Photo

Massa to become the least worthy World Champion in history?

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Poll: Massa to become the least worthy World Champion in history? (305 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes (146 votes [47.87%])

Percentage of vote: 47.87%

2. No (159 votes [52.13%])

Percentage of vote: 52.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,893 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:40

Just a little poll to see what peoples opinions are on this board.

With the clear FIA bias to install Ferrari and Massa as champions at whatever cost to the sports reputation and with the clearly questionable stewards decisions taking place like in today’s race and at Spa. If Massa wins this years championship on paper can anyone think of a more questionable championship being won in the sports history?

So the question is:-

If Massa wins this years Championship on paper will the merit of the WDC be damaged? Yes or No?

Advertisement

#2 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:43

haha, hahahahahahahahahaha. My God. So who is the only driver who deserves this WDC? I wonder who you think... hmmm... hmmmm.

#3 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 942 posts

Yes, I think so. Massa received six points by the FIA's ruling since Spa. I have the feelings those six points will decide this year's world championship. The only we can hope for is that Hamilton will become world champion next weekend.

#4 DiStefano

DiStefano

• 485 posts

More worthy than Lewis for sure
That said I'd rather see Kubica win it.

#5 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:44

In recent history i think that award goes to the 1996 winner.

Kubica and Alonso are the standouts this season, with Vettel coming good also.

Both Massa and Lewis have made too many large errors to be considered worthy i my opinion, their machines are more the heros.

#6 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:45

No-one has deserved their WDC for as long as I remember.... Lewis Hamilton 20x WDC, he's the true Champion huh.

#7 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,893 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:47

Originally posted by RedBaron
No-one has deserved their WDC for as long as I remember.... Lewis Hamilton 20x WDC, he's the true Champion huh.

I think the point I am making is that Lewis and Kubica (who I have money on since July to win) have both earned their points on the track unlike Massa who is being unfairly rewarded points in courts and stewards offices.

#8 Keith68

Keith68

• 246 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:52

The WDC and WCC are now damaged goods this year, just like the last 3 or 4 years are.

Once again the FIA have done their utmost to manuiplute results for their own ends, and both McLaren and Ferrari have both at times been favoured and punished by the most ludicrous of decisions.

Worthless WDC? Absolutely.

#9 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:03

What about giving back the points to Massa those he lost due to mechanical or team errors, not through his own fault? He would be ahead of Lewis even without Lewis' penalties. So would it make Lewis an unworthy WDC then?

#10 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:09

The only guys who would be really worthy champions this season are Kubica & Alonso.

Kimi wouldn't be because of his very poor qualy form; Lewis and Felipe both made huge amount of stupid mistakes while other champions in the past used to do 1 or 2. Potential worthy champions are definately not driving for Ferrari or McLaren this year.

#11 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:12

Massa has been handed a total of 8 points now by the FIA. This was produced by 3 corrupted rulings, two of them after races were over.

But Massa wont be the most unworthy WDC ever, because he'll never be WDC in the first place. He is just full of failsauce.

#12 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:15

Originally posted by Hippo
Massa has been handed a total of 8 points now by the FIA. This was produced by 3 corrupted rulings, two of them after races were over.

But Massa wont be the most unworthy WDC ever, because he'll never be WDC in the first place. He is just full of failsauce.

Massa has also lost a total of 20 points (at least, relative to Lewis that is more) due to mechanical and team errors.

#13 BunnyK

BunnyK

• 444 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:26

Wether it is Massa or Hamilton who win the title it will be one of the most undeserving... I would like to know when did the two leading drivers in the championship got so few points having gone 16 races!!!

I just wish some miracle happens and Kubica gets it :(

#14 Coma

Coma

• 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:27

This years wc winner will be the equivalent of the 97 champion. Mistake riddled and flattered by great cars.

#15 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 511 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:37

The only person who deserves it is ME!!! :clap: for putting up with this crap!!

#16 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:38

Give it to Hamilton's dad...he deserves it more than his son.

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:41

Has this board gone crazy? If the driver who wins the most races can't be described as one among several worthy candidates for the Championship, there's something really wrong.

The WDC has never simply been a matter of the driver who puts in the best performances. And ultimately, it's the drivers who do that, and not necessarily the ones who pick up the titles, who are remembered once all's done. Sport belongs to its fans and competitors, after all, not the rulebooks.

#18 jesee

jesee

• 1,906 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:41

Originally posted by Galko877

Massa has also lost a total of 20 points (at least, relative to Lewis that is more) due to mechanical and team errors.

So you think then he deserves to get them back on a platter by uncle max :down: :down: I used to like the guy but he can never accept his mistakes. He is quoted as saying he didn't deserve the penalty because his was a racing incident and hamilton at the start was deserved :down: :down: The guy needs to just shut the **** up and wait to collect his WDC.

Anyway we saw that justice always comes back and i think he will never win WDC, never mark my words.

#19 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:44

No driver this year in contention has shined and the entire championship is undermined when the best driver in the field, ALO, is not able to fight all year long.

ALO is the only driver that does not have a track weakness.

Just as last year the Mclaren mismanagement and failure under pressure by HAM allowed RAI to win, so this year will the Ferrari team be in the same position unless HAM once again folds under pressure.

Advertisement

#20 derstatic

derstatic

• 714 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:45

I think neither man will be a "worthy" champion, whatever that means. Both have made way to many mistakes and stupid moves this season. If the title would go to the driver who would "deserve" it the most by consistantly great perfomances it would be a tough call between Kubica and Alonso IMO. Both men have performed very well, unfortunately in inferior equipment.

#21 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 511 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:45

Originally posted by jesee

So you think then he deserves to get them back on a platter by uncle max :down: :down: I used to like the guy but he can never accept his mistakes. He is quoted as saying he didn't deserve the penalty because his was a racing incident and hamilton at the start was deserved :down: :down: The guy needs to just shut the **** up and wait to collect his WDC.

Anyway we saw that justice always comes back and i think he will never win WDC, never mark my words.

Yeah and Hamilton accepts all his mistakes and even goes to church for confession so that his mortal soul doesnt burn in hell .

#22 MonzaOne

MonzaOne

• 318 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:50

Originally posted by Coma
This years wc winner will be the equivalent of the 97 champion. Mistake riddled and flattered by great cars.

I disagree. I remember that championship very well because I supported Damon Hill - definitely the driver that exhibited great character compared to Senna or Schumi - and Jacques Villeneuve WON that championship in his second year in f1 and won more races and took most of the pole positions.

JV's record clearly trump's HAM's if he wins in 2008.

Put VET in the Mclaren and I venture he would beat HAM.

#23 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:53

It is extremely unlikely that Felipe can win the WDC now.

But even if he wins (Two DNFs from Lewis? :confused: ) I do not think he would be unworthy. Not any more than Kimi last year. Massa has had his moments like Silverstone etc but he has also lost at least 20 points recently (Hungary and Singapore) for no fault of his own.

#24 osj

osj

• 137 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:54

Pathetic thread.

Even the question is incomprehensible. Does a 'NO' answer mean:

(1) Massa isn't going to win the championship, but if he did, he would be the least worthy World Champion in history, or,

(2) If Massa wins the championship, he would not be the least worthy World Champion in history.

I don't know why people go through the trouble of creating polls, when they are obviously not interested in the outcome but are simply trying to make their own point.

#25 z2z

z2z

• 295 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:00

NO :rotfl:

If yes then it should same with Hamilton too.

#26 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:03

Originally posted by primer
It is extremely unlikely that Felipe can win the WDC now.

But even if he wins (Two DNFs from Lewis? :confused: )

Massa doesn't need two DNFs from Lewis to win the title, it's a LOT closer than that...

#27 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:06

Although I am not a Ferrari fan as such I do think that if Massa does become the WDC then it will not be mainly because of the FIA but because of how he has driven and how others have driven.

I think a more accurate description that none of the top challengers from Ferrari or McLaren this year have had a sparkling season one way or another.

But someone has got to win it!

Regards

Andy

#28 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:14

The least worthy WDC ever was Ayrton Senna in 1990 and because of what happened then the WDC title is tainted ever since.

That said, somebody -like Massa today- who doesn't have the guts to acknowledge that he's completely wrong in ramming another car doesn't deserve the title, whatever happens.

#29 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 1,073 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:30

Originally posted by EvilPhil II

With the clear FIA bias to install Ferrari and Massa as champions at whatever cost to the sports reputation and with the clearly questionable stewards decisions taking place like in today’s race and at Spa. If Massa wins this years championship on paper can anyone think of a more questionable championship being won in the sports history?

If Massa wins this years Championship on paper will the merit of the WDC be damaged? Yes or No?

:rolleyes:

#30 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:37

What a stupid thread.................

Massa is a top class driver, and is a lot quicker than many give him credit for; it's not his fault that the FIA keep adjusting the rules to favour Ferrari - OK, he makes some unfortunate comments, but then, don't we all.

#31 Chicken McNuggets

Chicken McNuggets

• 828 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:53

He would be a worthy champion by virtue of winning the championship. It's a bit fruitless debating. Ferrari or no Ferrari, if he amasses the most points then I'd call him worthy in much the same way as Hamilton would be. The sport is about car, driver team partnerships after all, not just the one entity.

Massa and Hamilton, overall, have been as close competitively so far this year anyway as the points suggest (although Hamilton is still learning how to be more efficient with his own talent, evidently).

There have been title fights just like this before -- '97, '99 and perhaps '03 all come to mind with regard to F1.

#32 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 13:13

sorry, but whenever I think of least deserving WDC, I always come back to the one-win season of Keke Rosberg. :lol:

#33 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 13:27

You damage the merit of this BB.

#34 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 13:30

Massa deserves it more then Hamilton seeing as he had to fight his teammate for the chance first and after years of hard graft in uncompetative cars and taking a back seat to MS to learn from him first.

Hamilton can keep his golden spoon and man love with Ron.

#35 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 13:30

:lol: You damage the merit of the BB.

#36 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 13:48

Originally posted by Italiano Tifoso

What a bs! :down: :rolleyes:

Massa is complete nobody in comparison with Damon, especially in his maginificent 1996 campaign.

I guess you are still in high school and barely could speak in 1996 because of infancy.

#37 Coma

Coma

• 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 13:56

After qualifying I said this was the big test for massa to prove himself, to see what he can do from the pack and today we saw it. Got scared and out braked himself the moment Hamilton got in his mirrors, then decided to just ram him off , in a no hope move getting himseld a drive through. Finally to cap it off he brainlessly drives into bourdaris like he wasnt even there and spins again. He definately proved himself, as someone lacking race craft and sill being the driver he always was. He just manages to hide it when he starts from pole and doesnt actually have to race anyone.

#38 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:09

Massa would be a worthy champion, for sure. Kubica more, of course, as he is in a BMW. But Massa has been unlucky with times when his performance on track deserved 10 points and he got none.

#39 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:23

Originally posted by F1 Tor.
sorry, but whenever I think of least deserving WDC, I always come back to the one-win season of Keke Rosberg. :lol:

Do you have any idea how impressive Keke's performances were that year? His qualifying performances, like going 1-1.5s quicker than the nearest non-turbo at power circuits like Monza or Zeltweg, were amazing. As was out-qualifying his teammate, Carlos Reutemann, in his first race for Williams, or indeed in any competitive F1 chassis. Anyway, but for his car refusing to fire up on the grid at Brands, he'd have won as many races as anyone that year, and if not for a somewhat ridiculous disqualification in Brazil, he'd have won the title by a mile.

Advertisement

#40 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:26

This year we have one of the craziest WDC's at hand, people whine. When there is a season like 2002 or 2004, many whine because there is no competition. I think F1 biggest problem are some fickle fans.

Massa has one victory more than Hamilton at this point. If they both get no points anymore til the end of the season (and Kubica doesn't get more than 12 points), Hamilton wins it despite not having most wins. That's hardly convincing either, but he would have earned the championship. Now if Hamilton doesn't score anymore, and Massa gains enough points, having most wins and winning the WDC would be unworthy how?

Originally posted by MonzaOne
No driver this year in contention has shined and the entire championship is undermined when the best driver in the field, ALO, is not able to fight all year long.

ALO is the only driver that does not have a track weakness.

Just as last year the Mclaren mismanagement and failure under pressure by HAM allowed RAI to win, so this year will the Ferrari team be in the same position unless HAM once again folds under pressure.

Sorry Alonso made some silly mistakes earlier in the season.

#41 GiancarloF1

GiancarloF1

• 925 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:27

No, that award goes to Raikkonen from 2007.

#42 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:43

Originally posted by GiancarloF1
No, that award goes to Raikkonen from 2007.

6 victories versus 4 from Alonso and Hamilton suggest otherwise.

#43 snx843

snx843

• 855 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:12

I think WDC is tarnished beyond all value, whoever wins it.

Why? Penalties messing with results.

#44 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:28

Originally posted by Cenotaph
Massa would be a worthy champion, for sure. Kubica more, of course, as he is in a BMW. But Massa has been unlucky with times when his performance on track deserved 10 points and he got none.

The only time that happened this year was Hungary - but given the points he was gifted at Spa, and today, and avoiding a proper penalty at Valencia he has more than made up for that.

The only way he could win was with outside assistance.

Being given a title is a farce - earning it makes it worthy - and he hasn`t earned a title.

#45 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:31

I think massa does not deserve the wdc PURELY on his performance at silverstone. He can dominate some races, but that was not a good enough performance. 1 spin ok, unlucky. 2, maybe pushing a little too hard. 5..... not good enough.

#46 brunopascal

brunopascal

• 1,526 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:33

Both Massa and Lewis have made too many large errors to be considered worthy i my opinion, their machines are more the heros.

Agree completely! :up:

#47 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:36

Originally posted by Blythy
I think massa does not deserve the wdc PURELY on his performance at silverstone. He can dominate some races, but that was not a good enough performance. 1 spin ok, unlucky. 2, maybe pushing a little too hard. 5..... not good enough.

Alonso went off 4 times in the same corner in Canada 2007. Does that mean he isn't good enough either?

#48 Deeq

Deeq

• 9,503 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:38

why oh why the FiA doesn't award the titles on bb partisanship/popularity/vote instead of points? current hotshots fans demand incessantly.. :D
oh well I am off to idol or its cousin ms universe..sniff snif :cry:

Originally posted by Galko877

Alonso went off 4 times in the same corner in Canada 2007. Does that mean he isn't good enough either?

how dare you invoke pre historic events on this whine-o-fest..unfair :mad:

#49 SCHUEYFAN

SCHUEYFAN

• 500 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:38

There is no option to vote for the poster is a moron, and Massa deserves the championship a lot more than Hamilton does. Hami was lucky today he didn't wipe out 5 cars at the start. That would have been nice, maybe he would have got a one race ban for dangerous driving.

#50 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:43

I agree :up: (sorry Damon)
about the 1996 winner
And Lewis or Felipe... both are super-quick, talented, charismatic,... maybe Lewis has a bit more talent ..(if you see his career history) but just as the brazilian ... he makes too often stupid mistakes in points-thinking-methodes.
If Lewis was more patient he maybe was already champion... but that his age I guess... :