Photo

Bill Perkins' Lotus Mk VI-BMW

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:44

Found mention of this interesting car in Anthony Pritchard´s Lotus book: "...and among the more interesting variants were Bill Perkins´s with a 2 litre BMW engine..."

Contemporary race reports tell of an "enormous roof to a bonnet concealing a BMW engine" or "the mountainous bonnet which concealed a 328 BMW engine".

So I would terribly like to see a photo of this car!

And what else is known about it. Does anybody know the chassis number and further details about car and engine? I know Perkins took part in the Great Auclum hillclimbs of 1958 and 1959 and at Prescott in 1959. Any further race participations?

Advertisement

#2 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:47

I have several photos of this car, mostly bought from Ted Walker's Ferret Fotographics over the years and copyrighted. Chassis number is given as 76 with engine number 85418 according to the logbook for SNX 640 with the date of first registration given as 4 July 1955. I'll have to try to post a small low resolution image for research purposes.

The bonnet bulge is slightly higher than than the top of the instrument scuttle and reaches from midway back along the nosecone to within a few inches of the rear of the bonnet.

One of the photos shows the car taking part in a 1960 MMEC (Midland Motoring Enthusiasts Club) event at Silverstone driven by 'Ward'. Another is of A (Tony?) H Searson competing at the Longleat hillclimb in August 1965 and the last one I have showing the BMW bulge is of N (Nigel?) J W Stoyel in the Pomeroy Trophy in March 1967.

After that the BMW engine appears to have been replaced with something which would fit under a standard bonnet as I have a picture of Cardiff based Trevor Corner competing in a Players No 6 Autocross in 1968 and the bonnet/nosecone bulges have gone .

The car exists today awaiting restoration.

#3 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 13:19

Posted Image

This photo of the Lotus Mk 6 BMW came from Ferret - the only markings on the back of the original are:
PHOTOGRAPHIC Craftsmen Ltd
Foundry Lane, SMETHWICK, Staffs.
No

No detail of the driver or date but perhaps someone (Steve Wilkinson?) can identify the venue etc. The power bulge is neatly done, I think.

#4 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 14:03

Whow, TNF is always good for surprise! That many details and even a picture, I had not expected this that quickly! :kiss: Thank you very much for this!

So another interesting piece in my compilation of BMW 328-related variations, and what an exotic one! What could have been the idea behind it, putting a nearly twenty year old engine under - well, hm - rather into the bonnet of that car, instead of choosing the further developed Bristol or another make?

#5 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 18:08

uechtel, I remembered that I have a poor photocopy of an article in the Lotuseers series in Sports Car and Lotus Owner, November 1957 on Bill Perkins.

Seeing that you are interested in the BMW engines here are some extracts from the article.
To set the scene:
'At the age of 51 Bill Perkins must be one of the oldest active Lotuseers. He completed his Mark VI in July 1955, and has been a regular competitor in the car with the huge "power-bulge" ever since.'

He and his brother Jack had a Meadows engined HRG after the war and were going to uprate the engine with high compression pistons. 'However, before they were delivered a brand new 2-litre type 55 BMW balloon-winch engine had been purchased and the special pistons were soon forgotten during the headaches of mating the new power unit to a Wolseley gearbox.'

As an aside 'At the same time Jack had branched off on his own and had purchased a type 35C Bugatti.'

The HRG-BMW was used successfully in Hillclimbs and Sprints during 1951 and 1952. 'At the end of this spell a special ex-Gillie Tyrer 328 BMW engiine and gearbox unit was installed in the car again in the search for more power. This engine produced 110 hp'...

'For two years he competed in his potent mount and then became tired of the discomfort and poor braking of the car. The answer appeared to be a Mark VI Lotus.' Having sold the HRG less engine and gearbox 'an order was promptly placed for a kit of parts to build the Mark VI, the idea being to pop the 328 engine and gearbox in and be ready for the start of the 1955 season.' Needless to say it wasn't so easy but he did make the Great Auclum hillclimb in July...

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,573 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 20:16

Originally posted by Charles Helps
Posted Image

This photo of the Lotus Mk 6 BMW came from Ferret - the only markings on the back of the original are:
PHOTOGRAPHIC Craftsmen Ltd
Foundry Lane, SMETHWICK, Staffs.
No

No detail of the driver or date but perhaps someone (Steve Wilkinson?) can identify the venue etc. The power bulge is neatly done, I think.

Looks like a quarry, could be the one outside Chorley in Lancashire that was in use in the 1950s.

#7 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 20:29

Clerk/Clark Hill. see relevant thread, loose surfaces.
RL

#8 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 21:51

So I understand this is July 1955?

Yes indeed I am interested to gather information on all BMW 328 related models and specials around the world. So that HRG-BMW is the second addition to my records in just one day! :clap:

Of course this is followed by the inevitable question for further details on the car, race stats and again a picture would make me very happy...

#9 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,573 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:27

Originally posted by bradbury west
Clerk/Clark Hill. see relevant thread, loose surfaces.
RL

I tried searching on Clerk Hill as a thread title but no joy!

#10 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:11

It's this one

#11 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 18:04

West Hants & Dorset CC Wiscombe hillclimb on July 10/11 1965, in the Autosport report it says "A.H. Searson had a very horrid airborne trip up to the gateway, damaging the front of the Lotus-BMW but fortunately not himself".

#12 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,051 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 20:58

Registration SNX 640:

https://revslib.stan...log/ns338rs2255

RGDS RLT

#13 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,051 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 14:23

Motor Sport, July 1969: