Photo

Motorcycle racing 1969-1990 nostalgia 2

• Please log in to reply
22877 replies to this topic

#22001 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:06

'Must have been a quick 'un Tony, that front disc didn't get much use'.

Photo was taken after a winter rebuild. I'll post some photos of the bike after the previous seasons' last meeting when it hit the armco at the Snetterton 'bomb hole' and took some of my vertibrae with it. :down:

Although the forks, including one slider, were bent, the frame downtubes fractured, the radiator lozenge shaped the front wheel was perfectly round and unharmed apart from the impression of a bolt in the tyre.

My own fault, as usual, trying to take the bomb hole at dry speeds in the wet with a PZ2 tyre instead of the usual PZ4 compound.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by tonyed, 04 December 2012 - 11:06.

Advertisement

#22002 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:47

What year was this then Tony, & did you carry on racing?

#22003 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:52

1974 Powerbike International meeting, Geoff Went TZ350, Geoff led the Bill Ivy televised race for a number of laps before some big slides dropped him back to finish 3rd, Steve Manship won with Kork Ballington 2nd. Love the old vans, how differant now days!!

Posted Image

Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

#22004 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:10

What year was this then Tony, & did you carry on racing?

Oh yes. That year I was racing both the 250 and the 500 Crescent. The Crescent had to go to finance the rebuild of the 250. Went on to race a 350 Yamaha until 1982. Did some racing in the 90s on a 250 TZ J and then a 350 G.

Think that year must have been 1978 as this crash was a year and 4 days after I crashed the Crescent whilst practicing for the 1977 MGP at Windy Corner and crushed some vertibrae then as well.

They say 'practice makes perfect'. Perhaps I was the 'exception that proves the rule'. :blush:

#22005 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 13:03

Snetterton Easter 1977.

Posted Image

Looks like the Cresent was not easy to start?

Posted Image

#22006 Robin127

Robin127

• 378 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:44

1974 Powerbike International meeting, Geoff Went TZ350, Geoff led the Bill Ivy televised race for a number of laps before some big slides dropped him back to finish 3rd, Steve Manship won with Kork Ballington 2nd. Love the old vans, how differant now days!!

Posted Image

A couple of years later Geoff Went raced a 250 Greeves in club events. At the Bemsee club races at Brands which were run in the reverse direction on the long circuit like the Hutchinson 100 the following day, he won both the 250cc single cylinder races by the proverbial mile. The headline in MCN on the Wednesday afterwards was one I've never forgotten....."Where Geoff Went Others Followed."

#22007 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:21

A couple of years later Geoff Went raced a 250 Greeves in club events. At the Bemsee club races at Brands which were run in the reverse direction on the long circuit like the Hutchinson 100 the following day, he won both the 250cc single cylinder races by the proverbial mile. The headline in MCN on the Wednesday afterwards was one I've never forgotten....."Where Geoff Went Others Followed."

Didn't Geoff have the Orpin Greeves Silverstone?

Reg Orpin developed a watercooled version of the Silverstone which at one time was ridden by Peter Williams. In 71/72 I had the Chat Greeves Silverstone I purchased from Martin Harrison and I seem to remember Geoff on the Orpin Greeves at the same time.

I shall check some old programs seeing as I am at a loose end at present whilst my lungs clear of the multiple emboli they are clogged up with.

#22008 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:18

Didn't Geoff have the Orpin Greeves Silverstone?

Reg Orpin developed a watercooled version of the Silverstone which at one time was ridden by Peter Williams. In 71/72 I had the Chat Greeves Silverstone I purchased from Martin Harrison and I seem to remember Geoff on the Orpin Greeves at the same time.

I shall check some old programs seeing as I am at a loose end at present whilst my lungs clear of the multiple emboli they are clogged up with.

A guy called Ray (Ray Guy) had some success on an Orpin Greeves back in the late 60s. I always assumed it was the ex Peter Williams machine. I do know it was bloody fast.

#22009 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:56

A guy called Ray (Ray Guy) had some success on an Orpin Greeves back in the late 60s. I always assumed it was the ex Peter Williams machine. I do know it was bloody fast.

You are of course correct Ray had the Orpin Greeves. Geoff did have a Greeves which he seems to have campaigned during 1972 before moving onto a 250 Yamaha. Just been going through my old programs.

#22010 Robin127

Robin127

• 378 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 13:37

You are of course correct Ray had the Orpin Greeves. Geoff did have a Greeves which he seems to have campaigned during 1972 before moving onto a 250 Yamaha. Just been going through my old programs.

I believe that Geoff was racing the ex-Ray Guy bike in 1976 which was aircooled, I think the watercooled bike was an Oulton.

Edited by Robin127, 05 December 2012 - 13:38.

#22011 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,026 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:47

Re Colin Bevan's frame - I'll ask Pantall the next time I see him in Asdas!
For what it's worth, I don't think its a Maxton - my money's on the converted A/B theory! A similar question was asked on this board some time ago about the plated frame on Pantall's TZ750 - IIRC, Gordon said that was just a plated standard frame.

#22012 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:25

I believe that Geoff was racing the ex-Ray Guy bike in 1976 which was aircooled, I think the watercooled bike was an Oulton.

I am 99.99% certain ( :confused: ) that the watercooled Orpin Greeves was a 250. Trevor Elliott had a 350 Oulton which was aircooled. A mate of mine, Jim Chalkley, bought it from him when he purchased a 350 TZ. Trevor did try a watercooled version which he described as 'only good for making tea' as it boiled all the while.

Edited by tonyed, 05 December 2012 - 15:26.

#22013 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:47

Re Colin Bevan's frame - I'll ask Pantall the next time I see him in Asdas!
For what it's worth, I don't think its a Maxton - my money's on the converted A/B theory! A similar question was asked on this board some time ago about the plated frame on Pantall's TZ750 - IIRC, Gordon said that was just a plated standard frame.

Ah yes Barry, good to remind ourselves again as I have lost many brain cells since we last talked about this and cant remember what the verdict was!! :well:

Silverstone 1977.

Posted Image

#22014 Robin127

Robin127

• 378 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:12

I am 99.99% certain ( :confused: ) that the watercooled Orpin Greeves was a 250. Trevor Elliott had a 350 Oulton which was aircooled. A mate of mine, Jim Chalkley, bought it from him when he purchased a 350 TZ. Trevor did try a watercooled version which he described as 'only good for making tea' as it boiled all the while.

Tony

You are correct. Apparently in 1976 my brother tried to get the special cylinder etc. for his Silverstone but the shop wouldn't part with it.

I remember Trevor Elliott riding a watercooled Orpin Greeves Oulton and always assumed it was the only one.

Edited by Robin127, 07 December 2012 - 00:25.

#22015 StanN

StanN

• 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:06

I bought my Silverstone from Atlantic Motorcycles in late 1981 and had it shipped out here to Canada. It had a highly modified rear sub frame and was fitted with an Oldani front brake. The frame number is 24RDSSTE1 and the crankcases are stamped GPA5STE1, neither number standard for an RDS. While trying to find the history of the bike I came across the write up in David Dixon’s Racing Line column in the 21 April, 1966 edition of Motor Cycle that describes the water cooled Silverstone described as being built by Reg Orpin. The photographs of this bike show the same frame mods and even the same non-standard seat as the bike I bought, although it was fitted with a Velocette front brake at that time. By the time I bought the bike it had an air cooled cylinder fitted and no radiator although all the lugs for this were still fitted to the frame as shown in the Motor Cycle column.
I have been racing this bike in Canada and the US since 1982 and through a photo taken of my bike and posted on a website the previous owner contacted me and we met a couple of years ago on a trip back to the UK. He owned the bike for a few years prior to selling it in 1981 but didn’t recollect who he bought it from, although he did say he bought it as an ex Peter Williams bike and as a Peter memorabilia collector that was the main attraction for him. He intended to race the bike in the singles class but never did.
Peter has written that he built the frame for the water cooled bike (he worked for Greeves for a while) and when I showed him photos of my bike when I met him at Pukekohe in 2007 he said it did look like his frame but didn’t remember too much after all this time.
At the Pukekohe race there was another Silverstone racing and when I talked to the rider and mentioned that I raced a Silverstone and thought it might be the ex Orpin bike he told me that was impossible as a mate of his in the south island had bought that bike when it was retired (late 60’s?). So who knows if more than one was built, the original resides in NZ or whether mine is the Peter Williams bike? As I have no documented history of the bike and continue racing it here I am not trying to prove provenance one way or the other but it would be interesting to try and trace back who sold the bike to David Bird sometime in the mid-70’s.
Stan

#22016 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:45

I bought my Silverstone from Atlantic Motorcycles in late 1981 and had it shipped out here to Canada. It had a highly modified rear sub frame and was fitted with an Oldani front brake. The frame number is 24RDSSTE1 and the crankcases are stamped GPA5STE1, neither number standard for an RDS. While trying to find the history of the bike I came across the write up in David Dixon’s Racing Line column in the 21 April, 1966 edition of Motor Cycle that describes the water cooled Silverstone described as being built by Reg Orpin. The photographs of this bike show the same frame mods and even the same non-standard seat as the bike I bought, although it was fitted with a Velocette front brake at that time. By the time I bought the bike it had an air cooled cylinder fitted and no radiator although all the lugs for this were still fitted to the frame as shown in the Motor Cycle column.
I have been racing this bike in Canada and the US since 1982 and through a photo taken of my bike and posted on a website the previous owner contacted me and we met a couple of years ago on a trip back to the UK. He owned the bike for a few years prior to selling it in 1981 but didn’t recollect who he bought it from, although he did say he bought it as an ex Peter Williams bike and as a Peter memorabilia collector that was the main attraction for him. He intended to race the bike in the singles class but never did.
Peter has written that he built the frame for the water cooled bike (he worked for Greeves for a while) and when I showed him photos of my bike when I met him at Pukekohe in 2007 he said it did look like his frame but didn’t remember too much after all this time.
At the Pukekohe race there was another Silverstone racing and when I talked to the rider and mentioned that I raced a Silverstone and thought it might be the ex Orpin bike he told me that was impossible as a mate of his in the south island had bought that bike when it was retired (late 60’s?). So who knows if more than one was built, the original resides in NZ or whether mine is the Peter Williams bike? As I have no documented history of the bike and continue racing it here I am not trying to prove provenance one way or the other but it would be interesting to try and trace back who sold the bike to David Bird sometime in the mid-70’s.
Stan

Certainly he 24RDS marks it as a 1966 machine which were blue as standard colour. It is along while ago but I seem to remember that the Orpin Greeves had telescopic forks rather than the leading link items.

Once again I will look through my old race programs from 1967/1968 to see if I can unearth any photos of PW on the bike.

#22017 GD66

GD66

• 2,178 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:58

At the Pukekohe race there was another Silverstone racing and when I talked to the rider and mentioned that I raced a Silverstone and thought it might be the ex Orpin bike he told me that was impossible as a mate of his in the south island had bought that bike when it was retired (late 60’s?). So who knows if more than one was built, the original resides in NZ or whether mine is the Peter Williams bike?
Stan

Hi Stan, Keith Williams brought a Reg Orpin RDS back to NZ from England at the end of the 1968 season, it was pretty quick and embarrassed a few in the wet a couple of times that I saw, but was put away when Keith got a Yamaha going and I know not whence it ended up. I'll make a couple of enquiries as I have a mate in NZ that knows Keith : if anything transpires, I'll be back... :wave:

#22018 StanN

StanN

• 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:40

I received at little more information on the water cooled RDS this weekend from an ex Greeves employee. He said, that as far as he could recollect, there was only one of the water cooled bikes built and that he knew Peter when he worked at Greeves, although working in a different dept. to Peter (it was a pretty small company, after all).

After PW mentioned in his book that the w/c bike was badly damaged at Snetterton later in the 66 season I was asking what happened to it after that or was it beyond repair. I was told that the bike was rebuilt but with a standard motor.

In his book, Peter describes another Silverstone engined bike he built late in 66. This had a small diameter duplex tube frame that he designed and was made by Jim Lee. The photograph of this bike in Peter’s book shows it was fitted with telescopic forks, Oldani brakes and appears to have a special, central exhaust port, air cooled cylinder. Peter states that he did not race this bike but only rode it in a practice. It was described as an “Orpin Special”. Peter said that, at the time of writing his book, he was glad to hear this bike was still being ridden in classic events. Is this bike still in the UK or was that the one that went to NZ?

Obviously, over the years that Reg Orpin was involved with the Silverstone programme there had to have been many bikes that he worked on, not to mention the other tuner developing these bikes “up north”, Brian Woolley. I wonder how many of these bikes are still in existence?

Stan

#22019 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:02

I received at little more information on the water cooled RDS this weekend from an ex Greeves employee. He said, that as far as he could recollect, there was only one of the water cooled bikes built and that he knew Peter when he worked at Greeves, although working in a different dept. to Peter (it was a pretty small company, after all).

After PW mentioned in his book that the w/c bike was badly damaged at Snetterton later in the 66 season I was asking what happened to it after that or was it beyond repair. I was told that the bike was rebuilt but with a standard motor.

In his book, Peter describes another Silverstone engined bike he built late in 66. This had a small diameter duplex tube frame that he designed and was made by Jim Lee. The photograph of this bike in Peter’s book shows it was fitted with telescopic forks, Oldani brakes and appears to have a special, central exhaust port, air cooled cylinder. Peter states that he did not race this bike but only rode it in a practice. It was described as an “Orpin Special”. Peter said that, at the time of writing his book, he was glad to hear this bike was still being ridden in classic events. Is this bike still in the UK or was that the one that went to NZ?

Obviously, over the years that Reg Orpin was involved with the Silverstone programme there had to have been many bikes that he worked on, not to mention the other tuner developing these bikes “up north”, Brian Woolley. I wonder how many of these bikes are still in existence?

Stan

The Jim Lee Greeves is featured in last edition of Classic Racer and had an aircooled engine.

Despite PWs recollections the water cooled Orpin Greeves was being raced by Peter in early 1967 I have programs from Mallory Park showing Peter entered on the Orpin Greeves in 1967.

The watercooled Greeves raced by Chris Guy was red which was the RES colours of 1967.

I will go through my old programs of the era I raced the Chat Greeves and look for Chris Guy this time. Ths was circa 1971 to 1972, so I am certain it was around then.

Regards

Tony

Advertisement

#22020 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 431 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:51

The Jim Lee Greeves is featured in last edition of Classic Racer and had an aircooled engine.

Despite PWs recollections the water cooled Orpin Greeves was being raced by Peter in early 1967 I have programs from Mallory Park showing Peter entered on the Orpin Greeves in 1967.

The watercooled Greeves raced by Chris Guy was red which was the RES colours of 1967.

I will go through my old programs of the era I raced the Chat Greeves and look for Chris Guy this time. Ths was circa 1971 to 1972, so I am certain it was around then.

Regards

Tony

http://iancramp.co.u...n...ments&pid=5

Don't know if this will help.

#22021 StanN

StanN

• 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 00:59

Thanks Tony,
I have checked back through my Classic Racers, was it the feature on Jim Lee in the July/August issue that you are referring to? The picture of Jim with a Lee framed Greeves is not the same as the PW designed frame that Jim built for Peter/Reg Orpin shown in Peter’s book. The story mentions that Jim built a frame to house a Greeves motor for a Joe Chapman. I suspect that may be the one pictured in Classic Racer. Although there is no date reference for the photo, given the earlier gearbox shown, I think this may have been in 1965.
The bike illustrated in PW’s book has much smaller diameter tubing, the front down tubes end at the front motor mounts and the engine is a structural member, like the standard Silverstone frame. It also has a double sided Oldani brake and, although Peter mentions it had Ceriani forks, the photo shows leading axle forks that look like they may be Bultaco. PW writes that he took this “Orpin Special” to Italy the following year (1967?) but didn’t race it but that Tony(?) raced it in the MGP. If that was the Tony he mentions earlier as the person who helped out with the modifications to adapt the Greeves frame for the w/c motor, that could have been Tony O’Neill who worked in the Greeves drawing office, but I cannot find any reference to him in the 67 MGP records that I can find on the internet.
Of the few programmes I have for this period I can find PW entered on an Orpin Greeves at the International race at Snetterton on April 10, 1966 and the International at Brands on Oct 9, 1966. His race win at Brands on the w/c bike on May 1, 1966 is documented in a couple of books. I have also found an entry for him at the International at Brands on May 29, 1967 on an Orpin Greeves so, as you say, he may have raced the tube framed bike then or it may have been another Orpin machine as he was riding Orpin bikes from 1965.
Regards,
Stan

#22022 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 16:29

Paulmb is going to be busy over the winter again, nice one Paul, post up some photos if you get the chance please? :wave:

http://www.bikesport...amp;newsid=8533

#22023 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:55

www?
Posted Image

#22024 GD66

GD66

• 2,178 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 22:06

Hmmmm... Dresda chassis, dodgy Hondastyle clothing... not sure whether this a Mocheck job or early Honda GB.
Had an inkling trhe Mocheck bikes had a similar paint job but in silver.
Looks like Krober rev counters, too...

#22025 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 22:10

He is a well known name. :wave:

#22026 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,250 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 00:17

www?

Dave Degens with his Dresda framed 750 fours, late 70's.

#22027 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:18

Thanks Tony,
I have checked back through my Classic Racers, was it the feature on Jim Lee in the July/August issue that you are referring to? The picture of Jim with a Lee framed Greeves is not the same as the PW designed frame that Jim built for Peter/Reg Orpin shown in Peter’s book. The story mentions that Jim built a frame to house a Greeves motor for a Joe Chapman. I suspect that may be the one pictured in Classic Racer. Although there is no date reference for the photo, given the earlier gearbox shown, I think this may have been in 1965.
The bike illustrated in PW’s book has much smaller diameter tubing, the front down tubes end at the front motor mounts and the engine is a structural member, like the standard Silverstone frame. It also has a double sided Oldani brake and, although Peter mentions it had Ceriani forks, the photo shows leading axle forks that look like they may be Bultaco. PW writes that he took this “Orpin Special” to Italy the following year (1967?) but didn’t race it but that Tony(?) raced it in the MGP. If that was the Tony he mentions earlier as the person who helped out with the modifications to adapt the Greeves frame for the w/c motor, that could have been Tony O’Neill who worked in the Greeves drawing office, but I cannot find any reference to him in the 67 MGP records that I can find on the internet.
Of the few programmes I have for this period I can find PW entered on an Orpin Greeves at the International race at Snetterton on April 10, 1966 and the International at Brands on Oct 9, 1966. His race win at Brands on the w/c bike on May 1, 1966 is documented in a couple of books. I have also found an entry for him at the International at Brands on May 29, 1967 on an Orpin Greeves so, as you say, he may have raced the tube framed bike then or it may have been another Orpin machine as he was riding Orpin bikes from 1965.
Regards,
Stan

I have found that one of the August 1966 copies of Motor Cycle (I think it is August 25th) has a racer test of the Orpin Greeves. I have ordered all the four August 1966 magazines. Once I have these provided I am correct I shall copy the racer test. They were usually performed by Charlie Rous or another rider of the time. and had perfomance data and photos.

Reg Orpin Motorcycles still exists in Goldhark Road in London but I doubt if Reg is still alive. I will phone today to find out. I beleive Reg actually worked at L Stevens (the Velo Fellows) at the time.

Regards

#22028 GD66

GD66

• 2,178 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:37

. Once I have these provided I am correct I shall copy the racer test. They were usually performed by Charlie Rous or another rider of the time. and had perfomance data and photos.

Usually David Dixon in that era, Bruce Main-Smith before him. You won't find Charlie Rous in leathers much in those times, apart from sprinting a 650 Triumph with Fred Cooper.
Tests of Brian Wooley's Greeves usually had Trevor Burgess along for a ride as well.

Edited by GD66, 21 December 2012 - 08:50.

#22029 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:34

Dave Degens with his Dresda framed 750 fours, late 70's.

:clap: :clap: 1975.

#22030 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,250 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:36

Thanks Tony,
Regards,
Stan

'Tony' is almost certainly Tony Wood who did indeed race a Greeves and AMC singles under the Tom Arter banner at the relevant time.

#22031 GD66

GD66

• 2,178 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:03

Good point Russell, Tony and Peter Williams teamed up on a 250 AJS in one of the early Thruxton 500-milers.... can't have been ALL that exciting... :eek:

#22032 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,250 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:00

Good point Russell, Tony and Peter Williams teamed up on a 250 AJS in one of the early Thruxton 500-milers.... can't have been ALL that exciting... :eek:

Yes, not the obvious choice of bike.... Presumably a quid pro quo with the factory. Having said that I can recall the little ajay being Alan Peck's first ever racer.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 21 December 2012 - 12:04.

#22033 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 13:48

Usually David Dixon in that era, Bruce Main-Smith before him. You won't find Charlie Rous in leathers much in those times, apart from sprinting a 650 Triumph with Fred Cooper.
Tests of Brian Wooley's Greeves usually had Trevor Burgess along for a ride as well.

Why did I say Charlie Rous when I meant David Dixon, he of the white 'battle bowler' must be age or................I've forgotten. :stoned:

#22034 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 17:03

www?

Posted Image

#22035 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 18:08

www?

Posted Image

Alan Blasdell (or Brian Wacket) on a Konig.

Brands Hatch at quarter past three on a Sunday in 1977

Edited by tonyed, 21 December 2012 - 18:09.

#22036 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 21:10

Alan Blasdell (or Brian Wacket) on a Konig.

Brands Hatch at quarter past three on a Sunday in 1977

:clap: Alan Blasdell, but about 1100am Monday King of Brands 1975. True! :D

#22037 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,480 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 00:43

:clap: Alan Blasdell, but about 1100am Monday King of Brands 1975. True! :D

of course ................... :rolleyes: :p

#22038 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:15

Here are a few photos of Allen Blasdell's restored Konig at Stafford in April 2011 plus a YouTube link with a few frames showing the bike warming up at the start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22039 greg1953

greg1953

• 346 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:51

Here are a few photos of Allen Blasdell's restored Konig at Stafford in April 2011 plus a YouTube link with a few frames showing the bike warming up at the start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
That looks fantastic but how did the exhausts work, was it a four into two system ?
Greg

Advertisement

#22040 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:03

Looks great dosnt it!

Here is it is in period PBI 1974.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Photos Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

#22041 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:56

I have found that one of the August 1966 copies of Motor Cycle (I think it is August 25th) has a racer test of the Orpin Greeves. I have ordered all the four August 1966 magazines. Once I have these provided I am correct I shall copy the racer test. They were usually performed by Charlie Rous or another rider of the time. and had perfomance data and photos.

Reg Orpin Motorcycles still exists in Goldhark Road in London but I doubt if Reg is still alive. I will phone today to find out. I beleive Reg actually worked at L Stevens (the Velo Fellows) at the time.

Regards

Magazine turned up today. The issue with the Orpin Greeves test was 18th August1966. However some interesting facts also from that issue and the 25th August issue.

You will see from the test copied below that this is the Jim Lee framed Silverstone and the test mentions the other Orpin Greeves which was glycol cooled, which is the Orpin Greeves I referred to originally.
I have copied also the photo from the recent classic racer (copywrite Mortons media) of the Jim Lee framed Silverstone which the text says was built for Joe Chapman but qualifies this with the statement that Reg Orpin also commissioned frames fro Velocettes for L Stevens, where at that point Reg worked (Managed). I contacted Reg Orpin Motorcycles in Goldhawk Rd London yesterday and spoke to Reg's daughter. Reg died in 1992 and his daughter was unable to help with further information.
The August 24th issue of Motor Cycle also has two other snippets pertinent to this. The Lightweight 250 cc Race TT entry shows number 45 P J Williams entered on a Greeves and the second snippet from this issue, Racing Lines has a letter from the Manx club to Reg Orpin concerning the entry of ‘works’ bikes in the MGP and the clarification that although they will not be entering machines through his name or L G Stevens they will be manning a service depot in the Island.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by tonyed, 22 December 2012 - 11:58.

#22042 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 18:39

My Dad was involved in a project could well have been this. He recalls making a watercooling jacket with JL getting the job of removing the fins. Dad wanted to add a manual switch operated battery driven water pump to use only when reqired ie the Mountain climb but as so often his idea was shelved.

Edited by joeninety, 22 December 2012 - 18:44.

#22043 SgtPepperoni

SgtPepperoni

• 177 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 18:14

WWW. Not difficult, but what a great photo. I have no idea who owns the copyright, but it was on the internet, so excuse me.

Posted Image

#22044 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 18:28

Nice shot of Jon Ekerold 1980?

#22045 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:36

Why was the fuel tank SO big!!? Newbold here @ Trans Trophy 1978, did John race @ Daytona 200/Imola 200 the two weeks before perhaps?

Posted Image

#22046 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 22:11

Anybody there!?

WWW?

Posted Image

#22047 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 22:37

Hi Graham, maybe Harold Eckl, 1984 at silverstone?

Edited by rd500, 28 December 2012 - 22:38.

#22048 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 22:44

Hi Graham, maybe Harold Eckl, 1984 at silverstone?

:clap: :clap: have we had it before!!........... :rotfl: :rotfl:

#22049 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 22:53

:clap: :clap: have we had it before!!........... :rotfl: :rotfl:

never seen that piccy before but the ES machine was a bit of a rarity that year, looking at this i imagine knee down MCN chaps wouldnt be impressed that the leathers arent colour co-ordinated with the bike :lol:

#22050 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 17:48

WWW?
Posted Image