Photo

Automobiles MP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,840 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 13:26

Marco Piccinini etablished a racing car company called Automobiles MP in the 70s. In 1974 they built a F3 car which was named MP301 and was driven at some events in Italian F3. But it was not very competitive.

Is there more information about this company, the MP301 and the racing activities of Marco Piccinini before he was manager at Ferrari?

Advertisement

#2 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,840 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:19

No one?

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 19:25

It's not mentioned in David Hodges' A_Z of Formula Racing Cars 1945-1990

#4 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:39

What I remember (only by memory :rolleyes: ) is that the Automobiles MP company was based in Monaco. At the time, Marco Piccinini's car was presented by magazine Autosprint as "the first Monegasque racing car".
In 1974 Carlo Giorgio (winner of the Italian F3 Championship in 1973) was hired to test the car, he did not qualify in the Monaco F3 GP, don't remember whether he participated in the Italian F3 Championship races. The car was white, the nose was similar to Lotus 72.

#5 sat

sat

• 347 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:14

What I remember (only by memory :rolleyes: ) is that the Automobiles MP company was based in Monaco. At the time, Marco Piccinini's car was presented by magazine Autosprint as "the first Monegasque racing car".
In 1974 Carlo Giorgio (winner of the Italian F3 Championship in 1973) was hired to test the car, he did not qualify in the Monaco F3 GP, don't remember whether he participated in the Italian F3 Championship races. The car was white, the nose was similar to Lotus 72.

He started in september races in Magione and Monza without success.

#6 Henk A. Hazelaar

Henk A. Hazelaar

• 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 16:52

Historyfan,

Separate you find an article from Auto Sprint, No. 21, 20-27 maggio 1974 on the MP F3.
Unfortunately my Italian is not so good that I can translate.
I'll looking in my old Autosprint magazines for more information.

Posted Image

Regards,

Henk A. Hazelaar

#7 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,840 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 17:19

Thank you!

While your Italian is not very good my Italian is not here :yawnface:
The Italian words I can speak I could count on one hand...

#8 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:35

The only part of the article about the MP301 is on the right side of the page.
This is an extract (not a full translation...;) )
- Carlo Giorgio, winner of the Italian F3 Championship in 1973, is waiting for the Holbay engineer before testing his new March 742 Formula 2 car. He is the first in the season to utilize the new Holbay's Ford-Cortina Formula 2 engine. In the meantime Carlo Giorgio is testing the Formula 3 MP with which he is entered in the Monaco F3 GP. He thinks that the car would be competitive, thanks to its plain and safe roadholding. At the moment the car has been modified in the nose, without wings and in the rear brake calipers, now Girling and not more Lockheed.

The rest of the article is not important for this thread... :)

Look at the wheels of the car and the rear wing! Think that Marco Piccinini is the bent man near Carlo Giorgio.

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 14 October 2009 - 12:39.

#9 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,840 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 13:00

:up: Thank you very much

#10 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:00

At the time Marco Piccinini was 22 year-old.
The name of the company was "Société Monégasque de Constructions Automobiles MP".

#11 The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

• 122 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:49

At the time Marco Piccinini was 22 year-old.
The name of the company was "Société Monégasque de Constructions Automobiles MP".

I remember having read somewhere that a Monaco-based Swiss named Manolo Veladini was strongly involved in that project. He sometimes appeared as the driver of the MP, but what was his other role in the team?