Valtteri Bottas

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Pikku Pakkanen

Pikku Pakkanen

• 732 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:51

http://www.driverdb....rs/4092/career/

This guy is even more convincing than Kimi Räikkönen was in Formula Renault.

This year in Northern European Championship: 14 races. 12 wins. 13 pole positions. 12 fastest laps.

He also won the whole European Championship.

In the Winter Cup (4 races) he won the first 3 and was second in the last race because he had to use old tyres.

His biggest strength is said to be his total calmness under pressure. A true Finn. :)

At this stage Kimi was already signed by Sauber. Which F1 team grabs Valtteri Bottas first?

Advertisement

#2 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 13:07

Hey this is great. You Finns will have another hero to worship after Kimi retires :up: . Maybe this guy won't bellyflop like Heikki ;)

#3 Pikku Pakkanen

Pikku Pakkanen

• 732 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 13:21

Originally posted by Lazarus II
Hey this is great. You Finns will have another hero to worship after Kimi retires :up: . Maybe this guy won't bellyflop like Heikki ;)

Well, Heikki is from Kainuu. Those people are far too lively and emotional. :)

#4 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 13:59

He seemed in a interview i saw so calm and focused :up: Another nationalhero for us :clap:

#5 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:13

Aren't we a bit ahead of our time here? And what's the "Northern European Championship" -series anyway? Räikkönen did win British Formula Renault winter series and the regular one convincingly.

#6 Pikku Pakkanen

Pikku Pakkanen

• 732 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 14:57

Originally posted by TT6
Aren't we a bit ahead of our time here? And what's the "Northern European Championship" -series anyway? Räikkönen did win British Formula Renault winter series and the regular one convincingly.

NEC is the union of many previous country championships including Germany, Netherlands and Belgium.

As I said, Valtteri is even more convincing than Kimi. Like Kimi, he also dominated the British winter series and won both the Northern European Championship and the Eurocup where the best from all regional championships are racing. Kimi only won the British championship and 2 races in the Eurocup.

http://en.wikipedia....ula_Renault_2.0

Since last winter Valtteri has had 32 Formula Renault races all over Europe and he has won 20 of them!

#7 SpamJet

SpamJet

• 801 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 15:31

56% win rate for kimi and 62.5% for Valtteri, it better but not light years ahead.

#8 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 17:38

As far as I know, there's bucket load of young Finnish drivers that might end-up in F1.

http://www.driverdb....ings/1509-2008/ I saw Aarno in morning-tv some days ago and it was mentioned that neither Kimi or Heikki managed to win European KF3 title.

#9 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:29

Where he will race in 2009?

#10 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 18:26

OK, I found myself. He signed with ART to drive in F3 Euroseries :)

#11 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,907 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:29

Originally posted by barteks
OK, I found myself. He signed with ART to drive in F3 Euroseries :)

Which he might very well win, then. If not in '09 then certainly in '10. And off to GP2 after that. :cool:

#12 FW09

FW09

• 318 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 00:29

Congratulations, Vale!

GP3 Champion

#13 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 302 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 00:33

I somewhat follow GP3, and what a second half of the season for Valtteri! Great job, hope to see him in F1 before too long.

#14 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:21

That was a drive of a champion. :up: When the pressure is on you drive race of the season. Hope to see him in F1 to once again bring finns to the sharp end of the grid.

#15 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:29

Congrats Vale!

I´ve been told by some motor sporting insiders that he is the most talented driver ever from Finland. Including all former F1-pilots. If so, maybe the future isn`t that dark for us :drunk:

#16 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:48

But it's true for all nations, now that Hamilton is doing Beckham (PR over sport) and Button is boring and not that fast Brits also need a new hero. I say bring back Ant Davidson - he never got a real chance to shine.

;)

#17 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:58

I don't know much about him - is he likely to find a seat for 2012 or 2013?

#18 Weekend-at-Bernies

Weekend-at-Bernies

• 83 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:36

I don't know much about him - is he likely to find a seat for 2012 or 2013?

GP2 with Lotus Art would be the obvious guess, but F1 in 2012? No

#19 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:17

GP2 with Lotus Art would be the obvious guess, but F1 in 2012? No

2013 is an option though, test driver for williams at the mo and if Rubens retires at the end of next season and he does well in GP2 next year who knows!

Advertisement

#20 CrashPad

CrashPad

• 475 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:25

Bottas himself believes he will drive in GP2 or Formula Renault 3.5, but he would of course want a seat in F1.
Personally I think he could do quite well in F1 already next year if given the chance.
Problem is, Williams needs Maldonados money and Maldonado/Bottas pairing is far too inexperienced, so I don't see a place for him at Williams just yet.

#21 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:40

Eh? Winning the Gp3 title was basically the last chance saloon of his reputation, and now you think he's ready for an F1 ride?

#22 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:23

Eh? Winning the Gp3 title was basically the last chance saloon of his reputation, and now you think he's ready for an F1 ride?

Well, perhaps for someone who doesn't really understand what happened in F3, yes, I guess so.

He lost his chance to win in F3 simply by having the wrong engine.

Edited by Anssi, 11 September 2011 - 12:24.

#23 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 18:03

Ross Stonefeld, haters gonna hate... He is a future star ;)

#24 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:09

Mika Salo says he believes Bottas will replace Senna soon (after having spoken to FW)

Clearly Bottas can get more out of the car than Senna can... as shown during FP

Edited by glorius&victorius, 13 May 2012 - 20:11.

#25 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 00:22

Bottas deserves a race seat, definitely. If not this season, then the next at the very least.

#26 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 00:34

He should replace Senna ASAP!

#27 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:56

Mika Salo says he believes Bottas will replace Senna soon (after having spoken to FW)

Clearly Bottas can get more out of the car than Senna can... as shown during FP

I look forward to seeing what he can achieve in a Williams Renault that looks quite handy. Another new face is always good, give him a chance on a race by race basis. I expect he will replace Senna at some point this season as Bruno looks well out of his league.

#28 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:05

I would also suspect that the race win would relief some of their financial burden making Bottas getting to race more likely.

Or hey, Ferrari, why not hire a Finn to your team to replace mr2points? I'm sure you have money to buy out his contract.

Edited by Wander, 14 May 2012 - 02:07.

#29 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:39

I look forward to seeing what he can achieve in a Williams Renault that looks quite handy. Another new face is always good, give him a chance on a race by race basis. I expect he will replace Senna at some point this season as Bruno looks well out of his league.

Why, because of one race?

Just forget Bruno's performances in Malaysia and China. Yes he had a weekend to forget, and it was unfortunate for him that it came the weekend his teammate took his teams first win in 8 years.

Then again that seems to be the way this forum works. Sweeping changes on the basis of one race result. Some people in this forum would make Andrea Sassetti look like Ross Brawn.

#30 PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE

• 1,108 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:54

Been following through the ranks and think he is very talented.

Was happy to hear that the Williams team are raving about him so it looks promising for Bottas, hopefully sooner rather than later.

#31 aray

aray

• 5,779 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:13

bottas seem very talented,but bruno is not doing that bad and it is too early for the season to judge him...i think best way is bottas going on doing friday practice run for this year and then taking senna's place next year...

#32 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 495 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 14:32

Valtteri Bottas testing the 1992 Williams FW14B:

Cool how the active suspension lowers the car just before it starts moving.

#33 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 17:40

Damn, is there going to be a part 3?

#34 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:51

I like this guy, very talented and looks like he is going to be a future star. Already a fan.

#35 adam1312

adam1312

• 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:33

should get a race seat but also think bruno is a good driver

#36 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:07

Couldn't see this posted anywhere. It's an interesting read, as Bottas talks about how young drivers should get more testing. I agree that there should be more testing for both F1 and young drivers. But I have little sympathy when he talks about the lack of driving he's had this year, as he skipped GP2 or WSR and knew he'd be driving far less.

#37 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:37

should get a race seat but also think bruno is a good driver

Does Valtteri bring money to the team? I think Bruno does, and that might decide the issue.

The piece that Joe Saward wrote is rather illumining in that context.

#38 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:44

Does Valtteri bring money to the team? I think Bruno does, and that might decide the issue.

Yes, he does. Not as much as Senna of course. But he has some personal sponsors like Wipak, Wihuri and Kemppi and is reportedly chasing for more to get an F1 seat for next year.

#39 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:46

I think Williams will try to place Bottas in HRT for a season, Ricciardo style

Advertisement

#40 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:52

I'm not sure why people keep on suggesting Williams to buy a seat on HRT for Bottas. What's the point, that is going to cost a lot and almost offset Senna's dollars. Might as well not have a 2nd paydriver in Senna and give Bottas a proper season. He'd be much better trained that way and it's not like if it goes wrong they'd miss a lot of points from Senna.

#41 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:57

I'm not sure why people keep on suggesting Williams to buy a seat on HRT for Bottas. What's the point, that is going to cost a lot and almost offset Senna's dollars. Might as well not have a 2nd paydriver in Senna and give Bottas a proper season. He'd be much better trained that way and it's not like if it goes wrong they'd miss a lot of points from Senna.

Senna brings in around 10m, a seat in HRT doesn't cost 10m. Maybe 1/4th of that. Plus you have to factor in the cost of running a guy with very limited mileage in the thick of midfield action, in a tail-end team he can pretty much gain mileage risk free.

#42 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,030 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:59

They wouldn't have given him 15 (right?) practice sessions it it wasn't because they want to give him a race seat.

#43 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:03

Good post, I was wondering about this too. :up:

I can't see any point of sending Bottas to HRT. He isn't going to score much less points than Bruno, so what is the point of wasting money for sending him there?

Some people were suggesting that Williams would send Hulk to HRT for 2011 as well. Perhaps they read from the gearbox deal too much. HRT is not a junior team for Williams and they have no point of signing Bottas for 1 year, as Williams have no point in getting a place for Bottas instead of money for the gearboxes.

#44 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:08

Senna brings in around 10m, a seat in HRT doesn't cost 10m. Maybe 1/4th of that. Plus you have to factor in the cost of running a guy with very limited mileage in the thick of midfield action, in a tail-end team he can pretty much gain mileage risk free.

AFAIK Kartikheyan brings (or brought for the 2011) $7 millions for the seat at HRT. I doubt you can find a place for less than $5 million at any team in F1 if this team don't want to hire you on merit. Signing young talented rookie just for 1 year doesn't help for a backmarker team that much that they would be prone to lower the price for the seat IMO. They are clearly looking for Spanish drivers which Bottas isn't

#45 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:09

A Williams seat will cost more than a HRT seat but I'm not sure it's that much cheaper. Plenty of drivers are desperate to get into F1 and Karthikeyan certainly had to outbid a few.

Bottas isn't particularly crash happy, and lack of experience won't make him hugely more so, they already have the king of crashes in a far more experienced Maldonado. I also think Williams expect him to be quicker than Senna. Williams have lost a ton of points this season with Maldonado's crashes and Senna's slowness, and would be very eager to try someone else in the car, it's logical. Even if they lose paydriver money, they still have the prospect of more prize money.

#46 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,022 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:52

Williams should get Alguersuari to replace Senna, it was rumoured he had put an sponsorship package together and of course he knows next year's tyres.

Loan Bottas to HRT in exchange of free gearboxes and KERS.

Edited by Francesc, 18 October 2012 - 11:53.

#47 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:00

I will ask once again: what's the point of having a seat for Bottas instead of money for gearboxes and KERS? It's strange that you expect Williams to refuse the money from HRT and at the same time to have two drivers with large financial backing in racing seats.

If Bottas is good enough, then go for him. He is able to bring a bit of sponsorship too, so getting him is not that much worse option for a budget than having Senna/Alguersuari but buying Bottas a seat elsewhere. If he is not good enough then it's no point of wasting money to buy him a seat at other team..

#48 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:19

Williams should get Alguersuari to replace Senna, it was rumoured he had put an sponsorship package together and of course he knows next year's tyres.

Wow... I hope you're kidding... Alguersuari. :rotfl:

#49 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:24

Wow... I hope you're kidding... Alguersuari. :rotfl:

Err, why so funny? :confused:

#50 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 19:05

Err, why so funny? :confused:

He screwed his chance at Toro Rosso. What does he even have to offer? Besides if they did that, Williams would lose Valtteri. No way he would be another season without driving.