Photo

Neal-Davis Racing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eeyore48

eeyore48

• 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:08

Hi,all. Can anyone throw any light on the Neal-Davis racing team? It may have existed in the 60s or 70s and been involved in racing Triumphs. Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 RJE

RJE

• 122 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 18:49

I was with Neal Davis Racing between 1966 and 1970. They were based in Raglan Road, Plumstead in SE London, where the workshops were located. They also had a retail outlet in Sidcup in Kent. Their main occupation was the production of speed equipment such as multi carburettor kits, exhaust manifolds, modified cylinder heads along with anti roll and tramp bars etc. for everyday family cars. The workshops are now long gone and the site has become the venue for a large block of flats.

In the mid 60's they had run a Lola Mark 1 and then a Lotus 23 with Sid Fox. However they gave this up by late 1966 and concentrated on a Lotus Twin Cam engined Anglia most well known because it was left hand drive so that Fred Davis, the car's driver, could operate it with a damaged left arm. The Anglia was dark green with red and white central stripes. I fitted the car with a large clear plastic boot spoiler at one time which I seem to remember caused some consternation and I understand may have lead indirectly to a change in the regulations regarding saloon car racing. Neal Davis's racing activities concentrated on Brands Hatch although I seem to remember venturing up to Snetterton now and then.

I have no recollection of them ever getting involved with racing Triumphs. Not long after I left they moved from Plumstead to a place on the A20 in Lewisham and became a fast clutch replacement operation.

#3 eeyore48

eeyore48

• 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 19:04

Fantastic! Do you remember if steering wheels were offered for sale to the public or has my mate purchased an ex-racing car wheel?

#4 RJE

RJE

• 122 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:04

Both the shop in Sidcup and the small outlet at the workshops in Plumstead sold that sort of thing.

#5 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:30

Here are a couple of advertisements for the shop in Sidcup:

http://www.morris-mi...cing/4539615404

Plus some original documentation from Plumstead:

http://mk1-performan.../neal_davis.htm