* * * - - 7 votes

Bruno Senna

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
962 replies to this topic

#51 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,394 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:45

I see Bruno driving at Honda in 2009 replacing Rubens and bringing Petrobras with him

Advertisement

#52 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:30

I think Bruno is good, but by no means Formula One standard.

Pantano, Di Grassi and Buemi all deserve places ahead of him.

I'm sure Senna is a lovely guy, but any Formula One seat will come because of his family name rather than outstanding ability.

#53 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:31

Originally posted by Francesc
I see Bruno driving at Honda in 2009 replacing Rubens and bringing Petrobras with him

I'd be surprised by that....

Originally posted by AFCA

But for now, Brawn would at most grant Senna a testseat for a year. He needs to tougher driver to keep moving forward with Honda. Barrichello can stay in case neither Alonso nor Heidfeld are to come to the team.

#54 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,832 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:37

Originally posted by potmotr
I think Bruno is good, but by no means Formula One standard.

Pantano, Di Grassi and Buemi all deserve places ahead of him.

What the hell has Buemi done to deserve an F1 seat?

#55 Levike

Levike

• 1,036 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:16

Originally posted by Jackman
What the hell has Buemi done to deserve an F1 seat?

Or Pantano, or DiGrassi ?
DiGrassi were profiting jut from the frontrunner's mistakes and misfortunes.
Pantano was OK, but not better than Senna.
It seems that every long time protegee gets F1 test except Bruno who doesn't participated any young driver programme or something... :)

#56 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:20

I think this year was a pretty average year for GP2 talent, which would make Senna's elevation to Formula One even more remarkable given that he didn't win the championship.

#57 estoril85

estoril85

• 1,376 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:24

Originally posted by lustigson

Had the race continued, Senna would indeead nearly have won his first GP, because Stefan Bellof would've taken the chequered flag for Tyrrell. :cool:

yes, poor stefan bellof, a massive talent, taken too soon. had he not crashed that porsche at eau rouge he would most likely have been all that michael schumacher became to the german fans.

#58 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:20

The Honda bosses in Toyoko are apperantly eager to get rid of Barrichello. They want a strong driver that can fight for wins and can motivate the team. It's clear to them though that Alonso probably isn't going to leave Renault. And yet, Senna has been invited for a test in November to show he can work hard and learn quickly enough to make up for his lack of experience. But with Heidfeld being confirmed and Alonso likely to stay put, Barrichello's chances have certainly gone up.

Brawn prefers experience over raw talent, also considering the introduction of slick tyres, KERS and the adjustable frontwing.

#59 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 17:07

So, first time in a F1 and Bruno beats the fast Di Grassi by more than 1 sec.

B. Senna Honda RA108 1:24.343 +3.580 39
L. Di Grassi Honda RA108 1:25.512 +4.749 48

Lets see if he can keep this pace, but so far...:up:

Advertisement

#60 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 21:12

Originally posted by molive

That is quite impressive, but of course he will have to sustain this kind of form across a few tests, and in different conditions, and with different set-ups and fuel loads.

#61 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 21:14

You can't read this much into it. Lucas ran in the morning on a green track, and Senna ran in the afternoon on a much less green track. They weren't running at the same time so it's not a fair comparison.

#62 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 22:44

Originally posted by CWeil

You can't read this much into it. Lucas ran in the morning on a green track, and Senna ran in the afternoon on a much less green track. They weren't running at the same time so it's not a fair comparison.

Yep, I know. But lets consider he´s only in his 4th year of OW racing, 1st time in a F1, and he even though he didnt set the world on fire, he also dindt look foolish at all, as some people suggested (or hoped) he would.

Looking forward to the rest of this saga. :)

#63 Rob

Rob

• 8,257 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 22:52

Yep, I know. But lets consider he´s only in his 4th year of OW racing, 1st time in a F1, and he even though he didnt set the world on fire, he also dindt look foolish at all, as some people suggested (or hoped) he would

I have to pinch myself when someone says it's only his fourth year - it doesn't seem remotely possible but it's completely true.

#64 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,797 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 22:58

Bruno Senna If you're a member ; that picture is uncanny . . . . Senna returns to F1. :clap:

#65 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 23:56

I am from the same generation as his late uncle and remember the days of Ayrton very clearly. Wherever he raced he did not merely win, he dominated.

Bruno Senna is the darling of the media similar to the next US president Obama - it does not really matter what he does or says, the media will support him and excuse him. In time they will regret such foolishness and can never recoup their credibility.

Bruno is a good driver, but he is certainly not in his uncles class.

The disgrace is that Pantano has not even been offered the opportunity to test a formula one car. But then it is the culture of the world today to paint a picture they want to believe is true.

Same with Hamilton. Same with the Chinese Grand Prix versus how spiteful and unrelenting Ecclestone is towards European circuits, Britain and Canada.

Such a great pity. Ecclestone should look back sometime and recognize that it was those circuits he has turned his back on that he was able to make f1 into his own image and become a very wealthy man in teh process. Disgrace on you Bernie.

#66 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 23:58

Lets not forget that Di Grassi has been in a F1 car many times already as a tester for Renault. Bruno matched and bettered his time even with less runs.

Now they will test in different days, lets see what happens.

#67 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 00:06

Originally posted by MonzaOne
Bruno is a good driver, but he is certainly not in his uncles class.

The same can be said of all the other drivers. No one will even be like Ayrton.

Bruno had his own story to write, his own career, and he will make it or brake it on his own. Ok, its probably his name that got him to this test, but its his performance that will give him (or not) a ride.

#68 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 00:43

The same can be said of all the other drivers. No one will even be like Ayrton.

Bruno had his own story to write, his own career, and he will make it or brake it on his own. Ok, its probably his name that got him to this test, but its his performance that will give him (or not) a ride.

That was the point of my post - that it is injustice when the GP2 champion is ignored.

At the same time I think that Bruno needs to be careful because he will be serenaded and it can lead to "legend in my own mind" thinking. I think he is worthy of an f1 chance but ought to be a test driver for a year. He really should talk to Massa if a serious race seat offer is made about the issue of first being a test driver. Bruno does not have to rush he does have that luxury that someone such as Massa did not.

#69 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 00:46

I am so sick of hearing how fresh he is and how everything he does has tp be tempered by that. IT DOESNT ANYMORE. What he does now has to speak for itself and nothing else.

Differences in his and Lucas's times are completely irrelevant because they were set at different times of the day on a first day of testing this week. It's not a valid comparison, no matter what you say.

Yes, Di Grassi has driven the Renault a bunch, but neither have driven the Honda, and Senna has had a bunch of miles on high powered cars before (including previous generations of F1 cars). Both drivers did quite well I'm sure.

I am completely sick of hearing how he's so inexperienced and therefore we should view it as even more great compared to what it is. If his name was ANYTHING but Senna, NOBODY would allow that moniker to stick. Ever.

Kimi had, what, a year? Who talks about that anymore.

#70 mapguy

mapguy

• 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:14

If he didn't have the last name Senna, where would he be? Probably flipping burgers with Dale Earnhardt Jr.

How do you say "Would you like fries with that?" in portuguese?

#71 Vegetableman

Vegetableman

• 197 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:27

People did talk about Kimi's lack of experience in his first shot at a championship, 03. And he showed it a couple of times with mistakes in qualifying. People don't talk about it anymore but at the time it was mentioned.

#72 Arion

Arion

• 2,413 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:27

Originally posted by mapguy
If he didn't have the last name Senna, where would he be?

he'd still have got a test from a F1 team, he's the GP2 championship runner-up.

#73 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:36

Originally posted by Arion

Then why not also grant the GP2 CHAMPION a similar courtesy?

Double standards and it would be well that Bruno [I cannot call him "Senna" because there was only one]reflect on this. Because should he mistep, as has Piquet this past season, he WILL be compared to Senna, and it will not be in his favor, and it could destroy him.

Just examine how Jacques Villeneuve responded and he was a champion in all other categories coming across to f1, finishing second in his first year in the f1 championship and becoming world champion in his second year with strong competition against him.

JV even used to refuse to discuss his father. There is pressure and he had the ability to carry it off and win. Question is - is Bruno, Nelsinho or Jacques?

#74 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:45

Perhaps the teams just think that Senna has more potential at a younger age then Pantano as with the other rivers who have been tested. Just because you win the GP2 title doesn't automatically give you a test.

#75 Arion

Arion

• 2,413 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:53

Then why not also grant the GP2 CHAMPION a similar courtesy?

Double standards and it would be well that Bruno [I cannot call him "Senna" because there was only one]reflect on this. Because should he mistep, as has Piquet this past season, he WILL be compared to Senna, and it will not be in his favor, and it could destroy him.

Just examine how Jacques Villeneuve responded and he was a champion in all other categories coming across to f1, finishing second in his first year in the f1 championship and becoming world champion in his second year with strong competition against him.

JV even used to refuse to discuss his father. There is pressure and he had the ability to carry it off and win. Question is - is Bruno, Nelsinho or Jacques?

It's not double standard, if Bruno had spent 7 years in GP2/F3000, he would have been ignored by F1 teams too.

There's a lot of pressure on him because of his name, so? what can he do? He cannot choose not be Ayrton's nephew. I don't think Nelsinho's difficult year has anything to do with living up to expectations.

#76 911

• 2,208 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:07

Originally posted by CWeil

Kimi had, what, a year? Who talks about that anymore.

But, like many of the contemporary F1 drivers, Kimi started racing karts at a young age (10) and had logged hundreds of races before he went to open wheel.

#77 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,871 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:12

i think bruno is decent, probably not extra super special, but decent enough

gp2 champ should get a test tho, with renault as they provide engines for gp2

#78 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,317 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:51

Originally posted by wewantourdarbyback
Perhaps the teams just think that Senna has more potential at a younger age then Pantano as with the other rivers who have been tested. Just because you win the GP2 title doesn't automatically give you a test.

What's interesting is that he's really not all that young, at least not in the Vettel sense. In fact, he's only three years younger than the "old" driver he might be teamed with next year, Jenson Button. And Di Grassi is only a year younger than Senna.

#79 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,572 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:06

Posted Image

I wish him the best. May he prove his detactors wrong.

Advertisement

#80 mapguy

mapguy

• 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:04

Originally posted by Arion

Uhh... No. Let me rephrase that. If his name was Bruno Carvalho would he be where he is today? With no seed money coming from his famous last name?

Like I said, flipping burgers with Dale Jr.

#81 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,832 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:15

Originally posted by mapguy
Uhh... No. Let me rephrase that. If his name was Bruno Carvalho would he be where he is today? With no seed money coming from his famous last name?

Sure: assuming he still comes from a rich family, like all Brazilian racers, then the talent that he has shown would put him in exactly the same position.

His name hasn't hurt, but pretty much every Brazilian racing driver has come from a rich family, and in racing money talks. It's what they show after getting a foot in the door that seperates the di Grassis from the Iaconellis.

#82 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,802 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:31

That sounds really impressive until you see that a certain rally driver is
almost 2 seconds quicker.. :eek:
Loeb, man WTF?! :up:

#83 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,902 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:47

Originally posted by Rob

I have to pinch myself when someone says it's only his fourth year - it doesn't seem remotely possible but it's completely true.

I must admit I've a huge soft spot for those drivers who started (relatively!) late. Damon Hill took 6 years from first racing to getting into F1, Taku 5 years. Maybe Bruno can go one better. Compared to those that started early he's not done too badly. Alonso, Kimi, Hamilton and Massa all had more than 10 years race experience behind them before they got an F1 race seat.

#84 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:19

Originally posted by Fortymark

That sounds really impressive until you see that a certain rally driver is
almost 2 seconds quicker.. :eek:
Loeb, man WTF?! :up:

Different car, etc, but Loeb was impressive anyway. :up:

#85 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:32

Senna is testing today, so far time of yesterday 1m24 343, marking 15th place does not justify times given to him? Sato out paced all.

#86 CDK

CDK

• 76 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 13:02

Common mn you cannot compare the shitty honda to the red bull..
Loeb was still amazing but don't assume senna should have been up there with loeb

#87 Bernd Rosemeyer

Bernd Rosemeyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 13:10

Originally posted by CDK

Perhaps, but two seconds is just impressive, it's more than between Vettel and Barrichello for example.

#88 CDK

CDK

• 76 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 13:14

Originally posted by Bernd Rosemeyer

Perhaps, but two seconds is just impressive, it's more than between Vettel and Barrichello for example.

True true, but i still don't think you can compare those two.. If they were in the same car and the diff was that much, i would be really impressed. But now..

#89 Bernd Rosemeyer

Bernd Rosemeyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 13:23

Originally posted by CDK

True true, but i still don't think you can compare those two.. If they were in the same car and the diff was that much, i would be really impressed. But now..

Another point is it is just testing, what do we know about fuel levels, soft tyres and so on ... :rolleyes:

#90 Raul

Raul

• 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 14:18

Originally posted by Bernd Rosemeyer

Another point is it is just testing, what do we know about fuel levels, soft tyres and so on ... :rolleyes:

Yeah, look at Di Grassi today, 1:22.492 vs. yesterday's 1:25.512.

And Bruno Senna himself said that yesterday the team just told the drivers to get used to the car.
According to him, because of that not even the seat and seat belts were perfectly adjusted to the pilots.

#91 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 14:21

To be honest, there are more deservings drivers out there than Senna
Although i would like to say, that in the future im sure he will be F1 material, just not yet.

Btw, Loeb, man jesus what the hell :up: :down:

#92 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 19:04

Originally posted by One
Senna is testing today, so far time of yesterday 1m24 343, marking 15th place does not justify times given to him? Sato out paced all.

Senna didnt test today.

Di Grassi did and was .5 sec slower than Button, which isnt bad at all.

#93 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 19:23

Originally posted by CDK
Loeb was still amazing but don't assume senna should have been up there with loeb

Wurz was almost 2,9 sec quicker than Senna in the same Honda...

#94 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 19:57

Originally posted by Motormedia
Wurz was almost 2,9 sec quicker than Senna in the same Honda...

When the equipmt was the same, Di Grassi was .2 sec faster than Wurz. Only when Wurz went out with low fuel and new slicks he posted that time.

#95 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 00:14

Originally posted by Raul

Yeah, look at Di Grassi today, 1:22.492 vs. yesterday's 1:25.512.

And Bruno Senna himself said that yesterday the team just told the drivers to get used to the car.
According to him, because of that not even the seat and seat belts were perfectly adjusted to the pilots.

Now where IS Vern Schuppan's book of racing driver excuses?

If Bruno had been at all impressive the team - as all teams - would have strapped him in and said "go for it!".

He is not his uncle I know, but the double standard evident just because he happens to be Senna's nephew is truly disgusting.

Just look at how relatively calm everyone has been over Vettel compared to Hamilton - just because he is called a "black driver". And in the a neutral car I would venture that Vettel would whup! dear Lewis.

Compared to Jacques Villeneuve who also finished 2nd and then won the championship in his first 2 f1 years, Hamilton is actually UNDERchieving.

#96 P1McLarenMercedes

P1McLarenMercedes

• 175 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 00:46

Compared to Jacques Villeneuve who also finished 2nd and then won the championship in his first 2 f1 years, Hamilton is actually UNDERchieving.

If losing the title by one point in your first year and then winning it in your second year is not good enough then im sorry.

#97 Arion

Arion

• 2,413 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:31

I'd love to see Bruno do well in F1, it will piss off a lot of people ;)

#98 Philzippy

Philzippy

• 187 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:19

And in the a neutral car I would venture that Vettel would whup! dear Lewis.

I think Vettel v Hamilton will be something to look forward to in the next few years. The changes we are seeing for next year should mean no more excuses for RBR. In just the same way that Lewis beat both drivers in the faster Ferrari - Vettel has shown that he too can push what he has beyond the high level that we see from the others.

Regarding Senna, I suspect Honda will go for him (over Di Grassi) because of the immediate PR boost it will bring. Having watched him race and finish the championship in 2nd last year, I am in no doubt that he has what it takes but I have a nagging feeling that Di Grassi will loose out no because of a lack of speed.

#99 rocketeer

rocketeer

• 111 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:19

I wonder what the state of Bruno's career would be if his last name had been 'smith'..

Advertisement

#100 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:27

Originally posted by rocketeer
I wonder what the state of Bruno's career would be if his last name had been 'smith'..

He would never have made the Indy 500...