IndyCar 2009 (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1624 replies to this topic

#951 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 17:09

Originally posted by wewantourdarbyback
I think you missed the question of what Justin Wilson will be doing this year off your list RS.

It's by way of example, and by no means exhaustive . . .

Advertisement

#952 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 17:13

Originally posted by shaggy

But .... you are the one who is constantly questioning the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with you :confused:
Some call others rude names. Some rudely question other's intelligence. Same difference.

Not me. Check the record. If you are polite and keep it civil I will treat you the same way.

As I see it, the only approach to OW racing that makes sense is to stay objective and optimistic.

I mean "optimistic" in the sense of honestly hoping for the best for the sport -- instead of trying to put maximum negative spin on every single bit of news as some here do. They are not here to talk racing; they are just here to rip on the series or vent their hatred for Tony George. It's tiresome and transparent and I honestly don't know why people waste their time at all that. You would think they have something better to do.

I mean "objective" in the sense of being realistic. For example, some guys want to change half the schedule overnight, completely oblivious to the huge costs involved, or whether the events would actually be successful or profitable. And while they are dreaming up these totally naive and unrealistic plans they are slamming on series management for not understanding the business. Ironic doesn't quite describe it.

#953 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 17:31

Originally posted by McGuire

You would think they have something better to do.

And while they are dreaming up these totally naive and unrealistic plans they are slamming on series management for not understanding the business.

Yeah, I suppose I could watch Oprah.
I don't really 'watch' the irl, I merely follow it out of amusement, same as following the latest travails of Britney or Brad Pitt. Except that the irl is a much more obscure trainwreck in action than either of those celibrities.

Being 'objective' would mean being able to admit to oneselve that current irl management does not, and has not been able to understand the business they are in, which seems to be painfully obvious to all but a few, like yourself for instance.
If they were realistic, and you were realistic, you wouldn't be tooting their horn and excusing past offences and promoting new ones, and they would be rolling in cash and at the level of recognition NASCAR or F1 is.

#954 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,529 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 18:01

Originally posted by red stick

Agreed. Rahal's also seen all the tracks now and N/H/L should have a little better idea on setup.

I think we'll see another year of seeing how Rahal is actually just a bit above average, but nothing special. I believe his name has carried him a good way, and even Justin Wilson, in his first year in the team, showed he was a league above Rahal in terms of speed.

And sorry to ask, as I'm sure its been covered, I just cant be bothered to search through the miles of bickering and insulting melodramatic crap in this thread, but what's the deal on the Doornbos to Newman/Haas rumors? Cuz frankly, without him, that team is doomed if all they have is Rahal and Duno.

#955 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 18:33

I wish I knew more about this. If Wikipedia can be trusted, Haas turns 79 on February 26. Anybody have a clue about the "succession" arrangements at NHL?

McGuire, have you anything to offer on this question?

#956 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 18:37

And if you've got the time and interest, the Glenn Curtiss Museum in nearby Hammondsport is fascinating. It holds not only a nice selection of his aircraft, but some early racing motorbikes on which he competed for speed records on the beach at Daytona. You can't look at the items in the museum and not think that this was a BRAVE man.

Yep, the museum is a must-see, and only one or two exits west of Corning. Glenn Curtiss was not only a brave racer but one of the pioneers of American aviation, second only to (if not equal to) the Wright brothers. The motorcycle on display (the one that did 137 mph at Ormond Beach in 1907, making him the fastest man on land for a brief time) is a replica, but still well worth seeing.

The museum personnel are really enjoyable to talk to as well... naturally, they are Curtiss partisans in the whole Wright vs. Curtiss debate but they have a fun approach to it. Check out the T-shirts in the gift shop.

#957 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 18:43

Originally posted by TheHumanPromise
And sorry to ask, as I'm sure its been covered, I just cant be bothered to search through the miles of bickering and insulting melodramatic crap in this thread, but what's the deal on the Doornbos to Newman/Haas rumors? Cuz frankly, without him, that team is doomed if all they have is Rahal and Duno.

Rumored, very likely even, but not yet officially confirmed.

#958 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 18:49

. . . naturally, they are Curtiss partisans in the whole Wright vs. Curtiss debate but they have a fun approach to it. Check out the T-shirts in the gift shop.

I have one of those and wear it proudly--ad for the museum on the front, and the graphic "Wilbur and Orville Who?" on the back. Thanks for the correction on the motorcycle. IIRC, the cycle is labeled a replica, but still impressive. Can't imagine taking it to 137 on the Bonneville salt flats, let alone . . .

#959 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 18:50

McGuire, have you anything to offer on this question?

Not really except that I expect Carl to outlive everyone.

Advertisement

#960 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,549 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 18:59

That might actually be the business model.

#961 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 19:02

I suppose they're aware that hope is not a plan.

Brian's question, as I understood it, was related to the depth/breadth of Lanigan's involvement. Any insights?

And it may have escaped your notice that we're in the thirteenth hour of an attempt at a cease fire, which frankly, is twelve and a half hours longer than I originally expected. Obviously, such an attempt requires the cooperation of certain parties, including you McGuire. This is not to disparage your character, but merely to point out that you, for whatever reason, are one of the thread's lightning rods.

Whitewater, for one, has graciously, and if for no other reason than that it humors him, agreed to abide for the time being.

Assuming no untoward events that require you to defend your honor, and understanding that dueling is now illegal in all fifty states and Great Britain, can I count on your, if not cooperation, then resigned acquiescence?

#962 Keir

Keir

• 5,226 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 21:14

Newman/Haas/ etc, etc have made the only prudent move for them by bringing in a paying driver or one who is attached to a pot of gold.

I don't know enough about Lanigan to offer an opinion as to what he can and will do. Haas, on the other hand, will keep himself in the game so long as he doesn't go broke. The heel dragging days in the CCWS really screwed the team over. Bourdais was the winner in that debacle.

#963 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 21:31

And it may have escaped your notice that we're in the thirteenth hour of an attempt at a cease fire, which frankly, is twelve and a half hours longer than I originally expected. Obviously, such an attempt requires the cooperation of certain parties, including you McGuire. This is not to disparage your character, but merely to point out that you, for whatever reason, are one of the thread's lightning rods.

Whitewater, for one, has graciously, and if for no other reason than that it humors him, agreed to abide for the time being.

Assuming no untoward events that require you to defend your honor, and understanding that dueling is now illegal in all fifty states and Great Britain, can I count on your, if not cooperation, then resigned acquiescence?

What "cease-fire" is that? See post 953. The last time I looked WWII was still directing his blather at me personally instead of at OW racing, and I was letting it slide. "Resigned acquiesence?" It takes more than that just to open this thread.

I am a "lightning rod" here only because a few people think they own the dialog. They don't. These people are not here to discuss OW racing. They are here to ridicule, drown out, and stifle any discussion of OW racing. Read their posts, for crying out loud. They have already told you that. I am here to talk OW racing. All I can say is if you are polite, I will be polite to you. And at the moment you are not being polite to me, but I will let that slide too.

However: By butting in this way, you have also now made it far more difficult for this thread to ever achieve the level of intelligent or friendly discussion. You haven't seen that yet, but you will. Go ahead, leave the floor to them and see what happens. These people have been doing this for over a dozen years now. They have put entire forums out of business with their routine. These people are an Internet meme in their own right, a greater scourge to automotive message boards than Franklin Ratliff. And you think it will end with your "cease-fire" that never happened? Good luck with all that.

#964 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 21:51

Reminds me of "the former Leo Mehl" as he became to be known during his time employed by the IRL. After a long distinguished career with Goodyear, Leo took a job as a shill for the IRL and his credibility plummeted to the level of Baghdad Bob. At one point about a decade ago at a press conference he became exasperated that nobody was buying his IRL drivel and he said (paraphrasing but very close) "Look we are just trying to start a little racing series here. I don't understand all this animosity."

Today's IRL shills like McGuire are the same whether he is paid for trying to distort history or not. They blame a small cadre of internet "soreheads" as he has labeled them for destroying forums and taking the sport to its knees. None of these mental lightweights can comprehend millions of fans did not leave the sport to the cesspool it is today due to internet forums. They left the sport due to the putrid entertainment value the IRL turned the sport into and in protest of the actions of Tony George.

To the McGuire shills everybody is to blame but Tony George. I am not going to waste my time going back and finding all the insults to non-TG bootlickers McGuire has spread on this forum over the years, not polite debate but unprovoked attacks on anybody who criticizes the actions of Tony George or the IRL. But I will if provoked. He is as big a hypocrite saying "All I can say is if you are polite, I will be polite to you." as he is a fool and con man.

#965 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 22:00

. . . "Resigned acquiesence?" It takes more than that just to open this thread.

I know.

I've read the posts.

We've all read the posts.

And I'm truly sorry to have offended. I don't know you, or those you speak of, personally, but only through this forum. Thank you for agreeing that intelligent and friendly discussion is our goal, and trust that many support that aim.

#966 Keir

Keir

• 5,226 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 22:02

Red Stick,

Lock the thread. It's as simple as that.

Buford/McGuire et al, will never relent. The thread is crap. Put it and them to pasture.

#967 sblick

sblick

• 486 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 22:15

I am hoping on some level Rahal and Andretti have a few battles at the front of the field and are contenders for the Drivers Championship. A couple of Americans at the front would do wonders for the series.

#968 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 23:06

Originally posted by Keir
Red Stick,

Lock the thread. It's as simple as that.

Buford/McGuire et al, will never relent. The thread is crap. Put it and them to pasture.

Not likely. Though I'll agree with you that setting the bar low is the easiest way over the hurdle.

Living as I do in NASCAR country, open wheel fans are few and far between. The chance to speak to fellow fans, trade information, discuss the goings-on, remember past races, and joke with each other are too precious to give up so easily. The feud goes back far earlier than 1995. Know your open wheel history. It will not be ended in a day, a weekend, this year, or perhaps this decade. Old habits die hard. But die they do. And since, as many have pointed out, no one outside our community cares about us, it is up to us in the IndyCar community to put a stake in it.

Your suggestion is too easy Keir. I can be stubborn too. And I doubt I'm alone.

And by the way, would you care to join us?

#969 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 23:08

Originally posted by sblick
I am hoping on some level Rahal and Andretti have a few battles at the front of the field and are contenders for the Drivers Championship. A couple of Americans at the front would do wonders for the series.

Agreed. Doubt it will be this year, but I hope we can look forward to many battles in the years to come.

#970 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 23:11

However: By butting in this way, you have also now made it far more difficult for this thread to ever achieve the level of intelligent or friendly discussion. You haven't seen that yet, but you will.

I think my "butting in" is consistent with your aim of friendly and intelligent discussion. But I've been wrong before. :)

#971 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 23:34

Originally posted by Slyder

Care to show us your personal CV, and maybe then we'll take you seriously...

so having a respectable cv makes it okay to be a prick?

CC

#972 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 23:39

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck

Only if you are McGuire.
;)

#973 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 23:47

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck

CC

Actually in the racing world it does. The theory of the pompous ass. You can be any kind of prick you want to be as long as you have earned it. Examples A.J . Foyt, Bernie E., Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart etc. Nobody doesn't like you in the racing world if you are a pompous ass as long as you have earned it on merit. How can they? They are all pompous asses too and fully understand. Its when you are perceived not to have earned it (Salt Walther, Danica Patrick etc) where you get in trouble. You can't be a pompous ass in the racing world unless you have done something.

#974 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 23:57

I think my "butting in" is consistent with your aim of friendly and intelligent discussion. But I've been wrong before. :)

We'll see. I would like nothing better than to be proven wrong and see these guys change their ways. Doesn't look too good so far though. :D

#975 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 00:01

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII

Only if you are McGuire.
;)

Yeah, that was the clever answer. Felt good typing it, I bet. And proved him right. Which helps you how? How clever is that?

#976 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 00:04

I would like nothing better than to be proven wrong and see these guys change their ways. Doesn't look too good so far though. :D

Change may be too high a goal for any of us. But as I told Keir, setting the bar low hasn't been all that useful either. Marginalization . . .?

What's the difference between an argument and a voice crying in the wilderness? A reply.

#977 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 00:05

Originally posted by sblick

I think both are the real deal, but both are struggling with the same problem in that they were brought up too early... so they get to do their seasoning out in front of everybody. In their defense, their Dad/career managers both say they can handle it. I think the Rahal vs. Andretti 2.0 story could come to the forefront at Indy. If they are both running good in practice and qualifying I'm sure TV and the print media will be all over it, beating the drum. Hey, Marco almost won the damn thing a few years ago.

#978 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 00:11

Only if you are McGuire.
;)

Dogs, children, and little old ladies absolutely adore me, without exception. When I walk through the park the little creatures of the forest all come out to greet me, while the birds alight upon my shoulders and sing to me. So what your f**king problem is I have no idea. :D

#979 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 00:32

Not me. Check the record. If you are polite and keep it civil I will treat you the same way.

As I see it, the only approach to OW racing that makes sense is to stay objective and optimistic.

I mean "optimistic" in the sense of honestly hoping for the best for the sport -- instead of trying to put maximum negative spin on every single bit of news as some here do. They are not here to talk racing; they are just here to rip on the series or vent their hatred for Tony George. It's tiresome and transparent and I honestly don't know why people waste their time at all that. You would think they have something better to do.

I mean "objective" in the sense of being realistic. For example, some guys want to change half the schedule overnight, completely oblivious to the huge costs involved, or whether the events would actually be successful or profitable. And while they are dreaming up these totally naive and unrealistic plans they are slamming on series management for not understanding the business. Ironic doesn't quite describe it.

C'mon. Be real. You are not fooling anyone, ok ?
Every CC thread was hijacked by your like, and turned into a "we hope for CC's demise" taunt or some ridicule of everything KK tried to do. Now, that CC is dead, those same people clamor for "intelligent" threads regarding Indy :rolleyes:

Realistic ? Isn't 13 years enough ? Even a President is given no more than 8 years to prove his worth !

Some do hope for the best for the sport; but the "best" requires changes, and that TG gives up control. If TG cared about OW, he'd do it. Now, if he does not want to give in, millions of fans also refuse to give in. TG made the worst mistake ever : he lost his regular customers ... and he has no idea how to make new ones.

Is it ironic to call for the death of CART, and then to resurrect it with CART II ? How would you describe that ?

Once again, this last post reveals your true nature and your double standard. There is no desire for intelligent conversation, at all.

TG killed CART, so that Justin Wilson would be replaced by Dunno at NHL. What ??????? And you still refuse to admit that something has gone deadly wrong ... incredible !

shaggy

Advertisement

#980 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:23

Yeah, that was the clever answer. Felt good typing it, I bet. And proved him right. Which helps you how? How clever is that?

Hey, I was sticking with the humor thing.
Guess on this topic it's disallowed.

I'm long past being offended on any forum.
So far McGuire has threatened to kick another posters ass and now I have a "f**king problem'
Your mileage may vary, but those are the kind of posters who should be pretty careful about wishing for 'freindly and intelligent discussion' when they have failed to do so themselves.
Thanks for the effort to get this back to USOW, and I personally didn't take it as butting in.
Perhaps the rest of us should just leave this thread, so you, Keir and Mcguire can have it to yourselves, what the core fan base of USOW of the successful past thinks no longer matters.
:wave:

#981 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:10

Hey, I was sticking with the humor thing.
Guess on this topic it's disallowed.

I'm long past being offended on any forum.
So far McGuire has threatened to kick another posters ass and now I have a "f**king problem'
Your mileage may vary, but those are the kind of posters who should be pretty careful about wishing for 'freindly and intelligent discussion' when they have failed to do so themselves.
Thanks for the effort to get this back to USOW, and I personally didn't take it as butting in.
Perhaps the rest of us should just leave this thread, so you, Keir and Mcguire can have it to yourselves, what the core fan base of USOW of the successful past thinks no longer matters.
:wave:

No, no, settle down, it seems I lack the background to appreciate the humor. This has been enlightening.

I, for one, only vaaaaaguely realized you guys have been following each other from thread to thread literally for years, and keeping score. So it's unsettling for the likes of me to discover we've wandered into the motorsports version of Kashmir, where every slight or perceived slight for generations has been noted and burned into memory; and undoubtedly equally unsettling for the likes of you to discover people who think that the past is history, something to be remembered, mulled over, placed in context, and eventually moved on from.

So to you, and McGuire, (and presumably shaggy and Buford) I'm very much "butting in" in the classic sense; I'm the interloper in an ongoing, for lack of a better and less loaded term, feud. For me, believe me, it's not that the past is unimportant. We all lost countless years of priceless auto racing we're not getting back. The difference is that some of us accept, again for lack of a better word, that we can't change that and believe that a merged USOW is better than nothing. Some evidently would prefer nothing, or have moved on to ALMS, Grand-Am, NASCAR, etc. in every sense except posting on this thread. I have no desire to lose anybody's input. If you really appreciate the effort to return this thread to the current day, contribute. I don't learn anything discussing matters with people who agree with me. But I also believe that some subjects in USOW have, for all practical purposes, become akin to religion and politics. No minds will be changed,and no reasoned discussion is possible. So we should discuss what we can, and leave the dogma to the motorsports theologians. :)

So, where do you stand on the Franchitti question? Lost his drive, or hungry and dangerous?

#982 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:21

So, where do you stand on the Franchitti question? Lost his drive, or hungry and dangerous?

I'll always be partial to Franchitti if for nothing else than the true emotion he showed me the day his friend Greg Moore died. At the end of the race, and he knew Greg was dead, he climbed from the car, waved aside everyone and went to the back of the car and sat on the rear for at least a minute, head in hands, and then walked away by himself. No one approached him. Aside from Greg's death, that was one of the moments that confirmed to this fan what a lonely, and hard job it is to be a race driver.
Now, I wish he'd just hang it up and head to his farm. He's had more than his share of bad moments, and I'd hate to see him have any more.
BTW,quickest cars in the world on the ESPN right now.

#983 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:12

I hadn't thought about it for quite awhile, but before the AGR pairing of the four amigos, Franchitti, Kanaan, Wheldon, and Herta, there was Franchitti, Kanaan, Moore, and . . . Herta?

One of my more cherished racing items is an autographed ticket stub signed by Moore the day after he won the pole at, I want to say, the first CART Houston Grand Prix in 1998. He was standing in the paddock, which was located inside the Houston Convention Center, looking about as pleased as a guy could be, with a comment for every fan who approached. As a Penske fan I was thrilled when he and de Ferran were chosen to lead the team back to prominence. He's missed.

#984 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:28

I'll always be partial to Franchitti if for nothing else than the true emotion he showed me the day his friend Greg Moore died. At the end of the race, and he knew Greg was dead, he climbed from the car, waved aside everyone and went to the back of the car and sat on the rear for at least a minute, head in hands, and then walked away by himself. No one approached him. Aside from Greg's death, that was one of the moments that confirmed to this fan what a lonely, and hard job it is to be a race driver.
Now, I wish he'd just hang it up and head to his farm. He's had more than his share of bad moments, and I'd hate to see him have any more.
BTW,quickest cars in the world on the ESPN right now.

Actually, I think he lost his spark after that big crash, during testing at Homestead, the year after he lost the championship to Montoya. He was never the same after that.
He is very smooth .. but, I think he lacks that killing nature to go for the win .... similar to Vasser. They just don't seem to push that extra second needed to make it or brake it. Paul Tracy has too much of it; he cannot control it, but, at least, he has it.

#985 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,549 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:51

http://gordonkirby.c...t_is_no170.html

Read it. Hell read everything he puts out weekly.

Don't pick it apart, just absorb it.

#986 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,033 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:11

Anyone seen this?

http://www.liveautographs.com/

It's some business thing where celebraties do personalised video messages whilist signing a poster, memorabilia or whatever, charging obscene prices for the privilege. Anyway Danica Patrick is part of it.

http://www.liveautog...experience.aspx

Some on youtube have uploaded their personalised videos for everyone to see but no Patrick ones yet, mostly Hulk Hogan or Williams Shatner. I recommended having a look at the Shatner ones. He mostly ignores the message he's suppose to say and just insults people most of the time. :lol: :lol:

I doubt Patricks will be entertaining unless she includes a hissy fit or something.

#987 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:12

We'll see, but I think he'll be fine. Starting from scratch in NASCAR at age 34 and continuing in OW, where he has a ton of experience and success, involve two totally different motivation/aggression levels. Here he can use his racecraft and experience to good effect. Should be very interesting, especially alongside Dixon. They battled for the 2007 title and now they are on the same team. Dixon is in his absolute prime and Dario will be challenged to perform.

#988 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,796 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 14:56

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Plenty of time for F1 to manuvour itself into a better position to take on these manufactures :up:

:Some: Rumblings that PKV has closed shop this weekend ---- I have nothing but baseless lies to back that up.

#989 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,189 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 14:57

"I hadn't thought about it for quite awhile, but before the AGR pairing of the four amigos, Franchitti, Kanaan, Wheldon, and Herta, there was Franchitti, Kanaan, Moore, and . . . Herta?" red stick

In the 1999 Racer magazine Champ Car Season Preview; Franchitti, Moore, Kanaan, Richie Hearn, and Max Papis were portrayed , in a page 86 article, as being a modern day "Rat Pack". ie Sinatra, Martin, Lawford, Davis Jr., Bishop. It is claimed they were also known as the "Brat Pack". Cheeky comments such as , "Max carries a big lens wherever he goes," accompanying the article. They were also called CART's "young guns". I think NASCAR may have picked up on that one.

Brian

#990 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 15:18

Originally posted by B Squared
"I hadn't thought about it for quite awhile, but before the AGR pairing of the four amigos, Franchitti, Kanaan, Wheldon, and Herta, there was Franchitti, Kanaan, Moore, and . . . Herta?" red stick

In the 1999 Racer magazine Champ Car Season Preview; Franchitti, Moore, Kanaan, Richie Hearn, and Max Papis were portrayed , in a page 86 article, as being a modern day "Rat Pack". ie Sinatra, Martin, Lawford, Davis Jr., Bishop. It is claimed they were also known as the "Brat Pack". Cheeky comments such as , "Max carries a big lens wherever he goes," accompanying the article. They were also called CART's "young guns". I think NASCAR may have picked up on that one.

Brian

Richie Hearn, now that was talented wasted. Chose to stay with Della Penna over a seat at Rahal. I want to say idiot, but I have never heard his reason.

#991 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 15:20

Originally posted by aportinga

Plenty of time for F1 to manuvour itself into a better position to take on these manufactures :up:

:Some: Rumblings that PKV has closed shop this weekend ---- I have nothing but baseless lies to back that up.

Which would be very ironic, seeing that Kevin Kalkhoven is the owner. Sold out Champ Car to Tony the Grate, and not even one year later, his team is gone.

#992 D82

D82

• 1,391 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 16:19

FOX Sports report that Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis will sponsor Sarah Fisher to promote their four-year 'motorsports engineering program.' Interesting.

I don't know if this can make Sarah race for the whole season though...

#993 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 16:56

Originally posted by D82
FOX Sports report that Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis will sponsor Sarah Fisher to promote their four-year 'motorsports engineering program.' Interesting.

I don't know if this can make Sarah race for the whole season though...

Maybe not, but presumably, they will send a check.

#994 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 16:59

Originally posted by aportinga

Maybe. Maybe not. F1's withdrawal from North America for Asia hasn't pleased several manufacturers. FIAT is purportedly interested in relaunching Alfa here. Not Bahrain.

And, as noted below, we're Audi's largest foreign market.

#995 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 17:01

He's a Monday morning staple. Perhaps American racing's most thoughtful current scribe.

#996 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 17:08

. We're Audi's largest market,

Can't quote this from anywhere but last interview I read with their CEO Germany was still their largest market with US in second.

#997 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 17:12

Originally posted by wewantourdarbyback

Can't quote this from anywhere but last interview I read with their CEO Germany was still their largest market with US in second.

Fixed it. Didn't look right. I meant, of course, largest foreign market. Thanks.

#998 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 17:19

Fixed it. Didn't look right. I meant, of course, largest foreign market. Thanks.

:up:

#999 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 17:46

Thanks for sharing.

CC

Advertisement

#1000 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,796 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 18:06

Maybe. Maybe not. F1's withdrawal from North America for Asia hasn't pleased several manufacturers. FIAT is purportedly interested in relaunching Alfa here. Not Bahrain.

And, as noted below, we're Audi's largest foreign market.

How do you know it's displeaased manufactures??? Those (Asia) are emerging markets. The States are a consistant that can pretty much only go down. That means we are a stream of revenue - not "new" revenue which is where these companies want to be.

If Audi wants in so bad why leave ALMS for Indy... The demographics could NOT be any different. How many gomers are going to buy Audi's - how many can afford them?