Photo

Walter Sulke, Macau

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,170 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 14:21

I spent a very nice day with Mrs Ruth Sulke, the widow of Walter, who happily told me stories of racing in Macau, horse racing with Teddy Yip, and her own exploits in hillclimbs and sprints.

She told me her only regret was that as they were so busy racing, they never took photographs, and as such she has none of herself driving, but more importantly to her, none of her late husband racing, especially in his "lovely Merc'".

So this is a plea, has anybody any pictures of Walter and Ruth Sulke racing that I might share with her?

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 16:14

She's presumably seen Philip Newsome's Colour and Noise?

#3 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,170 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 16:22

That's the name I was trying to recall as we spoke, b#g**r!!

Is there much reference to Walter and Ruth in it? She's due to go back to Hong Kong shortly, but I am in touch by e mail, so can certainly recommend it. :up:

#4 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 235 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 16:45

Steve,

According to 'Colour and Noise' Walter Sulke competed in the 1954 and 1965 Macau GPs. On pages 14 and 15 there is a panoramic photo of the Le Mans style start. You can just make out the Mercedes 220 of Sulke and indeed Walter running to the car. In the text describing the race there is a reference to "Walter Sulke OBE...chairman of the Zung Fu Mercedes Benz agency in Hong Kong...was forced to retire his Mercedes on the very last lap when a puncture sent him careering into a row of dilapidated godowns at the bottom of Hospital Hill."

As far as 1965 is concerned there are no photos of Sulke but he is referred to in the text with regard to his disputed third place which then became fourth after a stewards enquiry.

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 18:23

Thanks for saving me the trouble of checking, Steve :up:
Most of Sulke's races were as an entrant rather than a driver - Mercedes 190SL, Mercedes 300SL, DKW saloon, Auto Union 1000S, FJ Tojeiro-DKW, Triumph Spitfire, ex-Le Mans Alpine-Renault etc. His drivers included Douglas Steane, Arthur Pateman, Bill Wyllie, Mauro Bianchi and doubtless others as well.
Pateman in the 300SL won the 1957 Macau GP for Sulke, and Bianchi took the 1966 race in the Alpine

#6 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,170 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 19:34

I suspect from her comments, she'd like to see ANY pictures. I suppose in this day and age of digital, it's easy to forget we were once very sparing of using up film, and as such chose our subjects more carefully, so there are less pictures of times gone by.

#7 Angus Lamont

Angus Lamont

• 74 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:16

I have a friend who has access to a complete set of the Motor Sports Club of Hong Kong’s monthly magazine “The Chequered Flag”. As Walter Sulke was an active member I expect that he will feature in some of the magazines pictures. I will check with him and post his reply.

#8 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,917 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:11

Steve, Mrs Sulke may be interested to learn that the Mercedes-Benz 220SL Walter imported from the factory in 1957 is alive and well and living - beautifully restored - in Adelaide. There are some photographs I took of it of it in the Lobethal Carnival thread - http://forums.autosp...threadid=104439 see post #7. If you wish to receive the hi-res originals, please feel free to PM me.

It will be appearing in the Classic Adelaide Rally later this week and I will surely have more pictures of it soon. And if her/your interest extends that far, I am close to this car and I can provide some more details of its background since it arrived here in the mid-sixties.

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,170 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 14:05

Thanks chaps. Vanwall, have sent a pm.

Mr Sulke appears to have been very very camera shy!

#10 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,122 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 16:23

Reference the Sulke Mercedes Benz here are two shots, the grid shot is well known but the other shot shows Arthur Pateman after the race and can one assume this is Walter Sulke on the cockpit ?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,170 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 18:15

She'll be dead chuffed with those, are there bigger copies?

#12 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 220 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 00:26

The "Triumph Spitfire" raced by Walter Sulke was a very special one-off, prepared by the Triumph Competition Department to Walter Sulke's order; the car has long been know as the Triumph Macau. (I know the car well, having owned it for a while in the 1980s and having restored it to its original appearance.)

While there are no photos of Mr. Sulke in the car, a detailed and well-researched history of the car can be found at:

http://www.canleycla...ticle=macau.xml

Cynic

#13 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,170 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 19:32

Originally posted by Graham Gauld
Reference the Sulke Mercedes Benz here are two shots, the grid shot is well known but the other shot shows Arthur Pateman after the race and can one assume this is Walter Sulke on the cockpit ?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Ruth tells me "it's Walter in the car and the other chap is Doug Steane" Does that make sense?

#14 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,122 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:06

MMMMmmmm not really as the car is clearly as it was in 1956, black, and the driver was Doug Stearn in 1955 the only other time the 190SL ran at Macau it was silver. There is no reference to Mr Sulke racing it but he did race a mercedes 220 inthe first Macau event in 1954

#15 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,170 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:41

I think I'll put that down to a "senior" moment! To say she was delighted to see these pictures is an understatement!