Photo

Church Farm Racing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:35

Having read on the Sid Taylor thread that Bernard Hender was involved in this team . But so was Tom Wheatcroft . Any explanations as to how this team came and went ?

Advertisement

#2 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:39

For a laugh...;)

Bjørn, a search for "Church Farm" throws up about thirty threads, I'm sure we have discussed this before. Why don't you use the search feature first?

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:12

In his autobiography Wheatcroft mentions Church Farm and Hender several times, but gives no indication that he (Tom) was ever personally involved with the team.

#4 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:16

Bjorn,
I was leafing through an April 1971 Motoring News last night, checking some details from the Montjuich GP that year. On page 22, below 'Track Topics', is a small advert.

" Sad news from the South of England.....CHURCH FARM RACING......Peter Gethin ...Derek Bell....is finally to close its doors......(because) nobody wants the use of one of the finest racing workshops......."

Interested parties are asked to contact Michael Earle or David Dear in Bognor Regis.

Just above, within 'Track Topics', is a small article confirming the closure. This article refers to the workshop in "Pagham...owned by Derek Bell's stepfather Bernard 'THE Colonel' Hender. Church Farm was home for all Bell's F3 cars, his F2 Brabham BT23C and latterly the Wheatcroft F1 and F2 Brabhams. It was also the base for Peter Gethin's F5000 and McLaren M10A during his first championship season, but with Bell occupied driving for John Wyer and Frank Williams he will have no call on the facilities this year......."

John

#5 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:49

Thanks for the infos , Tim and John , explains why the picture I've seen of a transporter says :

TOM WHEATCROFT RACING F1 Brabham , F2 Brabham , Derek Bell etc.

Church Farm , Pagham

#6 JonnyA

JonnyA

• 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 15:11

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I am looking for information on the Church Farm BT23Cs that were raced in F2 in 1968. I am trying to make some cars for Grand Prix Legends and I need to know the colour scheme that was used, if anyone knows or, even better, has any photos.

Thanks in advance.