• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 21:07

Gary-Vicki2.jpg
Gary and his Lovely wife Vicki Knutson

I am going to tell the forum members a story about an old friend of mine. He was the engine builder in the day for some teams you may have heard of.
Chaparral, McLaren and Carl Haas racing to name a few who used his engines.

When I was at Mosport Canada this summer for the CanAm Reunion, Wally Willmott said to me that the one person he would love to talk to would be Gary Knutson. We tried to reach him while Wally was at Mosport helping Jay Esterer run his McLaren, and we didn't connect. So I would have to say that Bruce McLaren's original mechanic and first employee of McLaren Racing is the one who I am doing this site for.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 March 2020 - 16:57.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 21:19

Ooh - like McLaren's 3-litre version of the 4-cam Indy Ford?

DCN

#3 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 21:23

gary-and-jim-1.jpg
Midland Texas in 1964 Gary Knutson and Hap Sharp and Jim Hall
The fellow you can barely see at the front of the picture is Dick Hall he is Jim Hall's older brother.

Doug: That is where I first meet Gary. He and Wally Willmott and Howden Ganley were at Traco in Culver City working trying to make that boat anchor into a Formula One engine. Tyler Alexander was also there. Bruce McLaren would also pop in to see how things were going. Colin Beanland and Teddy Mayer also came around.

photo lent site Gary Knutson collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 March 2020 - 17:45.

#4 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 21:41

jim-and-wally.jpg
Jim Hall and Wally Willmott in Nassau in 1964

Wally Willmott is the one I am doing this site for.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 March 2020 - 23:30.

#5 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 19:07

lotus1gofg1.jpg
Gary Knutson on left and Jerry Mallett next to him.
Gary Knutson and Jerry Mallett's Lotus 11 that they purchased from Jim Hall.

This area was called "Garden of the Gods" and it was in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

photo Loyde Knutson

photos Gary Knutson collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 18:02.

#6 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:04

Lotus-11-2-2.png
Gary Knutson behind this Lotus 11

This car was owned by someone from Fort Worth, Texas. It is believed to be #1159
Paul Epperson is the current owner of this car. He was wondering if anyone knew of the history of this car prior to 1970, This picture is believed to be Eagle Mountain in around 1959.

Gary Knutson started out messing with Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engines and Whizzer motor bike motors. He then helped his friend Doug Cimino put an Ardun head on a flat head Ford engine and put that in his 5 windowed 32 Ford. They used this car for drag racing and hill climbing.

Gary Knutson lived in Colorado Springs, Colorado and his mother was a school teacher and his father was a photographer. Gary was born in 1937.

chuck-hall-vette-2.jpg

Chuck Hall's Corvette that Gary Knutson helped him with.

Gary Knutson meet Chuck Hall, who was Jim Hall's younger brother. Chuck Hall was going to school in Colorado. Chuck Hall had a Corvette and Gary Knutson helped him with the preparation of the Corvette. We "prepared" it (see my name on the side) and Chuck qualified second and finished third in the 1958 Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

After running at Pikes Peak, Gary Knutson bought all the missing parts at the local Chevrolet dealer and put it back to stock.

Gary Knutson drove to Phoenix from Colorado Springs in his '57 Vette (with factory fuel injection) and his good friend (and soon to be partner) Jerry Mallett came with him. They went to see a sports car race. Jim Hall was racing his Lotus 11 with a 1500cc Climax. That's when Gary Knutson and Jerry Mallett discovered Lotus 11's. They hadn't seen a sports car race prior to that and were immediately hooked. Gary and Jerry decided they wanted to try sportscar racing and Chuck Hall said his brother Jim Hall had a Lotus 11 that was for sale. Gary and Jerry went to Dallas to get the car. Gary also meet Carroll Shelby at this time.

photo lent site Gary Knutson collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 17:58.

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:51

1159 wouldn't have been a Lotus Eleven number, and nor would 11 #59. They started at 150
(And 159 was in the UK at this time)

#8 Lotus11Register

Lotus11Register

• 116 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 18:27

The number 1159 in Jerry's post is simply a misunderstanding. It is part of the filename of the photo, possibly a date. This car's identity is currently being researched. It was an S-2 LeMans with FWA, alloy wheels, and a few distinctive touches on the bodywork. Does anyone recognize it or know who might have driven car #116?

#9 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 18:35

Gary-with-cars.jpg
Frank Lance and Gary Knutson and Foy Barrett
Jim Hall's Racing stable in 1960
This is in front of the Greenville Avenue shop the Lotus 18, and the 570S Maserati and Birdcage Maserati.

David: It probably was taken in November of 1959. My mistake.
As Jay Sloane has said on the picture it said 1159 and I assumed that was the id#. I was wrong.

above photo Bob Jackson - Willem Oosthoek collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 March 2020 - 16:43.

#10 Mirage

Mirage

• 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 19:19

Gary Knutson and Howden Ganley built the Ford GT40 X-1 car at McLaren Racing in 1965. The target was to make it 1000lbs lighter than the Mk 2's that ran at Le Mans, weighing almost 2900lbs. The X-1 apparently came in at 1950 lbs. They ran it at Mosport and Riverside, with Chris Amon driving and then Gary left the project to go and start the conversion of the Ford Indy V8 from a 4.2 litre to a 3 litre. Look at Page 44 of Ronnie Spain's book "GT40". There is a picture of Gary and Howden with the X-1 car - and Teddy Mayer behind. Howden stayed with the X-1 on the automatic transmission development program, and Wally Willmott stayed with the McLaren M1B sports car, and then they all got together again at Traco a couple of months later as well as for the first test of the F1 engine in the car at Riverside.

Gary later returned to Chaparral, where he had worked previously, but eventually rejoined McLaren, and ran the engine division in Detroit. Roger Bailey also worked there. Lots of people who have worked with Gary talk about what a brilliant engineer he is.

#11 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 20:17

gary-engine.jpg
Gary Knutson at Traco during the Indy Ford F-1 program

Mirage:
Not only was Gary Knutson brilliant. He was lots of fun and a "get it done" kind of guy. I asked Gary would he name a mentor in his engine working ability and he just said that , they kept trying different solutions to different problems and things just came right. He told me when he told the Lucas people he was going to put a Lucas fuel injection system on a Chevy, they told him it would never work.

Howden Ganley was in Southern California for the funeral of Phil Hill and the following is from Howden:

" I drove down to Culver City to see if the Traco building was still there. Almost everything else is gone, including the Hughes Aircraft Co airfield BUT Traco and Jim Nairn's,and Helen's cafe are still standing. While I was outside taking photos a guy came out of the old Traco building, so I started talking to him I told him about the history of the building. He invited me inside to see what its like now. It is a recording studio with a stage , seating, and lots of psychedelic colours . I took photos in there as well from just about where Gary is standing."

Howden Ganley

photo Gary Knutson collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 March 2020 - 19:07.

#12 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 23:20

WWilmott-1-2.jpg
Wally Willmott working on Indy Ford engine
Four Cam Ford F1-engine

Gary Kutson's thoughts on this engine:

"Another unsuccessful attempt at a racing engine. Didn't seem like a good idea at the time but was the only thing available

Bruce-and-indy-ford.jpg

Indy 4 cam in McLaren Formula One effort

photos Gary Knutson collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 12:20.

#13 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 23:36

Jerry - Great offerings, as usual. Thanks.

Brian

#14 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 23:50

franz-chap.jpg
Franz Weis in Chaparral and Mark Donohue in Lola T-70

Brian: As they say "you have seen nothing yet".

Edited by Jerry Entin, 26 March 2020 - 00:20.

#15 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 00:49

Gary-and-Howden-Ed.jpg
Big Ed

That is what the McLaren shop called the GT40 project to be driven by Chris Amon. Gary Knutson got the assignment of turning this porker into a lean race car
photo Gary Knutson

biged.jpg
Big Ed#15 in action at Mosport Canada in 1965, Chris Amon driving.
Also in the picture are Pedro Rodriguez in #10 Ferrari 365P2 and Charlie Hayes in McLaren Mk 1 #97. Big Ed was AKA the Ford GTX. The crew at Mosport was Howden Ganley and Gary Knutson.

Howden Ganley has a good story about Gary Knutson driving the car on the trailer out to the track. I am afraid I can't tell it here. Howden is telling it in his book.
Incidentally Phil Hill drove Big Ed at Riverside a few days prior to the race.

photo Dave Friedman 

Edited by Jerry Entin, 27 March 2020 - 01:54.

#16 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:03

Mc-Laren-and-teddy.jpg
Colin Beanland on left, Bruce McLaren and Teddy Mayer
working on the car Wally Willmott and Tyler Alexander.

photo Gary Knutson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 15:05.

#17 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 19:42

KarlK.jpg
Fellow Chaparral employee Karl hienz Schmid
Karl was Franz Weis's brother in law.

photo Gary Knutson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 14:56.

#18 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 20:08

Mc-Laren-movie.jpg
From the top: Chris Amon, Bruce Harre, Sir Jack Brabham, the Director Barrie Osborne, Michael Garlick, Emerson Fittipaldi,
Front row: Amanda McLaren Donnell, Patty McLaren, Eoin Young, Anita Hulme, Denis Hulme’s sister and Wally Willmott.

This gathering was for the announcement of the Bruce McLaren Feature movie.

photo Agnes Carlier

Edited by Jerry Entin, 22 March 2020 - 23:57.

#19 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 21:47

Chuck-Hall-Pike-s-Peak-58.jpg
Chuck Hall's Corvette at Pikes Peak

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 18:36.

Advertisement

#20 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:50

Tim-Mayer-600-x-421.jpg
Tim Mayer and Donn Allen and just out of sight Tyler Alexander

Tim Mayer was the very talented brother of Teddy Mayer. He was Bruce McLaren's teammate in the Tasman series in 1964. He was sadly lost at Longford, Circuit during the Tasman series.

This comes from Gary Knutson:

"The guy next to Timmy Mayer is Donn Allen who was a Chaparral mechanic/fabricator. Real talented. Don't know whatever happened to him. "

photo Gary Knutson collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 27 March 2020 - 22:23.

#21 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:00

Garril-Mayer.jpg
Garril Mayer
Garril Mayer was Tim Mayer's Lovely wife.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 March 2020 - 23:37.

#22 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 18:33

As always......Great pictures Jerry!!

And great stories too!!

Thanks!!!!

Rob

#23 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:33

gary-s-babys.jpg
They are called Goffin's Cockatoo
Clarke is an Umbrella Cockatoo, Clarke is a lover boy.

Rob: Glad you are enjoying seeing Gary Knutson's photos of his Racing experiences and the people he worked with. There will be plenty more to come.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 29 March 2020 - 10:44.

#24 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 13:58

Lotus1159-H-2.jpg
Jerry Mallett, Gary Knutson's school mate and racing buddy.
Jerry Mallett is now a Salida, Colorado- County Commisioner.

Jerry Mallett was Gary Knutson's partner in the Lotus 11.
Here is what Jerry Mallett says about Gary Knutson in the day:

"There was no question that Gary had an unique talent when it came to engines. He was able to look one over and be able to do a tear down and rebuild with very little manual support. I've enclosed photos of the 3 liter Ferrari and the OSCA. It came with a 2 liter and Knutson knew he could make it run faster. A FI Chevy with a Paxton supercharger did up the horsepower. It was like driving a muscle car on ice. Everyone told Gary "you cannot supercharge a vacuum FI system."

When we ran the Lotus 11, both of us worked two jobs each to pay for the thing, but we would roll out of Colorado Springs on Friday night around 7 PM and drive all night to Salt Lake City, Utah or New Mexico, or Texas. The first race was in Dallas, Texas and after the all night drive, a shower and a cup of coffee, we really thought we were in the big leagues. Around 8 AM a trailer showed up with four (4) Ferraris. It was a long day."

above recollections by Jerry Mallett.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 23 March 2020 - 00:22.

#25 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 14:05

Posted Image
Ike Smith and Wally Willmott and Jerry Entin
This is from the summer of 2008 at Mosport, Canada for the CanAm Reunion.

Here is what Wally Willmott thinks of making contact with his friend Gary Knutson again:
"In the years since I left McLaren's I had been hearing second hand stories of Gary Knutson and what he was up to, but could not find/make direct contact. Thanks to Jerry I have been in touch with Gary and will continue to maintain contact. I'm happy to say I've learnt that some of what I had heard was far from the truth, but as they say, why let a few facts get in the way of a good story.
Through this site I have picked up some more of Gary's early back ground and it has been really interesting to see some of those photo's.

Gary and I shared a lot of hours working together and his sense of humour kept me going when the going got tough. While working 14 hour days at Traco Engineering, we allowed, in fact forced ourselves to take one day a week off and on Sundays we would go down and visit Fred Carrillo pick up a couple of motor cycles and go ride in the dirt. It was such a privilege to have met all those we did through those months of work. Traco's would have a Who's Who of all branches of motor racing passing through the doors on a regular basis. There was always some banter going on, and from memory we were refered to as 'Fruity Car Racers', but the common interest of the 'Infernal Combustion Engine' broke down all barriers and the cross flow of information was of benefit to all.

When he arrived in England to work for Bruce, Gary stayed with me until he got himself settled, and with his no nonsense approach he soon had the respect of everyone who mattered. I am glad to remake the acquaintance of a good friend."
Wally Willmott

photo Harry Lipetz.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 16 March 2012 - 08:50.

#26 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 14:16

Posted Image
Wesley Sweet working on Chaparral and Hap Sharp looking on.

As Wally Willmott has said. Gary Knutson and Wally Willmott were both friends with Fred Carrillo. It was Fred Carrillo who gave me Gary Knutson's phone number so we could make contact with Gary Again.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 16 March 2012 - 08:54.

#27 Mirage

Mirage

• 23 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 20:07

For more on Gary Knutson there are several good books which provide details, and from where I have gleaned much of my information. The best ones seem to be 'Chaparral, CanAm and Prototype' by Dave Friedman, 'Can-Am' by Pete Lyons, 'McLaren , The man the cars and the team' by Eoin Young , and 'Bruce McLaren' by Karl Ludvigsen. There are several others as well.

#28 Bruce302

Bruce302

• 134 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 20:22

Quote:
This comes from Gary Knutson:

"The guy next to Timmy Mayer is Donn Allen who was a Chaparral mechanic/fabricator. Real talented. Don't know whatever happened to him. "

Jerry, I have a Donn Allen fuel cell from 1969, would this be the same guy ? Did he have a business making fuel cells and if so was it an ongoing concern ?

Thanks,
Bruce.

#29 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:21

Hap-Sharp1963.png
Hap Sharp with new rear engined Chaparral in 1963
Note the motorcycle gas tank. This is before the fuel bladders arrived. They used the gas tank off Hap Sharp's, Greeves motorcycle.

Bruce this comes from Gary Knutson:
As I recall, Donn made fuel tanks (aluminum). Maybe this is what Bruce is referring to?

Gary Knutson

Mirage: Thank you for listing those great sources of information. Forget them for now and just watch this site. They have what they were told or thought was happening. We have Gary Knutson telling us in his own words what happened in the day. He is also allowing the forum members to view his never before seen photos.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 March 2020 - 23:34.

#30 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:28

hall-and-penske-1.png
Jim Hall and Roger Penske in Nassau 1964.

I asked Gary Knutson if he had any good stories to tell about working with the early Chaparral crew in Dallas.
Here is Gary's answer:
"The chief mechanic at the time (1959) was Red Byron (of NASCAR fame) and every day they would all go to Luby's cafeteria for lunch. Luby's had a woman in the middle of the cafeteria playing the organ. She was on kind of a platform. She would be banging away at that organ and you couldn't hear each other talk. One day Red Byron brought a pair of insulated diagonal cutters with him. While she was playing away he walked up and took the cutters out and cut her power cord. Everyone in the place applauded, except the organ player of course. Gary Knutson being a young guy at the time thought that was pretty good."

Regards,
Gary Knutson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 15:27.

#31 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 00:23

Ardun-Powered32-Ford.jpg

Gary Knutson with Doug Cimino's 32 Ford.
Gary at 16 has just won the Georgetown Hillclimb. This race was run on a twisty dirt road, similar to Pikes Peak. It was located off the highway between Colorado Springs and Aspen, Colorado.
The car was modified with Ardun heads on a Flat Head Ford engine. They also used this car for Drag Racing.

These heads were invented by Zora Arkus-Duntov and his brother Yura Arkus-Duntov. They were made of cast aluminum and converted the Flat Head engine into a hemispherical headed engine. In the day they had near 300 horsepower. Notice the Riley side draft carbs and the Flex-Tube headers.

Now a days guys are getting over 400 horsepower out of these engines using more modern technology but the same basic idea. They have reached speeds of over 157 mph in a roadster with an Ardun headed Flat Head engine at Bonneville Salt Flats.

This link shows one dynoing at 400 hp.
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

This site shows a 400hp Ford Flathead with an Ardun OHV conversion and fuel injection. They are dyno tuning it for Bonneville 2007. The dyno gave them the following numbers: 317hp at the rear wheels, 400hp at the flywheel, and 156 to 165mph at 6200rpm. The current record for this set-up in "Street Roadster Class" at Bonneville is 153mph. They went 157.8 mph.

photo found for site Vicki Knutson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 23 March 2020 - 08:26.

#32 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:40

Posted Image
Gary Knutson in his first race car.
In the states these cars are called Soap box Derby Racers. You would go with your parents to the local Chevrolet dealer. You would get the axles and wheels from the dealer. You also were given a set of plans and your dad usually pitched in and you made your racer according to these plans.
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related Soap Box racers in action

There usually was a steep hill or street in your town and in the summer you would race the other kids. The winners would go to a final held in July in Akron, Ohio at a place called Derby Downs.
The letters on Gary's car were a Local Radio station. Gary is calling this his first race car.

Posted Image
After Gary raced his Soap Box Racer he decided to use the wheel on something with a motor: He calls this a Maytag powered Trike.

Gary got the motor out of a 1930's Maytag gas powered clothes washer. It had a Kick starter to get it to go.
I am putting a link of a gas powered Maytag washing machine running and of just the engine running so you can see what he got it out of and how it must have sounded.
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related This is a Maytag gas engine running.

This is a Maytag gas powered washing maching running.

photos found for site Vicki Knutson.

#33 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:07

Jerry - I raced for 4) years in Soap Box Derby & represented my hometown in Akron in 1972. My Dad & his brother had done so as kids (best of third in the Ft.Wayne, IN local) & he thought it would be a good experience for my brother & I. He was certainly right with this. A longtime friend won Akron in 1968, his brother placed fifth at Akron in 1969. I won my first two rounds, eliminated by the eventual champion (Bob Lange - Boulder, Colorado) in the third. Many good memories & life long friendships were established. Chevrolet was still involved when I went there with 251 others, including cars from Germany and the Phillippines. I was sponsored by Sunoco & even got to briefly meet Mark Donohue. Good thoughts indeed.

Posted Image
Edit: I dug this out - winning my 1st of 7) heats to win my local. Sunoco "High Performance Special". No IndyCar influence with this kid.

Brian

#34 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 14:10

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
After Gary raced his Soap Box Racer he decided to use the wheel on something with a motor: He calls this a Maytag powered Trike.

Love that!

You know, Maytag once had a famous motor racing personality on its payroll...;)

#35 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 17:57

Great stuff! What an amazing life!

#36 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:19

Ferrari-3-liter-1.jpg
Ferrari 3 liter
Gary Knutson and Jerry Mallett restored this beautiful car for the Hall's. Gary remembers driving it around Boulder, Colorado after it was finished and having a great time doing so.

Photo Jerry Mallett collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 16:33.

#37 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:32

OSCA2.jpg

Osca 2 Liter car
This car was brought to Colorado by Chuck Hall. Gary Knutson and Jerry Mallett replaced the stock 2 liter engine with a Fuel Injected V8 Chevy. And to make sure they had enough kick, Gary Knutson installed a McCulloch Supercharger. They now call them Paxton Superchargers.

white-Osca.jpg
Here is the engine compartment showing the supercharger on the fuel injected Chevy engine.

Here is a very interesting History of the McCulloch Supercharger: http://www.vs57.com/history.htm

photos lent site Jerry Mallett collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 31 March 2020 - 12:59.

#38 barrykm

barrykm

• 807 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:08

Great thread :up:

#39 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 15:16

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Posted Image
Osca 2 Liter car
This car was brought to Colorado by Chuck Hall. Gary Knutson and Jerry Mallett replaced the stock 2 liter engine with a Fuel Injected V8 Chevy. And to make sure they had enough kick, Gary Knutson installed a McCulloch Supercharger. They now call them Paxton Superchargers.photos lent site Jerry Mallett collection.

This must be the car that Ron Hunter raced in the 1961 USAC race at Continental Divide in Colorado. AS I recall, he went out in a crash with the Maserati T-61 of Chuck Sargent. Can't say that I ever heard of the car again until now.

(looks like a 1957 Pontiac station wagon tow car!)

Tom

Advertisement

#40 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 15:23

RA Historian:
You are right on the Pontiac Staion Wagon. It belonged to Chuck Hall, Jim Hall's younger brother. It had tri power and according to Gary Knutson was no slouch in the power department.
These race cars were kept in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the Hall family was from. This was before they moved to Texas. They were friends with the Unser's and at times Bobby Unser would use this station wagon to move his race cars.

When Gary Knutson picked up the Osca from the garage in Albuquerque, the 2 Liter engine was just laying outside in the alley. Gary went back after a few years and the engine was gone.
As Jerry Mallett has said earlier. Driving that Osca with the supercharged Chevy was like trying to drive a Muscle car on ice.

#41 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 20:49

wes-games.jpg
Wesley Sweet of the Chaparral Team in the Senior Olympics.
We saw Wesley Sweet earlier in this thread working on the Chaparral for Hap Sharp. Wesley was born in 1937 and won 3 Gold Medals in 2004 in his weight division in lifting events.

I don't know if Franz Weis and Troy Rogers are going to take this up.

wes-lifting-medal.jpg
Wesley Sweet with his Senior Olympics medals

photos Wesley Sweet collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 27 March 2020 - 19:26.

#42 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 22:11

wes-and-troy.jpg
Wesley Sweet and Troy Rogers
Troy Rogers is signaling Jim Hall to come in. He is showing Jim Hall the fuel funnel. This was at Las Vegas in 1965.
Troy Rogers is the best guy you could ever hope to sit down and have a beer with, he is a ball.

In 1965 the Chaparral team had 16 wins out of 21 starts. One of the Wins was the 12 hours of Sebring.

photo Wesley Sweet collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 27 March 2020 - 19:04.

#43 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 22:24

Chap-and-Mc-Laren.jpg
Jim Hall in Chaparral beating Bruce McLaren at Mosport 1965.
Jim Hall blew an engine in Friday's practice. He had to start last because they couldn't qualify. He came through for the win in the race.

photo Wesley Sweet collection.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 23 March 2020 - 14:26.

#44 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 22:33

Franz-and-Wesley.jpg
Franz Weis driving and Wesley Sweet holding Winning Flag.
This is the Riverside Grand Prix in 1965 and they are bringing Hap Sharp's winning car back to the pits.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 24 March 2020 - 17:34.

#45 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 23:11

The look of satisfaction on their faces is understated and priceless! As always Jerry, you have another great thread. Thank you,

Brian

#46 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:10

Jerry,

Didn't Wes Sweet work for Ralph Salyer at Cro-Sal for a while too?

Tom

#47 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:16

ben-and-ralph.png
Ralph Salyer in a race meeting with Charley Hayes and Bob McKee and Gene Crowe.
Wesley Sweet and a young Mark Salyer can be seen behind the pit wall.

RA Historian: Wesley Sweet did help the Salyer Racing Team. Or AKA Cro-Sal Racing

photo lent site Mark Salyer.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 26 March 2020 - 00:05.

#48 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:47

Jerry, with every body recieving 'Nicknames/tags in Motorsport, How come Troy Rogers didn't wind up with the "Roy" tag ??,our work friend here in Australia is John Rogers,we know him as "Buck" Rogers,sorry I'm Just having a self amusing moment..........Regards 427

#49 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:10

Posted Image
"Chief" getting ready to signal Fellow forum member Vic Elford.
Wesley Sweet is helping Troy Rogers get the board ready. The legs in the picture belong to Jim Hall.
This is at Watkins Glen in 1970 for the TransAm race. Vic Elford driving the Chaparral Camaro came through for the win. Engine by Gary Knutson.

Troy Rogers was called "Chief" by the crew.

#50 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:24

elford-in-Camero-1.jpg
Vi Elford winning the 1970 Watkins Glen TransAm
This was aboard the Chaparral Team Camaro.
Vic Elford was using an engine by Gary Knutson.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 March 2020 - 18:45.