Photo

Motorcycle racing 1969-1990 nostalgia 2

• Please log in to reply
22871 replies to this topic

#21801 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:13

Barry is alive and well and runs a business called Sport Art, selling motor sport collectables.

Thanks, John.
http://www.sportart.com.au/

Advertisement

#21802 SADBATCCM

SADBATCCM

• 797 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:42

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Barry Smiths 250 Armstrong @ around 1979

1982 customer bike … 79 would have been a cotton …. :eek: great pic :)

#21803 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 16:12

Does anybody know or remember why Hideo Kanaya scored only in the first four 500 cc worldchampionship rounds in '75 ? Was he injured or ordered back to Japan? Wonder what he is up to now

Edited by Rennmax, 30 April 2012 - 06:45.

#21804 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 21:41

Does anybody know or remember why Hideo Kanaya scored only in the first four 500 cc worldchampionship rounds in '75 ? Was he injured or odered back to Japan? Wonder what he is up to now

As was often the case in those years, Kanaya was indeed called back home after the Italian Grand Prix, together with Ikujiro Takai who had also taken part in the first races of the season on a factory 250.

From what I remember reading in the contemporary press, it seems that those european trips were more considered as a "reward" for the japanese factory test riders than a full-time, serious attack on the world championship standings. In 1974, Katayama only arrived mid-season for the Dutch TT . I seem to recall Ikujiro Takai also being sent for the second half of the 1979 season, with a special 500 YZR , less sophisticated than the full factory bikes of Roberts and co. , which was a prototype of the following year's customer TZ500. And this happened not only for Yamaha, but other japanes factories had the same "strategy". Kawasaki sent Aki Kyiohara on a KR250 for the start of the 1977 sesaon, then he was sent home and replaced by Masahiro Wada. Suzuki also sent Hiroyuki Kawasaki on a factory 500 for a few season opening races, on at least two occasions ( 1979 and 1981 )

To come back to Hideo Kanaya, after his 1975 foray on the Grand Prix trail, he was seen again at the 1976 Daytona 200 on a factory 750 OW31 (painted in yellow and black Yamaha USA colours) and he also took part in the 1977/1978 winter's Marlboro Series in New Zealand , again aboard a factory 750 YZR . I don't remember him appearing in international standings after that - nor do I know what he is up to today.

#21805 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:30

Thanks Philippe :up: :wave:

#21806 Dewie

Dewie

• 47 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:22

As was often the case in those years, Kanaya was indeed called back home after the Italian Grand Prix, together with Ikujiro Takai who had also taken part in the first races of the season on a factory 250.

From what I remember reading in the contemporary press, it seems that those european trips were more considered as a "reward" for the japanese factory test riders than a full-time, serious attack on the world championship standings. In 1974, Katayama only arrived mid-season for the Dutch TT . I seem to recall Ikujiro Takai also being sent for the second half of the 1979 season, with a special 500 YZR , less sophisticated than the full factory bikes of Roberts and co. , which was a prototype of the following year's customer TZ500. And this happened not only for Yamaha, but other japanes factories had the same "strategy". Kawasaki sent Aki Kyiohara on a KR250 for the start of the 1977 sesaon, then he was sent home and replaced by Masahiro Wada. Suzuki also sent Hiroyuki Kawasaki on a factory 500 for a few season opening races, on at least two occasions ( 1979 and 1981 )

To come back to Hideo Kanaya, after his 1975 foray on the Grand Prix trail, he was seen again at the 1976 Daytona 200 on a factory 750 OW31 (painted in yellow and black Yamaha USA colours) and he also took part in the 1977/1978 winter's Marlboro Series in New Zealand , again aboard a factory 750 YZR . I don't remember him appearing in international standings after that - nor do I know what he is up to today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A couple of photos I took in 1979 of Takai testing at Yamahas test track

#21807 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:30

Takazumi Katayama was a privateer though wasn't he? Not a test rider?

#21808 Dewie

Dewie

• 47 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:44

Takai was a test rider, he was at the test track the day we were having a look around

#21809 Sakkie

Sakkie

• 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:13

Not sure if he ever did test riding in Japan before coming to race in Europe, but he was definitely a private entrant to begin with, who was later signed up by Yamaha and then by Honda, with a period in between on a private RG500. I recall him and Chas Mortimer as team mates in a non factory team sponsored by Sarome lighters around the middle of the 70´s.

#21810 graham houlihan

graham houlihan

• 356 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 21:27

Does anybody know or remember why Hideo Kanaya scored only in the first four 500 cc worldchampionship rounds in '75 ? Was he injured or ordered back to Japan? Wonder what he is up to now

He's a taxi driver in Kobe. Or maybe he's retired now.

Edited by graham houlihan, 30 April 2012 - 21:28.

#21811 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 21:26

Not sure if he ever did test riding in Japan before coming to race in Europe, but he was definitely a private entrant to begin with, who was later signed up by Yamaha and then by Honda, with a period in between on a private RG500. I recall him and Chas Mortimer as team mates in a non factory team sponsored by Sarome lighters around the middle of the 70´s.

When Takazumi Katayama came to Europe for the first time in 1974 ( appeared at Assen IIRC, and won in Sweden ) he certainly was presented in the press as "an official rider for Yamaha Japan" .

He wasn't seen on the international scene the following year (1975) outside of an appearance in the US at the late season Ontario 200 miles on a TZ750 , and when he came back to Europe in 1976 for a full-time Grand Prix career it was indeed as a privateer with sponsorship from Sarome.

#21812 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 21:48

Posted Image
A couple of photos I took in 1979 of Takai testing at Yamahas test track

Dewie, thanks for those unusual pictures . In your photo above, Takaï is indeed on the left, but I'm wondering wether the other rider on the right could not precisely be Kanaya ....his helmet design and leathers style certainly look similar to those he was using in NZ early 1978...not that it proves anything, but still .....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21813 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 22:00

Good spot Philippe, reckon your right!

#21814 Dewie

Dewie

• 47 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:51

I think your both on the money boys

Good shot of Hansford as well

Edited by Dewie, 02 May 2012 - 07:53.

#21815 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:14

Thanks Graham :up:

#21816 graham houlihan

graham houlihan

• 356 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:25

The other rider with Takai is definitely Kanaya.

#21817 doublos

doublos

• 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:46

When Takazumi Katayama came to Europe for the first time in 1974 ( appeared at Assen IIRC, and won in Sweden ) he certainly was presented in the press as "an official rider for Yamaha Japan" .

He wasn't seen on the international scene the following year (1975) outside of an appearance in the US at the late season Ontario 200 miles on a TZ750 , and when he came back to Europe in 1976 for a full-time Grand Prix career it was indeed as a privateer with sponsorship from Sarome.

Good afternoon Philippe,

Not so sure Takazumi was a pure privateer. I remember that I went with Christian Dubuisson to Amsterdam to take the Sarome TZ 750 Christian had bought from Takazumi, the bike was in Yamaha headquarters, delivered with "special" cylinders and exhaust pipes, and Nobby Clark was not very happy to see that Takazumi had not replaced these parts with standard ones to sell the bike.
So I think Takazumi, if not a works rider, received some support from the Yamaha factory (as Chas Mortimer, in the same team).
Any news about what is doing Takazumi now (and his lovely wife Eliko...) ?

#21818 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,674 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 17:24

There's a joke in there somewhere... :cool:

#21819 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:33

It's been more than a year now since Vincent Glon, webmaster of the excellent Racing Memo website, was killed in a street riding accident on his Bonneville. Fortunately the site is still up, and remains a most useful resource for those who, like us, have an interest in the history of motorcycle racing . http://racingmemo.free.fr/

I was contacted a few days ago by a friend of Vincent, who lived near LeMans as a teenager and had sent Vincent some pictures he had taken, to add to the site...sadly a few days before he left us so the job was not completed. So Denis ( that's his name ) , being not very familar with the technique of posting pictures on forums, asked me if I could pot his photos here on his behalf, as a tribute to Vincent Glon and the labour of love that is website is.

The first series is from the Criterium de l'ACO , on the 12th of April 1970. This was an international race that was organised on the long circuit of the 24 hours of LeMans, taking advantage of the public roads that make up the "long" circuit being closed on that week for the "spring practice" that was organised around easter for the car competitors. Which explains why on that occasion, Mike Hailwood was seen wandering in the Motorcycle paddock, since he was there to practice the John Wyer Porsche 917 that he was due to drive in june ( see pic at the bottom of this page http://racingmemo.fr.....20Le Mans.htm

Posted Image
The Paton of frenchman André-Luc Appietto

Posted Image
Jack Findlay and his Seeley

Posted Image
Jack again, with the Seeley he used for the 500cc race and the Yamaha that he used in the smaller "250/350" class.

Posted Image
John Dodds proudly shows off his brand new Linto to german riders Günther Fischer and Dieter Braun.

Posted Image
Fisher and Braun again with the Linto.

Advertisement

#21820 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:46

Posted Image
The brand new Kawasaki H1R of Eric Offenstadt. His team mate Christian Ravel won the 500cc race on an identical machine. One of the first ( if not the very first ) international wins for the H1R

Posted Image
The beautiful Manx of Dutchman Théo Louwes. Denis thinks one of the gentlemen standing behind him is Lewis Young.

Posted Image
Gyulia Marzowsky and Jean Auréal share a joke besides the Sonauto Yamaha "transporter"

Posted Image
The results sheet . This was the last year that this race was held, and motorcycles were never to be seen again on the long 24 hours track - and instead migrated to the permanent "Bugatti" circuit, where last week's French Grand Prix was once again organised.

#21821 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:56

The second set of pictures is from the 1970 French Grand Prix, which was held on the Bugatti circuit a few weeks later on the 17th of may.

Posted Image
Tommy Robb and a lovely Seeley

Posted Image
I won't insult you by naming this rider.....

Posted Image
......nor this other multiple World Champion

Posted Image
The open air "workshop" of Austrian Karl Auer

#21822 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:08

Posted Image
Gyulia Marzowsky has spent his money on a brand new H1R.....

Posted Image
Tommy Robb again, with his stroker this time.....

Posted Image
A moving shot of Brian Steenson, who lost his life at the TT a couple of weeks later.

Posted Image
I will leave this last picture as a quizz for our members from down under ( clue...) to have a go. The reason being that this picture shouldn't, in principle, have possibly been taken in 1970..... Any idea why ?

Oh yes, and the complete results of the race are here http://racingmemo.fr...P France 70.htm

#21823 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:26

Posted Image
I will leave this last picture as a quizz for our members from down under ( clue...) to have a go. The reason being that this picture shouldn't, in principle, have possibly been taken in 1970..... Any idea why ?

[/quote]

Terry Dennehy and his Drixton Honda?

#21824 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:12

Posted Image

Terry Dennehy and his Drixton Honda?

Yes, I too think it's Terry. I read somewhere that he stayed on in Europe afterwards but died in, I think, in the eighties.

Excellent shots, Philippe, thanks for posting them. Your final poser's a bit of a mystery to me.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 25 May 2012 - 08:18.

#21825 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:25

Some information about Terry's venture

http://kakeh.com/dennehy/

#21826 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:46

Some information about Terry's venture

http://kakeh.com/dennehy/

Thanks, Renn, not read this before.

#21827 GD66

GD66

• 2,178 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:46

That's Terry Dennehy's Drixton Honda, but the mechanic is Ralph Hannan, Ross's brother and Terry's brother-in-law.

#21828 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:55

That's Terry Dennehy's Drixton Honda, but the mechanic is Ralph Hannan, Ross's brother and Terry's brother-in-law.

Ah, yes, Glenn, never met him, only Ross, who I can only ever recall as being badly beaten up by his Island crash.

#21829 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:04

Posted Image
The brand new Kawasaki H1R of Eric Offenstadt. His team mate Christian Ravel won the 500cc race on an identical machine. One of the first ( if not the very first ) international wins for the H1R

Posted Image
The beautiful Manx of Dutchman Théo Louwes. Denis thinks one of the gentlemen standing behind him is Lewis Young.

Posted Image
Gyulia Marzowsky and Jean Auréal share a joke besides the Sonauto Yamaha "transporter"

Posted Image
The results sheet . This was the last year that this race was held, and motorcycles were never to be seen again on the long 24 hours track - and instead migrated to the permanent "Bugatti" circuit, where last week's French Grand Prix was once again organised.

Rob Fitton, on what was probably a 10 year old old Manx, putting it across all that modern stuff. Some performance. Ian Ratcliffe is there too, he made a fleeting appearance on here a while back.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 25 May 2012 - 10:07.

#21830 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:05

#21831 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:12

Ah, yes, Glenn, never met him, only Ross, who I can only ever recall as being badly beaten up by his Island crash.

Wasn't he a victim of the mass start experiment Russ?

#21832 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:37

Wasn't he a victim of the mass start experiment Russ?

Yes Renn, either that or a practice crash. I think other were involved too. I cant find anything on it though. He had a bike shop in Newtown Sydney and was in and out of my then work place all the time.

#21833 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:42

Yes Renn, either that or a practice crash. I think other were involved too. I cant find anything on it though. He had a bike shop in Newtown Sydney and was in and out of my then work place all the time.

I found this on a TT website

'Someone had the idea of trying to start riders in batches of 10, so they tried it out in the Thursday afternoon practice in 1970. There was an almighty pile up at Union Mills and the idea was shelved.'

No names mentioned, but I faintly remember his name in this context

#21834 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:48

I found this on a TT website

'Someone had the idea of trying to start riders in batches of 10, so they tried it out in the Thursday afternoon practice in 1970. There was an almighty pile up at Union Mills and the idea was shelved.'

No names mentioned, but I faintly remember his name in this context

Thanks Renn. I sent him a message on facebook inviting him to tell us about it .

#21835 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 21:33

I was expecting you to get that right , Glen. The strange thing about this pic is that when Denis ( the man who took the picture ) sent it to a contact he has in the UK for ID confirmation, he was told that the picture could not possibly have been taken in 1970, since it was common knowledge (....) that by the end of their successful, but perhaps straining, 1969 season, the relationship between Dennehy and Hannan had become a little difficult, and that the two men had gone their separate ways, Ralph Hannan then being offered a job for the 1970 season by Ginger Molloy. Denis was then put into contact with a well known Australian journo, who in turn contacted Ralp Hannan who explained that he had indeed come to Le Mans to spanner for Ginger Molloy, but that he had arrived on the circuit a while before Ginger and that, having nothing better to do, he had given a hand to Terry to unload the van and start preparing the bike - which tends to show that the hard feelings, if any, had softened significantly by then. And yes, the two men were family related, although the version I was given ( but am not qualified to confirm ) is that it was actually Ross who was Terry's brother in law, having married Terry's sister...Ross, incidentally, was also present at this Le Mans race, his name appears in the results.

From the same australian journalistic source, it seems that Terry Dennehy remained on the french riviera after he quit racing, dealing in the car trade and also, according to some people, running a deck-chair concession on a fashionable beach in Cannes ! He sadly died from illness in Belgium in 2002. He left a single son who is a professional musician and lives on the Riviera too.

#21836 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 15:53

The CB450 engine is still popular here

Posted Image

#21837 Giovanni

Giovanni

• 53 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 13:01

A friendly greeting to all.
Firstly I wish to express to all the my most sincere congratulations for all interesting informations and photos published in this amarcord threat.
Moreover I wish to seek your precious help for an my personal research pertinent to Gp 500cc World Championship of season 1990.
Simply,I seek some photos pertinents some private riders and motorbikes partecipants to the prestigious GP 500cc World Championship of the year 1990.
For the precision,the above mentioned riders and motorbikes are these:

Nicholas "Niggi" Schmassmann (SUI) Honda RS500
Eddie Laycock (GBR) Honda RS500
Marco Papa (ITA) Honda RS500
Vittorio Scatola (ITA) Paton V115 C4
Martin Trösch (GER) Honda RS500
Hansjörg Butz (GER) Honda RS500
Alois Meyer (GER) Honda RS500
Gregg Drew (AUS) PRP

Someone can help me to find some photos of these riders please?
Thanks for the attention dedicated to this my message.

#21838 Giovanni

Giovanni

• 53 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 13:06

I also contribute to this section by publishing the Entry List of Donington Grand Prix class 500cc of the year 1990:

Nr. 1. Eddie Lawson (USA) Yamaha YZR / Marlboro Yamaha Team Roberts
Nr. 2. Wayne Rainey (USA) Yamaha YZR / Marlboro Yamaha Team Roberts
Nr. 3. Christian Sarron (FRA) Yamaha YZR / Sonauto Gauloises Blondes - Mobil 1
Nr. 6. Sito Pons (ESP) Honda NSR / Campsa Banesto
Nr. 7. Niall Mackenzie (GBR) Suzuki RGV / Team Lucky Strike Suzuki
Nr. 8. Ron Haslam (GBR) Cagiva C590 / Cagiva Corse
Nr. 9. Michael Doohan (AUS) Honda NSR / Rothmans Honda Team HRC
Nr. 10. Wayne Gardner (AUS) Honda NSR / Rothmans Honda Team HRC
Nr. 11. Juan Garriga (ESP) Yamaha YZR / Ducados Tamaha Team
Nr. 14. Jean-Philippe Ruggia (FRA) Yamaha YZR / Sonauto Gauloises Blondes - Mobil 1
Nr. 18. Randy Mamola (USA) Cagiva C589 / Cagiva Corse
Nr. 24. Eddie Laycock (GBR) Honda RS / Millar Racing
Nr. 25. Andreas Leuthe (LUX) Honda RS / Librenti Corse
Nr. 28. Alexandre Barros (BRA) Cagiva C590 / Cagiva Corse
Nr. 31. Marco Papa (ITA) Honda RS / Moto Club Perugia
Nr. 36. Cees Doorakkers (NED) Honda RS / HRK Motors
Nr. 34. Kevin Schwantz (USA) Suzuki RGV / Team Lucky Strike Suzuki
Nr. 55. Karl Fogarty (GBR) Honda NSR / La Cinq - ROC

Edited by Giovanni, 01 July 2012 - 18:41.

#21839 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 20:03

always famed for starting on slicks at the boycotted italian gp 89

http://www.highsider...atola_90_01.htm

Advertisement

#21840 Giovanni

Giovanni

• 53 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:52

Hi RD500,and sincere thanks for the link that you have specified.
If you should find more pictures of Vittorio Scatola,or the other riders that I mentioned in my previous message,of the year '90 you can post them please?

Thanks again for your reply.

#21841 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:07

Posted Image

This bike has popped up in some of the previous discussion on here (well, I've written about it). It's the ex Phil O'Brien Drixton Aermacchi at Oran Park, 1970. The rider is Tony Foale, who's kindly dug the photo's out for us. He later took it back to Europe and used the bike as a kind of test bed for his various frame constructions. As many know, he later went on to build highly successful frames for all manner of quick riders. A split tank or concerns around using alcohol with a fibre glass tank probably accounts for the horribly ugly DTI Yamaha tank. I'm sure he substituted this soon afterwards.
Tony's interesting site: http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Posted Image

Edited by Russell Burrows, 09 July 2012 - 09:28.

#21842 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 16:31

After doing a bit of Googling, I see Phil O 'Brien got a third at the 350 Austrian GP in 1969, almost certainly on the above Drixton. I can remember him later gamely battling with TR2 Yams on this lovely thing - wonderful booming engine note piercing the ‘orrible stroker cacophony an all.  ;)

#21843 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 20:03

Posted Image
Don't like the look of the chin fastener, particularly as it seems to be the only strap holding the thing on ? Anyone out there ever use one?

#21844 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 131 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 20:25

I did my Everoak GP lid just like that (on the road) after seeing Rod when he brought the TR Yams over.

#21845 Robin127

Robin127

• 378 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:11

I did my Everoak GP lid just like that (on the road) after seeing Rod when he brought the TR Yams over.

One of the Everoak lids at the time had two chinstraps, can't remember which one, my brother had one and like you had the chin cup affixed when he tore around the streets on his Goldie.

#21846 GD66

GD66

• 2,178 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:33

Don't like the look of the chin fastener, particularly as it seems to be the only strap holding the thing on ? Anyone out there ever use one?

They appeared and disappeared just as fast, if I recall. Made by Buco.

#21847 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:29

They appeared and disappeared just as fast, if I recall. Made by Buco.

I think I recall Carruthers also using one, Rex Butcher too. Perhaps there's an unseen additionall strap. Perhaps they were freebies with the promise of some sort of bonus money attached?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 18 July 2012 - 08:33.

#21848 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,963 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 13:42

I wonder whether somebody has some information about the Hailwood/Gould bike shop which was, as far as I know, founded in late '79? Was is still run before Mike's death? Anybody here in the forum who once went there? Thanks

Edited by Rennmax, 18 July 2012 - 13:43.

#21849 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 131 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 14:19

Next to the off ramp from Spaghetti Junction onto the A38 northbound - a mate bought a CBX1000 off the great man himself. It's been closed for many years now, sometime after Mike's death IIRC.

Pub rumours abounded that one of the partners had managed to sneak away some of the other partner's ex-works Hondas. Allegedly. No names obviously  ;)

#21850 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,674 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 21:23

Next to the off ramp from Spaghetti Junction onto the A38 northbound - a mate bought a CBX1000 off the great man himself. It's been closed for many years now, sometime after Mike's death IIRC.

Pub rumours abounded that one of the partners had managed to sneak away some of the other partner's ex-works Hondas. Allegedly. No names obviously ;)

Yes, I remember some sort of brouhaha when one of said machines was offered for sale, do I recall correctly that it ended in a legal wrangle?