IndyCar 2009 (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1624 replies to this topic

#601 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:03

Originally posted by McGuire

If CART cannot survive without the Speedway, then it had damn well better do business with the Speedway.

It's worth noting that the IRL hasn't done jack shit without ChampCar either... The numbers prove this and now the fact that they are adopting all that was CC/CART proves this.

Advertisement

#602 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:08

Originally posted by John Morrison
Hey Buford how about quit being a crybaby. Your old days are dead. A memory. This is the future whether its shine or bleak. Live for the future. You're gonna drop of heart attack continue on your "Back in my days" bitter rants. 15 years later you are still a loser. The portal of your old days is permanently closed while my portal is straight to the future.

I used to race with John Morrison. John Morrison was a friend of mine. You sir are no John Morrison. And you can't refute a single thing i say either can you while ducking that incoming train?

#603 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,077 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:14

It's like trying to refute a network pundit, it's all soundbites. Discuss dude, quit ranting.

#604 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 13:03

Originally posted by aportinga

I agree with this statement. Tony George had some concerns - specifically regards to American drivers and such. Althought he was full of shit and had no intention of looking out for the mom & pops and American drivers, I do think that CART should have focused more on driver development and maintaining a linkage with traditional OW racing roots.

I think the IRL is absolutely committed to developing American drivers and managing team costs at a sustainable level. Which is a rather different proposition than dirt track heroes and Mom & Pop teams. When you take the former and run it through the media/message board filter you end up with the latter, which is a level of abstraction that can sustain message board arguments forever.

Sustainable team budgets and more American drivers are both worthy and necessary goals. The question is how to do it. On a message board we can just say it, but the IRL must actually do it. And it's difficult.

For example: where do you get American drivers? I think the early years of the IRL proved that for most drivers, the short tracks are insufficient training for Indy cars. Drivers need seat time in formula car road racing. However, the North American road racing scene is essentially in shambles. Right now, any young American who aspires to formula car racing needs to go to Europe if he has any hope of getting anywhere. It's not really in the IRL's power to fix that. It wasn't in CART/Champ Car's power either. So within the range of things that can be done that are within a sanctioning body's reach, what does it do?

#605 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 14:00

I think the IRL is absolutely committed to developing American drivers and managing team costs at a sustainable level. Which is a rather different proposition than dirt track heroes and Mom & Pop teams. When you take the former and run it through the media/message board filter you end up with the latter, which is a level of abstraction that can sustain message board arguments forever.

Sustainable team budgets and more American drivers are both worthy and necessary goals. The question is how to do it. On a message board we can just say it, but the IRL must actually do it. And it's difficult.

For example: where do you get American drivers? I think the early years of the IRL proved that for most drivers, the short tracks are insufficient training for Indy cars. Drivers need seat time in formula car road racing. However, the North American road racing scene is essentially in shambles. Right now, any young American who aspires to formula car racing needs to go to Europe if he has any hope of getting anywhere. It's not really in the IRL's power to fix that. It wasn't in CART/Champ Car's power either. So within the range of things that can be done that are within a sanctioning body's reach, what does it do?

You "think" along with maybe 10 other people. As far as networks and sponsors are concerned, they all know that Tony George, Brian Barnhart and Co. are frauds who haven't the first clue on how to run a business. THIRTEEN years in the red confirm this.

#606 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 15:30

This morning's Indy Star has Bryan Herta purchasing Playa del Racing's Indy Lights equipment and starting Bryan Herta Racing. They took the lot to Vision Racing's shop to work out of. No drivers named. Possibly this will lead to his eventual participation (as an owner or owner/ driver) in IndyCar? Nevertheless, something (dare I say it?) positive.

Brian

#607 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 16:22

You "think" along with maybe 10 other people. As far as networks and sponsors are concerned, they all know that Tony George, Brian Barnhart and Co. are frauds who haven't the first clue on how to run a business. THIRTEEN years in the red confirm this.

That's just namecalling. It has no meaning or substance. Now that you have shared your precious opinion (for the 674th time) what facts or grounded observations can you share about the series?

#608 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 17:05

Do you want me to post TV ratings - where the majority of $$ come from? Do you want me to list all the original IRL teams - oval tracks and so on, which bought into this bullshit - heavily laden with American participation at all levels, which are either gone or out of business?

Lets talk about the marketing of Danica Patrick and Gene Simmons as the only crutch for the league to stand on. Lets talk about how bad engine leases and spec chassis are. What about costs - I thought those were supposed to be addressed...? While we're at it should we invite the owners of Vegas, Phoenix and MIS into the conversation to discuss how the league turned them down in favor for street racing?

Yeah - lets turn a blind eye and just celebrate the centenial of the 500 - by 2011 Audi, Alfa, Volkswagon and Porsche will all be invovled - new cars and engines - all of them even cheaper then today :lol: BTW - would YOU like to bet a 45yr MaCallan on that? So far IRL management turned me down - 3 fan boys turned me down and even Robin Miller turned me down... :rotfl:

You know there is a plethora of data out there from media sources which state the exact opposite of what you are saying in most cases. Why should anyone believe YOU - who clearly has an agenda over these media sources, track owners and so on? Oh yes I know becuase they are part of an ISC conspiracy right? Funny how the black helicoptors work for you when it's all on the IRL but not so when it came to ChampCar :rolleyes:

I have remained open and objective about this - blaming CART 675 times more then the 674 times I blamed Tony George - just check my last few posts. You and the fanboys populate respectful and intelligent sites such as this for the sole reason to post bullshit in hopes of burying the facts and covering the successes which CART achieved - with TV Ratings and Attendance numbers that the IRL has not even come close to in 13 years - 13 YEARS!!! Yeah it may not have sustained CART because spending and management grew out of control but at least they develoed a base far greater then the IRL ever will or that USAC could ever dream of.

You sit here and post shit like CART/CC could not manage on without the 500... Well then what the hell is the IRL's excuse after 13 years of being IN THE RED - NO PROFIT?

#609 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,716 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 17:34

theres indy lights
guess there maybe a need for indy ultra lights :lol:

but isnt that what skip barber is ?

i guess they could give the IRL teams a testing budget to use on american drivers

but generaly we mostly dont care about junior drivers. i couldnt name a current or last year indy lights driver.

the influx of south american drivers is i guess 2 main points, a)they bring sponsership in whatever form, b)there good

#610 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 18:00

Lets talk about the marketing of Danica Patrick and Gene Simmons as the only crutch for the league to stand on. Lets talk about how bad engine leases and spec chassis are. What about costs - I thought those were supposed to be addressed...? While we're at it should we invite the owners of Vegas, Phoenix and MIS into the conversation to discuss how the league turned them down in favor for street racing?

I think Danica Patrick has been marketed very effectively. Some would say over-marketed. I don't think Gene Simmons is an issue. He was never a major focus of the IRL's marketing campaign and all he contributed was that stupid jingle. He works on spec so whatever. Team costs have been successfully addressed. The IRL is less expensive to run than CART ever was. However, I think many fans are unhappy with the package that resulted. The problem with adding any new events at this time is cost. A race venue is an investment. So is a race date. No commitments on new events can be made until the economy is sorted out. Key this year is backing up the schedule the series has in place.

#611 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 18:27

Yeah - lets turn a blind eye and just celebrate the centenial of the 500 - by 2011 Audi, Alfa, Volkswagon and Porsche will all be invovled - new cars and engines - all of them even cheaper then today :lol: BTW - would YOU like to bet a 45yr MaCallan on that? So far IRL management turned me down - 3 fan boys turned me down and even Robin Miller turned me down... :rotfl:

No, I wouldn't bet a nickel beer that any of those manufacturers are coming to the IRL. And that was before the global auto industry crisis. As an open wheel series, the IRL is a bad fit for any of these manufacturers -- with the exception of Alfa, which is a bad fit for the IRL. Porsche makes no sense at all. It already has its ideal motorsport niche, which for the most part is building privateer race cars and supporting them. Porsche probably gets more bang for the racing buck than anyone.

#612 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 19:35

I think Danica Patrick has been marketed very effectively.

Definitely.
Putting her in the shower with another women is great marketing.
That way they do not call attention to her abysmal racing record, only her willingness to abandon her dignity.

I can see it now, NASCAR takes lessons from the irl:

Brian France: Tony, how's it going?
Tony Stewart: Well, setting up this new team is bitch. Why?
BF: We have a great idea on marketing you and the series.
TS: Yeah? Tell me about it.
BF: Well we know you and Ryan Newman are tight, we'd like you to take a shower together and demonstrate that NASCAR is an open minded series where we welcome ALL fans. That thing with Danica during the Superbowl got her sponsor a LOT of exposure. Maybe you two can do that young gun thing with the razors, eh?
TS: Yeah, right, Brian. Put the bottle down and back away from the bar, and by the way, F##k Off!

#613 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,716 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 19:39

Porsche makes no sense at all. It already has its ideal motorsport niche, which for the most part is building privateer race cars and supporting them. Porsche probably gets more bang for the racing buck than anyone.

so what are IRL cars?
dallera chassis and a honda engine

porche can be a engine provider too, i think they are in grand am

#614 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:16

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII

Definitely.
Putting her in the shower with another women is great marketing.
That way they do not call attention to her abysmal racing record, only her willingness to abandon her dignity.

That's a Big Daddy commerical, not an IRL commercial. Do you understand the difference?

#615 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:20

That's a Big Daddy commerical, not an IRL commercial. Do you understand the difference?

The veiwers will NOT associate her with the irl ?
C'mon, try something else, that won't pass the smell test.
Grab another straw.

#616 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:23

I think it's Go Daddy, unless she has been picked up by a barbeque sauce this Winter.

Brian

#617 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:24

Originally posted by pingu666

so what are IRL cars?
dallera chassis and a honda engine

porche can be a engine provider too, i think they are in grand am

It could, but it doesn't make a lot of sense from a marketing perspective. Production-based sports car racing is the best fit for Porsche.

The best fit for Indy Cars is pretty much the same as for F1 but with a smaller budget -- a global full line manufacturer that needs to make a brand statement. Since the cars don't have fenders there is no product alignment to speak of.

#618 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:29

The veiwers will NOT associate her with the irl ?
C'mon, try something else, that won't pass the smell test.
Grab another straw.

There is nothing sadder than willful stupidity. The commercial was produced by Big Daddy, not by the IRL. Thus the IRL has no control over the content. If you were paying attention, what the Big Daddy commerical proves is that Danica Patrick has no personal services contract with IRL, or there would be no such commercial. That means among other things that Danica gets no $$$ from the IRL.

#619 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:31

Originally posted by B Squared
I think it's Go Daddy, unless she has been picked up by a barbeque sauce this Winter.

Brian

Big Daddy, Go Daddy, whatever. I hope Go Daddy pays its bills. :D

Advertisement

#620 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:32

Brian

You're right. It appears you're the only one paying attention to THAT aspect of the ad.  ;)

#621 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:33

This morning's Indy Star has Bryan Herta purchasing Playa del Racing's Indy Lights equipment and starting Bryan Herta Racing. They took the lot to Vision Racing's shop to work out of. No drivers named. Possibly this will lead to his eventual participation (as an owner or owner/ driver) in IndyCar? Nevertheless, something (dare I say it?) positive.

Brian

Saw that. Good for Herta!

#622 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:46

Brian

AWESOME :up:

#623 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:48

Originally posted by red stick

Saw that. Good for Herta!

I never found Herta to be aggressive enough in character to have what it takes to drive. It will be interesting too see what he does as a owner.

I wish him luck - he's a nice guy.

#624 GVborsari

GVborsari

• 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 21:05

?

#625 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 21:31

GVborsari ?

See Post 607

Brian

#626 Risil

Risil

• 13,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 21:54

I never found Herta to be aggressive enough in character to have what it takes to drive. It will be interesting too see what he does as a owner.

I wish him luck - he's a nice guy.

If anyone remembers that Simpsons episode, Bryan Herta's spat with Alex Zanardi in 1996-1998 always reminded me of the character Frank Grimes.

#627 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 22:05

Originally posted by Risil

If anyone remembers that Simpsons episode, Bryan Herta's spat with Alex Zanardi in 1996-1998 always reminded me of the character Frank Grimes.

:lol: :clap: :up:

#628 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,716 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 22:36

i imagine being a herta fan, i mean a full on fan, must be very heartbreaking, even as a casual fan of his just cos he was in CART etc, is heartbreaking

best of luck to him :up:

#629 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 22:38

Scott Dixon to race at Sebring with de Ferran Motorsports.

http://auto-racing.s...top-at-sebring/

#630 AcuraF1

AcuraF1

• 1,921 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 15:28

And down goes Rahal Letterman...

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3868807

#631 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,818 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 18:02

Originally posted by AcuraF1

Maybe the best IndyCar teams will switch to sportscars, fine by me.

I feel like USOW will have to fully implode before it gets any better.

#632 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 20:27

It looks like Indy only according to Curt Cavin in the Indy Star.

http://www.indystar....S0107/901290455

Brian

#633 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,818 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 20:45

At least we'll see less of that Ethanol shite

#634 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 21:54

More good news

Rahal Letterman’s announcement isn’t the only bad news. [IRL spokesman John] Griffin confirmed that the IRL also lost DirecTV as a presenting sponsor. Griffin said the series’ deal with DirecTV broke down when IRL signed a deal to air races on Comcast-owned Versus cable TV channel.

“One of DirecTV’s biggest competitors is Comcast,” Griffin said. “They felt it didn’t make sense to have their logo and support in a position where it supported a Comcast initiative in any way.”

Still, Griffin said, IRL ad executives along with Indianapolis-based sponsorship consultancy Just Marketing continue to make headway with new deals.

We just had a meeting Monday with a very, very big corporate brand name ,” Griffin said. “I can’t tell you more than that, but rest assured it’s a well-known name. Every time our sales staff comes back from a meeting, the word is the same. There are so many corporate interests that are interested in this series, but are being held up by the economy. Our sales guys like the momentum they see . We feel once this economic cloud lifts, we’ll be in a great position to take off and grow.”

What a bunch of shit :rolleyes:

#635 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 22:02

Just saw the Go Daddy ad...what a let down.

CC

#636 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 22:17

"We feel once this economic cloud lifts, we’ll be in a great position to take off and grow.”

Cool, the irl has another excuse that should last a few years for their inability to make a profit.
TG should be thrilled.

#637 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,412 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 23:12

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck
Just saw the Go Daddy ad...what a let down.

CC

It's very poor. :cry:

#638 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,412 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 23:13

There is nothing sadder than willful stupidity. The commercial was produced by Big Daddy, not by the IRL. Thus the IRL has no control over the content. If you were paying attention, what the Big Daddy commerical proves is that Danica Patrick has no personal services contract with IRL, or there would be no such commercial. That means among other things that Danica gets no $$$ from the IRL.

The IRL doesn't have any control over the content, but you cannot say it doesn't benefit the IRL and therefore the clever noggins that got Patrick into the IRL and backed her career to the point that GoDaddy can exploit her in a commercial. It's a great success for the IRL on a long term plan.

#639 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 23:40

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
The IRL doesn't have any control over the content, but you cannot say it doesn't benefit the IRL and therefore the clever noggins that got Patrick into the IRL and backed her career to the point that GoDaddy can exploit her in a commercial. It's a great success for the IRL on a long term plan.

If you say so. However, some here believe that the commerical is a poor reflection on the series, negative attention if you will. (Whitewater mkII had never seen a scantily clad girl before, apparently. He started to feel funny down there and it frightened him.) You guys can sort all that out, blah blah blah. I don't care.

I am simply noting that the IRL does not have any creative control over the ad content of the Go Daddy people. As long as they don't violate any of IRL's trade properties they can do whatever they want.

Advertisement

#640 Option1

Option1

• 13,128 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 23:45

If you say so. However, some here believe that the commerical is a poor reflection on the series, negative attention if you will. (Whitewater mkII had never seen a scantily clad girl before, apparently. He started to feel funny down there and it frightened him.) You guys can sort all that out, blah blah blah. I don't care.

I am simply noting that the IRL does not have any creative control over the ad content of the Go Daddy people. As long as they don't violate any of IRL's trade properties they can do whatever they want.

I would strongly suspect that the IRL does indeed have control via a "bringing the sport into disrepute" type clause in allowing drivers to compete in their series. I'd also be quite sure they can declare any sponsor persona non grata should they so choose. If they felt the lovely innuendo posed by Ms Patrick potentially dykeing it out in a shower was against the series interests they would have the advert pulled in an instant.

Neil

#641 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 00:14

Be careful, now. This was not supposed to happen, and you may be expelled for posting negative news about TG and his series. After all, once CC died and TG was in control ... the future was going to be so bright :rolleyes:

The "true" historians," who saw CC's sales rep embarrass CC, assured us "it was morning in OW" once again.
Oh well, at least RLR is safe in ALMS !

shaggy

#642 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 00:24

(Whitewater mkII had never seen a scantily clad girl before, apparently. He started to feel funny down there and it frightened him.)

Considering I did set design and construction in Hollyweird for two decades and counted Hustler's studios, amongst many other skin mags in my client list, that hits a pretty good funny bone. And no, dirty old man, not THAT bone. ;)

The thing I find sad about Danica is that with her race record she would have been bounced long ago from any self respecting race team, instead the teams and series prop her up as if she was Schumacher in a skirt.
There are a slew of other racers that sit out that could do wonders with the rides she has had.
Kind of a reverse discrimination that underlines how pitiful USOW racing has become.

#643 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 00:56

Originally posted by Option1
I would strongly suspect that the IRL does indeed have control via a "bringing the sport into disrepute" type clause in allowing drivers to compete in their series.

She was in a network television commerical, not smoking crack or molesting children.

#644 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:05

The thing I find sad about Danica is that with her race record she would have been bounced long ago from any self respecting race team, instead the teams and series prop her up as if she was Schumacher in a skirt.
There are a slew of other racers that sit out that could do wonders with the rides she has had.
Kind of a reverse discrimination that underlines how pitiful USOW racing has become.

So you say. However, she finished 6th in the championship last year, ahead of two of her three teammates. Also ahead of 16 men in total who ran the whole season. So by your sexist and misogynist reasoning, a whole bunch of men should be hanging their heads in shame, no?

Handy tip for the future: should you find yourself using the term "reverse discrimination" in a sentence, stop. right. there. You are surely about to make an ass of yourself.

#645 Option1

Option1

• 13,128 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:25

She was in a network television commerical, not smoking crack or molesting children.

Okay that is so obtuse that you're either smoking the aforesaid substance or just dense. You're the one who said the IRL had no control, I merely pointed out that they very definitely do have some strong means of control. However, I think you know that; ergo one of your standard non-response deflections.

Neil

#646 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:35

Originally posted by Option1
Okay that is so obtuse that you're either smoking the aforesaid substance or just dense. You're the one who said the IRL had no control, I merely pointed out that they very definitely do have some strong means of control. However, I think you know that; ergo one of your standard non-response deflections.

Neil

I will say it again: the IRL has no control over that TV commericial. If the IRL suspends her she will sue them for 8 figures and win, for the IRL has no cause to suspend her. Or the IRL can sue her to try to show this so-called "disrepute" and it will lose. Thus there is nothing the IRL can do. It has no control over that commerical. You may think so but then you would be WRONG, eh. No offense but it is you who are being obtuse. Now stop it. You are simply arguing for its own sake.

#647 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:26

You're missing the point completely. The league decided that it was going to promote Danica on it's own - as an asset (since she's a woman). What you fail too see is that the league has failed so horribly to market her (nothing new there) that sorry excuses for promotions such as GoDaddy superceed the attempts of TG and company.

It's really a common failure of the IRL that even the most sincere of fanboys admit to - i.e... Depender.

#648 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:32

So you say. However, she finished 6th in the championship last year, ahead of two of her three teammates. Also ahead of 16 men in total who ran the whole season. So by your sexist and misogynist reasoning, a whole bunch of men should be hanging their heads in shame, no?

Handy tip for the future: should you find yourself using the term "reverse discrimination" in a sentence, stop. right. there. You are surely about to make an ass of yourself.

What an absolute cop out. You must really think the people here are as dumb as the fanboys elsewhere :rolleyes:

How does 6th place in the IRL point equate to jack shit???

Hmmm - Winning the entire championship - where are those clowns (not in F1 where they want to be such as a 4 time ChampCar champion). How about winng the Indy500 - gee where the hell is Buddy Rice this year???

#649 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:56

Sad to see.

But not the first comedown for RLR in the last three or so years. Racing GT cars in the ALMS wasn't Rahal's first wish either, as I recall--he wanted the Acura deal AGR got and ended up not in prototypes, but settling for GT. Anyone familiar with the particulars of that story? Could it be true that Danica's criticism wasn't too far off the mark--he got caught up in launching his son's career and took his eye off the ball?

#650 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:24

Originally posted by red stick

Sad to see.

But not the first comedown for RLR in the last three or so years. Racing GT cars in the ALMS wasn't Rahal's first wish either, as I recall--he wanted the Acura deal AGR got and ended up not in prototypes, but settling for GT. Anyone familiar with the particulars of that story? Could it be true that Danica's criticism wasn't too far off the mark--he got caught up in launching his son's career and took his eye off the ball?

True, the team had been slipping, but once the Ethanol sponsorship ran its course the new sponsorships are just not out there right now. F1 and NASCAR teams are folding. This is a survival year for everyone.

For what it's worth, Rahal put out a press release later saying the story was premature and the team still hopes to put something together. I guess we will see. I expect there will be some kind of Indy deal as the equipment is sitting there.