Photo

1920s German GP photo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 288 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 13:22

Can anyone help identify the people in this photo? I believe it is from the German Grand Prix, 1928 in my opinion - can anyone confirm?
The people I do recognise are (standing up, left to right) Charly Caracciola (in the beret between the man with the moustache and the man with the hat) Christian Werner, Rudolf Caracciola, Ferdinando Minoia, Otto Merz. (Sitting down on chairs left to right) Ferdinand Porsche, Willy Walb, Gastone Brilli-Peri. The man with the hat next to Charly Caracciola looks familiar to me. I am sure I have seen him in other photos from the period - who is he? And who is the driver/co-driver sitting cross-legged at the front? I do know, from other photos of the same group, that the obscured man with the white armband to the right of Merz is a young and slim Alfred Neubauer. Is that Adolf Rosenberger or co-driver O Kuhnle standing up at the extreme left behind the boy?

Posted Image

I am guessing that the second photo is also from a German Grand Prix in the 1920s but I am open to suggestions. Clearly that is Christian Werner and Ferdinand Porsche, but who is the driver/co-driver on the right? Again I am sure I have seen him elsewhere but can't put a name to him.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img176.images...3/img068eh2.jpg
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img176/img068eh2.jpg/1/][IMG]

Advertisement

#2 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:02

I would say that's Karl Sailer on the right in the second picture. The man with the hat and armband in the first picture just might be Karl Kappler, but I'm not too sure - I'm more familiar with US drivers of the period! :stoned:

#3 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:58

Simon - yes, on the button, the 1928 German Grand Prix victory picture. On the left the man standing behind Ferdinand Porsche is Giovanni Canestrini, the "La Gazetta dello Sport" journalist. Next to him with hat is another Italian but who? On the right edge of the picture with white armband is Alfred Neubauer and in front of him with hat in his hand is Daimler-Benz General Director Carl Schippert.

#4 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 17:45

And who is the driver/co-driver sitting cross-legged at the front?

Could that be Zu Leiningen ?

Is that Adolf Rosenberger or co-driver O Kuhnle standing up at the extreme left behind the boy?

I don't know , but I don't think it's Rosenberger .

Posted Image

#5 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 21:21

Originally posted by Simon Davis

I have my doubts about the guy sitting cross legged being Hermann zu Leiningen. Have a look at his portrait on the inside front cover of Chris Nixon's 'Auto Union Album 1934-1939' and you will see what I mean. Plus would a Prince sit on the floor? The man in the photo looks like a junior member of one of the teams.

I'm doubtful that it's Leiningen also . But the only photo's I've seen of him were from later on in the 1930's . He would have been 27 years old , I do believe , when that photo was taken , so I thought it was possibly him at a younger age than I'm familiar with , there seems to be a slight resemblance .

And I believe he was driving for Mercedes in 1928 , and it was early in his career , so he would have been a junior member at that time . However , I do not know if he was driving for them that day .

#6 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 23:14

Definately not zu Hermann Prinz zu Leiningen. This is him circa 1934:

Posted Image

#7 alessandro silva

alessandro silva

• 758 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:15

Originally posted by Hans Etzrodt
Next to him with hat is another Italian but who?

Renzo Castagneto, one of the Mille Miglia inventors.

#8 alessandro silva

alessandro silva

• 758 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:14

Confirming Castagneto.

He was a professional race organizer since several years before the Mille Miglia and as such he had contacts all over Europe.