Danica Patrick: Bowling for Porta-Poties

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1502 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 19:48

Originally posted by Buford
Again if you mopes want to gush about "a bad series" as Ross has labeled it without contrary opinion, go gush with the propeller heads on Track Forum who are equally as clueless to matters of integrity and history as you are.

I'm not that impressed with Track Forum.

And I'm perfectly comfortable with the state of my integrity.

As Brian stated earlier, "I'd rather support what we have and work to restore it's greatness than to be on the sidelines reading about the sport in a historical narrative, never to be seen in any form again." You feel differently. I get it. So sorry we disappoint you.

#1503 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 19:54

Originally posted by aportinga

Posted Image

Spare us, that was an over-optimistic move by Matos.

#1504 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 19:58

It's funny - you know laugh?

Relax - you're like a woman.

#1505 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:02

Honest, in the paddock Justin Wilson is "Bad Ass" and Scott Dixon is "Dixie." You all knew this?

#1506 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:07

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Spare us, that was an over-optimistic move by Matos.

And that was a top paid driver in a quality ride trying to hold off a freakin' rookie.
Never thought I'd see the day when you defend a bad driver, even if she is in a bad series.
Danica is the personification of everything that is wrong in USOW.
Watching Danica is akin to watching Entertainment Tonight in order to follow the latest Lindsay Lohan/Britney Spears meltdown, yet she is the most popular driver in that series.
And some people here call NASCAR 'entertainment', not racing. Sheesh...

#1507 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:11

Posted Image

You need a better shot.

That photo doesn't do justice to the pretty colors.

And since they've stalled, you can forget about the zoom-zoom sounds!

:smoking:

#1508 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:13

On the subject of colors what are the yellow things on the back of the truck and tire wall... body bags?

#1509 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:41

Zing! :Brutal:

#1510 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,186 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 22:27

"Honest, in the paddock Justin Wilson is "Bad Ass" and Scott Dixon is "Dixie." You all knew this?" red stick

Mark - These are things that I could personally care less about. No disrespect to you. They are Justin Wilson and Scott Dixon, racecar drivers. That is all I need to know about their respective names. I would never address either by their first names, let alone some nickname. I was brought up to call people Mr., Miss, or Mrs. stateyourlastnamehere until told differently by the person being addressed.

Brian

#1511 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 22:36

Oh, I agree. I'm not suggesting we follow suit. Your form of address is my practice as well. I merely think it's interesting that, among the drivers, this is what they came up with.

#1512 John Morrison

John Morrison

• 41 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 23:10

You wished you were in a bodybag Buford.

#1513 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 23:48

Jesus, the IndyCar thread used to be interesting but it has become an unbelievably shit read.

Please, take your teenage squabbling and name calling elsewhere guys, it is so boring.

#1514 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 23:55

Originally posted by John Morrison

You have no idea how many times he nearly got placed into one...

#1515 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 00:01

Originally posted by potmotr
Jesus, the IndyCar thread used to be interesting but it has become an unbelievably shit read.

Please, take your teenage squabbling and name calling elsewhere guys, it is so boring.

"There's something flamey,
in the IndyCar thread!
Who you gonna call...?"

COME ON!!! :clap:

#1516 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 00:28

Originally posted by John Morrison

Originally posted by Slyder

You have no idea how many times he nearly got placed into one...

Every corner of every lap for 18 years... lol.... yet never scratched a finger. Wonder what momma's boy Morrison ever did in the sport besides homo sex with Tony George?

#1517 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:45

wow.

Are you going to use the N word next? Geezuz...

#1518 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:09

With that creep who has repeatedly wished me dead nothing is too much. Last time was deleted. You support him? Then you are one too huh?

#1519 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:22

Agaiin - there is an ignore button....

Unless you are blind of course :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#1520 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:25

With that creep who has repeatedly wished me dead nothing is too much. Last time was deleted. You support him? Then you are one too huh?

Hey don't get too crazy - your insight will be needed for the Long Beach thread.

Oh that stench will never wash clean after the league leaves the streets!

Less grandstands will equate to more attendance :up:

I AM ROAD AMERICA!

#1521 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:28

Not boring enough to throw two cents into the pot however...
Gotta admit it's still mildly entertaining, and it's not even May yet.
Wait until FTG scrapes the barrel and his wallet to fill the field, that should definitely provide some fun.

BTW, everyone, how are the new engine and chassis rules coming along?

#1522 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:04

It's like Henry Kissinger's observation about university politics: the fights are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.

It's not like we don't have material to work with:

(1) Brian had a nice link the other day to the projected Indy 500 entries.
(2) Scott Sharp plans to run at Indy, and there's some speculation that Patron is hedging its bets on the ongoing viability of ALMS P1 racing and may return to IndyCar next year.
(3) Something similar may be going on at de Ferran Racing, and he has Robert Clarke running his operation now.
(4) Dario Franchitti and Justin Wilson had some interesting comments in their online blogs on Speed. And Power copped to a "I'm with a new team" mistake that answered a few person's questions about the pitstop that ruined Dixon's afternoon.

What comes across from all the recent driver interviews, like Wheldon's on the IndyCar site, and the various driver columns on Speed, from Kanaan's to Power's to Wilson's to Franchitti's, is how happy these guys are to be racing again in a unified series. And how well they get along with each other. Some of that may be PR, but there's a genuine respect among them for what they do, how difficult it is, and how much better the competition is. Also how genuinely happy they are that Coyne and Wilson did well at St. Pete.

These are our heroes. Right? How about a little respect?

#1523 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:19

Hey don't get too crazy - your insight will be needed for the Long Beach thread.

Oh that stench will never wash clean after the league leaves the streets!

I saw Formula One at Long Beach, CART, Champ Car, Formula Atlantic, Trans Am, Celebrities. But no Crapwagons. Never another dime for Tony George.

#1524 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 780 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:23

Hi All,

So after seeing some of the recent posts about the Indy racing league i feel i should post a few observations for all to also consider.

Buford ... I realize your point of view in regards to Tony George and the damage you beleive he has done to the automoble open wheel racing via decisons he started making back in the mid 1990's. In some instances i agree with you observation that initally Mr George made some lame brain calls in what he did to set up the IRL vs Cart. But keep in mind when he made his decisions open wheel racing was entering an era where long time stars like Foyt ,Rutherford , Mears , Mario Andretti were finally retiring after very extended carreers racing that previously were not the norm in open wheel .
You had a void where the new guys now at the top were mostly unknowns in comparison to those guys and combined with the techology changing the cars into basically rockets on the edge of control on most tracks . I came to the decison Tony could see continueing on a path where potential laps of 245 -250 mph at indy were not in the best interests of drivers longevity to become the next genration of stars to americans. I also note the names i mentioned retiring also were americans that had managed to keep winning despite the influx of foreign drivers who to be honest many american fans could care the least about .
So i deep down still feel Mr George felt what he did was an effort to keep Indy car a majority american driver based series since the battle for american built cars had be long decided .
Which if you truely looked at things was no longer possible since the "feeder" series for indy car from where most americans had come from in the past was totally non compatable to developing the skills at actually racing at indy to a great degree.
So in conclusion Buford while i can see why you dont like the actions of Tony George back then i beleive Tony saw that if he didnt at least try some of those things he would end up hosting a series of foriegn drivers in foreign cars for an all american race and not be sure how the american public would react.
( Toyota's entry into Nascar seems to confirm there was some resistance to too much foreign involvement )

And to those that think Buford is wrong keep in mind he still comments on the sport instead of walking totally away so deep down i think he truely has a "soft spot" that thinks just maybe Mr George may yet cause a revival for Indy car racing despitewhat his current postings indicate.

Sorry for the longwindness

Paul

#1525 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:44

Originally posted by red stick
It's like Henry Kissinger's observation about university politics: the fights are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.

It's not like we don't have material to work with:

(1) Brian had a nice link the other day to the projected Indy 500 entries.
(2) Scott Sharp plans to run at Indy, and there's some speculation that Patron is hedging its bets on the ongoing viability of ALMS P1 racing and may return to IndyCar next year.
(3) Something similar may be going on at de Ferran Racing, and he has Robert Clarke running his operation now.
(4) Dario Franchitti and Justin Wilson had some interesting comments in their online blogs on Speed. And Power copped to a "I'm with a new team" mistake that answered a few person's questions about the pitstop that ruined Dixon's afternoon.

What comes across from all the recent driver interviews, like Wheldon's on the IndyCar site, and the various driver columns on Speed, from Kanaan's to Power's to Wilson's to Franchitti's, is how happy these guys are to be racing again in a unified series. And how well they get along with each other. Some of that may be PR, but there's a genuine respect among them for what they do, how difficult it is, and how much better the competition is. Also how genuinely happy they are that Coyne and Wilson did well at St. Pete.

These are our heroes. Right? How about a little respect?

#1526 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:05

The poster above has a point about FTG seeing the old guys leave and nothing there to replace that 'merican feel. Yet in the post above that Red Stick names a slew of drivers and , behold, they are all CART refugees.
Gee, Red Stick, it 'might' be PR fluff? Wow, how astute.
Kanaan, old.
Franchitti, old.
Scott Sharp.
Beyond old.
Wilson and Power, CART developed, not irl.
the irl can speak for Wheldon and patrick and that's about it, and only Wheldon counts in my book.
Coyne was a perennial backmarker for 20 years as the most underfunded team ever, yet now he's a big dog in the irl.That alone tells you how bad things are in USOW.
Who is gonna replace those old guys?
Who is the up and comer dynasty team when the old time team owners are gone?
Ganassi and Andretti? puhleeze
Penske, Old.
Haas,Old
Newman, dead.
Rahal, on a string.
Letterman, gone.
Forsythe, gone.
Green, name only, that's MA's team.
Kalkoven?
Seriously, I see why you have hope for the series, how much worse can it get?
I'd love to have passion again for USOW as I once did. But in it's current state, it's treading water in the most rosy outlook.
Like I said, how's that new formula coming along?
It needs something and it ain't 33 Dallara/Hondas every May ad infinitum.
They got no stars and no cars, and they are trying out the CART playbook, which is alienating the OG irl fans that frothed over an oval only series. So now FTG has alienated TWO fan bases.
I'm hoping.
For change.
And it has to start at the top, the change that is, cause hope hasn't done shit.

#1527 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 780 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:24

Hi Whitewater ,

Actually while it's true most of the current "stars" are former drivers in CART most of car owners themselves started in Cart before the split. And Some even go back to the USAC days as well.

Now as to the future of open wheel i will admit i havent a clue how things will eventually evolve , but rest assured eventually money will dictate the changes needed for this series to survive.
As as example check out the mess the AMA has on it's hands with the vernable Flat track series it has allowed to fall into a severe decline.That series goes back to pre indianapols 500 days and yet you'd be hard pressed to find many who can tell you who the current stars on that circuit are.Just think Ralph Hepburn Paul Goldsmith and Joe Leonard are some of that circuits great stars that eventually raced in Indy cars. If you think open wheel auto racing has declined you havent noticed the decline in flat track motorcycle racing.
As i see it all racing ( not just open wheel) is facing the beginning of a new generation where money isnt as available to go racing and the numbers of owners able to spend freely should be making all series at the least seriously look at ways to cut costs without compromising safety.
There is no reason why the powers that be that run each series cant provide a basic safety shell that builders can creatively build around to produce a competitive race car if they want to compete in that particular series.And til those powers realize this many series that we believe are healthy may in fact be on the verge of folding.
Can anyone here supply info on how much it would cost to provide a safe chassis ( either front or rear engined capacity) that an owner can use to build up a competitive car ?
Also i sense the days of unlimited funding to develope exotic engine parts needs to be contained .( claiming rules anyone?)
The really sad thing is now that i have reread this i cant recall an era when there wasnt at least 1 owner out there in any series who could not spend his opposition into the dust with their cash.

This is a great forum and with the combined intelligence of the folks here we can resolve this issues and try in our own way to enlighten those in charge that may read these boards.

Putting the soapbox away

Paul

#1528 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:27

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII

And that was a top paid driver in a quality ride trying to hold off a freakin' rookie.
Never thought I'd see the day when you defend a bad driver, even if she is in a bad series.
Danica is the personification of everything that is wrong in USOW.
Watching Danica is akin to watching Entertainment Tonight in order to follow the latest Lindsay Lohan/Britney Spears meltdown, yet she is the most popular driver in that series.
And some people here call NASCAR 'entertainment', not racing. Sheesh...

She is a bad driver, but I'm defending her because that move wasn't her fault. I have no idea what Matos was doing, it was idiotic. And it's not like he's some GP2 hellraiser fresh off the boat and has to learn the American way of racing, he's come up completely through our system, going back to Skip Barber regiionals in 2002. That's simply not a passing zone and if you're going to try to get past by spooking someone you'd better be at least even with them at turn in, otherwise the corner is too fast and too narrow. I'd have said the same if that was Montoya trying to pass Matsushita.

#1529 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:40

She is a bad driver, but I'm defending her because that move wasn't her fault. I have no idea what Matos was doing, it was idiotic. And it's not like he's some GP2 hellraiser fresh off the boat and has to learn the American way of racing, he's come up completely through our system, going back to Skip Barber regiionals in 2002. That's simply not a passing zone and if you're going to try to get past by spooking someone you'd better be at least even with them at turn in, otherwise the corner is too fast and too narrow. I'd have said the same if that was Montoya trying to pass Matsushita.

I never said it was her fault.
I'm just flabbergasted she was anywhere near this guy, or at least near enough for him to contemplate a dive bomb on her.

#1530 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:57

Are we really going to imply Matos is 'just some rookie' to get a cheap shot in at Danica? It's not like she doesn't have enough actual reasons to have a go at her...

She was having a typically shit street course weekend, botched an overtake of the IRL's latest attempt to add on-track excitement (eg Stanton Barrett), and got run over by an over eager driver in a Jay Penske car.

#1531 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:03

Thanks for the reasoned posts Lemnpiper. I am quite aware what Tony George thought in the early 1990s. It was all put in his head by A.J. Foyt who basically saved his life in the late 1980s and gave him a goal to get off the nose candy - he would become Indy Car Emperor. His destiny.

Problem is he is a moron - burnout. Have you ever heard him talk? He could have done all the damage he did and still not be held as arguably the most hated man in racing history, had he honestly grabbed power by forming a team (he eventually did anyway) persuade half the car owners to support him, and in about 3 years, without spending a half billion dollars and alienating a couple million fans, he could have initiated his plans and they might have had a better chance of working without the rancor and eventually hatred. And even if they failed as miserably as they did anyway, they would all have been in it together.

Nobody had any respect for him and for good reason. He came in wet behind the ears trying to tell self made millionaires what to do, and thought he could get away with it because of who his grandfather was, not who he was. You didn't see Bill France Jr have these problems did you. Because he wasn't a moron.

i think he truely has a "soft spot" that thinks just maybe Mr George may yet cause a revival for Indy car racing despite what his current postings indicate.

No honestly I have no hope for that at all. I did until he agreed to a merger in 1999 and then backed out. At that point I wanted either CART to "win" and survive and they could run stock cars at Indy or whatever or for it all to go down. Since CART didn't win, I want it dead and buried. A everlasting symbol of failure of Tony George and his ******* lemmings.

Never ever another dime for Tony George. Over 2 million former fans agree. 233,000 left to go.

#1532 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:29

Tony George is indeed not a well speaking, or seemingly bright, man; but how dumb do you have to be to piss off the guy who owns the track? You'd love to think he'd have been benevolent but I've yet to work for a private company where the boss wasn't primarily looking after himself.

At Newman-Haas there were often times where the team didn't agree with the decisions the owners made, which is true of any racing team or indeed any company. But what it came down to was who had their name on the door and you reached a point where a decision was final and you had to make the best of it.

Just about nothing George did can be excused but I keep coming back to the same thought over and over. "This could have been avoided" and I'm annoyed with a few specific owners rather than George since it takes two sides to have an argument. Yeah he definitely started it but they didn't have to keep it going and they should have been smarter about it. They were the self-made millionaires and racing experts, remember?

I think what you said about team ownership is right, and Robin Miller brought it up recently that George has taken a backseat role the last few years since he's had his own team, which he seems more happy to run. If he had formed Vision in the early 90s to give 'deserving dirt track Americans their shot at the big show' this could have gone very differently. It probably would have been ideal for everyone because it would have allowed the CART crowd their side of the grandstand and the TrackForum-esque whiners to drag their knuckles and pretend Donny GoFast was going to be competitive against professional Formula car drivers. There's a lot of room inside Indianapolis and they could have offered something for everyone. But no, like any group the smaller it was and the longer it was the same participants the more petty it became and we're the ones who lose out from it.

#1533 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:36

Wow we have come to semi agreement.

#1534 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,186 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:01

Paul Tracy appears to be set for the "500" :

http://blogs.indysta...the_indy_1.html

Brian

#1535 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 14:34

Given Buford's years on track in the heat of competition, I'm curious about how he rates the current drivers. We know how he rates TG, but what about Kanaan? Dixon? Briscoe? I'm not a racer--how do racers look at current racers?

#1536 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 14:44

I saw Formula One at Long Beach, CART, Champ Car, Formula Atlantic, Trans Am, Celebrities. But no Crapwagons. Never another dime for Tony George.

Yeah - me too. Nor my kids for that matter. Although I did agree to party in the Coke Lot this May as long as my camping is free. Not crossing the street however. I figure with everyone heading in for the 500 that it would be a great opportunity to head West on Crawfordsville road and get out of dodge in time to have dinner back home with the family.

#1537 jdanton

jdanton

• 741 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 14:45

In my opinion, the front of the field in the IRL this year, is probably better than it's been in a long while. There aren't too many people who completely suck, and the top 10 is pretty close. And I'm generally an IRL hater.

#1538 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 14:52

Originally posted by red stick
Given Buford's years on track in the heat of competition, I'm curious about how he rates the current drivers. We know how he rates TG, but what about Kanaan? Dixon? Briscoe? I'm not a racer--how do racers look at current racers?

He probably hates all the bastards ;)

I remember Buford once commenting how much he hated Bobby Rahal and vice versa when they raced each other while growing up. I remember him saying that "he was an exceptional talent in the car and an arrogant prick out of it."

Hopefully Buf doesn't have an axe to grind with Graham though...;)

#1539 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:01

I know someone at one of B.Rahal's ex(and very big) sponsors and they described him as distant and aloof. Though at the time they had already agreed to part at the end of the contract so I guess the need to grip and grin had disappeared.

Advertisement

#1540 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:03

Originally posted by Slyder
He probably hates all the bastards ;)

I'm inclined to doubt that--if you've read his material on TNF you'll know what I mean. I think he'd bring a keen eye to the topic: who would stack up well in any era, who's lucky to have a job, who's a real racer and who's a poseur. Part of the pleasure of this site in general is the regular contributions of racing historians, former racers, former mechanics, former team owners, etc. Might as well take advantage of it.

#1541 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:06

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII

I'm hoping.
For change.
And it has to start at the top, the change that is, cause hope hasn't done shit.

This all could have been avoided... THAT is the very sad part. I in fact was on board with the merger but as details emerged I threw in the towel. This was no merger - it was a buy out with TG obtaining intelectual rights which means he technically can run CART/ChampCar from 1996-2007 right out of the history books. And in some cases that is already happening.

This should have been a buy out. TG should have expensed a reduced schedule for 2008 - maybe 6 key races for CC only which could have been races such as Road America, Edmonton, Toronto, Long Beach, Mt Tremblant and Portland. These should have been the courses he spent that year (2008) negotiating with for the 2009 schedule.

He (TG) should have told Dallara and Honda that the books were open to the Cosi Turbo, Lola and Panoz -this would have saved CC teams tons of money based on the fact that they already had equipment and testing data.

More teams would have come over - we would have had diversity and we would have had a schedule which was reflective of a true merger.

What we have now is shit. Franly I cannot fathom how anyone can enjoy this shit based on how many times the leadership has shot themselves in the foot.

#1542 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:07

Wow we have come to semi agreement.

*plugs hole in space time*

#1543 tifosi

tifosi

• 13,289 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:11

Franly I cannot fathom how anyone can enjoy this shit based on how many times the leadership has shot themselves in the foot.

Basically, in my case, I just watch the cars race on Sunday. If I'm home. I could really care less about the rest and I have zero idea what any standings may be. I don't really follow the series at all. I'f I'm really lucky I'll make it ro RIR in June with a bucket of chicken and a case a beer.

#1544 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:11

He (TG) should have told Dallara and Honda that the books were open to the Cosi Turbo, Lola and Panoz -this would have saved CC teams tons of money based on the fact that they already had equipment and testing data.

Your idea of a merger is to have three different rulebooks for cars and two sets for engines? We would have had The Split II within hours.

#1545 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:18

Are we really going to imply Matos is 'just some rookie' to get a cheap shot in at Danica? It's not like she doesn't have enough actual reasons to have a go at her...

She was having a typically shit street course weekend, botched an overtake of the IRL's latest attempt to add on-track excitement (eg Stanton Barrett), and got run over by an over eager driver in a Jay Penske car.

As far as I am concerned the longer she is a part of the series the less "top tier" it can claim to be.

#1546 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:20

had he honestly grabbed power by forming a team (he eventually did anyway) persuade half the car owners to support him, and in about 3 years, without spending a half billion dollars and alienating a couple million fans, he could have initiated his plans and they might have had a better chance of working without the rancor and eventually hatred. And even if they failed as miserably as they did anyway, they would all have been in it together.

Truth be told had TG offered 3 times the value of the Franchises in 1991 (Houston) he could have been done with this by 1992 and spent 1/100th of what he has today.

#1547 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:23

Originally posted by jdanton
In my opinion, the front of the field in the IRL this year, is probably better than it's been in a long while. There aren't too many people who completely suck, and the top 10 is pretty close. And I'm generally an IRL hater.

Agreed.

#1548 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:32

Your idea of a merger is to have three different rulebooks for cars and two sets for engines? We would have had The Split II within hours.

Why - we had multiple engines and chassis in the series for years. Are the people involved now incapable of managing that?

What the hell are you talking about?

#1549 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 15:41

Because all the cars and engines were built to different rules.

IRL chassis are built to one set of rules, the Lolas and Reynards to another, and the Panoz to a third. And then you have normally aspirated vs turbo charged engines of different sizes. It'd be an absolutely nightmare trying to get them all together. It'd be less competitive than the way it is now because the smaller teams would be stuck with whatever cars they had leftover instead of trying to get the one that was most competitive. You might as well let in Indylights and old F1 cars while you're at it.

And can we get over the Danica infatuation, even briefly? She's such a non-entity now. I think the best thing to ever happen was her 'win' because every race is no longer "Can she do it this weekend??!!!?!?!?!" and she's just another driver now, one that happens to bring some extra attention which they can ill afford to dispose of. She's no different now than anyone else who brings sponsorship with them. Worst case scenario she at least puts an extra card on the grid.

Though it is comical, everyone was pro-Danica when she was in the CART-ladder and loved Kathy Legge. It's about politics, nothing else.

#1550 rghojai

rghojai

• 368 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 16:15

Franly I cannot fathom how anyone can enjoy this shit based on how many times the leadership has shot themselves in the foot.

Franly (sic) I cannot fathom how people fail to grasp that others have differing interests and opinions... .

Agreed with above: If it's decent on the track, that's enough for me to pay casual attention, consider going to a track in the area to see it. Simple as that. As people have noted, there is decent talent in the top 10.

Oh, with the prospect of putting people on Ignore; the next one won't be the first, but the quotes others use and the dialogue based on what's not seen still clogs up the thread (with tired rehash).