IndyCar 2009 (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1624 replies to this topic

#1201 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 17:09

Originally posted by red stick
It's testing. Different teams are trying to do different things.

I just think that his career is hanging on by a string by going to a team like Dayle Coyne. I mean, I expect them to be near the back, but the team has a year's experience in Indy, and so does Wilson. You'd think that they wouldn't be so far off considering its the exact same car as before.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Advertisement

#1202 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 17:23

I hope that things work for the possible Wilson/ Coyne association. Somehow, mainly through hard work and perseverance, Dale Coyne has found a way to be in this sport since 1984 as a driver/ entrant at Mid Ohio. He was always underfunded, always slow, but he ignored the laughs and remarks and many years later is still an IndyCar owner. I highly commend him for that. Wilson seems to be a "never say die" type of individual also. I hope they can forge a strong bond and can throw down an occaisional surprise. Possibly show well enough to put himself back in contention for a better seat. I wish them well.

Brian

#1203 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,930 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 18:54

I think Bill Pappas will help Coyne move closer to the front of the field. Hiring people like him, da Matta, Servia, Junqueira, and potentially Wilson shows a growing commitment to have the team truly succeed rather than simply being there. I've enjoyed seeing them slowly claw their way forward over the years and hope that they'll continue progressing this year.

#1204 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,356 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 18:59

Originally posted by B Squared
I hope that things work for the possible Wilson/ Coyne association. Somehow, mainly through hard work and perseverance, Dale Coyne has found a way to be in this sport since 1984 as a driver/ entrant at Mid Ohio. He was always underfunded, always slow, but he ignored the laughs and remarks and many years later is still an IndyCar owner. I highly commend him for that. Wilson seems to be a "never say die" type of individual also. I hope they can forge a strong bond and can throw down an occaisional surprise. Possibly show well enough to put himself back in contention for a better seat. I wish them well.

Brian

Me too, TBH, I think this is the end of the road for both however.
My prediction is they will be field fillers at indy and that's all they can hope for.

#1205 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,275 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 17:45

For those interested, the new (2010) Chevrolet Camaro has been announced as the Pace Car for the 2009 Indianapolis 500, per this morning's Indy Star.

Brian

#1206 Docc

Docc

• 180 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:08

..hopefully......

#1207 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:44

Brian

Wilson put a mid-fielder/rear-ender team like Conquest at the front end of the grid when he first showed up in Champ Car, so I don't doubt for one second that through Wilson's talents and hard work, we may actually see a Dale Coyne car up front sooner or later.

#1208 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 22:21

Originally posted by Slyder
Wilson put a mid-fielder/rear-ender team like Conquest at the front end of the grid when he first showed up in Champ Car, so I don't doubt for one second that through Wilson's talents and hard work, we may actually see a Dale Coyne car up front sooner or later.

Add that Wilson has now seen the tracks, they have a new engineer who's had success elsewhere, Junqueira showed well with the team, turmoil at Penske, and the always under-the-surface possibility that the AGR camaraderie won't last, and who knows?

That's why they run the races.

#1209 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,798 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 22:11

Looks like Rahal Letterman is done...

http://www.rahal.com/

#1210 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 22:22

i just see no mention of IRL ? :

#1211 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,818 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 22:41

Originally posted by aportinga
Looks like Rahal Letterman is done...

http://www.rahal.com/

Domino *clack*

#1212 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 23:12

Originally posted by pingu666
i just see no mention of IRL ? :

That's the point--from the website all you know is they have an ALMS team--they may as well be Flying Lizard Motorsports or Dyson Racing.

#1213 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 23:51

That's the point--from the website all you know is they have an ALMS team--they may as well be Flying Lizard Motorsports or Dyson Racing.

But Flying Lizard and Dyson have two cars a piece running the full season. BMW can't even muster to fund two factory GT2 cars, even for just Sebring.

#1214 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,798 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 13:44

There are reports that the team has closed it's IRL operation - they are not necessarily coming from a "valued" source yet.

However the fact that the website offers no schedule and no information (anylonger) on the IRL program may lead us in that direction.

That being said I would not be surprised if the team shows up for Indy.

#1215 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 13:48

This isn't anything new, Rahal have been dead in the water as an IRL team for a while. Wasn't there a press release a few weeks ago?

#1216 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 21:50

Marco AndrettiMarco Andretti is expecting his A1GP experience from this winter to help him have his strongest season to date in the IndyCar Series.

The 21-year-old is preparing for his fourth season in IndyCar, and he has taken part in four A1GP events so far this winter for Team USA.

While he has endured mixed fortunes while representing his country, the Andretti Green driver is convinced that racing in A1GP has been worthwhile, and he hopes to do it again next season.

"No question, it's a huge benefit," Andretti told autosport.com. "It keeps you fit and race savvy as well. When you're in a race, a mistake that would be minute in testing can be huge.

"It keeps you really sharp, and I think that's great. I've never been so excited coming into a season."

Andretti says he has also benefited from working with his IndyCar engineers in A1GP, which should enable them to get up to speed easier when the season starts at St Petersburg on April 5.

"I'm fortunate to be able to work with my IndyCar engineers all winter," he added. "So hopefully we're going to hit the ground running. I have all the trust in the world in them putting some really good cars on the track for me this year."

Andretti, who was third quickest overall at last week's IndyCar test at Homestead, is scheduled to take part in one more A1GP race this season.

"The only one I can do right now is Portugal (on April 12), and we're on for that," he said. "It's in between the first two IndyCar races, so it's going to be busy, but I think that will be a good thing."

From autosport.com

#1217 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 22:32

If Marco does hit the ground running, and that teammate who declined the chance to race in A1GP struggles, as she is prone to do on road and street courses, well, won't those be interesting team meetings . . .

Especially since the first two races are street courses.

#1218 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 22:41

De Ferran expresses future interest in IndyCar:

2003 Indianapolis 500 winner Gil de Ferran returned to the cockpit of an Acura prototype in the American Le Mans Series last season for de Ferran Motorsports, which he owns. De Ferran will continue in that role this season and also is eyeing a possible return to the IndyCar Series, where he drove for Penske Racing in 2002 and 2003.

"I don't see me driving an IndyCar again, but this is all about the team, really," said de Ferran, who attended the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Centennial Era Gala in Indianapolis last week. "It's really not about me reliving the dream as a racing driver. That's not to say that I'm not enjoying driving the car, but the most important thing or my priority is making the team a success with me behind the cockpit or not.

"I would certainly like to grow the team and given my, to say the least, emotional ties with IndyCar racing, I would love to run an IndyCar at some point in the future."

http://www.indycar.c...?story_id=13256

And Robert Clarke is running his team now. Interesting.

#1219 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,275 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 13:27

From this mornings Indy Star. Jimmy Vasser has ended speculation that he may drive one of his own KV Racing machines in this year's Indy 500.

http://www.indystar....443/1004/SPORTS

Brian

Advertisement

#1220 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 16:13

Jimmy Vasser has ended speculation that he may drive one of his own KV Racing machines in this year's Indy 500.

Yeah, not a year for that kind of luxury. If this is his retirement from open wheel, he'll be remembered as an excellent teammate, a worthy champion, and a graceful competitor. Thanks JV!

Let's hope he can use the time to get Servia or Tracy into a car.

#1221 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 15:14

Speed's new columnist is Michael Cannon, race engineer. Some interesting insights:

http://auto-racing.s...homestead-view/

#1222 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,275 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:47

From Curt Cavin's Indy Star blog, two days ago.

March 11, 2009
Hunter-Reay: It seems like progress
Ryan Hunter-Reay is currently without a ride for the upcoming IndyCar Series, but that might not be for long.

The winner of last year's race at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International said he is talking with two existing teams, including one of his former teams, HVM Racing.

Hunter-Reay said the other is not Rahal Letterman Racing.

Meetings are planned for later this week and next.

"Nothing is imminent," he said today. "But it seems like progress."

The season begins April 5 in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Brian

#1223 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,798 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:54

If Marco does hit the ground running, and that teammate who declined the chance to race in A1GP struggles, as she is prone to do on road and street courses, well, won't those be interesting team meetings . . .

Especially since the first two races are street courses.

Mark it now - this is Danica's last season in the series.

#1224 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,798 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:54

Speed's new columnist is Michael Cannon, race engineer. Some interesting insights:

http://auto-racing.s...homestead-view/

Tripe?

#1225 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,859 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:13

Do you have a specific objection or just don't like him?

#1226 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,798 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 15:32

Do I really need to elaborate :rolleyes:

#1227 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 15:34

*wonders how many pages that would last* ;)

#1228 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 15:46

Well, in keeping with the practice of monosyllabic commentary . . .

No.

Thanks.

#1229 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,859 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 16:28

Yeah, you do. Mike Cannon is a race winning engineer so if he says something about Indycar racing you'll need to do a pretty good job of picking apart what he says.

#1230 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,356 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 16:35

Tripe?

Nope,Menudo.

#1231 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 16:54

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII

Nope,Menudo.

:D

#1232 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 17:01

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Mike Cannon is a race winning engineer so if he says something about Indycar racing you'll need to do a pretty good job of picking apart what he says.

Which is why he should be interesting and why I linked to it. With any luck he'll bring the kind of insight to IndyCar coverage on Speed that Marshall Pruett brings to their sports car coverage.

#1233 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,798 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 19:58

Yeah, you do. Mike Cannon is a race winning engineer so if he says something about Indycar racing you'll need to do a pretty good job of picking apart what he says.

Would Danica Patrick rail off on GoDaddy?

#1234 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 00:15

Being a race engineer does not make you into a business guru, or a PR guru. It does not even make you into a good writer. Nor does it give you any advantage into dealing with fans.
I fail to understand why a race Engineer's opinion is to be held in higher regard than that of a PR or an MBA - specially so if we are not talking about Engineering ;)

#1235 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,356 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:15

Originally posted by shaggy

Being a race engineer does not make you into a business guru, or a PR guru. It does not even make you into a good writer. Nor does it give you any advantage into dealing with fans.
I fail to understand why a race Engineer's opinion is to be held in higher regard than that of a PR or an MBA - specially so if we are not talking about Engineering ;)

Thanks, that was a classic throw away Stonefield.
Seriously, Ross.
Heck, you could stroll through the pits and come with those blurbs on your own.
They have a bit of weight because of who posted them, but there is no there in the whole post,TBH.

#1236 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:23

The article reads like an excerpt from a high school newspaper...

#1237 indyracefan

indyracefan

• 161 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:16

I think it's ridiculous and reflects poorly on the IndyCar Series that a proven winning young American driver such as Ryan Hunter-Reay is without a ride due to not having sponsorship. I mean isn't this a perfect example of the exact scenario that was justification for the formation of the IRL in the first place? IZOD has invested and built a large-scale promotional campaign around R-H-R and as of now he's still not officially a driver for 2008.

I would think that the ICS after already losing American hot-shoes in the past such as Tony Stewart and Sam Hornish would insure that R-H-R is in a seat at St. Pete. However by waiting to do so until the last minute hoping some other sponsorship materializes for him can't be viewed as an encouraging sign to IZOD. If there's ever been a time for Tony George to shell out money for the best interest of IndyCar racing here it is staring him in the face.

Certainly it's not the fault of the ICS that Ethanol bailed nor is it their fault that Rahal/Letterman isn't answering the bell this season. It's also not tecnically the responsibility of the ICS to insure that drivers are able to find sponsorship & rides. However with having a high-profile corporate sponsor invest a major promotional campaign around IndyCar racing & Ryan Hunter-Reay the ICS should've made sure in January that he was signed if only to portray a positive image.

I'm a longtime passionate IndyCar fan but once again the ICS management is dropping the ball.

#1238 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 15:55

IndyCar testing next weekend at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Anybody making the trek to Birmingham?

#1239 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 17:15

IndyCar testing next weekend at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Anybody making the trek to Birmingham?

I might, it's about 90 miles from me.

CC

Advertisement

#1240 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,477 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 18:38

I was flipping channels and caught Indycar top 10 on VS channel. From what I saw I'm impressed with the use of the footage and advertising of the St. Pete's race on the channel. While VS is not on lot of homes but the coverage is a good start. Not even the first race VS already done a better job than ABC/ESPN outside of Indy 500 on covering the series.

#1241 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,275 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 18:05

The addition of Gil deFerran and his team would be a most welcome addition to the IndyCar series, in my opinion. A truly decent guy from all that I've seen.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/73717

Brian

#1242 y2cragie

y2cragie

• 271 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 18:42

Does anyone know what Sky are planning for this years indycar coverage?
Thanks guys.

#1243 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 18:44

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck

I might, it's about 90 miles from me.

CC

400+ for me, but I think I'll go. There have been murmurs over the years about IndyCar racing here, so as seldom as they come south (outside of Texas and Florida), I think it's worthwhile to show support. I watched a Grand-Am race at Barber back when they raced there in the fall, and I'll be curious to see if there are any real passing zones for IndyCars.

#1244 TwoCents

TwoCents

• 448 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 23:17

Originally posted by y2cragie
Does anyone know what Sky are planning for this years indycar coverage?
Thanks guys.

Am wondering the same thing. Wasn't it a two-year contract, or am I confused with the NASCAR thing?

#1245 SKL

SKL

• 604 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:22

Gil is a class act- I agree. Will be interesting to see him race against his old team, and to see what driver or drivers he brings along...

#1246 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,712 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 18:30

I hear Sky are doing exactly what they did last year.
But seeing there is now zero UK interest in the NASCAR series....we may get the better end of the stick

So far the listing say...

Sun 05 Apr 19:30
Streets Of St Petersburg Indy Car Series Sky Sports Xtra (19:30-22:00)

Sun 19 Apr 21:00
Streets of Long Beach Indy Car Series Sky Sports 3 (21:00-23:30)

Now...Anyone know if the Indycar website will be doing live race video like they did last year?
Or do we find out a day or two before each race again?

Jp

#1247 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,275 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 14:42

Michael Andretti has a few comments on the 2010 season sponsorship issues in this morning's Indy Star.

http://www.indystar....4/1052/SPORTS01

Brian

#1248 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,275 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:58

According to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com IndyCar practice will be shown at www.indy500.com at the following dates and times:

Indy Lights - Saturday March 21 - 10 AM to 6 PM

IndyCars - Sunday March 22 - 10 AM to 6 PM

IndyCars - Monday March 23 - 10 AM to 6 PM

jonpollack - I would think, based on the practice coverage, that www.indycar.com or www.indy500.com will be covering each race. Haven't checked any website schedules to confirm this though.

Brian

#1249 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 00:50

I'm headed to the test at Barber tomorrow. I'll let you know what I (don't) see.

CC

#1250 indyracefan

indyracefan

• 161 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:55

Originally posted by jonpollak
I hear Sky are doing exactly what they did last year.
But seeing there is now zero UK interest in the NASCAR series....we may get the better end of the stick

So far the listing say...

Sun 05 Apr 19:30
Streets Of St Petersburg Indy Car Series Sky Sports Xtra (19:30-22:00)

Sun 19 Apr 21:00
Streets of Long Beach Indy Car Series Sky Sports 3 (21:00-23:30)

Now...Anyone know if the Indycar website will be doing live race video like they did last year?
Or do we find out a day or two before each race again?

Jp

I haven't heard or read anything that has said they won't. I believe ICS/IMS is offering the Race Control option for members of Downforce (the ICS fan club) free this season so one would think they'll still be streaming the races through their web-site.