended that particular GP (as a spectator) and if my memory serves me correctly, Patrick Fernandez, who was lying third at the time, crashed his Bimota in the second chicane. The Bimota´s evidently had glassfibre fuel tanks (despite them being illegal I believe) and Fernandez´s tank was broken open on impact, depositing the fuel/oil mixture all over the track. About five riders directly following him went down before the marshals put out the oil flags. In fact, almost a lap later, Ekerold and Mang arrived at the crash scene, with Ekerold in the lead. He claimed later there were no oil flags out (maybe they had been withdrawn by then) and he crashed when he hit the oil still on the road. Mang, fortunately, saw him go down and was able reduce his speed in time. From where I was sitting in the stands, (on the exit of the Opel curve), one could see up the road to the exit of the chicane, and I remember seeing bikes flying everywhere as well as one machine explode in a ball of flame. How no one was seriously hurt remains a mystery.

#189 LamboNZ

LamboNZ
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:38

Originally posted by seh1066


I have checked my pictures and all programmes of races where I took pictures - I did not find him.

But while digging through my old programmes I found something which amazed me: In the entry list for the 'Formula 1' race (500/750 two-strokes combined with 1200cc four-strokes) in May 1980 in Hockenheim there is an entry for Alex George on a Cagiva. Did Alex George really ever rode a Cagiva ?


Yeah, Alex rode a Cagiva for a season, but it was in the golden livery of his sponsors 'Golden Hermitite', so not sure if it was an actual works bike. Marco Lucchenelli rode one around the same time too.

#190 LamboNZ

LamboNZ
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:41

Originally posted by seh1066
:wave: Another (maybe stupid) question by me - in the collection of YouTube videos we yesterday thankfully were made aware of there is a video of the 350cc WC race in Hockenheim from 1981



Close to the end of the video it is shown how Jon Ekerold and numerous other riders crash in the second chicane because of an oil trace on the track surface. I always had the impression that oil traces were predominantly a problem of races in which four-stroke bikes participated. Is that only my impression ?
And if not: what is the main reason for the difference ?


The seal behind the clutch basket on a TZ350 propably :rolleyes:

#191 LamboNZ

LamboNZ
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:48

Originally posted by picblanc


:clap: :clap: Bruno Luscher 1983 (again!! : ) Silverstone :up: :wave:
I don't have those two dots(above the u) on my keyboard, what are they called Michael?

Omlout or something similar? :


Seeing your picture of Mr Luscher, his helmet reminds me of Ian Redly's. Does anyone know the significance of the Swiss flag emblem on Ian's?

#192 GD66

GD66
  • Member

  • 2,171 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:49

Originally posted by stuavant
No comment :lol:


Elegantly sidestepped, Stu. ;) My mum told me, if you can't say anything nice about somebody, etc etc.... which is how I was able to maintain radio silence during the unfortunate blowup with the Thai-based golfers recently...

#193 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:52

Originally posted by GD66


Elegantly sidestepped, Stu. ;) My mum told me, if you can't say anything nice about somebody, etc etc.... which is how I was able to maintain radio silence during the unfortunate blowup with the Thai-based golfers recently...


Your Mum was a very wise Woman, my Mum told me the same thing...where would we be without our Mum....not here actually!!! :D

#194 antony duprat

antony duprat
  • Member

  • 977 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 04 September 2008 - 13:19

Originally posted by seh1066
Let's start the day with a WWH (Who and When in Hockenheim) - category 'difficult up to impossible'

Posted Image


LOTTO 250... :confused:

40 Besendörfer
51 Gerwin or Dekanek
7 W. Hoffmann
37 Tomic
?????????????????????? :wave:

#195 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 14:20

Originally posted by antony duprat


LOTTO 250... :confused:

40 Besendörfer
51 Gerwin or Dekanek
7 W. Hoffmann
37 Tomic
?????????????????????? :wave:


:) Indeed Lotto ! None is correct. I will give some hints.

Race is 250 EC 1982.

#51 A German rider I never have heard of. Initials AU

#10 A swiss rider. Initials NC.

#7 Another swiss rider. Initials are TB.

#37 Is from Austria. Initials are EN.

#196 antony duprat

antony duprat
  • Member

  • 977 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 04 September 2008 - 14:47

Originally posted by seh1066


:) Indeed Lotto ! None is correct. I will give some hints.

Race is 250 EC 1982.

#51 A German rider I never have heard of. Initials AU

#10 A swiss rider. Initials NC.

#7 Another swiss rider. Initials are TB.

#37 Is from Austria. Initials are EN.


Egel Neumair 37
Nedy Crotta 10
and :confused: :confused:

#197 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 14:50

Originally posted by antony duprat


Egel Neumair 37
Nedy Crotta 10
and :confused: :confused:


:clap: :clap: Crotta for #10 and Neumair for #37 is correct !

#7 is Thomas Bacher. And #51 is Albrecht Ulmer. Never ever heard of him :confused:

#198 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 14:56

:) I just learned that Albrecht Ulmer was the winner of the German Yamaha Cup of 1981 (Yamaha XS400).
In those days it was common that the winner of the Yamaha Cup got a 250cc race bike as price - so maybe that's the bike he is on in the pic.

#199 antony duprat

antony duprat
  • Member

  • 977 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 04 September 2008 - 15:04

Originally posted by seh1066


:clap: :clap: Crotta for #10 and Neumair for #37 is correct !

#7 is Thomas Bacher. And #51 is Albrecht Ulmer. Never ever heard of him :confused:


Is T. Bacher Swiss or Austrian...

Advertisement

#200 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 04 September 2008 - 15:22

Originally posted by antony duprat


Is T. Bacher Swiss or Austrian...


I thought he is Swiss - but on the Highsider site he is listed as Austrian. And I have found him on a site which lists the Austrian bike racing champions as winner of the Honda Cup. So you are right with your doubt - he is Austrian. :wave: