Photo

Eagle Mountain 1958 3 hour Enduro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 21:01

I just came across a number of interesting photos of a race I never even realized took place. The images were taken at Eagle Mountain, Texas, in late 1958. The race was called an Enduro, which probably indicates a 3-hour event as the one staged the year before. The photos show:

- Ebb Rose in a Maserati 300S
- Bob Stonedale in a Jaguar XK-SS
- A modified Thunderbird [Paul Packard?]
- Frank Davis [Mangham-Davis Special]

Does anybody know the date of this event and who won? I can't find any trace in the SCCA magazines of 1958.

On behalf of Willem Oosthoek

Advertisement

#2 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 22:09

I found this

Texas Championships, Eagle Mountain [JP] 06/7-8/58 - car no. 65 / winner Malcolm Wright - Excelsior 492

not sure if it's the race your refering to . That's all the info I have on it .

Are you sure the date is right , and it's not the "Frostbite" race they held in February 59 ?

#3 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 23:27

RedArmy:
That Excelsior car of Wright sounds as though it was a small capacity car.

As you mention, there was a weekend of racing on June 7-8, 1958, called the Sunburn Races. Frank Davis won the feature in his Mangham-Davis Special [with Chevy engine], over strong competition in the form of A.D. Logan [625TRC/Monza], Jim Hall [250S] and Ebb Rose [300S]. No Stonedale and his XK-SS in this one, though and the number on Rose's car is different. Just looked up the results and Malcom Wright did win Race 3 in a Berkley.

The Frostbite Races were actually held in January 1958, although they showed in February on the SCCA calendar. A miserable weekend based on the weather, and different players from the photos I discovered.

The third race weekend came on October 11-12, the Fall Round-Up Races, but here Ebb Rose ran his 450S Maserati, so it could not have been that one either.

This means there was a fourth event at Eagle Mountain that year, most likely after the October 11-12 one, but reports are elusive.

all research Willem Oosthoek

#4 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 15:05

Posted Image
An unidentified Alfa Romeo about to be gobbled up by two Houston drivers, Bob Stonedale with his XK-SS and Ebb Rose in his late-model 300S Maserati.

Under a regular SCCA scenario an Alfa would not compete in the same race as the big modifieds, which indicates this was a longer-distance event where smaller production cars would be included.
all research Willem Oosthoek.

#5 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 20:40

SCCA ran full National Championship races at Eagle Mountain, which I believe was a Texas Air National Guard base, in 1956 and 1957, but not thereafter. This would indicate that any race in 1958 or later was an SCCA REgional at best.
Tom

#6 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 22:30

RA Historian: You are correct. All 1958 events were regionals hosted by the Texas Region in Dallas/Fort Worth. The last Eagle Mountain race I have been able to find was the Frostbite event in February 1959.
No races for that region during the rest of the year or in 1960. By 1961 Green Valley became their regular Dallas/Fort Worth track.

all research Willem Oosthoek.