* * * - - 7 votes

Bruno Senna

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
962 replies to this topic

#1 equality

equality

• 1,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 20:49

Bruno Senna is saying he has offers for an F1 seat next year. Does anyone have any background on this guy? Is he any good other than his surname would suggest?

Advertisement

#2 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 20:54

Check out http://en.wikipedia....a#Racing_record

I think he's pretty good considering that he missed out a lot of years when he should have been karting.

On the other hand I've still not seen anything that suggests he's a ton better than a load of other drivers out there.

#3 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 20:55

the guy is another pk jr. there's no more refreshing hill'jr.

#4 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 20:55

Posted Image

#5 equality

equality

• 1,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:00

Google is nice but id rather hear from racing fans if this guy is the real deal or not. Apparently not :)

#6 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:11

Originally posted by lukywill
the guy is another pk jr. there's no more refreshing hill'jr.

josh hill is/was racing btw, in lil ginetta's

bruno is probably more the new hill than new senna

#7 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:12

I have watched a few races this year and I would not say he is the outstanding driver of the series.

I would put him amongst the best pack of drivers including Pantano, Di Grassi and Grosjean. Mostly sensible drivers.

I reckon he will go to STR.

As much as I like Seabass, I cannot see him staying. He says the car is not right for him and every time I hear the onboard radios for him in the garage, he sounds very analytical but all he does is moan, moan, moan. I think this will be his downfall and Senna will go straight into this seat next year.

He is not outstanding and frankly I would like to see Pantano get another chance but he is flavour of the year, has the name and Berger likes him.

btw he is like Ayrton in name only. Personality-wise, they are like chalk and cheese. I know people may say I'm crazy but frankly I think that Alonso is the closest thing to Senna we have in terms of personality. Very brooding, moody and yet everything he says is interesting, I pay very close attention to his good words.

#8 Rafo

Rafo

• 96 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:23

Senna, is a risk, as any other young driver ..but probably one worth taking.

As someone said not much different from many other talents in the pre-f1 series, with a huge exception, that this guy has a pretty big financial support (senna family is pretty wealthy in Brazil, plus his name attracts sponsors - Santader is already backing him up), therefore has had access to good teams all his way up (i.e. GP2).

Said that, his driving has been good and has put that top equipment to good use, showing good results in his last GP2 season. That alone probably makes him worthy of a f1 entry level opportuinty. Anyone with his results (+sponsors) would probably be able to get an opportunity.

Will he succed? ...thats another story!

I tend to think he does have some talent, clearly not his uncle's talent, but not much different in performance from others who have made it into F1.

What opens a BIG hope of being in the front of someone of real talent, is the fact that he has achieved these results in only 4 years of competitive driving. Due to his family history in racing, he was never allowed to race in Brazil, and only started to race in 2005 (formula BMW), 2006 (British F3), 2007 and 2008 (GP2) ...he jumped all the karting phase and other small formulas ...he started with 20 y.o. When many of his competition in these series have been driving since age 6 probably... So that something I would like to see if it actually turns to be what ppl are expecting based on his surname.

#9 Bernd Rosemeyer

Bernd Rosemeyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:44

Originally posted by equality
Google is nice but id rather hear from racing fans if this guy is the real deal or not. Apparently not :)

He didn't set the GP2 on fire and lost against a veteran who didn't succeed in F1. He should stay another year and claim the title and then move up to F1.

#10 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:49

One thinks he is like half the current grid. Will add nothing, will not subtract as well -- in the unlikely event he gets a seat. One could always be wrong, though. ;)

#11 Jacquesback

Jacquesback

• 1,678 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:54

He's the real deal, he just needs time and the right team to give it to him. He will be a star!

#12 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 22:11

There's a "Search BB" function.

Earlier threads e.g.:

http://forums.autosp...ght=Bruno Senna

#13 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 00:27

He did pretty good this year in GP2 and he's had less experience that most of his competitors, but he also didn't blow people away. There were at least a handful of GP2 drivers who seemed pretty much equal this year.

IMO He should stay in GP2 another year to gain some more experience and improve. I think moving to F1 in 2009 would be a mistake. First impressions are very important in F1. There are a lot of drivers to replace you, and drivers don't usually get a "second chance" in F1 (just ask this years GP2 champion, Giorgio Pantano)

I could be completely wrong of course, it's always hard to predict how well a new driver will do. I don't think most people expected Hamilton to give Alonso a run for his money.

#14 Levike

Levike

• 1,040 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:34

I think he's worth for a try.
His season was full of unlucky things, and some inconsistency, but when he was on it, it was really standout.
And he was much more consistent than the year before. He was always in the faster bunch of the field. At least in the races.

#15 airwise

airwise

• 2,009 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:43

I get the impression from the Autosport article that his chances depend on how much money he can bring with him. That's how it should be right now. He certainly doesn't look ready to step into a race seat on merit. His two seasons in GP2 really mirror those of Piquet - and at least he got a year of testing under his belt before suffering a hugely disappointing debut season. But money talks.

#16 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,188 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:50

I'm not sure that we need another Bruno thread...

His 2 seasons weren't as good as Piquet's, but he was about a match for Pantano and di Grassi, with those 3 miles ahead of everyone else over this season. But he'll be upstairs in one way or another, and he'll be worth the punt when he gets there. I just wish someone would give Giorgio a chance too.

#17 Chris Glass

Chris Glass

• 277 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:24

If his last name was Smith would anyone even be talking about him? If you cant stand out in lower formula then you cant be anything special 99% of the time. I cant think of many exceptions in recent times. Mark Webber is one.

#18 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:37

I think someone needs to get into his camp and have him go out of his way to downplay things. He talks about getting into F1 with a confidence that seems almost like entitlement compared to Pantano. Yeah I'm sure he is talking with teams, but I think he needs to humble himself and the rumours.

He really is not going to have a fun time from here on in, imo. Everyone will be in love with him when he gets in, but once the novelty wears off he won't stand a chance in the public/media perception wars.

#19 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:47

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
I think someone needs to get into his camp and have him go out of his way to downplay things. He talks about getting into F1 with a confidence that seems almost like entitlement compared to Pantano. Yeah I'm sure he is talking with teams, but I think he needs to humble himself and the rumours.

He really is not going to have a fun time from here on in, imo. Everyone will be in love with him when he gets in, but once the novelty wears off he won't stand a chance in the public/media perception wars.

Indeed Re Piquet Jr...

Advertisement

#20 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,214 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:47

entitlement

Well there ya go.....
The guys I travel with are aghast when they hear the names.. Rosberg, Nakajima,Piquet,Lauda.
I have to explain the heritage card.

Jp

#21 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,188 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:33

To be honest he doesn't go out of his way to make these statements but journalists do seek him out, partially on performance and partially because of his name. I know what you're saying, and I do agree to an extent, but there's only so many times he can say 'sorry, I'm trying to concentrate on GP2 before I talk about F1'. And you're right about the comparison with Giorgio, but every journalist I know assumes that he won't get up to F1, so they tend to ask him about America or whatever. And the team surrounding Bruno don't help to damp the rumours down.

But Bruno himself will be fine: he's a remarkably switched on guy, and probably the most down to earth of the 'stars' that have gone through GP2. And his pace was exceptional this year: he had the usual iSport bad luck (plus a bit extra, compared to Timo), so it's not as though he hasn't done enough to deserve a seat in the circus on merit.

#22 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,929 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:06

Originally posted by Jackman
.... I just wish someone would give Giorgio a chance too.

They did. Didn't you get the memo? ;)

And for the topic. No, Senna hasn't 'earned' anything with his driving. I can only see di Grassi as F1 material in this years crop.

Mind I also thought Glock was overrated last year. Shows how much I know. :drunk:

#23 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,351 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:24

I cannot judge since I didn't see him race more than twice, but he doesn't look so dominant. However Ayrton Senna didn't build his reputation in one year, until he signed for McLaren in fact. Let's give him time, one lucky race like Vettel's and everyone will say he is the one.

#24 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:40

Heres the thing, Pantano beat him & Pantano isnt good enough for F1

Bruno needs more time in GP2, stay there for 1 more year, maybe 2 and then see what happens.

What happens if he jumps into F1, gets a rubbish car, doesn't have the experience to make that car good and gets beaten by his team mate.

You dont very often get a second chance in F1

#25 Gecko

Gecko

• 876 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:45

Hacklerf, I agree. That said, if a chance of a proper F1 race drive does come up, you just don't say no, no matter what.

#26 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:49

Originally posted by Gecko
Hacklerf, I agree. That said, if a chance of a proper F1 race drive does come up, you just don't say no, no matter what.

That is very true, but with the name Senna, i feel he has a chance again in the future

#27 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:22

I think a season of testing an F1 car with maybe the odd race here and there would be beneficial for him; straight into F1 would be tough for someone with his limited experience. He's definitely got the pace when conditions are right but he looks very ordinary when it's not quite there for him.

#28 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:26

Has he claimed to be as good as Senna yet?

#29 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:09

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
I think a season of testing an F1 car with maybe the odd race here and there would be beneficial for him; straight into F1 would be tough for someone with his limited experience. He's definitely got the pace when conditions are right but he looks very ordinary when it's not quite there for him.

I disagree. I think a season of testing an F1 car would be disastrous. He is in only his 4th season of full time racing. Putting him out to pasture will kill all the momentum. It would be a nightmare.

If he gets up to F1, he needs to race. He will make mistakes. A lot of mistakes. But he has huge natural talent and deserves a shot at some point. Not convinced he's ready, but he will come good.

#30 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:12

I see where you are coming from but I personally think a season in a midfield car as against a season testing for Ferrari or McLaren would be better for him to learn more about set-ups etc and if he could get the odd race in then great.

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:14

In the past when you could do 35 days year testing, I'd agree. These days you'd get next to nothing.

#32 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,188 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:16

F1 testing roles are effectively name only jobs these days: with the reduction in test days the race drivers take almost all of the testing track time there is. You've only got to look at how little testing Piquet did last year and the effect it had on his natural ability this year to realise that a testing role is quite possibly a disadvantage these days.

#33 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:45

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#34 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:51

I thought he was good this year in Gp2. IMO only Di Grassi performed better. I know Pantano won the series but it was about time, he's been racing at this level forever, whereas Bruno has only been racing for what, four years?

#35 minigeff

minigeff

• 166 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:17

give bruno some time and a decent car and i think he'll get somewhere.

i think too much emphasis is made on the name rather than the driver.

#36 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 17:38

Originally posted by minigeff
give bruno some time and a decent car and i think he'll get somewhere.

i think too much emphasis is made on the name rather than the driver.

But eh... isn't Bruno putting himself in the limelight a little bit too much by talking? Every other week I see quotes of Bruno of having offers from F1 teams... and to me, he is just one of many talented youngsters coming up.

#37 airwise

airwise

• 2,009 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 17:56

Originally posted by Buttoneer

Actually he's claimed he's better - well at least that's what his uncle hinted at. The arrogance.

#38 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 18:37

I don't remember reading anywhere that quotes him saying that he's better than his uncle.

His uncle claimed that he was better than him, not the othe way around.

#39 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,390 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 19:14

It's said his uncle said it, actually.

Advertisement

#40 SB

SB

• 2,437 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 00:37

Originally posted by Buttoneer

Unlike another young Englishman he doesnt need to claim so ... Since the day he was born, he is already as good as a [B.] Senna ! :stoned:

#41 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:07

Originally posted by Nitropower
However Ayrton Senna didn't build his reputation in one year, until he signed for McLaren in fact. .

Not to get off topic, but Senna did build his reputation in his very first year (1984). He did incredible things in the Toleman, including nearly winning his first GP at Monaco. The next three years he won 6 GPs and had many, many poles with Lotus. So, I think he accomplished quite a bit before he joined McLaren in 1988.

#42 airwise

airwise

• 2,009 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:58

Originally posted by Slyder
I don't remember reading anywhere that quotes him saying that he's better than his uncle.

His uncle claimed that he was better than him, not the othe way around.

But he's done nothing to refute his uncle's suggestion. The arrogance......

#43 Levike

Levike

• 1,040 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:50

Originally posted by airwise

I don't think that he is arrogant. At least he is not a PR crap.
And who is in a better pisition to talk about Ayrton ? :)

#44 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:57

Originally posted by 911
... including nearly winning his first GP at Monaco...

Had the race continued, Senna would indeead nearly have won his first GP, because Stefan Bellof would've taken the chequered flag for Tyrrell. :cool:

#45 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:59

Originally posted by lukywill
the guy is another pk jr.

That's very harsh, give BS one season of racing before you judge him. Or at least half a season :p

But do not equate him to the abomination that is NPJr.

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:09

Just going on F3 and Gp2 form, Piquet is a hell of a lot quicker than Senna. We'll only know how they compare as F1 drivers when Bruno drives in F1, but I've no reason to believe he'd do better than Piquet is currently.

#47 Jimages

Jimages

• 141 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:49

By virtue of his surname, Bruno will probably race in F1 sometime in the future, be that next year or a couple of years down the line. He may not be an instant success but neither was Felipe Massa, and he has since worked hard and smoothed off many rough edges.

Bruno has done well against rivals who have much more racing experience than he does, but to be honest it is now time for that comment or excuse to be put to bed because if you haven't got the ability to race at his level then no amount of go-karting experience is going to change that.

Personally I think Bruno is certain to race in F1 in the near future, GP2 has been an excellent feed caterogry, it's champions Rosberg, Hamilton, Glock all graduated to race seats into F1, it's runners up graduated to race seats in F1 after a year of testing, Kovalainen, Piquet, (Di Grassi looks likely to race with Renault in the future).

The main exception to this rule seems to be Pantano, although he raced in F1 with Jordan in 2004. He's always been very good at F3000/GP2 level, but he's been there for far too long and it doesn't seem he will get another chance in F1.

Other GP2 names to race in F1 include Speed, Nakajima etc.

#48 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 13:16

Originally posted by airwise

Do what? Go to the press and say, " you know? Ayrton was joking blah blah blah."?

He doesn't have to say anything, he just goes and drives the car and period, let his driving do the talking.

#49 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:10

Some random quotes from Senna: ''I have no contract with Berger. And I don't have a precontract with Toro Rosso either. Toro Rosso is one of the teams which we're talking to, but there are others also.''

''We (he and his manager, which is his sister Bianca) are talking with Toro Rosso, Honda, Williams and Toyota. We have to talk with as much teams as possible. The worst thing would be to be pushed towards a corner not being able to come out of it.''

''Ideally I would like to drive races next year. A job as a testdriver would only be interesting when I can not only test the absolutely minimum mileage a team is entitled to, but also take part in pr work and that sort of thing.''

''I will probably test a Formula 1 car for the first time in November. I was actually to test at Jerez in the week prior to Singapore, that was thought of but it was at too short notice. I cannot say who I'll be driving for.''

''At the moment everyone is waiting on what Alonso is going to do. Only when that is known it will be clear what kind of possibilities I have as a new comer.''

#50 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:32

Originally posted by AFCA

''At the moment everyone is waiting on what Alonso is going to do. Only when that is known it will be clear what kind of possibilities I have as a new comer.''

By 'everyone' he can only mean Honda and Renault because the top drives all seem to be taken.