Motorcycle racing 1969-1990 nostalgia 2

• Please log in to reply
22898 replies to this topic

#2201 supercomp

supercomp

• 40 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 23:02

Picblanc

Your pics are brilliant. Don't know how you manage to catalogue them!

Clues:
I am old, have always been bad tempered and Scottish. Mainly raced 250 & 350, but also did 500's.

Advertisement

#2202 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 23:15

Originally posted by supercomp
Picblanc

Clues:
I am old, have always been bad tempered and Scottish. Mainly raced 250 & 350, but also did 500's.

Thank you...I can remember pics I have where & when going back nearly 40 years etc, but I cant remember where I was this morning and what I had for lunch!! :eek: : ;)

A guess before night nights, Stewart Cole or Dave Montgomery?

#2203 Suzuka

Suzuka

• 123 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 23:59

Ref Suzuka's description of Donington 250 race. It was scary for me as well - I was there (on the track) !!

Been reading the forum for a long time and posted a few times. It is brilliant, with so many familiar names posting with so much knowledge and great pics. Been reluctant to post too often as I don't have any pics to contribute.

Good to be reminded of some of the characters in the paddock back then (e.g. Paul & Kim Barker). Try this link
http://uk.youtube.co...feature=related.

Also brought back memories of Chimay. Raced there once (probably about 1982/83). Facilities were a bit basic and corners a bit fast! Myself and Mark Salle asked the organiser when the showers would arrive (as promised in the regulations). He said about 6pm. Sure enough it rained VERY hard at 6pm!! Showers never did arrive.

Don't want to introduce myself just yet. Thought it might be a bit of fun to get the 'experts' guessing!
I raced against Suzuka (Steve ), Jeff (Sayle), Yendor and possibly Rob H (if he ever raced at Elvington). Probably been at same events as Stu, but can't remember being in same race.

The video is brilliant, I think Kim :blush: will appreciate that one :rotfl: I must introduce him to this site.
Its led me on to the race I mentioned earlier, see the Link, Im pretty sure this is the first ever Pro Am race
& certainly one of the best!
http://uk.youtube.co...feature=related

Your id .......We need more clues, or I do at least :cool:

#2204 Suzuka

Suzuka

• 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 00:12

On a new subject.
Last weekend at Stafford ,I was having a good chat with Les Judkins (Famous amongst those who know him!).
Id not seen him for 20years I guess.
Still racing, & Im sure hes at least 68, athough hes says he may retire next year!
What a great guy :clap:

It leads on to a question really, how many have or are still competing at this age or older.
Any pictures of Mr L J?

#2205 jeff sayle

jeff sayle

• 220 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 00:18

Picblanc

Clues:

Initials wouldn't be DMc?????

#2206 TZ350

TZ350

• 789 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:15

Originally posted by Suzuka
On a new subject.
Last weekend at Stafford ,I was having a good chat with Les Judkins (Famous amongst those who know him!).
Still racing, & Im sure hes at least 68, athough hes says he may retire next year!

It leads on to a question really, how many have or are still competing at this age or older.
Any pictures of Mr L J?

yes what a great bloke Les eh, cmae from kettering or northants anyway? I thought he was about 68 in the late 70's :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: no seriuosly likes of Les Judkins formed the backbone of club racing in the UK at the time , intensely nice bloke and as you say if nothing esle famous to those whom ad the pleasure of meeting him :up:

#2207 TZ350

TZ350

• 789 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:18

Originally posted by jeff sayle

My thoughts as well Jeff :wave: , much belated but great to see you on here :up:

#2208 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:42

I was avoiding the 'Names' from Scotland as he said he didn't have any pics to post?...could mean he has not got a scanner though!!? :confused:

As Steve says more clues please. :wave:

That 350 Pro-Am race I think your right it being the first ever, as Kevin Clementson was killed a week or two later very early in the year. :(

#2209 bobness

bobness

• 253 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:45

Originally posted by picblanc

Must be Damon Hill?

Fukuda was one of the 11 riders in the incredible 250 race at Silverstone 1983

Damon Hill it was.
Thanks for the confirmation on TF, that was quite a race.
Re-reading the results list for that day, what a good day for Ivan Gray? And did John Brindley ride for Fowlers?

#2210 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:47

On a new subject.

Any pictures of Mr L J?

What a great character, seems to have been racing forever. The video that Graham refered to from the Marlboro clubmans series, when Martin Rice won the championship, has an interview with Les, where he refers to his passion for racing then mention his eight children which he refers to as his 'between times' :)

When my Dad had his big crash at Snetterton, I remember Les and his wife taking my mum into his caravan to console her a bit.

The year I started racing (1985), on a aircooled MT125 Honda that I paid 300 pounds for, my best result was beating Les into 5th place at Mallory on his year old MBA. Although that was the only time I beat him that year I think!

Les was from Peterborough by the way Julian, not far out.

#2211 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:53

Originally posted by TZ350
yes what a great bloke Les eh, cmae from kettering or northants anyway? I thought he was about 68 in the late 70's :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: no seriuosly likes of Les Judkins formed the backbone of club racing in the UK at the time , intensely nice bloke and as you say if nothing esle famous to those whom ad the pleasure of meeting him :up:

Les according to my poor maths is 76...and still racing Classic bikes this year!! Michael Judkins races also, son?/Grandson?/Great Grandson??!!! :eek:

#2212 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:56

Originally posted by bobness

Damon Hill it was.
Thanks for the confirmation on TF, that was quite a race.
Re-reading the results list for that day, what a good day for Ivan Gray? And did John Brindley ride for Fowlers?

Yeah, John did ride for Dennis/Fowlers for a while, as did his brother Barry for a number of years on the slidycar. The were both backed by Sabre Engineering too, which if I remember correctly was joint owned by the late Dave Saville and the Brindley's.

Nigel

#2213 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:02

Originally posted by LamboNZ

Yeah, John did ride for Dennis/Fowlers for a while, as did his brother Barry for a number of years on the slidycar. The were both backed by Sabre Engineering too, which if I remember correctly was joint owned by the late Dave Saville and the Brindley's.

Nigel

1984? Only one I can find at the moment?, John in front.
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#2214 Shieldsmariner

Shieldsmariner

• 51 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:07

That 350 Pro-Am race I think your right it being the first ever, as Kevin Clementson was killed a week or two later very early in the year. :(

I remember seeing the second round at Cadwell a couple of weeks after Kevin's passing. The grid was decided by the championship positions, which of course at that point were the finishing positions at Donington. They left the pole position vacant in memory of Kevin, which I thought was a nice touch.

Andy

#2215 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:09

1984? Only one I can find at the moment?, John in front.
Posted Image

#173 Ian Newton? Truckmart were a long term sponsor of 'The Newt"

#2216 Macca

Macca

• 3,344 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:52

I think it's '85.............I was just looking in my albums for something worth posting and bingo:

Posted Image

but who else can you see?

Paul M

#2217 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 91 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 13:52

Gentlemen,
appopro very little,not even sure this belongs here but with the wealth of knowledge etc.....
Can any body help to I.D. this very battered medal/badge?
I must confess it was found at snetterton about a year ago,by my son (who has much sharper sight than me).It is shaped like a 50 pence piece,drilled so as can be worn on a chain,has an illustration of two racing bikes surrounded by laurel leaves with a 50 numeral where the laurels meet.The other side has "engraved "in a arabic style script,the following:-Ian Allum, with the date 10-01-87 under,then what looks like PO24 LH.Its very battered, but the name rings a very vague bell somewhere,anyone else have an idea?I am trying to produce a decent image from my digital camera(basic) but keep getting a lot of light bounce,i've even signed up for Image Shack so I can do it, but not sure what colour to use as a background,HELP please?
would really like to return this item to it's owner, if I can.
Any help or info. appreciated,
regards ,
Carrotcruncher.

#2218 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,032 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 14:55

I posted this about eighteen months ago but I like it! Any punts on WWW?
(It seemed every other rider in the early-eighties had that AGV pattern helmet!).

Posted Image

#2219 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 15:53

Originally posted by Macca
I think it's '85.............I was just looking in my albums for something worth posting and bingo:

Posted Image

Paul M

#40 Simon Backmarker? #31 Mez

Advertisement

#2220 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 17:12

Posted Image

Paul M

#128 Mark Westmorland
#12 Gary Padgett
#63 Dave Siedel?
#40 John Brindley again

#2221 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 17:17

Posted Image

Paul M

Bingo indeed, what a great photo Paul! :up:
#4 Des Barry
#40 John Brindley
#12 Gary Padgett
#24 Rob Orme?

#2222 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 17:20

Originally posted by knickerbrook
(It seemed every other rider in the early-eighties had that AGV pattern helmet!).

Posted Image

I like it too!! wish I could remember who it was though!!? I think 85 is Steve Chambers?
Abedare?

#2223 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 17:30

Originally posted by knickerbrook

Posted Image

Hi Barry,

As Graham said, I thought it was Steve too, and is #33 Barrie Middleton?

#2224 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 17:53

Posted Image

Paul M

Was Maurice Newbold John Newbolds Father, (John Brindley #40 bike)

#2225 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,677 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 18:09

Les according to my poor maths is 76...and still racing Classic bikes this year!! Michael Judkins races also, son?/Grandson?/Great Grandson??!!! :eek:

I was racing at a club meeting at Mallory in '90 or maybe '91 when Les came off his 125 heavily at Gerards (I dont know if it was a Morbidelli or MBA) and just about everyone in the paddock besieged the race office asking about Les and if he was OK, the lady who was club secretary (Dont remember her name) was under serious pressure !! Luckily Les was OK after a hospital check-up. A much loved and respected rider.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#2226 Suzuka

Suzuka

• 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 19:26

Slightly off topic.
But just maybe someone will know the Make & Model of the bike pictured below.
Taken its believed sometime during the 1930's.

Any ideas :confused:

Posted Image

#2227 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,677 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:23

Slightly off topic.

Posted Image

PLEASE don't say a Shirtfinkle !! :lol:

The tank looks like a flat-tank Norton, other than that..... :confused:

#2228 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:28

Originally posted by exclubracer

PLEASE don't say a Shirtfinkle !! :lol:

As if I would!!? and Phil is away for a week otherwise.......!!?;)

#2229 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:31

I thought maybe an Excelsior? the name is quiet long on the tank. Mind you me eyes are hurting trying to make it out!!
:eek:

#2230 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,677 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:35

I read in a previous post about racing at Elvington, nr York, does anyone else have memories of racing there with the Auto66 club run by Pete Hillaby? I was there once but much preferred Carnaby, if you got it wrong you ended up in a spud field. Elvington was like racing round a giant car park marked out with cones!!

#2231 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:35

Slightly off topic.

Posted Image

It wouldn't happen to have anything written on the back of the photo would it? Long shot but stranger things have been known!!?
The name Arthur Chambers keeps popping into my head!! : :eek:

#2232 Suzuka

Suzuka

• 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:36

Originally posted by LamboNZ

Hi Barry,

As Graham said, I thought it was Steve too, and is #33 Barrie Middleton?

Posted Image

One thing I remember about this meeting is watching (on the portable Black & white TV),
Digger giving Franco Uncini the "Frightning Spin around", taking his helmet off in the process.
Not so nice when your just about to "Dodge the trees" around Aberdare!
I can recall, being simply unable to open the throttle fully until halfway down the start/finish straight.
The bike was pretty much uncontrollable as you entered the straight.
A fun meeting for me though, but like scarborough a track to "Respect".
With an average speed of 60mph, you would think harmless.............

Heat 1
Roger Hurst from Mick Preston, Stewart Cole, Nick Collis & George Hardwick
Heat 2
Steve Tonkin from Mick Preston, ;) , Barrie Middleton & Chas Mortimer (In the program as the Colin Bevan) but was C M.
Final - "Glyn Holister Trophy"
:D from Barrie Middleton (BM with Fastest Lap 44.9 Speed 60.13), Chas Mortimer, Stewart Cole & Nick Collis.

I won a set of Astralite wheels, which was pretty useful at the time while still on Apprentice wages!!

Just raced at Aberdare once, like Scarborough :| Tracks for the bold & brave.

#2233 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,677 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:36

As if I would!!? and Phil is away for a week otherwise.......!!?;)

Touche Graham :rotfl:

#2234 Suzuka

Suzuka

• 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:43

It wouldn't happen to have anything written on the back of the photo would it? Long shot but stranger things have been known!!?
The name Arthur Chambers keeps popping into my head!! : :eek:

Arthur Chambers on the bike is my Grandfather. However would only have been known very locally
I guess. He wasn't involved with any motorsport, as far as Im aware. He did manage to see my
first win at Cadwell, which was nice. :)

#2235 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:45

He's to modest to mention this, but Barry Needle (Knickerbrook) held the lap record at Aberdare in 1976/77?
I was there (watching) in the summer, a frightening place with trees so close, and a massive camber in the center of the road (footpath!!!) :eek:

#2236 andyb1963

andyb1963

• 648 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:52

Arthur Chambers on the bike is my Grandfather. However would only have been known very locally
I guess. He wasn't involved with any motorsport, as far as Im aware. He did manage to see my

Only thing I can add Steve is that EE or FE (not sure which) are both Grimsby Registration marks IIRC :confused:

#2237 Suzuka

Suzuka

• 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:00

Thank you...I can remember pics I have where & when going back nearly 40 years etc, but I cant remember where I was this morning and what I had for lunch!! :eek: : ;)

A guess before night nights, Stewart Cole or Dave Montgomery?

Im also thinking Stewart Cole :confused: 4th Aberdare '83 ?

I dont think its Donnie McLeod (much respect, very quick). JS is also on that list ;)

#2238 Suzuka

Suzuka

• 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:04

Originally posted by andyb1963

Only thing I can add Steve is that EE or FE (not sure which) are both Grimsby Registration marks IIRC :confused:

That would certainly make sense, I guess the picture would have been taken nearer to Lincoln.
Possibly Bardney? Will have to takle a closer look, as the image I have is just a scan, but will have a look
at the original tommorrow.

#2239 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,677 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:16

Thats a nice one Steve, :wave:

Advertisement

#2240 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:17

He's to modest to mention this, but Barry Needle (Knickerbrook) held the lap record at Aberdare in 1976/77?
I was there (watching) in the summer, a frightening place with trees so close, and a massive camber in the center of the road (footpath!!!) :eek:

A few from July 2008, just illustrating what its like.:eek: :eek:
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2241 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:26

Posted Image

Great names on the cover including Nigels Dad Len Lambourne. :cool:

#2242 supercomp

supercomp

• 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:35

Originally posted by jeff sayle

Absolutely correct Jeff. Seem to recall a few beers with you in a pub somewhere near Brands 20 or so years ago. Remember it was good night. Can't believe we are old enough to be on a Nostalgia forum!!

To everyone else, DMcL is Donnie McLeod. Raced from 78 to 88 so probably know many of the people contributing and featured on here. Look forward to taking a more active part in some of the quizzes now.

Regards & Hello to all

#2243 mfd

mfd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:39

That would certainly make sense, I guess the picture would have been taken nearer to Lincoln.
Possibly Bardney? Will have to takle a closer look, as the image I have is just a scan, but will have a look
at the original tommorrow.

I got FE as a Lincoln registration...but that could be Lincolnshire (Andy)

#2244 mfd

mfd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:48

Regards & Hello to all

:wave: Posted Image

#2245 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:48

Absolutely correct Jeff. Seem to recall a few beers with you in a pub somewhere near Brands 20 or so years ago. Remember it was good night. Can't believe we are old enough to be on a Nostalgia forum!!

To everyone else, DMcL is Donnie McLeod. Raced from 78 to 88 so probably know many of the people contributing and featured on here. Look forward to taking a more active part in some of the quizzes now.

Regards & Hello to all

Blimey!! Donnie McLeod...welcome to the forum proper, the I haven't got any pictures to post threw me of the scent, should of got it from the miserable bit!! :rotfl: any how a few pics, I have a nice one from 1984 on the Dalmac TZ but it needs redoing poor resolution : Post later/tomorrow?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2246 supercomp

supercomp

• 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:50

Originally posted by exclubracer
I read in a previous post about racing at Elvington, nr York, does anyone else have memories of racing there with the Auto66 club run by Pete Hillaby? I was there once but much preferred Carnaby, if you got it wrong you ended up in a spud field. Elvington was like racing round a giant car park marked out with cones!!

Did Elvington regularly. In fact, I think it was first trophy I won -Eboracum club. It was my 'local' circuit - only 4 hours from home.

Two memories:

1. Grids: First to get there got pole. When the marshall released the group from the paddock it was an absolute flat out rush down the straight, then ultra late braking to turn right over a dirt track to the start, which was also taken flat out. Thankfully had some dirt bike experience! Never needed to go as fast in the race as this!

2. Pork scratchings: Pub near circuit sold these. As a young lad from Scotland, I had never seen or tasted these. We did not /do not have these in Scotland. Still seem a strange concept to me!

#2247 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:54

2. Pork scratchings: Pub near circuit sold these. As a young lad from Scotland, I had never seen or tasted these. We did not /do not have these in Scotland. Still seem a strange concept to me!

Yes!, but what a delicacy!!:rolleyes: ...I had two bags on Monday night, helped the three pints of Country Ale go down!! :drunk:

#2248 Rob H

Rob H

• 44 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:54

I raced against Suzuka (Steve ), Jeff (Sayle), Yendor and possibly Rob H (if he ever raced at Elvington). Probably been at same events as Stu, but can't remember being in same race.

(Well I hope ive got the right person here and it is not one of the other scottish riders I knew).

Eyup Mate How you doing. Certainly remember those days back at elvington and carnaby back in , when was it 78??. Particularly when you drove all the way down from carlisle with the big ends Knocking on your Tranny just to beat me into second in the championship. You done good mate!!!!. We did have some fun though didnt we. I think last time we spoke was at oulton in the early eighties when you were in the armstrong team. My son thought it was amazing at the time that I should know some of the good lads so well, Ha Ha. First name terms with them, he was amazed. He,s 34 now and just as hooked on racing as I was and still am for that matter. Anyway I wont waffle too long just in case I got the wrong person (but dont think I have). Hope lifes treating you good. All the best Rob

#2249 Rob H

Rob H

• 44 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:57

Well in the time it took to write that post all as been revealed. How you doing Donnie.

#2250 supercomp

supercomp

• 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 21:58

[QUOTE]Originally posted by picblanc
[B]

Blimey!! Donnie McLeod...welcome to the forum proper, the I haven't got any pictures to post threw me of the scent, should of got it from the miserable bit!! :rotfl: any how a few pics, I have a nice one from 1984 on the Dalmac TZ but it needs redoing poor resolution : Post later/tomorrow?

Hi picblanc

Great pics. I recently had a guy who has my old Jock Gibb Yam TZ350 contact me looking for photos. He is restoring the bike and wanted to do it as per original. To my shame, I had only one photo (never been a great one for nostalgia!). Can I give him your details for more pics?

Donnie