Jump to content


Photo

IndyCar 2009 (merged)


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
1624 replies to this topic

#701 blackhand2010

blackhand2010
  • Member

  • 282 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 02 February 2009 - 19:49

Originally posted by Keir
Next up on IndyCar 2009 - the benefits of infantile masturbation. :rolleyes:


Which is surely why she did the ad in the first place... sex sells more than butt ugly and slow single seaters, whatever track, or series they race on/in.

Advertisement

#702 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII
  • Member

  • 5,337 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 02 February 2009 - 22:13

Originally posted by McGuire
That hussy Danica is such a homewrecker, blah blah blah, etc. :D

:confused:
I thought that was Erin Crocker...

#703 Rob

Rob
  • Member

  • 8,218 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 02 February 2009 - 23:05

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Marco's alright I reckon, it's how it affects his father that seems to create the problems.


They should have placed Marco with another team, as Bobby Rahal did with Graham.

#704 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:28

Originally posted by Rob


I agree. This combination has "trouble" written all over it.


I think that is the intention... Danica's value to the league is not what it once was and Mickey is no longer getting Honda bux. I see the trend we have with triming down to 1 car hitting AGR... They'll be down to 2 by 2010 for certain (Marco and what ever japanese driver Honda wants).

#705 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:33

Originally posted by jonpollak
Sorry...had to.

Danica's shower ad

Jp


Honestly - had Danica remained in ChampCar I am sure that many of use CART/CC fans would have been singing a different tune. If that were the case, I would have shit canned her at this point. This ad is just terrible. :down:

#706 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII
  • Member

  • 5,337 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:59

Originally posted by aportinga


Honestly - had Danica remained in ChampCar I am sure that many of use CART/CC fans would have been singing a different tune. If that were the case, I would have shit canned her at this point. This ad is just terrible. :down:


1 win in the pros.
Danica is a promo tool/

This is a racer .
6.871 /194.21
Since her debut in 1996, she has earned an all-time class record 45 top-qualifier awards and 46 event victories, the most wins for any female in both NHRA competition and professional motor sports as a whole.
Female
101 years old
The Swamp, Louisiana
United State
Pro Stock Bikes
Angelle Sampey

#707 AyePirate

AyePirate
  • Member

  • 5,818 posts
  • Joined: April 00

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:21

Originally posted by aportinga


Honestly - had Danica remained in ChampCar I am sure that many of use CART/CC fans would have been singing a different tune. If that were the case, I would have shit canned her at this point. This ad is just terrible. :down:


Who the hell manages her? Every time I turn around she is doing an advert that is vaguely or outright sleazy.
The Go-Daddy ones are always f-ed up.

Find whoever is managing Sharapova and hire them Danica.

#708 McGuire

McGuire
  • Member

  • 9,218 posts
  • Joined: October 03

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:18

She just switiched from Endeavor in Beverly Hills to Mark Steinberg and Alan Zucker's group at IMG. They represent Sharpova and Tiger Woods.

#709 jonpollak

jonpollak
  • Member

  • 13,400 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:48

Originally posted by Keir
No, no you didn't .... :rolleyes:

Yeah I know, She's WAY to old for you Keir..

Now..
Question regarding the IMG agency saga
Any Idea who was the first racing driver signed my Mark McCormick?

Jp

#710 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,549 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:56

Im going to say JYS, but now I wonder if it's a trick question.

#711 McGuire

McGuire
  • Member

  • 9,218 posts
  • Joined: October 03

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:52

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Im going to say JYS, but now I wonder if it's a trick question.


It would have to be Jackie Stewart.

Mark McCormack was an absolute class act. All the IMG people, really... Bud Stanner, Denny Young, Steve Lindecke... Young and Lindecke spun off their own company, Elevation Group. I have no idea why but Mark decided he liked me and would look me up at events to talk.

#712 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,549 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:58

Ive always had this vision of IMG being this ubiquitous monstrosity that just sucks everything up once it becomes successful. Sort of a Wal-mart of sports management.

#713 McGuire

McGuire
  • Member

  • 9,218 posts
  • Joined: October 03

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:52

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Ive always had this vision of IMG being this ubiquitous monstrosity that just sucks everything up once it becomes successful. Sort of a Wal-mart of sports management.


Probably so, but they were always good to me. Not once have any of them ever said anything that didn't turn out later to be absolutely accurate when the documented truth came out.

Cary Agajanian and his people too. Straight shooters. I remember a NASCAR contract dispute a few years ago... I went to the driver's manager and he said, "Look, it's A,B,C." A month later the case was in court and the facts were A,B,C. You just don't get that with a lot of agents and managers. I don't know how their own clients can trust them.

#714 B Squared

B Squared
  • Member

  • 3,189 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:59

"Danica better start spending time in a COT sim. There won't be an OW grid left in 6 months at this rate." AyePirate

From Curt Cavin at the Indy Star, he stays abreast of the situation quite well. Sorry to disappoint all of the "doom & gloomers." The questioners name being Brian is coincidence only.

Question: With the car count dropping this year due to economic issues, what do you think the ICS will look like in 2010? Is there hope that the car count will again increase as it did in 2008? I just don't want to see my favorite sport vanish. (Brian, Indianapolis)

Answer: First of all, I don't see a significant drop in the car count for this season, and I wouldn't expect a major drop in 2010 unless the economy gets worse than it is. Remember, all the equipment will be the same for the IndyCar Series next season, which keeps the costs in check. The concern will be for 2011 if there's new equipment to invest in.

Aye Pirate - I'd take a bet on your statement being wrong in a New York second. Something I've learned over the years of following IndyCar - there are a great deal of very proud, committed individuals that are a part of this form of motorsport. They are not quitters, they find a way to endure. A great deal of the problems in Open Wheel come from the egos involved - I just do not see these same people letting the sport die, packing it in and going home. That would reflect badly on all that they've accomplished in every facet of their lives - again, I don't see the collapse that so many here seem to be cheering for.

Brian

#715 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII
  • Member

  • 5,337 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 13:44

Originally posted by McGuire

Cary Agajanian and his people too. Straight shooters.


The whole Agajanian family are good people. My folks bought a house from the estate of one of the founding Agajanian brothers upon his death. It was in severe need of a remodel since he had built it and lived in it for about 40 years. I found all sorts of neat stuff from Ascot and their USAC owners days in the basement. throughout the remodel process the Agajanians would swing by to visit. Upon completition a whole bunch of the Agajanians came by and said how pleased their father,uncle, cousin would be with how it turned out.
Good people, and ten years on they are still in contact with my mom and come by now and then.

#716 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 14:54

Originally posted by B Squared
"Danica better start spending time in a COT sim. There won't be an OW grid left in 6 months at this rate." AyePirate

From Curt Cavin at the Indy Star, he stays abreast of the situation quite well. Sorry to disappoint all of the "doom & gloomers." The questioners name being Brian is coincidence only.

Question: With the car count dropping this year due to economic issues, what do you think the ICS will look like in 2010? Is there hope that the car count will again increase as it did in 2008? I just don't want to see my favorite sport vanish. (Brian, Indianapolis)

Answer: First of all, I don't see a significant drop in the car count for this season, and I wouldn't expect a major drop in 2010 unless the economy gets worse than it is. Remember, all the equipment will be the same for the IndyCar Series next season, which keeps the costs in check. The concern will be for 2011 if there's new equipment to invest in.

Aye Pirate - I'd take a bet on your statement being wrong in a New York second. Something I've learned over the years of following IndyCar - there are a great deal of very proud, committed individuals that are a part of this form of motorsport. They are not quitters, they find a way to endure. A great deal of the problems in Open Wheel come from the egos involved - I just do not see these same people letting the sport die, packing it in and going home. That would reflect badly on all that they've accomplished in every facet of their lives - again, I don't see the collapse that so many here seem to be cheering for.

Brian


Cavin is a complete shill. There's more objectivity in this thead then what Cavin puts on paper.

Remember - he'd be out of a job if there was no OW more less.

#717 AyePirate

AyePirate
  • Member

  • 5,818 posts
  • Joined: April 00

Posted 03 February 2009 - 15:25

Originally posted by B Squared
"Danica better start spending time in a COT sim. There won't be an OW grid left in 6 months at this rate." AyePirate

From Curt Cavin at the Indy Star, he stays abreast of the situation quite well. Sorry to disappoint all of the "doom & gloomers." The questioners name being Brian is coincidence only.

Question: With the car count dropping this year due to economic issues, what do you think the ICS will look like in 2010? Is there hope that the car count will again increase as it did in 2008? I just don't want to see my favorite sport vanish. (Brian, Indianapolis)

Answer: First of all, I don't see a significant drop in the car count for this season, and I wouldn't expect a major drop in 2010 unless the economy gets worse than it is. Remember, all the equipment will be the same for the IndyCar Series next season, which keeps the costs in check. The concern will be for 2011 if there's new equipment to invest in.

Aye Pirate - I'd take a bet on your statement being wrong in a New York second. Something I've learned over the years of following IndyCar - there are a great deal of very proud, committed individuals that are a part of this form of motorsport. They are not quitters, they find a way to endure. A great deal of the problems in Open Wheel come from the egos involved - I just do not see these same people letting the sport die, packing it in and going home. That would reflect badly on all that they've accomplished in every facet of their lives - again, I don't see the collapse that so many here seem to be cheering for.

Brian


I never cheer for people losing their jobs. I don't doubt for a minute that IndyCar is full of proud committed individuals. It's just that given the current economic climate it would not be hard to imagine a few more shoes dropping, which leads to more shoes dropping.
It just feels like we are nearing a tipping point.
When NASCAR seems to be struggling a bit that does not bode well for OW which was already struggling without the added economic pressures. Indy will always draw enough cash to put together a field but the other races don't have as much going for them.

#718 AyePirate

AyePirate
  • Member

  • 5,818 posts
  • Joined: April 00

Posted 03 February 2009 - 15:32

Originally posted by McGuire
She just switiched from Endeavor in Beverly Hills to Mark Steinberg and Alan Zucker's group at IMG. They represent Sharpova and Tiger Woods.


Good for her. :up: I think it may have been during the Super Bowl that I saw an ad that featured Sharapova that ran close to the Danica Go-Daddy spot ( or I may have been channel surfing). The contrast between the two was stark in the way sex appeal was handled.
The Sharapova spot exuded upscale prestige and the Go-Daddy spot (ironically) made me feel unclean watching it.

#719 Keir

Keir
  • Member

  • 5,226 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 03 February 2009 - 16:17

jonpollak,

It's "too" old, not "to" and no, no she's not, but she is married, but I don't care.

The, all too often overmentioned, Go Daddy ads are more a promotion for them then Danica. Having said that, she would benefit by going to a classier agency.

Funny thing about Go Daddy and IndyCar. They stick around when all and sundry have, like the rats they are, jumped ship.

..... but enough of this serious stuff, let's get back to silly !!

Advertisement

#720 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII
  • Member

  • 5,337 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 17:15

Originally posted by Keir

..... but enough of this serious stuff, let's get back to silly !!


I think Milka Duno would have been better in the 'enhanced' spot.
;)

#721 B Squared

B Squared
  • Member

  • 3,189 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 03 February 2009 - 17:41

"Cavin is a complete shill. There's more objectivity in this thead then what Cavin puts on paper.

Remember - he'd be out of a job if there was no OW more less." aportinga

Funny, Cavin addressed that very issue yesterday. I've always found him to be a decent, honorable individual with integrity. Not everyone in my life is a PoS lying B-----D, too bad so many others seem to be bathed in negativity and mistrust. I don't wear rose colored glasses, but surely people can be fairly judged apart from their job duties. If he has been a "complete shill", he would have lost his job long ago. Intelligent people tend to notice years of being lied to on a daily basis in the newspaper, or to one's face.

Indy Star Curt Cavin blog from 02-02-09:

"Question: After reading of the 300 layoffs planed by the L.A. Times, I'm concerned that our own paper may soon be following suit. As much as any jobs are sucure now, are you concerned about the future of the Indianapolis Star and your own job in particular? Do you feel that the long-term health of the paper is OK? (Alan, Mooresville, Ind.)

Answer: My answer to this is simple: I try to worry about the things in life that I can control, and this is not one of them. I'm done many smart things financially to put myself in position for such a situation (and others), and I've always felt that if someone decides I'm not needed in this position, I'll do something else with my career. As for newspapers in general, yes, it's a very difficult period and we might actually be seeing the complete demise of the printed form. But I feel that news organizations like ours, journalists and writers will always be needed in some form. Someone still has to produce all the content for the Internet, for example. It should be noted that we're doing very well with indystar.com and overall market penetration."

Brian

#722 Locai

Locai
  • Member

  • 1,952 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 17:48

Originally posted by Keir
It would be a good move to get Michael away from Marco, but not to Danica's car. Michael's approach does not meld well with either Danica or Marco. Hideki might be the best option.


I can only assume that your reasoning for Hideki being the best option for Michael is that Hideki's english isn't very good so that he will not understand/obey much of Michael's direction?  ;)

#723 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:21

DishNetwork fans get the screws?

http://paddocktalk.c....pic=1&catid=12

More money to access the IRL season.

I have DishNetwork - now you will know I am not watching :lol:

#724 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:23

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII


I think Milka Duno would have been better in the 'enhanced' spot.
;)


Oh got yes... Something constructive finally :up:

#725 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:24

Originally posted by B Squared
"Cavin is a complete shill. There's more objectivity in this thead then what Cavin puts on paper.

Remember - he'd be out of a job if there was no OW more less." aportinga

Funny, Cavin addressed that very issue yesterday. I've always found him to be a decent, honorable individual with integrity. Not everyone in my life is a PoS lying B-----D, too bad so many others seem to be bathed in negativity and mistrust. I don't wear rose colored glasses, but surely people can be fairly judged apart from their job duties. If he has been a "complete shill", he would have lost his job long ago. Intelligent people tend to notice years of being lied to on a daily basis in the newspaper, or to one's face.

Indy Star Curt Cavin blog from 02-02-09:

"Question: After reading of the 300 layoffs planed by the L.A. Times, I'm concerned that our own paper may soon be following suit. As much as any jobs are sucure now, are you concerned about the future of the Indianapolis Star and your own job in particular? Do you feel that the long-term health of the paper is OK? (Alan, Mooresville, Ind.)

Answer: My answer to this is simple: I try to worry about the things in life that I can control, and this is not one of them. I'm done many smart things financially to put myself in position for such a situation (and others), and I've always felt that if someone decides I'm not needed in this position, I'll do something else with my career. As for newspapers in general, yes, it's a very difficult period and we might actually be seeing the complete demise of the printed form. But I feel that news organizations like ours, journalists and writers will always be needed in some form. Someone still has to produce all the content for the Internet, for example. It should be noted that we're doing very well with indystar.com and overall market penetration."

Brian


I was not questioning his character as a person - just the reasoning as to why he's so gleefully thrilled about the series.

#726 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck
  • Member

  • 2,517 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:25

Originally posted by aportinga
DishNetwork fans get the screws?

http://paddocktalk.c....pic=1&catid=12

More money to access the IRL season.

I have DishNetwork - now you will know I am not watching :lol:


The link didn;t work

anybody see this:
Five companies still in engine talks
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/73113

Seems that Porsche, Audi, & Fiat (among others) are still potentially interested. Good sign.

CC

#727 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,549 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:28

Ill go with Honda, VW, and Fiat.

#728 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,289 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:45

Originally posted by aportinga
Cavin is a complete shill.

* * *

I was not questioning his character as a person - just the reasoning as to why he's so gleefully thrilled about the series.



Thanks for the clarification--I'm dumbfounded about how that could have been construed as an attack on Cavin's character. :rolleyes:

Remember, it's think, then type. When necessary, repeat.


Cavin writes frequently, seems good about his use of sources, and admits his mistakes. Frankly, I'm not sure who you are or where your information (demise of Conquest, AGR having 2 cars in 2010) comes from. Why don't you enlighten us?

#729 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,289 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:47

Originally posted by B Squared
I've always found him [Cavin] to be a decent, honorable individual with integrity. Not everyone in my life is a PoS lying B-----D, too bad so many others seem to be bathed in negativity and mistrust. I don't wear rose colored glasses, but surely people can be fairly judged apart from their job duties. If he has been a "complete shill", he would have lost his job long ago. Intelligent people tend to notice years of being lied to on a daily basis in the newspaper, or to one's face.


:up:

#730 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:58

Originally posted by red stick



Thanks for the clarification--I'm dumbfounded about how that could have been construed as an attack on Cavin's character. :rolleyes:

Remember, it's think, then type. When necessary, repeat.


Cavin writes frequently, seems good about his use of sources, and admits his mistakes. Frankly, I'm not sure who you are or where your information (demise of Conquest, AGR having 2 cars in 2010) comes from. Why don't you enlighten us?


I never associated a negative conotation for "shill" when that describes the very basis of his job. Seems common sense too me.

That's his work - how he puts food on the table. It's not like he's selling drugs. Thus I have no problem with the person - just his opinion when it's not taken for what it is worth.

#731 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 18:59

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Ill go with Honda, VW, and Fiat.


You're 1/3 correct.

#732 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 19:02

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck


The link didn;t work

anybody see this:
Five companies still in engine talks
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/73113

Seems that Porsche, Audi, & Fiat (among others) are still potentially interested. Good sign.

CC


Porsche issued a statement already - they are out. Why would FIAT be involved when the only mark which qualifies this rumour is Alfa too which Robin Miller has already stated he all but made that up.

As far as I am concerned... Most non US poblications are not going to dedicate a single source - or even multiple sources to the IRL when really only Cavin and Miller are the only 2 AMERICAN sources here. I would bet that a good deal of what is broadcasted in Europe is re-hash of what comes from ESPN, IndyStar and SPEED.

Afterall it would not be the first time this has happened - and certainly NOT limited to racing.

#733 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,289 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 19:11

Originally posted by aportinga
I never associated a negative conotation for "shill" when that describes the very basis of his job. Seems common sense too me.

That's his work - how he puts food on the table. It's not like he's selling drugs. Thus I have no problem with the person - just his opinion when it's not taken for what it is worth.


A "shill" is a promoter or salesman.

Cavin is a journalist.

A shill's job is to sell you something.

A journalist's job is to report his findings after checking with various sources or available information. In his blog, Cavin admits to using information that would not necessarily qualify for publication in the paper. Nevertheless, he frequently sources the info in his blog as well, journalistic habits being what they are.

IndyCar's director of marketing is a shill. See the difference? Because in my world, using shill to describe anyone other than a salesman is most certainly derogatory.

Any I'll ask again, who are you, and where are you getting your information? Because if you're just using a crystal ball, it needs polishing.

#734 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 19:23

Originally posted by red stick


A "shill" is a promoter or salesman.

Cavin is a journalist.

A shill's job is to sell you something.

Any I'll ask again, who are you, and where are you getting your information? Because if you're just using a crystal ball, it needs polishing.


Cavin is selling - if you cannot see that then I am sorry...

As far as your second question - I get my information from plenty of places on the web - for the last 11 years. You can find it as well if you are objectionable enough to part take in conversation from both sides of the fence... Between the two there are plenty of folks who have a consistant record of reporting information - far more then Cavin for sure.

Remember that Cavin works for the IndyStar - you do know where I am going?

But you don't have to believe me at all - I really don't care.

#735 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,289 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 20:19

I don't know about "objectionable," but I try to be objective. In my business the difference between evidence and opinion is fairly clear. Not so sure about yours.

#736 B Squared

B Squared
  • Member

  • 3,189 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 03 February 2009 - 20:32

Shill - "a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating" Random House College Dictionary

I've been around classic car & collector car auctions all of my adult life. I have many reputable friends who make their living through this business. I've heard them describe other participants with the word "shill". It has never been in a positive light.

I really don't think that Curt Cavin, on a newspaperman's salary, is going to take on this task on his own. Nor do I suspect that the hierarchy of the IndyCar series is paying him off to say what they want, so he can sell it to the suckers out there. I think that he would refuse this monumental task. For if caught in such a scheme, his credibility would be destroyed as would his chances of continuing in his chosen profession.

Excuse me, I must go now, the black helicopters are shaking my tin foil hat, and I'm losing sight of the keyboard. :rolleyes:

Brian

#737 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 21:20

Originally posted by red stick
I don't know about "objectionable," but I try to be objective. In my business the difference between evidence and opinion is fairly clear. Not so sure about yours.


You bet - when have I ever stated that what I post is fact???

YOU can take it for what it's worth. If you think I am off then deal with it as a perspective based on a fans experience of over 20 years - there's value in that as far as I am concerned.

If you disagree then set up a paypal put your money where your mouth is.

#738 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 21:23

Originally posted by B Squared
Shill - "a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating" Random House College Dictionary

I've been around classic car & collector car auctions all of my adult life. I have many reputable friends who make their living through this business. I've heard them describe other participants with the word "shill". It has never been in a positive light.

I really don't think that Curt Cavin, on a newspaperman's salary, is going to take on this task on his own. Nor do I suspect that the hierarchy of the IndyCar series is paying him off to say what they want, so he can sell it to the suckers out there. I think that he would refuse this monumental task. For if caught in such a scheme, his credibility would be destroyed as would his chances of continuing in his chosen profession.

Excuse me, I must go now, the black helicopters are shaking my tin foil hat, and I'm losing sight of the keyboard. :rolleyes:

Brian


I guess we won't be discussing then - ownership of the publication and the historical fact that Miller was soundly fired when he drew the line in the sand in favor of CART years ago...

Hmm - who bought IndyStar???

#739 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,289 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 21:35

Originally posted by aportinga
You bet - when have I ever stated that what I post is fact???


Well, I assume that when you post on the demise of Conquest Racing, or that AGR will only have two cars in 2010, you're basing that on something other than . . . wishful thinking. If they are opinions, or guesses, or wild speculation, it's helpful to the rest of us when they are clearly labeled as such. Otherwise those of us in the reality-based IndyCar community are wondering why we haven't seen that in any of our sources.

This exchange has been helpful:

1. You prefer to remain anonymous.
2. You get info from a variety of web-based sources, which you won't disclose and, for all we know, are filled with persons as fact-obsessed as you;
3. You've never supposed that anyone would take what you post as factual; and
4. You don't know what a shill is.

The vomiting clown avatar isn't a joke, it's descriptive.

Advertisement

#740 aportinga

aportinga
  • Member

  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 21:56

Awesome :up:

We'll revisit my comments when the season starts - how bout we leave it at that.

#741 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,289 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 22:14

No, no, thank you. Now I know where you're coming from.

For you the forum is like the world's largest bar and we're all "just talking."

Some of us more out of our hat than others.

You buy the next round.  ;)

#742 917k

917k
  • Member

  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 03 February 2009 - 23:22

Aport has spent the last few months dedicating his life to the demise of the ICS, through incessant negativity.

Hell, I did it with CC, and look how effective that was! :lol:

Happy hunting Aport!

#743 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII
  • Member

  • 5,337 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 03 February 2009 - 23:34

Originally posted by red stick
I don't know about "objectionable," but I try to be objective. In my business the difference between evidence and opinion is fairly clear. Not so sure about yours.


I had no idea this was a business, I thought this was a forum, and I have yet to see you judge the irl objectively.
If you looked at the irl objectively (i.e. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices) you would see that the irl is a failure as a business, and has been for years, propped up by a control freak with untold millions of dollars.
keep trying to be objective, you might get there eventually

#744 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,289 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 04 February 2009 - 00:23

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII
. . . I have yet to see you judge the irl objectively.


Objectively means something other than seeing things the way you see them.


In any event, the play there was on the word "objectionable," a more revealing slip of the keyboard than I think Aportinga realizes.

#745 Risil

Risil
  • Member

  • 14,135 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:29

Originally posted by aportinga


Porsche issued a statement already - they are out. Why would FIAT be involved when the only mark which qualifies this rumour is Alfa too which Robin Miller has already stated he all but made that up.

As far as I am concerned... Most non US poblications are not going to dedicate a single source - or even multiple sources to the IRL when really only Cavin and Miller are the only 2 AMERICAN sources here. I would bet that a good deal of what is broadcasted in Europe is re-hash of what comes from ESPN, IndyStar and SPEED.

Afterall it would not be the first time this has happened - and certainly NOT limited to racing.


There's a quite directly from FIAT in the article -- their head of engine development put out this statement: "Working in concert with my peers to help define the next generation of IndyCars has been an enlightening and productive process that will likely have positive connections to other global motorsports."

What is clear is that the IRL -- in its position, popularity, and circumstances -- is not in a position to unilaterally dictate its technical regulations, a la Formula One, or CART in 2001, heh. It must do the old-fashioned, F5000 thing, and build the series based on where the demand for engines is. It may not be ideal, but it is the first step for Indycar to become a self-sufficient, dignified, real racing series. And it won't hurt IMSA, either.

Shame about Dallara, though -- it's difficult to look at their exclusivity deal without becoming somewhat cynical. And if they're looking at LMP2 engines for 2011, that's a ~100bhp drop on the already crappy Hondas they have now, right? They'll have to make the mother of all grip reductions to stop this from turning into Indy Lights.

#746 Meanstreak

Meanstreak
  • Member

  • 443 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:45

Originally posted by Risil
And if they're looking at LMP2 engines for 2011, that's a ~100bhp drop on the already crappy Hondas they have now, right? They'll have to make the mother of all grip reductions to stop this from turning into Indy Lights.

Remember, restrictor and boost pressure tables are choking the LMP2 engines to around 500-550 hp. All of the engines, but of course only the 2.0L turbos are possibly relevant to 2011 IRL.

#747 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,549 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:56

http://auto-racing.s...n-hass-lanigan/


.....huh

#748 JACoz

JACoz
  • Member

  • 43 posts
  • Joined: January 07

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:23

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
http://auto-racing.s...n-hass-lanigan/


.....huh


Duno gets a ride (in a top team too) while Justin Wilson & Paul Tracy have nothing...What a farce :down:

#749 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller
  • Member

  • 4,089 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:33

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
http://auto-racing.s...n-hass-lanigan/


.....huh

I hope Robin Miller was tripping when he wrote this.

#750 ajcrean

ajcrean
  • Member

  • 259 posts
  • Joined: May 01

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:33

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
http://auto-racing.s...n-hass-lanigan/


.....huh


If this doesn't illustrate how truly dismal things have become, nothing does... ...assuming, of course, that it's true...