IndyCar 2009 (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1624 replies to this topic

#1401 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,201 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:38

Originally posted by Rob G

During the pre-race show she said that she was working on her anger management skills.

It showed, she was pretty composed when you consider that it's Danica. Still pretty annoyed at this race, got up at six to watch it and Dixon's race is ruined by someone driving into his pitbox, which is apparently perfectly OK in the IRL.

Advertisement

#1402 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,354 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:39

Good old Will Power, will do the fastest laps of the race then will do something stupid like hit a safety car or something.

#1403 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,261 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:02

Originally posted by ensign14

She seemed very calm for a driver who had just been taken out by a rookie with an idiotic move.

Really.
How many times do you think she should get in somebodies face after an incident?
6 times?
7?
I am somehow reminded of the reaction when another driver starts physical contact after an incident.
Something along the line of Tagliani vs. Tracy, or Harvick/Montoya.
If another racer gets in your face after an incident, its OK for some verbal back and forth, but when you start the physical slapping, grabbing, throwing, I believe all bets are off.
These irl irl guys have no resort against a chick batting them around on broadcast, meanwhile she has free rein.
Chickenshit.
Bush League.
And WTF is she doing in a top line car battling with a rook trying to pass her anyway?

#1404 rghojai

rghojai

• 361 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:01

So it's okay to "flat out deck her?" Stay classy.

#1405 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,791 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:02

I don't think drivers should resort to fisticuffs, but the exclusion isn't based on gender differences. Danica asks for whatever she ends up getting.

#1406 Option1

Option1

• 12,912 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:44

Yep - she slaps someone she deserves the appropriate response.

Neil

#1407 rghojai

rghojai

• 361 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:32

Ah, but there's the question: What is the appropriate response? The next man who's slapped by a woman (and published reports say she tapped the guy on the head, as in, "This thing on top of your neck, use it) and pushes her away won't be the first. Assuming the push isn't down a flight of stairs or full force into a wall (no pun intended)--reasonable people won't have a problem with it.

Slap = deck her is something else. People have their own opinions about what that is, but I'm happy that in most societies, "something else" usually equals jail.

This is not to say Danica is wise or smart.

Now we seem to have nicer labels like "anger management" and "control issues," but except for rare occasions where it's a matter of brain chemistry/brain injury, it's simply being a childish egomaniac who's far too quick to have temper tantrums.

We'll see what comes of it, but I give her credit for trying to get a handle on it if for no other reason she seemed to perhaps be heading down a road where she'd blow up at/slap the wrong person (aka a cop), find herself facing assault charges.

#1408 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 13:48

Another question...as I saw the car of Scott Dixon...why doesn´t he drive with the number 1...???

Also there is Matos with "2" and Rahal with "02"...strange...

How do the drivers get their numbers...???

And why is there no Number 1...???

#1409 Option1

Option1

• 12,912 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 14:18

Originally posted by rghojai
Ah, but there's the question: What is the appropriate response? The next man who's slapped by a woman (and published reports say she tapped the guy on the head, as in, "This thing on top of your neck, use it) and pushes her away won't be the first. Assuming the push isn't down a flight of stairs or full force into a wall (no pun intended)--reasonable people won't have a problem with it.

Slap = deck her is something else. People have their own opinions about what that is, but I'm happy that in most societies, "something else" usually equals jail.

This is not to say Danica is wise or smart.

Now we seem to have nicer labels like "anger management" and "control issues," but except for rare occasions where it's a matter of brain chemistry/brain injury, it's simply being a childish egomaniac who's far too quick to have temper tantrums.

We'll see what comes of it, but I give her credit for trying to get a handle on it if for no other reason she seemed to perhaps be heading down a road where she'd blow up at/slap the wrong person (aka a cop), find herself facing assault charges.

See it's that last sentence that in some ways says volumes. Everyone is the wrong person.

Neil

#1410 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:43

Well Tony George stated that there may not be an IRL if it is not profitable by 2013...

Early numbers have the "leagues" ratings down 75% - that's only 233,000 viewers :eek:

Most of this is due to a complete lack of marketing at the track as well as on the television. Also comes down to the obscure network which the IRL chose to sign on with for the next 5 years!!! And lets not forget that only 5 races will be on network TV.

Hard to imagine that sponsors will stay on board with such tiny exposure. And just to remind everyone how stupid those people running the league are... They decided to hold the next race - the largest and most marketable after the 500 (Long Beach), on the same obscure network instead including it in one of those 5 on national tv... One owuld think that using Long Beach as a means to market the 500 would have been a logical thought?

Brilliance :up:

#1411 Collective

Collective

• 1,077 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 13:10

Now way in hell it's going to be profitable by being broadcast on Versus. That obscure channel isn't even offered in my area, doesn't matter which package I get.

Then the marketing efforts, which are nil. A coworker went to Tampa last week, and he found out about the race because he went uptown for dinner. He said there were no signs, posters or anything resembling the event outside the actual circuit area.

ESPN used to have the international broadcast. This year? They'll give 5 races 5.

RIP Indy Car.

#1412 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 13:30

That's quite interesting that you lot mention that.

I have cable (Comcast, to be more specific) and on SPEEDtv they were promoting the race for 2 weeks before it actually started.

I also found the coverage very enjoyable. Although it's obvious that they copied NBC's NASCAR format with Jack Arute being the host. The team of Bob Jenkins, Robbie Buhl and Jon Beekhuis was very enjoyable and insightful. Kudos for Jenkins for not letting his stoic voice get in the way much of the race save for some moments and allow Jon and Robbie pretty much take over the booth.

I honestly liked this coverage and its rather sad that not many people saw it. And the IRL not doing any promoting outside of a few channels reeks of incompetence from their promotion departmen as well as TG's although that's a given.

#1413 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,261 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 13:52

Originally posted by aportinga
Early numbers have the "leagues" ratings down 75% - that's only 233,000 viewers

That is less viewers than ims can seat for the irl500.
At this point I would hope that FTG realizes his vision was more like a hallucination.

#1414 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 14:49

Originally posted by Slyder

I have cable (Comcast, to be more specific) and on SPEEDtv they were promoting the race for 2 weeks before it actually started.

I also found the coverage very enjoyable. Although it's obvious that they copied NBC's NASCAR format with Jack Arute being the host. The team of Bob Jenkins, Robbie Buhl and Jon Beekhuis was very enjoyable and insightful. Kudos for Jenkins for not letting his stoic voice get in the way much of the race save for some moments and allow Jon and Robbie pretty much take over the booth.

I honestly liked this coverage and its rather sad that not many people saw it. And the IRL not doing any promoting outside of a few channels reeks of incompetence from their promotion departmen as well as TG's although that's a given.

It would apprear this would have been a better format in 1996 to build the new series - at least on SPEED however.

Not a good sign 13 years later.

And I stand corrected - this epic failure has a 10 year contract on it with only 5 races broadcasted per year on national TV.

This could be a good thing however because maybe it will usher in new ownership/management - nixing the NA bee-farting Honda engine and lawn dart Dallaras.

2011 - "Run what ya brung" based on an open chassis format which could include the Panoz, Reaynard, Lola and lawn dart. Open the engines up to NA and turbos.... Basically what ever can be had on ebay :lol:

#1415 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,029 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 16:34

Originally posted by Der Pate
Another question...as I saw the car of Scott Dixon...why doesn´t he drive with the number 1...???

Also there is Matos with "2" and Rahal with "02"...strange...

How do the drivers get their numbers...???

And why is there no Number 1...???

Marketing. The teams uses the number 9 in their promotions. Fans know that the number 9 is Scott Dixon.

The numbers are more of a random deal. You pick the numbers you want to run. Not like F1 where they are assigned based on the constructors championship (and WDC).

#1416 917k

• 2,570 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 16:57

Weird.

People watch the race that hate the series...........

And, people closely follow the in-and-outs of the series...........that hate the series. Sounds more like a deathwatch.

To me, that seems a colossal waste of time.

#1417 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,261 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 17:32

Originally posted by 917k
Weird.

And, people closely follow the in-and-outs of the series...........that hate the series. Sounds more like a deathwatch.

What gives you the idea that people can't read news reports in about two minutes ?
You don't have to watch, or even closely follow it.
I can only read about WRC, yet I follow that series pretty closely just by reading the threads here, and TBH, I've never 'hated' the series, I think just the owner and founder of said series is a moron, which has pretty much been found to be true by the depths USOW racing has reached under his stewardship.
Hate is a pretty serious word, other than mustard I can't think of anything else I hate. Well, except for sauerkraut maybe...

#1418 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 17:51

Originally posted by 917k
Weird.

Fanboy - you wated your own time assuming I watched. Sorry to inform you but my wife was admitted to the ER with 13 kidney stones @ 1352 and only got out yesterday. None the less we were on the way to the park for lunch with the kids when we diverted to the Hospital - around the time the race started.

No intentions to watch at all.

Now then - care to comment on the concept that America doesn't give a shit about your series?

Here is a current list of the excuses being bantered about the web by folks such as you - take your pick.

* F1 races re-air at same time
* CART/Champcar spoiled the product
* Its a sucky street race
* Nascar on at same time
* Weather was factor all weekend
* Wait til next race, next month, next year, next 5 years
* so many things that compete for our entertainment dollars now
* people can still be fans of a series and not tune in
* the bright side is that Long Beach should see a bit of an improvement over last year
* Stanley Cup Playoffs are near, and pulling fans away
* Cable companies faults

#1419 rghojai

rghojai

• 361 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 20:25

Sure as the sun rises in the east, aportinga spews vitriol and negativity in this thread. Ya reckon we get it by now?

Advertisement

#1420 Collective

Collective

• 1,077 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 21:12

Originally posted by Slyder

So is it on SpeedTV? I had absolutely no idea. I get that channel (and in HD for F1 :D)... will be checking for the coverage then.

(Speed is so more known than that thing Versus... why not mentioning it?)

#1421 John Morrison

John Morrison

• 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 21:15

Same old garbage from the bitter, jealous haters. CHAMPCAR IS DEAD! GET OVER IT

RIP CHAMPCAR - IT'S DEAD AND GONE FOREVER AND NO ONE CAN EVER BRING IT BACK!

#1422 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,019 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 21:23

Originally posted by aportinga
Early numbers have the "leagues" ratings down 75% - that's only 233,000 viewers :eek:

That's not surprising, unfortunately. No matter how dedicated the niche channels are to Indycars, they can't come even close to matching ESPN when it comes to potential for exposure. Every time either series tried, they suffered mightily. I don't see much hope, to be honest.

#1423 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,261 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 22:45

Originally posted by John Morrison
USOW IS DEAD! GET OVER IT

RIP USOW- IT'S DEAD AND GONE FOREVER AND NO ONE CAN EVER BRING IT BACK!

Fixed it for you.

#1424 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,029 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 22:47

And Tony's League of Fun is not the far behind.

#1425 Option1

Option1

• 12,912 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 00:05

Originally posted by Collective

So is it on SpeedTV? I had absolutely no idea. I get that channel (and in HD for F1 :D)... will be checking for the coverage then.

Uh no. The IRL races are NOT on Speed, they are on Versus only. They were merely advertised on Speed.

Neil

#1426 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 00:19

Originally posted by rghojai
Sure as the sun rises in the east, aportinga spews vitriol and negativity in this thread. Ya reckon we get it by now?

Discussing ratings is out of bounds - should we just turn our heads at 13 years of excellence?

Seems too me that people like you would rather make it about me then the epic failure.

Thanks - I am flattered :kiss:

#1427 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 00:23

Wilke - Defender???

I'll tell you what I told you before... Seems too me that CART should have died for good in 2004 since the owners did not have the first clue about what they were getting into - or they just could not commit. So as far as I am concerned it's not only dead but should but it should have died in 2004 - would have saved everyone alot of cash and time... Although I did have a good time at RA in 2007 with the family.

Anyhow - thanks for making it about me again! With all the attention I feel like I am prom queen again :blush:

#1428 MichiganF1

MichiganF1

• 1,047 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:52

I do have Versus and tried to watch the race (or a replay of it) in conjunction with watching another sporting event.

I say "tried" because every time I clicked over(and this had to be at least 5 times) the race was under a yellow due to one thing or another. Brutal.

#1429 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:38

Ryan Briscoe on Curt Cavin's radio show this evening.

http://blogs.indysta..._irl_golfe.html

Hope your wife is feeling better, Aportinga.

#1430 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:41

Kanaan on St. Pete.

http://auto-racing.s...end-in-st-pete/

#1431 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 14:10

Originally posted by Collective

It's on Versus, although I didn't mention it since i figured that's a given.;)

I believe however that Speed and versus are sister channels (Versus IIRC was formerly OLN), so it's quite understandable that Speed was promoting the race.

#1432 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,261 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 14:26

Originally posted by red stick
Kanaan on St. Pete.

http://auto-racing.s...end-in-st-pete/

Good article, he's pretty good at this, better than most drivers columns.

#1433 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 14:32

Originally posted by red stick
Ryan Briscoe on Curt Cavin's radio show this evening.

http://blogs.indysta..._irl_golfe.html

Hope your wife is feeling better, Aportinga.

I like Brisco - gentlemen racer.

#1434 rghojai

rghojai

• 361 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 15:14

The "epic failure" or at least a considerable failure is old news.

New ratings are new news... but it's something different when it's the umpteenth time someone finds a way to say, "See? It sucks."

FWIW, I'm well chagrined over the whole ball of wax. Went to Indy 500 practice in '68 when I was about 5, got the recently deceased Lloyd Ruby's autograph. Went to the '82 500, had breathtaking views of the late action 'tween Johncock and Mears, went to a CART race in Calif., have always made a point to watch the 500.

Sure, what's happened is a real shame and there was a massive amount of hubris, stupidity and greed among the decision-makers, with sharply detrimental results. We know that.

Again, challenging to see a point or value in (anyone) relentlessly relating, "It's f'd."

Oh by the way; act like a prom queen, feel like a prom queen. ;)

#1435 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 13:05

Entry list update and possibilities for the Indianapolis 500 from this mornings Indy Star:

http://www.indystar....358/1004/SPORTS

Brian

#1436 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 00:43

Just finished watching St Pete, Justin was the star of that race easily just a pity it was spoiled by those two restarts at the end. I also thought Dan Wheldon had a good race (until its abrupt end) considering how he seemed to struggle with road courses in the past a bit.

As for the coverage, I was watching the international feed so when the adverts were on I just had no commentary. It did mean that it wasn't half weird when they showed 'recaps' of the race cause they weren't screened on Premiere One, so I listened to them whittling on about the highlights while watching something completely different :eek: (can't say I warmed to the commentators anyway but I'll live).

#1437 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:11

Same old garbage from the bitter, jealous haters.

Same old garbage from the Tony George scrotum licking lemming morons. Thanks for ruining our sport you imbeciles. Only got 233,000 of you left in the entire United States lol. Justice is served. You ran millions away. What a success you and you hero made of our once great sport. Hater? Absolutely. I hate every single one of you pissant shits for supporting the lies and incompetence of Tony George. I am enjoying seeing it all go down. You deserve it.

#1438 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,791 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:08

You don't exactly invite new fans yourself, Buford.

#1439 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 13:23

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Haven't you heard Ross?

Buf still has that ole axe to grind. ;)

Advertisement

#1440 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,261 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 15:21

Didn't know he was on the irl payroll.
maybe he should be, they don't seem be able to draw new fans no matter how many millions they spend.

#1441 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 18:13

Sadly, no one can. Not even you, Ross. Kissing up to TG did not help, did it ? I told you not to do it :-)
So many of you thought that killing CC would the "the" solution. Well, now you should know better.

The IRL, even with Indy, is now at the same place CC was a few years ago with Speed/SpikeTV. Doesn't ALMS get more viewers ? One of these days, even GrandAm will have more fans that Indy Racing !

Me ? I am headed to Mexico for the A1GP race. Meanwhile, ALMS and F1.

Kind of fun though to see Indy slowly self-destruct :wave:

#1442 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 19:11

Nobody on this forum created more new fans for the Indianapolis 500 than my family and I did over the decades little man. My family took well over 100 new people to the track who had never attended before in the 37 straight years we went. And tried to spread interest year round for our love of Indy cars through word of mouth, as well as photos (now in the International Motor Racing Research Museum at Watkins Glen) and written articles and even speeches and video presentations in front of groups like Cub Scouts, Kiwanis Clubs etc. . How many new fans did you create?

Kind of fun though to see Indy slowly self-destruct

Yeah it is. I told these fools in 1996 and every year since they were lemming like following a drug burnout over the cliff and destroying out sport. Their task is almost done. Damn right bitter. Piss on them.

#1443 John Morrison

John Morrison

• 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 19:26

All you bit old bats just run any fans off from IndyCar to ChampCar with your bullying and name-calling. You couldn't look at yourselves why there's hardly any fans and you are one of sources of why.

#1444 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,791 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 19:36

Originally posted by Buford

Nobody on this forum created more new fans for the Indianapolis 500 than my family and I did over the decades little man. My family took well over 100 new people to the track who had never attended before in the 37 straight years we went. And tried to spread interest year round for our love of Indy cars through word of mouth, as well as photos (now in the International Motor Racing Research Museum at Watkins Glen) and written articles and even speeches and video presentations in front of groups like Cub Scouts, Kiwanis Clubs etc. . How many new fans did you create?

Seriously, only 100? You've probably aliented that many people on this board. It's not coming back and it will never be the same as it used to be. Quit pissing into the wind, you're getting the rest of us wet. You are the Fox News of these discussions.

If you want to relive the golden days, put a tape in the VCR. I'm trying to make the most of a bad series.

#1445 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 19:51

Seriously, only 100? You've probably aliented that many people on this board. It's not coming back and it will never be the same as it used to be. Quit pissing into the wind, you're getting the rest of us wet. You are the Fox News of these discussions.

If you want to relive the golden days, put a tape in the VCR. I'm trying to make the most of a bad series.

Well over 100 - just guessing 2 or 3 new people every year we took to Indy and that was conservative. They then took others in future years and the mathematical progression probably ran into the thousands. Your scoreboard is? Where is your comment to that Lemming Moron John Morrison???

Well I certainly hope I persuaded more than 100 people on this forum that the IRL is a fraud and ruined the sport, but I sincerely doubt it. They make up their own minds based on the product on the track I think. I doubt your efforts to turn 100 people into TG apologist lemmings such as yourself has been successful either. But I love this comment... should be the IRL's new promotional slogan...

Watch the IRL... trying to make the most of a bad series.

#1446 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,791 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 19:56

You're an angry old man who's experiences clearly didn't actually teach you anything. It's 2009 you know, things have moved on. The war is over, nobody won, but you're running around bayonetting dead bodies hoping for a commendation medal. I mean seriously, wtf?

I've never been an apologist or a lemming, I simply don't care about the petty, personal politics. That was what screwed up the sport.

#1447 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 20:41

Where was your condemnation of this lemming? I was letting you putzes comment on the pretty colors and the zoom zoom sounds without comment until this imbecile showed up. Where did you take him on you little hypocrite?

#1448 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,261 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 21:56

I've never been an apologist or a lemming, I simply don't care about the petty, personal politics. That was what screwed up the sport.

And the politician that won put it into a tailspin...
Your point again.
Making the best out of a bad series?
To correct a bad series, or say a corporation or political direction even, you start at the top.
The top at the irl isn't going anywhere, so the bad series will remain bad.
Enjoy your bad series, Ross, FTG and the irl depends on your sheep like devotion and tossing history on the scrap heap.

#1449 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 22:19

*sigh*

#1450 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 22:32

I can appreciate the rancor over the series--it's at least heartfelt. I don't agree with some poster's conclusions, but I appreciate where they are coming from, by and large.

The migration to ALMS as a supposedly superior form of racing escapes me. Here's the entry list for Long Beach.

http://www.americanl...eachEntries.pdf

Now I like ALMS and have enjoyed the races I've attended. I enjoyed watching the last several hours of Sebring this year. But 20 cars? GT1 is a joke, and has been, and the Acura-Lola duels in P1 and P2 are decidedly one-sided and will make for a long year. Here's another series where if Honda followed Audi and Peugeot and ignored most of the races, it would be nowhere. This series too, in the current economy, appears to be living on memories. If you missed Sebring this year, which race are you dying to attend?