Jump to content


Photo

IndyCar 2009 (merged)


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
1624 replies to this topic

#1351 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller
  • Member

  • 4,032 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:08

Originally posted by Pikachu Racing


Actually Hattori did 180 from CART to Indycar. He became a capable driver and hardly made a mistake driving for Bradley Motorsports.

When Hattori was driving in IRL, it was a series that mostly drove on 1.5 mile ovals, and with the cars that could easily go flat out all the way around. Obviously the skill required to drive those cars was very minimal, compared to say driving at Laguna Seca, and it was the failed attempt to do the latter that finally got Hattori banned from CART.

Advertisement

#1352 B Squared

B Squared
  • Member

  • 3,156 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:37

Penske to three cars if Castroneves cleared, per RP:

http://www.indystar....S0107/904050389

Brian

#1353 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback
  • Member

  • 6,358 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:42

Originally posted by Slyder
What did I tell you guys?

Wilson put Dale Coyne on P2.


:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliant, let's hope he can stick it past the NHL at the race.

#1354 Rob

Rob
  • Member

  • 8,170 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 05 April 2009 - 14:16

Who'd have thought it? :)

This will be a great boost for Justin and for the whole Coyne team.

#1355 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 14:57

Originally posted by Rob
Who'd have thought it? :)

This will be a great boost for Justin and for the whole Coyne team.


Indeed. I hope Coyne is up to the pit stops; that's where Penske, TCGR, and NHL are unlikely to falter.

#1356 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 14:58

And yes, I left AGR out on purpose.

#1357 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 15:15

Only a 20% chance of rain today in St. Petersburg, but gusty.

http://www.weather.c...archbox_localwx

#1358 Der Pate

Der Pate
  • Member

  • 624 posts
  • Joined: February 09

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:42

Will there be a single thread for Indycar for the whole 2009...or will there be threads for every race...???

I don´t want to open such a thread, if the other users don´t want that...

#1359 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 18:36

FWIW, I'd prefer a single thread.

Advertisement

#1360 Der Pate

Der Pate
  • Member

  • 624 posts
  • Joined: February 09

Posted 05 April 2009 - 18:41

Originally posted by red stick
FWIW, I'd prefer a single thread.


OK for me...

#1361 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing
  • Member

  • 5,465 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:31

Big wreck in turn 12 between Danica Patrick and Raphael Matos. Drago Luziano team has yet finish a race after their 2007 Indy 500 finish.

#1362 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:31

Short day for Danica.

#1363 nainz

nainz
  • Member

  • 180 posts
  • Joined: October 08

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:33

Are the red tyres softer or harder than the blacks?

#1364 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,211 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:36

Yes.

#1365 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:37

The reds are softer.

#1366 nainz

nainz
  • Member

  • 180 posts
  • Joined: October 08

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:37

Thought so :kiss:

#1367 nainz

nainz
  • Member

  • 180 posts
  • Joined: October 08

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:51

Adverts are a bit much :down:

Wilson is having a good race so far, it's a pity there are a lack of overtaking positions.

#1368 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing
  • Member

  • 5,465 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:56

Full course yellow for Stanton Barrett stalled car in turn 8. Barrett is out of his league here.

#1369 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:56

I would have figured Barrett's day would have ended much earlier. Good for him.  ;)

#1370 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:05

What happened to Scott Dixon?

#1371 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,078 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:06

Will Power overshot his pit and blocked Dixon getting into his, so he had a very slow stop.

#1372 WillG

WillG
  • Member

  • 42 posts
  • Joined: April 09

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:09

Rahal is creeping... :stoned:

#1373 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT
  • Member

  • 1,243 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:19

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Will Power overshot his pit and blocked Dixon getting into his, so he had a very slow stop.


So there's no penalties for anything like this? Also, holy shit how many ad breaks can you fit into a broadcast?

#1374 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:20

Originally posted by ClubmanGT
Also, holy shit how many ad breaks can you fit into a broadcast?


Watched a NASCAR race recently?

#1375 WillG

WillG
  • Member

  • 42 posts
  • Joined: April 09

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:23

At least they have the side-by-side

#1376 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT
  • Member

  • 1,243 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:25

Originally posted by WillG
At least they have the side-by-side


Not on the world feed, NZ is getting this on ESPN.

#1377 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 21:06

Congrats to Briscoe.

Nice job by Wilson. And Manning!

#1378 Slyder

Slyder
  • Member

  • 5,453 posts
  • Joined: August 01

Posted 05 April 2009 - 21:13

Feel a little bad for Wilson, the car went away from him at the crucial stage.

Congrats to Briscoe and Ryan Hunter-Reay who pretty much did the charge of the day.

#1379 potmotr

potmotr
  • Member

  • 9,999 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 05 April 2009 - 21:26

When was the last time Scott Dixon crashed out of a race? 2007?

Advertisement

#1380 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 05 April 2009 - 22:15

Originally posted by Slyder
Feel a little bad for Wilson, the car went away from him at the crucial stage.

Congrats to Briscoe and Ryan Hunter-Reay who pretty much did the charge of the day.


Still a good day for Wilson. Fast all weekend and Long Beach, another street race, is next. Coyne should be ecstatic.

As should the folks at Vision. Finally, with RHR, someone who's a threat on road courses.

#1381 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,211 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:19

Should have been Wilson's race. Briscoe got lucky twice with yellows - firstly with a flukily timed pitstop just before a FCY and secondly the needless one when Dixon went off. Without that Wilson wins with ease.

#1382 rghojai

rghojai
  • Member

  • 362 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:30

IRL has its imperfections to be sure, but great that people like Wilson, RHR have real chances to show what they can do while driving for small(er) teams. And a pretty good run for Manning with a last-minute deal. Makes it a lot more interesting when small(er) teams aren't looking at prayers or huge luck to run up front.

#1383 nainz

nainz
  • Member

  • 180 posts
  • Joined: October 08

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:45

As a viewer (watching the vs coverage) I have to say that the continuity of the race was ruined by the ad breaks. I don't know how you Americans put up with it.

Felt a bit sorry for Wilson, he was the driver of the race. But I don't think that car will be fast enough on the ovals.

#1384 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks
  • Member

  • 5,416 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:53

Originally posted by rghojai
IRL has its imperfections to be sure, but great that people like Wilson, RHR have real chances to show what they can do while driving for small(er) teams. And a pretty good run for Manning with a last-minute deal. Makes it a lot more interesting when small(er) teams aren't looking at prayers or huge luck to run up front.


They might be big IRL teams but would they shell out tens or hundreds of thousands to make a St Petersburg specific shock/suspension package, like an F1 team would for each round? Maybe they reserve their spend for Indy, Long Beach etc and so they don't have any special mega$$ stuff compared to small teams at rounds they aren't particularly interested in, hence the relative parity? :confused:

#1385 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,078 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:58

No it's the nature of street circuits. If you qualify well, or have a good strategy, or a particularly quick set of pitstops, or whatever; anything to get you moved up the order, you can just sit there. There's nooooooo overtaking.

#1386 MichaelJP

MichaelJP
  • Member

  • 849 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 06 April 2009 - 13:03

Originally posted by nainz
As a viewer (watching the vs coverage) I have to say that the continuity of the race was ruined by the ad breaks. I don't know how you Americans put up with it.

Felt a bit sorry for Wilson, he was the driver of the race. But I don't think that car will be fast enough on the ovals.


You have to say the race was also ruined by the repeated yellows at the end. Not much can be done about that I guess - a yellow on a street circuit often leads to another as the field gets all bunched up again.

What happened to Wilson though? He seemed to have the race in the bag and then dropped off the pace. I know he was passed into turn 1 at a restart but he never seemed to even threaten after that.

#1387 rghojai

rghojai
  • Member

  • 362 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 06 April 2009 - 13:30

Fair points, Ross, to an extent--dunno if you were going for hyperbole with "no passing;" there ain't a ton, but there is some. That aside, at least it's possible. Feels challenging to think of other racing of any consequence where it's realistically possible for a Coyne-or RHR-sized team to put a car up front... and the driver does have to keep the thing off the walls, avoid collisions.

#1388 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,431 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 06 April 2009 - 13:42

Just saw half an hour so far but thereis a blue car that needs to be black flagged, it is dangerously slow and it appears it's not a mechanical problem ... just slow.

#1389 Slyder

Slyder
  • Member

  • 5,453 posts
  • Joined: August 01

Posted 06 April 2009 - 14:20

Originally posted by Alfisti
Just saw half an hour so far but thereis a blue car that needs to be black flagged, it is dangerously slow and it appears it's not a mechanical problem ... just slow.


IT was Stanton Barrett, showing he was completely and totally out of his depth in IndyCar. he didn't even break the 100MPH barrier in qualifying. Thankfully he crashed the thing and was no longer in the way.

He keeps racing like this, he's gonna get dumped and deservingly so.

#1390 WildmouseX

WildmouseX
  • Member

  • 2,654 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 06 April 2009 - 14:26

Originally posted by rghojai
Fair points, Ross, to an extent--dunno if you were going for hyperbole with "no passing;" there ain't a ton, but there is some. That aside, at least it's possible. Feels challenging to think of other racing of any consequence where it's realistically possible for a Coyne-or RHR-sized team to put a car up front... and the driver does have to keep the thing off the walls, avoid collisions.


the car of tomarrow has done that for nascar - small teams like tony stewart racing, michael waltrip racing, and red bull have been very compeditive up front so far this year.

#1391 WildmouseX

WildmouseX
  • Member

  • 2,654 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 06 April 2009 - 14:28

Originally posted by Slyder


IT was Stanton Barrett, showing he was completely and totally out of his depth in IndyCar. he didn't even break the 100MPH barrier in qualifying. Thankfully he crashed the thing and was no longer in the way.

He keeps racing like this, he's gonna get dumped and deservingly so.


stanton is a pretty good driver, but he doesn't get much open wheel experience doing movie stunt's so it will probably take him longer to figure them out.

#1392 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld
  • Member

  • 57,078 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 06 April 2009 - 14:29

Calling them small teams is very generous.

#1393 Rob G

Rob G
  • Member

  • 10,891 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 06 April 2009 - 17:32

They really should have made "Standstill" Barrett do a couple street races in Indy Lights before letting him do one in an Indy car. I think he'll do better on the ovals though. At least I hope so.

#1394 Der Pate

Der Pate
  • Member

  • 624 posts
  • Joined: February 09

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:27

I would never thought of that...but...this race was soooo boring compared to the first two F1-races...

I begin to hate this girl Patrick...again a shunt and she isn´t guilty again...have you seen the face of the other driver...???...he was almost frightened...

Good to see the future F1 with racing cars without tyre-heaters...these cars had troubles to get away from the pits...

#1395 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,431 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:31

It wasn't her fault though, the other bloke made a muppet move.

#1396 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII
  • Member

  • 5,305 posts
  • Joined: November 05

Posted 06 April 2009 - 19:33

Originally posted by Der Pate
I begin to hate this girl Patrick...again a shunt and she isn´t guilty again...have you seen the face of the other driver...???...he was almost frightened...


She is a piece of work.
I hope the next driver she slaps just flat out decks her.

#1397 rghojai

rghojai
  • Member

  • 362 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 06 April 2009 - 21:36

Might be getting off-topic, but having seen pics of the garages/HQ's for Stewart/Hass, MWR, RB, they ain't small. Smaller than Hendrick, Roush, sure, but seems the difference is much less than the one 'tween Coyne, etc., and Penske, AGR, TCGR

#1398 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,211 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 06 April 2009 - 22:03

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII


She is a piece of work.
I hope the next driver she slaps just flat out decks her.

She seemed very calm for a driver who had just been taken out by a rookie with an idiotic move.

#1399 Seanspeed

Seanspeed
  • Member

  • 14,392 posts
  • Joined: October 08

Posted 06 April 2009 - 23:21

Originally posted by ensign14

She seemed very calm for a driver who had just been taken out by a rookie with an idiotic move.

Definitely. I really dont like her attitude 99% of the time, but had she gotten really upset, she would have been fully justified in this case.

And it was a real shame that Wilson didn't win. He was without a doubt the star of the race.

Advertisement

#1400 Rob G

Rob G
  • Member

  • 10,891 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:01

Originally posted by ensign14

She seemed very calm for a driver who had just been taken out by a rookie with an idiotic move.

During the pre-race show she said that she was working on her anger management skills.